Mickey: Be Reasonable Judging Young QB

Chasing6

Reaction score
Mickey would be correct if we had just drafted Trey. We didn't. This is is 4th year in the league. We spent a 3rd or 4th rd pick to get him. He's nowhere near as good as Cooper Rush. People are accurately judging Trey as not even close to being starter material right now and doubtful he ever will. He was a very risky pick to begin with. SF rolled the dice and crapped out and washed their hands with him. We are seeing first hand why SF wanted to move on.
Bigger question is wether GM Jethro is going to double down or triple down on his dumb decision that he made all by himself.

1. Go ahead and make him QB2.
2. Go ahead and resign him next year.

Creeper

Reaction score
Now let's look at the other side of the register. Lance is in his 4th year, not his first. Does anyone think the 49ers did not try to correct his inaccuracy? Do you think they drafted him in the 3rd spot in the first round, after trading multiple picks away to get to that spot and then just ignored him? They didn't coach him, or try to? The excuses that he was playing behind a backup OL, with backup WRs doesn't hold up. He was playing against backup CB and backup DL. There were a couple of drops, but there were a lot or errant throws too. The fade to the end zone on 4th down may have been a ridiculous play call, but the ball was late and way out of the end zone. After 3 years, I would expect his accuracy to be a lot better. Ben DiNucci had a better arm than Lance.

I don't think we are being too critical either. We watched him play for almost the entire game and we are reacting to what we saw. He looked awful. Maybe he plays lights out this week and next, but against the Rams he did not look very promising. I'll give him 3 preseason games to see what he can do. But no way I am just giving him a pass because it was his first game in over a year.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
He was the 3rd pick. Not the 4th.

Trading a 4th for a bust that was drafted 3rd is not the same as drafting a QB in the 4th.

We had Trance for a year and a half. First year was a complete waste with no training camp.

A 4th round pick has 4 camps and 4 years to develop. They also cost significantly less money.

Is not anywhere close to the same thing, no matter how bad you want to try and spin it.
WTH are you taking about. Im saying he gets no slack. He isnt a project, he was a top pick. Spin? Wth am i spinning. The guy sucks.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I think pretty much everyone here wants Lance to succeed. I want him to become a hall of fame QB.

The reality is that some of us are a bit weary about how a guy in his fourth year in the NFL still “needs more reps”. There are traits to like about Lance, but he still pretty much looks like the same guy he was 4 years ago.
Im not sure what traits I like. he's fast... big deal.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Lance is where he should be.

The kid is gifted with talent.

Fans expecting 300+ yds and 3+ TDs in preseason week 1 are going to be disappointed.

But he played well with the 2s and 3s.

He’s not playing with starters.
lol...played well? did you watch the game?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
5 QB's drafted in those 3 rounds and who the Cowboys drafted:

Spencer Rattler & Jordan Travis - Cowboys took Caelen Carson

Joe Milton - Cowboys took Ryan Flournoy

Devin Leary - Cowboys took Nathan Thomas

Michael Pratt - Cowboys took Justin Rogers

Which of those QB's would you have preferred over the players the Cowboys got?

Please give us your thoughts.
I'll take the guy that threw 4 int's, but won the game at the last minute against us!!!

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I'd have to disagree completely on that analysis. Early on I think it could be argued that giving Lance more opportunities with the ball was an advantage for him, but the deeper you got in the game the more defenders were simply not playing their run responsibilities at all and just attacked the QB, knowing what the Cowboys were doing.

His time to throw metrics are actually pretty solid too...

With a clean pocket - 2.52 seconds
Under pressure 4.34 seconds
With a blitz - 2.57
No blitz - 3.52 seconds

He got rid of the football in a pretty timely manor. He also diagnosed the blitz well pre snap and got the ball out when LA brought extra guys. When he held onto the ball and bought more time was when the defense got pressure just rushing 4 and playing coverage. To compare last season Dak had an average time to throw of 2.7 seconds. Dak is clearly quicker here, but not by a ton.

The more I see of Lance the less I think his problems are between the ears. I think the guy knows how to play football. He seemed comfortable in his reads, kept his head downfield while under pressure, and protected the ball all game. His issues seem to be more physical/mechanical in not knowing where the heck the ball is going to go.

If he can even be moderately accurate of passer he is a starting caliber QB in this league. If he can't then I simply don't see how he ever has success in this league.
I dont have all those numbers you brought up... but, I think I heard he had a25% completion rate when blitzed. So how do you figure he diagnosed the blitz well? You can diagnose things fantastic, but if the end result is incomplete after incomplete... who cares.

Chasing6

Reaction score
WTH are you taking about. Im saying he gets no slack. He isnt a project, he was a top pick. Spin? Wth am i spinning. The guy sucks.
He is 100% a project. He is the least experienced QB in the entire league including all of the ones were just drafted.

Why else do you think some people still equate him as a rookie, when he has been in the league for 4 years?

TheCritic

Reaction score
Not fair to judge the Cowboys based on decisions made by the 49ers. And this 23 year old kid with raw football experience is doing OK all things considered. You and sweetiepie Chasing 6 need to take it down a notch. Relax and flow downstream.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I dont have all those numbers you brought up... but, I think I heard he had a25% completion rate when blitzed. So how do you figure he diagnosed the blitz well? You can diagnose things fantastic, but if the end result is incomplete after incomplete... who cares.
When blitzed he was 6-15 for 45 yards. 4 of those incompletions were drops too. Regardless he is clearly identifying the blitz, getting the ball out quick and protecting the football. This is a very subjective stat, but PFF doesn't count any of his passes as turnover worthy.

Not saying you start the kid against Cleveland, but nearly every metric from Sundays game suggests that there is a ton of good to build on here.....all assuming he can fix the accuracy issues which isn't easy.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Not fair to judge the Cowboys based on decisions made by the 49ers. And this 23 year old kid with raw football experience is doing OK all things considered. You and sweetiepie Chasing 6 need to take it down a notch. Relax and flow downstream.
who is judging the Cowboys? Im not. I have no problem with tossing a 4th for the guy last year. But unfortunately, its gonna be a waste. He wont be in front of Rush, and at the end of the season, IF WE KEEP HIM THIS YEAR, h will be gone next year.

TheCritic

Reaction score
who is judging the Cowboys? Im not. I have no problem with tossing a 4th for the guy last year. But unfortunately, its gonna be a waste. He wont be in front of Rush, and at the end of the season, IF WE KEEP HIM THIS YEAR, h will be gone next year.
Being a bit premature aren't you? The kid needs to play and learn. Not saying this project was a wise one, but if anyone is going to make a QB out of this kid, it's McCarthy.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Why anyone would not want this young man to do well is beyond me. If he fails, so be it....but if he turns it on and succeeds, it would be a huge win for the franchise. Are we Cowboys fans, or QB1 fans?
It’s not about wanting him to fail. As long as you aren’t scum I’ll root for you. I was a Romo fan and was ok with moving to Dak because he showed he can be a competent quarterback. I’ve been rooting for him to take Rush job since last season. I argued he should’ve been the back up. I had no idea he was still this raw.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
who is judging the Cowboys? Im not. I have no problem with tossing a 4th for the guy last year. But unfortunately, it’s gonna be a waste. He wont be in front of Rush, and at the end of the season, IF WE KEEP HIM THIS YEAR, h will be gone next year.
Yeah I argued with people a 4th was t that bad for the upside. Then Fields gets dealt for a 6th….and I didn’t know he was this raw.

Jarntt

Reaction score
I was never a fan of Lance and thought SF was literally insane for trading up and drafting him. I don't think he ever becomes a starting NFL QB, but I did think the gamble for only a 4th was worth it at the time. In retrospect, too bad we didn't wait it out and trade for Fields instead. Way better player (that doesn't mean Fields is great, just better than Lance), way less of a cap hit and less was given up to trade for him.

rags747

Reaction score
5 QB's drafted in those 3 rounds and who the Cowboys drafted:

Spencer Rattler & Jordan Travis - Cowboys took Caelen Carson

Joe Milton - Cowboys took Ryan Flournoy

Devin Leary - Cowboys took Nathan Thomas

Michael Pratt - Cowboys took Justin Rogers

Which of those QB's would you have preferred over the players the Cowboys got?

Please give us your thoughts.
I would have taken Rattler and I love Milton? Milton has a freaking cannon and showed it off this past weekend. Hi teammates love him already!