Mickey: Be Reasonable Judging Young QB

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We know that most in this forum are not reasonable fans....except me of course :)

The ability to be an objective Sports fan is challenging when your teams have been unsuccessful as long as this one, and my other one the Reds.
I am a Reds fan as well. I understand.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Projects are drafted in rd 4,5,and 6. A top 4 pick in the entire draft is not a project... or should not be a project.
He was the 3rd pick. Not the 4th.

Trading a 4th for a bust that was drafted 3rd is not the same as drafting a QB in the 4th.

We had Trance for a year and a half. First year was a complete waste with no training camp.

A 4th round pick has 4 camps and 4 years to develop. They also cost significantly less money.

Is not anywhere close to the same thing, no matter how bad you want to try and spin it.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
We know that most in this forum are not reasonable fans....except me of course :)

The ability to be an objective Sports fan is challenging when your teams have been unsuccessful as long as this one, and my other one the Reds.
Objectively Zach Wilson looked better in his preseason game and may not make the Broncos roster.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was the 3rd pick. Not the 4th.

Trading a 4th for a bust that was drafted 3rd is not the same as drafting a QB in the 4th.

We had Trance for a year and a half. First year was a complete waste with no training camp.

A 4th round pick has 4 camps and 4 years to develop. They also cost significantly less money.

Is not anywhere close to the same thing, no matter how bad you want to try and spin it.
Well, we currently have a 4th round pick still developing in his 9th year. :lmao2:

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Lance is where he should be.

The kid is gifted with talent.

Fans expecting 300+ yds and 3+ TDs in preseason week 1 are going to be disappointed.

But he played well with the 2s and 3s.

He’s not playing with starters.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Why anyone would not want this young man to do well is beyond me. If he fails, so be it....but if he turns it on and succeeds, it would be a huge win for the franchise. Are we Cowboys fans, or QB1 fans?

I think pretty much everyone here wants Lance to succeed. I want him to become a hall of fame QB.

The reality is that some of us are a bit weary about how a guy in his fourth year in the NFL still “needs more reps”. There are traits to like about Lance, but he still pretty much looks like the same guy he was 4 years ago.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Why anyone would not want this young man to do well is beyond me. If he fails, so be it....but if he turns it on and succeeds, it would be a huge win for the franchise. Are we Cowboys fans, or QB1 fans?
Doesn't sound like you're a Cowboys fan. If you were, you easily would want the best capable QB throwing for the Cowboys. That is QB1.

shabazz

Reaction score
Funny. All the things Trance is trying to fix Cooper Rush can already do.
True, but those things can potentially be learned or fixed.

Athleticism can't and that one thing that Lance apparently has.

He's still a project that may or may not ever happen...I don't have a dog in this fight

Chasing6

Reaction score
True, but those things can potentially be learned or fixed.

Athleticism can't and that one thing that Lance apparently has.

He's still a project that may or may not ever happen...I don't have a dog in this fight.
Yes, sorry Jerry should start drafting College Baseball pitchers that are good athletes. We can teach them how to play QB.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Mickey would be correct if we had just drafted Trey. We didn't. This is is 4th year in the league. We spent a 3rd or 4th rd pick to get him. He's nowhere near as good as Cooper Rush. People are accurately judging Trey as not even close to being starter material right now and doubtful he ever will. He was a very risky pick to begin with. SF rolled the dice and crapped out and washed their hands with him. We are seeing first hand why SF wanted to move on.

Havic

Reaction score
If we could establish a run game we need to have Lance always on the move with play action roll outs. Have to take advantage of his speed

Havic

Reaction score
Mickey would be correct if we had just drafted Trey. We didn't. This is is 4th year in the league. We spent a 3rd or 4th rd pick to get him. He's nowhere near as good as Cooper Rush. People are accurately judging Trey as not even close to being starter material right now and doubtful he ever will. He was a very risky pick to begin with. SF rolled the dice and crapped out and washed their hands with him. We are seeing first hand why SF wanted to move on.
SF wanted to move on because of Purdy. If Purdy wasn’t there, I think he would still be in SF

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I disagree, MM did him favors. Gave him more and more chances to make plays. Yes, Lance did exactly as I have seen reported from camp... which is stink it up. His decision making is SLOW, he holds onto the ball way to long and has to scramble when he porbably should have thrown the ball. This isnt college. WRs get thrown open, a lot. You arent going to have 5 yards of separation over and over again when you throw.

By the way, lets remember this is Lance's 4th year in the league.... not his 1st.
I'd have to disagree completely on that analysis. Early on I think it could be argued that giving Lance more opportunities with the ball was an advantage for him, but the deeper you got in the game the more defenders were simply not playing their run responsibilities at all and just attacked the QB, knowing what the Cowboys were doing.

His time to throw metrics are actually pretty solid too...

With a clean pocket - 2.52 seconds
Under pressure 4.34 seconds
With a blitz - 2.57
No blitz - 3.52 seconds

He got rid of the football in a pretty timely manor. He also diagnosed the blitz well pre snap and got the ball out when LA brought extra guys. When he held onto the ball and bought more time was when the defense got pressure just rushing 4 and playing coverage. To compare last season Dak had an average time to throw of 2.7 seconds. Dak is clearly quicker here, but not by a ton.

The more I see of Lance the less I think his problems are between the ears. I think the guy knows how to play football. He seemed comfortable in his reads, kept his head downfield while under pressure, and protected the ball all game. His issues seem to be more physical/mechanical in not knowing where the heck the ball is going to go.

If he can even be moderately accurate of passer he is a starting caliber QB in this league. If he can't then I simply don't see how he ever has success in this league.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No I said a project project like 5 round 6th and 7th
5 QB's drafted in those 3 rounds and who the Cowboys drafted:

Spencer Rattler & Jordan Travis - Cowboys took Caelen Carson

Joe Milton - Cowboys took Ryan Flournoy

Devin Leary - Cowboys took Nathan Thomas

Michael Pratt - Cowboys took Justin Rogers

Which of those QB's would you have preferred over the players the Cowboys got?

Please give us your thoughts.

davey999

Reaction score
Lance is where he should be.

The kid is gifted with talent.

Fans expecting 300+ yds and 3+ TDs in preseason week 1 are going to be disappointed.

But he played well with the 2s and 3s.

He’s not playing with starters.
Not playing against starters, either. Plus he has terrible accuracy and can't read defenses.