Michael Thomas contract compared to Amari Cooper

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Seen on Twitter (not sure how to post it here so if anybody can do that it would be much appreciated) that the Saints are willing to make Michael Thomas the highest paid receiver in the league. Depending on what he signs for would this raise Cooper's demands or lowers them? Personally I want to get our guys signed first before everybody else raises the market. We have already seen it with Wentz and Dak.
How are you going to compare Amari with MT when Amari hasn't even played one full season for the Cowboys and MT has 3 full seasons on tape with the Saints. It's not a fair comparison to either player, so I reject the premise of the question.

Last edited:

jrumann59

Reaction score
If Romo could make players better than why he couldn't make Roy Williams better or Sam Hurd or why he couldn't make Beasley have career numbers.

Speaking of numbers you say Beasley isn't a bad player...... He averaged 500 yards and 5 TDs until he played with Dak which he increased his yardage by 300 yards.
Could it be that Romo saw Beasley as a smaller version of Witten, they work the same part of the field, Witten even slow is more of a vertical threat than Beasley that would run 30 yards across the field to gain 5 yards.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Let's also consider who has been throwing the ball to Michael Thomas in contrast to Amari's situation. That's not to say Dak is no good but Drew Brees is an elite QB in his prime with elite accuracy... advantage Thomas.

superonyx

Reaction score
Amari Cooper has 115 fewer catches than Thomas the last three years.

And 900 fewer yards and 4 TDS less, but with one more 100 yard game.

Thomas is incredibly consistent at catching the ball. Drew Brees doesn’t hurt.

Amari is more of a gamebreaker

Thomas has 4 career TDS over 20 yards. Amari has 17.

Thomas only has 2 career scores from more than 25 yards out.

Amari has all 17 including 4 just from Dak in half a season.
All good points.
But the biggest factor is Cooper played for the Raiders and Carr and Thomas plays with Brees.

I think of it like this. Would I be willing to trade Cooper for Thomas straight up today? I wouldn't. I see Thomas as a guy who need Brees. Cooper seems to be a guy who makes his QB's better and not the other way around.

We are going to have to face facts that Cooper is going to be paid big time. It hurts but he deserves it. (as much as anyone could deserve million to play a kids game haha)

kento40

Reaction score
Could it be that Romo saw Beasley as a smaller version of Witten, they work the same part of the field, Witten even slow is more of a vertical threat than Beasley that would run 30 yards across the field to gain 5 yards.
I guess people forget Miles Austin, Laurent Robinson, Patrick Crayton. Making them all better while having a Mediocre run game and an o-line that got him sacked 173 times in his first seven years playing. I would love to see how Dak would have stacked up to an undrafted Tony Romo under those circumstances all while making average receivers look all-pro.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Don’t pay any attention to the clueless troll... Beasley wasn’t any “better” in 2016 than he was in 2014. He was just utilized more. As a matter of fact his rate stats from the two years are almost identical, with the exception that he produced TDs at a higher rate in 2014.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
People saying a trade was bad doesn't make the player bad. And so what if Beasley had the best season of his career with Dak? Again, Beasley isn't a bad player...he just needs to stop talking about Dallas at this point.

If Dak makes players better them why did we need to trade for Cooper? In the past, Romo made careers for guys like Miles Austin, Laurent Robinson, Patrick Crayton, etc. Guys who put up good numbers here, then went elsewhere and did absolutely nothing. I haven't seen Dak do that yet.

Cooper is the first guy that Dak has made look great. But that wasnt too tought to do. Cooper is great. Beasley had a good year one year with Romo.

But really so what is your point? Dak has been in the league 3 years at the age of 24. You are comparing him to Romo that had an entire career. I expect in his 4th year that Dak start taking over the offense. For several reasons.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I guess people forget Miles Austin, Laurent Robinson, Patrick Crayton. Making them all better while having a Mediocre run game and an o-line that got him sacked 173 times in his first seven years playing. I would love to see how Dak would have stacked up to an undrafted Tony Romo under those circumstances all while making average receivers look all-pro.

When did Crayton and Robinson make all pro as receivers? I think you are stretching that one.

Romo did have a way of making receivers careers, however. The guy could sling it.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every high level receiver that signs a big contract give's Cooper and his agent some fuel. That doesn't mean he will ask for as much or more than Thomas or someone else, but it makes it tougher for the Cowboys to argue for the comparatively low price they may want to pay.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
What's your excuse for Beasley who had his most productive season with Dak?

By the way most folks, even on here, was saying how bad the trade was. How Cooper dropped too many balls etc. To say Dak didn't make Cooper better is silly, same can be said for Cooper helping Dak. They helped each other

Dak's a checkdown Charlie. That's why Beasley was so good.

Amari Cooper is just a good player. He may have been struggling in Grudens system and that's because Gruden is a garbage Offensive coach and is overrated.

Derek Carr and Amari are vertical players and Gruden wants to dink and dunk.

Derek Carr would be better here too.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Every high level receiver that signs a big contract give's Cooper and his agent some fuel. That doesn't mean he will ask for as much or more than Thomas or someone else, but it makes it tougher for the Cowboys to argue for the comparatively low price they may want to pay.
I don't think Amari's value to the Cowboys is linked with how other WRs are valued on other teams. Amari's value is linked to the 1st round draft pick the Cowboys gave up to get him and the way his presence on the team turned their fortune around in 2018. That is how a smart agent will negotiate his contract extension. It's a position that stands on much better footing, IMO.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Phack no!! why do all our players FEEL they deserve to be paid the highest when they arent the best, not even top 5 in some cases other then Zeke? I dont care what the market is, you get paid by production by position, health, and age etc

If everyone of our big time FAS want to be THE highest paid ie next up..i say time to klet tem go and rebuild or restock..im sorry but at some point more teams need to say NO, heres what we are offering or BYE!

kento40

Reaction score
When did Crayton and Robinson make all pro as receivers? I think you are stretching that one.

Romo did have a way of making receivers careers, however. The guy could sling it.
Robinson left the Boys and got that huge contract from the Jags, I believe. If he wasn't all pro, the Jags sure paid him like one at the time.

John813

Reaction score
Robinson left the Boys and got that huge contract from the Jags, I believe. If he wasn't all pro, the Jags sure paid him like one at the time.

That's the only way the Jags at the time could sign anyone away. Overpayment. Damn shame he got a handful of concussions once he signed there.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think Amari's value to the Cowboys is linked with how other WRs are valued on other teams. Amari's value is linked to the 1st round draft pick the Cowboys gave up to get him and the way his presence on the team turned their fortune around in 2018. That is how a smart agent will negotiate his contract extension. It's a position that stands on much better footing, IMO.

What you are talking about are factors that Cooper's agent has in his arsenal of support for Cooper getting a big contract, but that doesn't change the fact that what constitutes a "big contract" is in large part dictated by the market as set by other similarly impactful receivers. Without a doubt if a similarly impactful receiver gets a high contract, that will be used as a negotiating point for Cooper's agent, just as if a similarly impactful receiver gets a lower than expected contract that will be used as a negotiating point for the Cowboys. It's all part of the negotiation.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Undrafted Beasley had his best season with Dak....... Them haters don't like when you bring that up
Beasley having his best year with Dak is a huge indictment of Dak's game.

Cooper saved Dak, not the other way around. They had instant chemistry because Cooper - like Beasley, actually - wins against man coverage every time.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
How about Cooper goes 2 seasons in a row without leading the league in drops before we start talking about giving him a big contract because he had 3 big games with us?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Seen on Twitter (not sure how to post it here so if anybody can do that it would be much appreciated) that the Saints are willing to make Michael Thomas the highest paid receiver in the league. Depending on what he signs for would this raise Cooper's demands or lowers them? Personally I want to get our guys signed first before everybody else raises the market. We have already seen it with Wentz and Dak.
Cooper is great, but Thomas would demand more on the open market

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Cooper is great, but Thomas would demand more on the open market
How are you going to compare Amari with MT when Amari hasn't even played one full season for the Cowboys and MT has 3 full seasons on tape with the Saints. It's not a fair comparison to either player, so I reject the premise of the question.

Phack no!! why do all our players FEEL they deserve to be paid the highest when they arent the best, not even top 5 in some cases other then Zeke? I dont care what the market is, you get paid by production by position, health, and age etc

If everyone of our big time FAS want to be THE highest paid ie next up..i say time to klet tem go and rebuild or restock..im sorry but at some point more teams need to say NO, heres what we are offering or BYE!

It’s not about Cooper wanting to be paid on MT’s level. It’s that if MT is going to be the highest paid WR in the nfl, he’ll have to get 20+ a year. And if the best WR in the nfl is getting 20+, Cooper is never going to settle for 14-15 million, admitting he’s 5m a year worse than the best guy.

So this will bump up Cooper’s price if he doesn’t sign first, just as Carson did and Goff will do to Dak. Doesn’t mean he’ll sign for MT money, but he’ll likely jump to the 17-18 range to say ‘no I’m not the best, but show you value me and I’m in the mix amongst the next tier of WRs’