Mike Leach on QB accuracy

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:facepalm:

Here I am thinking you're just being coy and intellectually dishonest when the real problem is you sincerely don't understand basic math.

What do you mean "in the context of a football discussion"

Football doesn't transcend math.

You don't get to trot out some bunk math and say "but this is football" and POOF! Suddenly the math makes sense.

IN NO UNIVERSE is 55 "150% more" than 37.

150% can either be:
A. 150% of 37 is 55.5 which is more than 37.

B. An additional 150% is 37 + 55.5 = 92.5

You read my post.
You know that 150% of 37 is 55.5
You see that I posted the numbers 37, 55 and 150%.
You respond that I'm claiming it's 92.5 (i.e. 150% more).

That's trolling.

cern

Reaction score
A group of college students were going to a lecture, half of them were told before hand the speaker was warm and fuzzy ,likeable etc. The other half were told the opposite. After the lecture almost all agreed with their preconceived notions.
The media has hammered home this in-accurate picture of Dak. He could improve and the detractors wouldn't notice. Every in-completion is a result of his lack of accuracy because they've been told so time after time. It's like see....he is inaccurate. Bias conformation at it's best.
evolution favors the followers. it's easier to be a gnu than a lion.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
150% can either be:
A. 150% of 37 is 55.5 which is more than 37.

B. An additional 150% is 37 + 55.5 = 92.5

You read my post.
You know that 150% of 37 is 55.5
You see that I posted the numbers 37, 55 and 150%.
You respond that I'm claiming it's 92.5 (i.e. 150% more).

That's trolling.

Let me help you out and provide the ACTUAL quote from your original claim in its context.

Did you not say this?
“The Cowboy have almost 150% more Rushing TDs from 2016 to 2018:
Cowboys 55
Eagles 37

Is 55 “150% more” than 37?

Yes or No

cern

Reaction score
:facepalm:

Here I am thinking you're just being coy and intellectually dishonest when the real problem is you sincerely don't understand basic math.

What do you mean "in the context of a football discussion"

Football doesn't transcend math.

You don't get to trot out some bunk math and say "but this is football" and POOF! Suddenly the math makes sense.

IN NO UNIVERSE is 55 "150% more" than 37.
how many universes are there? and to how many have you been?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
What I said was not a mistake.

It's a reading context issue.

150% of 37 is 55.5

55.5 is more than 37.

An additional 150% would be 37 + 55.5 = 92.5.

Anybody with even a 5th grade level of reading comprehension would know that I was referring to 150% of 37.

CP just wanted to distract from the point because he couldn't counter the actual point.

Yeah. It's always deflect deflect deflect with him

eromeopolk

Reaction score

There is no coach that can teach Dak how to throw a football. You're either accurate, or you're not.

This isn't about poise. Dak has poise. So it isn't an experience fix that comes with getting "comfortable". Dak is comfortable.

And that's a problem because this just comes down to lack of ability.

Darius Jackson can practice all he wants, but he'll never be Zeke. Dak can work himself to the bone, but he'll never be an elite passer.

"So you wanna be starting something you go to be starting...wanna be starting something gotta be starting something"
Who has a 66.1% NFL Career Passing Completion Percentage?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
"So you wanna be starting something you go to be starting...wanna be starting something gotta be starting something"
Who has a 66.1% NFL Career Passing Completion Percentage?
I know! I know!
Because I've read it here about 4 thousand times.
Lol... I engage in hyperbole: maybe 3 thousand.

Edit: I dig the Michael Jackson reference...

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
I make this of it. Two words. Drew Brees.

Drew Brees, who went from a sub 60% completion quarterback in San Diego to completing nearly 75% of his passes this year. And whose completion percentages have increased again and again and again throughout his career.

The facts and statistics actually show me what's true, rather than people talking.

The game has gotten easier and easier since Brees first started playing, as noted by Brady. So what you are taking for a quarter back being able to get more accurate is actually rule changes in the NFL making the game easier for the Quarterback.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Yep

There’s a small group here of extremist who can’t handle any criticism of Dakster. Reminds me of the old Romo threads. An endless black hole.

Well what I find amazing now is: some people are saying he is accurate now. And he is not too bad with the dink and dunk range of accuracy, but where many of us our worried is the stuff past the 15 yard marker, which he doesn't even attempt too often.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Well what I find amazing now is: some people are saying he is accurate now. And he is not too bad with the dink and dunk range of accuracy, but where many of us our worried is the stuff past the 15 yard marker, which he doesn't even attempt too often.
But his percentages are high...

Just being the Devil's Advocate.

HungryLion

Reaction score
One thing Leach didn't address is how arm strength affects accuracy. Daks arm is marginal and he has to put more energy into his throws past 15 yards than the top 10 QBs. That to me explains why he struggles with consistent accuracy. His short game isn't bad but after that it's inconsistent. That also answers why he struggles in the red zone and struggles to convert 3rd 7.

Dak’s arm strength is not marginal. It’s plenty strong enough to make all the throws.

I have no idea what you’re watching out there.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Dak’s arm strength is not marginal. It’s plenty strong enough to make all the throws.

I have no idea what you’re watching out there.
When I look at a scouting report on a player I like to go back and watch the player on tape if I havent seen him play much because i believe in the eye test.
In Daks case his scouting report is pretty much what I am seeing. Its almost scary when you look at his weaknesses.

QB Dak Prescott
College: Mississippi State
Year: RS Senior
Birth Year: 1993
Height: 6-2
Weight: 230

Strengths
  • Powerful, well-built frame meant to withstand punishment
  • Flashes ability to throw a tight spiral when his mechanics are under control
  • Good, calm pocket presence, will step up to evade pressure and keep eyes downfield
  • When base is sound, can drive the ball into tight windows with excellent velocity
  • Strong frame that stands tall in the pocket despite pressure
  • Mobility to escape the pocket and extend plays when needed, always keeping eyes downfield
  • Works through his progressions while staying calm in the pocket
  • Gets rid of the football quickly/efficiently without taking undue punishment in the pocket
  • Can move a defense with his eyes and mobility, creating windows for receivers where there were none
  • Strong runner in the open field that is tough to bring down
  • Physical, competitive, physically and mentally tough
  • Heralded throughout the college ranks for his maturity, character, and leadership abilities
  • Extremely hard worker who has made strides every year

Weaknesses
  • Inconsistency mars almost every aspect of his game, especially mechanically
  • Rocks back with a slight hitch in his delivery when putting zip on the ball
  • Can wind up with longer release when going down the field
  • Tendency to release the ball a tad early, resulting in a sailing or fluttering pass
  • Needs to vary the pace of the ball to match the situation/route (no bullets on screens)
  • Location and accuracy are generally poor, makes receivers adjust to off-target balls and minimizes yards after catch
  • Makes very poor decisions at times, forces passes into coverage
  • Footwork can get sloppy, will fall off his base throwing to his left, loses accuracy/velocity
  • Doesn’t possess the heralded “power arm” that he was once rumored to have
  • Deep ball accuracy is lacking, touch passing needs a compass
  • Does not throw with anticipation, poor timing leads to late throws to all areas of the field
  • Can be confused and fooled by more intricate coverage schemes (ex. Alabama’s pattern reading)
  • Lacks accuracy and velocity when throwing on the move
  • Not a great athlete, heavy-footed and lacking lateral quickness and explosiveness as a runner

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Erod simply found a notable HC at Texas Tech and Washington State quoting his thoughts which support or are aligned with Erods concerns with Dak.

What I’d like to see is notable coaches and ex players quotes in support of Daks skill sets which he brings and solutions to his weaknesses that need more developing and improvement.

20 + pages into this I haven’t seen a single quote of any Coach or ex player disputing or contradicting the initial quote Erod shared.

Last edited:

HungryLion

Reaction score
When I look at a scouting report on a player I like to go back and watch the player on tape if I havent seen him play much because i believe in the eye test.
In Daks case his scouting report is pretty much what I am seeing. Its almost scary when you look at his weaknesses.

QB Dak Prescott
College: Mississippi State
Year: RS Senior
Birth Year: 1993
Height: 6-2
Weight: 230

Strengths
  • Powerful, well-built frame meant to withstand punishment
  • Flashes ability to throw a tight spiral when his mechanics are under control
  • Good, calm pocket presence, will step up to evade pressure and keep eyes downfield
  • When base is sound, can drive the ball into tight windows with excellent velocity
  • Strong frame that stands tall in the pocket despite pressure
  • Mobility to escape the pocket and extend plays when needed, always keeping eyes downfield
  • Works through his progressions while staying calm in the pocket
  • Gets rid of the football quickly/efficiently without taking undue punishment in the pocket
  • Can move a defense with his eyes and mobility, creating windows for receivers where there were none
  • Strong runner in the open field that is tough to bring down
  • Physical, competitive, physically and mentally tough
  • Heralded throughout the college ranks for his maturity, character, and leadership abilities
  • Extremely hard worker who has made strides every year

Weaknesses
  • Inconsistency mars almost every aspect of his game, especially mechanically
  • Rocks back with a slight hitch in his delivery when putting zip on the ball
  • Can wind up with longer release when going down the field
  • Tendency to release the ball a tad early, resulting in a sailing or fluttering pass
  • Needs to vary the pace of the ball to match the situation/route (no bullets on screens)
  • Location and accuracy are generally poor, makes receivers adjust to off-target balls and minimizes yards after catch
  • Makes very poor decisions at times, forces passes into coverage
  • Footwork can get sloppy, will fall off his base throwing to his left, loses accuracy/velocity
  • Doesn’t possess the heralded “power arm” that he was once rumored to have
  • Deep ball accuracy is lacking, touch passing needs a compass
  • Does not throw with anticipation, poor timing leads to late throws to all areas of the field
  • Can be confused and fooled by more intricate coverage schemes (ex. Alabama’s pattern reading)
  • Lacks accuracy and velocity when throwing on the move
  • Not a great athlete, heavy-footed and lacking lateral quickness and explosiveness as a runner

I’ve seen his scouting reports plenty of times. Imagine that , a 4th round pick had weaknesses to his game when coming out of college.

Most of the weaknesses in Dak’s scouting report are correctable, btw.

Also, show me on that scouting report where it says he lacks arm strength to make all the throws. All it says is he lacks the “power arm he was rumored to have”. There’s nothing in there about lacking he arm strength needed to make all the throws.

You won’t find a scouting report that says he lacks the arm strength to make all the throws, because one doesn’t exist, because he doesn’t lack the arm strength needed to make all the throws.

Thanks

Hadenough

Reaction score
I’ve seen his scouting reports plenty of times. Imagine that , a 4th round pick had weaknesses to his game when coming out of college.

Most of the weaknesses in Dak’s scouting report are correctable, btw.

Also, show me on that scouting report where it says he lacks arm strength to make all the throws.

Thanks
It doesnt say that here is why.
Dak has the ability to make all the throws in practice but when the game speed is faster and he cant set his feet for 6 sec and the WR is open by a step is when we see he struggles. He will make some of the throws but he will miss some and will even hesitate to even make that throw.
Dak can throw the ball 40 or 50 yards but he has to put much more air and effort into the throw than say a guy like Eli Manning. Its common sense for anyone that has played any sport. If a soccer player tries to kick a ball too hard he will lose accuracy, If a tennis player tries to hit a ball too hard he will lose accuracy, If a baseball pitcher tries to throw a ball too hard he loses accuracy. This all relates to technique but you still need natural arm strength.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

I find it amazing some are saying he is inaccurate, which is by all accounts just flat out silly.

And he throws beyond 15 yards at a league average rate, so "which he diesnt even attempt too often" is also a lie, and on those throws he is better than average.

And that's why most people start liking Dak more than they should, because most of the criticism is rooted in baseless lies like these.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
:hammer:

There is no coach that can teach Dak how to throw a football. You're either accurate, or you're not.

This isn't about poise. Dak has poise. So it isn't an experience fix that comes with getting "comfortable". Dak is comfortable.

And that's a problem because this just comes down to lack of ability.

Darius Jackson can practice all he wants, but he'll never be Zeke. Dak can work himself to the bone, but he'll never be an elite passer.

:hammer::hammer::hammer: