Mike Lombardi Rips Jason Garrett's Coaching Ability

birdwells1

Reaction score
It just seems to me that expecting last year's team to beat Green Bay with a sad defense that couldn't stop one of the league's best QBs in Aaron Rodgers is a bit short-sighted. Let's face it -- our pass rush and secondary last year was pure crap and that's putting it mildly. Even then, we made it close enough to call it highly competitive.

If this team keeps having trouble in the playoffs for the next couple of years, then there might be just cause to blame it on the HC. Until then, there is still much work to do. Hopefully, a revitalized defense might somehow manage to do their part in helping to turn things around at playoff time.
That's true only we beat them in Green Bay with Jordy Nelson and this same defense.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Not sure where you're getting that news on Harbaugh. I live an hour from Baltimore albeit in the hated Commanders territory of
Southern Maryland (ugh). Harbaugh is beloved by the people there. I doubt Ozzie Newsome would fire him. So, if they lose
the coach, they'd likely lose the GM too.

When looking at coaches tenure, it's easy for a TV hack to claim certain coaches "could be in trouble" because
the turnover is typically the length of one contract these days.

People loved Bum Phillips in Houston even after he got fired. lol

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
That's true only we beat them in Green Bay with Jordy Nelson and this same defense.

At that point in time, they were immersed in their worst slump in many years.

I'm anxiously awaiting a time when we'll beat them when we're both clicking.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:grin:. Why do you hate Garrett so much?

Honestly, I'm not even *that* big a fan of his. I think he's a good coach with potential to be great in a tough situation. But I can't stand how bad some of the reasoning is when bashing him. A lot of it's just straight-up fabricated or wrong, and they don't care. Like a couple years back when we had a big thread about how bad he was with challenge flags, and then it turned out he had the highest success rate in the entire league.

I mean, if you're gonna bash the guy, bash him for something that can't easily be measured to prove you wrong. Because at this point, there aren't a lot of stats that aren't at least somewhat in his favor.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Here's a list of the 14 most tenured HC's in the NFL. Notice a trend?

Every coach on this list has gone to at least one Super Bowl as a HC or coordinator............except one. #itsaprocess

LRkjaqz.png

But, but, but........ it's not his fault

He is building greatness here and you are too much of a hater to realize it

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
It was hard to take. People should have been embarrasssed by the quality of personnel on those defense's. Romo was working magic.

Since roster building is a collaborative effort here as you have said many times, when does the head coach start getting any of the blame for not fixing this horrible defense?

phildadon86

Reaction score
I have to agree with this, too. Dallas came out flat against the Lions in the 2014 wild card round, too, falling behind 14-0 before rallying to a 24-20 win. They almost pulled off the comeback against Green Bay, too, so Garrett has to take some blame.
In all fairness to Garrett, we came out swinging in Lambeau in 2014, and the game was lost on a Murray fumble, and bad officiating. It goes both ways

mickswag

Reaction score
“I’m excited to see is Jason Garrett going to be the .500 coach I think he is or if has he done something this summer to really improve himself," he said. "I say the latter. I say he’s going to be a .500 coach.”

Let me help you a bit Mike, you should learn the difference between former and latter :laugh:
I noticed the same thing as I was listening. Couldn't believe it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Since roster building is a collaborative effort here as you have said many times, when does the head coach start getting any of the blame for not fixing this horrible defense?

As HC he is responsible be it Offense, defense and special teams. His job is to win as he oversees all 3 phases, his job is to make sure his team is prepared and ready to go. The team’s failures are his failure.

That is one thing I will never do is take the responsibility away from the HC. Only issue I have is with those who act as if Garrett has nothing to do with any success this team has had he is only responsible for any failures.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I've given him fair blame for the defense for years. When the rest of you guys were off complaining about offensive play calling and challenge flags.

It's not good enough. But has it gotten progressively better, or not? And what's happened to the win/loss record during that same time?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Jason Garrett won the NFL Coach of the Year award last season, but former NFL executive Mike Lombardi isn’t sold the Dallas Cowboys head coach is going to survive the 2017 season.

Lombardi, a staffer on the New England Patriots Super Bowl XLIX championship team, is now a media member and ripped Garrett’s coaching ability in his podcast. He started by talking about a point I think is legitimate in questioning why hasn’t he been better in his tenure as the leader of America’s Team. His overall record is a winning one at 58-46, but he's only produced two winning seasons.

“Jason Garrett been a head coach for six years. He’s 50 years old. He’s going to be 51 next year. He should be in the prime of his head coaching career," Lombardi said. “Instead, he’s made two playoffs. I mean he goes 12-4. Then he goes 13-3 last year and he loses at home to a bad Green Bay defense.”

Read Rest below

http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-st...son-Garretts-Coaching-Ability--434200303.html

The guy has always judged from the level of X's and O's and with a system already put together. New England used a strong dose of old veterans that met their system well...but that type of a supply for team strength, was what got Dallas into cap trouble when highly paid veterans got injured and lingered at reduced effectiveness.

Tell the guy to get realistic in coaching up over the hill guys and cap pictures very cramped to unworkable.

The guy needs a realistic dose in a rebuilding view. The Cowboys had to field a team while it rebuilt, not by free agency, but through the draft. That took Jason, from the lock out until now. Just how good does he expect the Cowboys to have been, when it didn't have an offensive line...until more recently?

Having set the regular season mark for two of the past three seasons, does warrant more respect for Jason Garrett. No, those aren't Lombardis, so there is room to criticize...but not much. His team has to be dealt with...here and now, and in the real NFL world. Even by New England...where he is trying to stand on high ground being with Belichick.

On that 'high ground' ... where would he be if Brady went down for a full season as well? Does he really think they would poooof, have a Prescott in the bank?

Reactions: CWR

CCBoy

Reaction score
I've given him fair blame for the defense for years. When the rest of you guys were off complaining about offensive play calling and challenge flags.

It's not good enough. But has it gotten progressively better, or not? And what's happened to the win/loss record during that same time?

Did the team attempt to add tools to expand their ability to attack and dominate on offense this season? Yeppir...they did.

Did the team build an offensive unit, strong enough to challenge any team in the NFL and have the ability to win any game? Yeppir,...they did.

That took a rebuilding tool of the draft, to get here...

Now, with those players young enough and in place, there is a present window of about three years, to get the defense top shelf as well.

Who exactly is blind in this audience?

diefree666

Reaction score
What bugs me about JG is that he inerited a competitive team that was getting old in critical areas like the O line. Instead of concentrating there the effort went elsewhere and contributed to Romo not only getting injured but retiring; we lucked out getting Dak. Now of course we have the 600 lb gorilla in the room named Jerry Jones so that must always be taken into account. We still do not really know how much influence JG has over personell acquisition. BUT he must have some. Bluntly speaking so far the ONLY success has been the O line. Up until last year when it looks like we pretty much took care of the Back field. The DL is still suspect as is the rest of the D.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Garrett has a higher win percentage than Parcels did here. Both regular season and in the playoffs. By any reasonable argument he's been more successful here.

Wade won at a higher rate but over a shorter period of time having taken over a 9-7 roster that got worse rather than better during his tenure. Garrett has performed comparably in terms of wins having taken over a 1-7 roster, and now has a team that could easily drive that win percentage up over the next several years. Had Wade been retained, he was going to lose more games than he won with that 2010-2012 roster. There's no doubt which of those guys is the better head coach.

There's no doubt in my mind who the better coach was either. Talking about percentages is nice but the fact that Wade won as many NCE crowns as Garrett in almost half the time is the ultimate trump. And who knows what Wade does to finish 4th season or even what he does following season if given opportunity. No one actually knows. If Garrett could rebound from a disastrous 4-12 season then so could Wade.

Yet we all know that Garrett did take a team that won NFCE just the season prior to Wade firing to 3 straight 8-8 seasons. Garrett inherited a team essentially the same core as Wade, only player of note lost was TO who Garrett helped boot before Wades single losing season. This team had two future HOFers in Witten and Ware, plus the most prolific QB in franchise history.

So when Wade loses Romo, blame is on Wade. Garrett loses Romo, blame is on Romo. Garrett is Teflon and we all know it.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
JG is a solid CEO type coach. He's good at keeping everyone on the same page, good leader/motivator, can tell a good story. But you dont want him running your offense. Even he knows it, which is why Linehan is running the offense. All in all, I think it can work. Even though he hasn't had success when it really counts.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
It's amazing to me how so many here are able to decipher exactly what is going on behind the scenes in the Cowboys' organization. I think an awful lot of kneejerk assumptions are being made from the comfort of our homes and before our computers, while injuries and so many other problems are being dealt with behind the scenes. There's no way to decipher exactly what issues are being dealt with and what the correct solutions are within our remote environments.

Are you also assuming my home is comfortable or that I could aford a computer?

Kidding, home is very comfortable and own several devices to voice opinion online.

Guess some assumptions are rather obvious, no?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's no doubt in my mind who the better coach was either. Talking about percentages is nice but the fact that Wade won as many NCE crowns as Garrett in almost half the time is the ultimate trump. And who knows what Wade does to finish 4th season or even what he does following season if given opportunity. No one actually knows. If Garrett could rebound from a disastrous 4-12 season then so could Wade.

Yet we all know that Garrett did take a team that won NFCE just the season prior to Wade firing to 3 straight 8-8 seasons. Garrett inherited a team essentially the same core as Wade, only player of note lost was TO who Garrett helped boot before Wades single losing season. This team had two future HOFers in Witten and Ware, plus the most prolific QB in franchise history.

So when Wade loses Romo, blame is on Wade. Garrett loses Romo, blame is on Romo. Garrett is Teflon and we all know it.

Doing more with a better team is not the ultimate trump. It does muddy the waters a bit though.

Wade was a good guy to have in charge in 2007 after Parcels quit. He wasn't the guy to sustain or build a team. He is a hell of a DC.

Garrett's far from teflon. He's practically the opposite. And nobody with a brain blames Romo for anything. He was a very good QB.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score

This is a great post.

Jason Garrett only has a coaching job because Tony Romo elevated his very mediocre offense and then Garrett got to use the excuse of a Tony injury to last as a head coach.