Mike Lombardi Rips Jason Garrett's Coaching Ability

bigbob

Reaction score
He's absolutely right. This team wasn't ready in the playoff game. They should've scored 40+ on the packers defense. It was probably bottom 3 in the entire NFL. We needed to have the mentality that Atlanta had.
Marinelli and linehan get equal blame
For that.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I just wonder that since Garrett is an official "walk around" coach that he does not take accountability for the defense.

Great head coaches all have their specialties.

Look at Belichick. He is a defensive guy. Through and through.

But his offenses are one of the more efficient in the NFL, year in, year out. Even when McDaniels left, they still kept chugging along.

I just don't think Garrett has a real clue on what he wants his defense to be.

That is part of your job as a head coach, developing the culture and that your team does "what they do".

Between Ryan and Marinelli, we have two polar opposites.

And there he is. Clapping when they all fail.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Garrett isn't a great coach, probably middle of the pack. His tenure would suggest that he should be better than that. He is kind of in Jeff Fisher territory. He needs to build his legacy soon or he likely won't be around more than a couple years. He has everything a coach could want on offense. They are committing more to the defense and probably will over the next couple drafts.
Good post.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I agree......and when Garrett took this franchise over it was abysmal.....I know some may overrate the talent that was here but that same talent quit on Phillips.

Well maybe he didn't have a top 5 qb afterall?

When I say "fair shot" i'm not referring to how many chances he got in Dallas. Jerry is loyal. Loyal to a fault at times. Some would argue that applies here with Garrett.

When I say "fair shot" I mean in regards to the job he's done here. When they win its because of the great job Maranelli did or the great job Linehan did with the offense. When they lose its the hand clapping Garret's fault. That's what I mean by fair shot. This team will never truly be his. It will be whatever Jerry allows it to be.

No other coach has to put up with the circus Garrett has to from the top to the bottom.

Who said Jimmy failed?

You implied it by mentioning him and Parcells when you said no coach can be successful under Jerry. Your defense of Garrett should never include coaches who have won championships and in this particular case, multiple championships.

And it's funny how you put down Wade and the talent on the team, when Wade's first 3 seasons and Garrett's first 3 seasons, with practically the same players, are so disparate. Wade, if allowed to finish his 4th season, would have only ONE losing season in his tenure as Cowboys coach. This is the same team that set franchise records for most players sent to Probowl. Wade won NFE twice with that overrated talent in his 3.5 seasons.

And one of the reasons Cowboys offense started to falter was the loss of Owens, which was the direct result of Garrett before he became HC. I would take Wade as a coach, at any level, over Garrett any day. A Lombardi and 2 conference championships speaks for itself, never mind how dominant HIS defenses have been his entire career. Wade can take hiz'n and beat ur'n and vice versa, Garrett never has been able use his own talent to its fullest until Linehan came on board.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No chance Jim Harbaugh comes here to work with Jerry when he got everything he wanted at his college job.

When Stephen Jones is officially in charge, then we might see that type of coach if they have not won a Super Bowl by then.

If Stephen were in charge, then it becomes one of the most desired jobs in sport, IMO.
You implied it by mentioning him and Parcells when you said no coach can be successful under Jerry. Your defense of Garrett should never include coaches who have won championships and in this particular case, multiple championships.

And it's funny how you put down Wade and the talent on the team, when Wade's first 3 seasons and Garrett's first 3 seasons, with practically the same players, are so disparate. Wade, if allowed to finish his 4th season, would have only ONE losing season in his tenure as Cowboys coach. This is the same team that set franchise records for most players sent to Probowl. Wade won NFE twice with that overrated talent in his 3.5 seasons.

And one of the reasons Cowboys offense started to falter was the loss of Owens, which was the direct result of Garrett before he became HC. I would take Wade as a coach, at any level, over Garrett any day. A Lombardi and 2 conference championships speaks for itself, never mind how dominant HIS defenses have been his entire career. Wade can take hiz'n and beat ur'n and vice versa, Garrett never has been able use his own talent to its fullest until Linehan came on board.

Actually I said:

"Garrett will never get a fair shot in this league being he has to do what no other coach in this league has to do which is coach under Jerry Jones."

I'm not referring to success. I'm saying Garrett has to come to work and do his job under Jerry Jones. Parcells and Jimmy Johnson left the Cowboys because of what a difficult task that was.

I don't care what Wade's record was.....in his last season here it was some of the worst football i've ever witnessed from a team....they made David Garrard, Vince Young, among others look like Hall of Fame quaterbacks. IT was embarrassing. The team had quit on Wade. So if you define that as success then fair enough. But i'd prefer my coach get the best out of his guy as opposed to have them quit on him.

In regards to taking Wade over Garrett.......the only thing i'd take Wade over is Garrett is when it comes to coaching defense. That's it. Wade is not a good head coach in this league. If you want to argue that Garrett isn't either....that's fine. But Garrett had a lot of big "name" guys but not actually good or great football players. Same could probably be said for Wade too.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Its funny.....if you go to every NFL teams message board.....they all say the same thing about their head coach....except the Patriots. Everyone thinks their coach is terrible.....I guess the bar is Bellicheat.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its funny.....if you go to every NFL teams message board.....they all say the same thing about their head coach....except the Patriots. Everyone thinks their coach is terrible.....I guess the bar is Bellicheat.

Not everyone. But you're right that every team has reactionary fans who blame the figurehead, whether he can coach or not.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
I agree 100%.

This one stung more because home teams win close to 70% of the time in the playoffs. Also, everything seemed to be aligned for us last year - weak division, weak conference, critical injuries on other teams, the feel good nature of Dak/Zeke, bad press/chemistry infiltrating other lockerooms. Unfortunately our square of a head coach decided to relax the last month of the season and suck the life out of the team. Unforgivable how he changed our run first philosophy out of nowhere.

3 weeks to prepare.

3 weeks. 3 friggin weeks. And come out as flat as we did.

Airett has to go.

CWR

Reaction score
Garrett has helped build this team and give it its current identity. Whatever his part in Daks development was last year and how our QB situation was handled in general was excellent imho. Yes Garrett's clock management skills have sucked at times and we came out flat vs. GreenBay but we did tie the game and his teams dont quit.

That said, hes been given excuse after excuse and its past time to put together back to back winning seasons and start marching our way through the playoffs. If he cant deliver Id love Payton. For now though I still have Garretts back and although he is flawed Im not in favor of throwing him away for just anyone.

CWR

Reaction score
I'm going to say I was never a fan of him being the OC/being hired first/groomed to be HC.

However, the team has done a rebuild/retool in personal since he has been here.
Switching from the 3-4 to the 4-3. Rebuilding the offensive line, and now the secondary.
Defensive line has also gone under retooling, with only Crawford who is still here from the 3-4 days.

We have also gone under a philosophy change on how the team addresses building the team, IE no more spending money in FA and instead taking the longer term approach in acquiring talent via the draft and UDFAs.

While last year ended on a disappointing note, I think it exceeded everyones expectations from week 1,seeing a rookie QB/RB surprise everyone with how well they played. Of course credit goes to the players for executing, but you can't ignore giving credit to Garrett and Linehan in getting those boys prepared.

I don't know where Garrett ranks in terms of coaching, but I think recently he has improved each year.

Not sure where the part about being an innovator comes from. Seems like Garretts MO was to rebuild the 90's wall and run over people.

I agree and as far as whatever Lombardi said about packing it in or being too conservative or whatever, I will say Garrett carried his balls in a wheel barrel that Philly game. He will go for it on fourth and Ive seen him make aggressive decisions.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The division was awful and we had a great QB. If we were in any other division we wouldn't have competed. Didn't expect the team to do anything in the playoffs but to get eliminated 3 straight years to each of your division rivals is hard to take.

2011 Giants went on to win the Super Bowl, 2012 the Commanders had a similar second half season to what we had last season, and 2013 the Eagles had a high powered offense.

It's not like we lost to a bunch of chumps - we lost against 3 solid football teams, one that went on to be the champs.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Not everyone. But you're right that every team has reactionary fans who blame the figurehead, whether he can coach or not.

Not everyone but every team......i'm even amazed at some.....Steelers fans or some of them anyway want Tomlin fired. Packers fans want McCarthy gone. Tom Coughlin would win a Super Bowl then 2 years later fans would want him fired. I never understood it but I guess it comes with the territory. They love you if you give them a ring....only for so long anyway.

logan

Reaction score
It just seems to me that expecting last year's team to beat Green Bay with a sad defense that couldn't stop one of the league's best QBs in Aaron Rodgers is a bit short-sighted. Let's face it -- our pass rush and secondary last year was pure crap and that's putting it mildly. Even then, we made it close enough to call it highly competitive.

If this team keeps having trouble in the playoffs for the next couple of years, then there might be just cause to blame it on the HC. Until then, there is still much work to do. Hopefully, a revitalized defense might somehow manage to do their part in helping to turn things around at playoff time.

I think a lot of the blame for the defense needs to go on Garrett for coaching the last few weeks of the season like a total coward. By the time the Packers game rolled around it had been 3 weeks since the defense played at full speed and they came out rusty and unprepared. Once they got warmed up they actually played pretty well.