Mike Martz's take on Trey Lance

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Every QB makes mistakes. Some are just easily disguised by a great supporting cast and some stand out glaringly.

I believe Mahomes threw an Int in the SB and his defense shut it down, without giving up any points.
No the good ones never threw an INT!! well Romo is still great wether he threw them or not to some here...again i like Romo ..i also watched the win and in games he played at the end off seasons..they were not great..

Loso86

Reaction score
"I want [49ers coaches'] eyeballs here," Martz said regarding Lance. "I've never seen anything about this kid that was encouraging at all. He really has to plant himself to make a good throw, he's not a quick decision guy."

Lance has been praised for his mobility, which was a large reason he was selected third overall in 2021 – but Martz said he "looked like a fullback stumbling around trying to run the ball."

"I've never liked him. I still don't like him," he said. "I'd like to know what he does so well. He's not a great passer, he doesn't have good skills, takes a long time to set himself to throw the football, misses easy throws."

Sounds upset lmao

Chasing6

Reaction score
No the good ones never threw an INT!! well Romo is still great wether he threw them or not to some here...again i like Romo ..i also watched the win and in games he played at the end off seasons..they were not great..
I was surprised by this career stat.

TD's 165
Int's 141

Anyone want to guess who?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
All of those 8-8 teams were loaded with talent. They would have been 4-12 without Romo. I criticized Romo a lot until he matured. He wasn’t the greatest, but he did improve over time.
hmm sounds like Dak..but im sure its not the same....

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
All of those 8-8 teams were loaded with talent. They would have been 4-12 without Romo. I criticized Romo a lot until he matured. He wasn’t the greatest, but he did improve over time.
I mean its crazy if you look at a side by side comparison..they are literally the same player..in almost every way...except rushing Dak has Romo but that was early on....Daks 10 years will be actually a little better than Romo but almost dead on.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I mean its crazy if you look at a side by side comparison..they are literally the same player..in almost every way...except rushing Dak has Romo but that was early on....Daks 10 years will be actually a little better than Romo but almost dead on.
They literally have the same GM as well.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Every QB makes mistakes. Some are just easily disguised by a great supporting cast and some stand out glaringly.

I believe Mahomes threw an Int in the SB and his defense shut it down, without giving up any points.
The diff being Mahomes went to and won Super Bowls.

Our sad sack QB of late is 2-5 in 8 years. (I believe mostly 1st round losses.)

Proof

Reaction score
An 8th year starter who has had EVERY CONCEIVABLE INVESTMENT MADE INTO HIM...including getting most of the snaps his rookie year...

vs. a guy who sat due to pandemic, was drafted...got injured...and has limited playing time.

Yeah...a fair comparison. If we put 8 years into Lance, gave him 2 #1WRS, a certified 3 down back and countless complimentary weapons...Martz would have a point.
9ers had so many weapons mr irrelevant was an immediate mvp caliber qb. so lances excuse is...?

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Like I put in the other thread, wish would see the positive version of this from Jerry. Feel like all he ever says is "we had him graded as a second rounder, and got him for a 4th." Just gives me Henson, Hutchinson project vibes, and hasn't stopped. I'm all for moving on from Dak if he keeps flopping in the Playoffs, but unlike many of Dak's detractors, I am not on any Trey Lance bandwagon other than it would probably nail us a high draft pick for a franchise QB.
Jerry is probably still looking for his McNair / Mcnabb clone .

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
He fumbled a field goal snap under pressure..let me guess that was everyone elses fault...but Dak.. thats all his fault..Romo threw INT's in the playoffs whos fault where those?
Romo threw two picks in 6 games, one on a desperation last play of the Giants game in 2007. Prior to that he threw a correctly placed ball to Crayton who for some reason hesitated on his route and so it appeared like he overthrew him. The other game he threw a pick in was the road Minnesota game where the offensive line was a sieve and the defense folded. Compared to Dak in the playoffs as far as interceptions are concerned he’s been an A+ to D student.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He fumbled a field goal snap under pressure..let me guess that was everyone elses fault...but Dak.. thats all his fault..Romo threw INT's in the playoffs whos fault where those?
Ah....yer still hurt by that field goal fumble? Poor dear.

So tuna couldnt find someone else to hold other than his starting qb? Who should have been on the sidelines looking at overhead photos.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
I've never been sold on Martz. 4 starters from the Greatest Show on Turf are in the Hall of Fame, and Torry Holt's on the borderline. If you gave me 4-5 HOFers starting on offense, I could call plays from the Madden Easy Mode playbook and at least make the conference championship.
This is the same guy that chose Marc Bulger over Kurt Warner. Solid offensive mind that had exceptional talent, but I wouldn't trust his evaluation any more than some of the posters on this board.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I was paying attention when Romo was surrounded by much less talent and he still played well. Dak has been surrounded by talent that most QBs will kill to play with. Dak said it best when he said the game against the 49ers was too fast for him. Intensity always rises in the playoffs and Dak is not capable of raising his game to the level needed to win.
I was always a Romo fan and I know he was the reason all those 8-8 Jason Garrett coached teams were not three or four win teams instead. But in the end it takes a complete roster to win it all. Romo was on some absolutely loaded teams from 2006-09 and he could never quite get it done either. At the same time Dak took a ton of blame early in 2018 when his receivers were Allen Hurns, Tavon Austin, and Deonte Thompson and his tight end was Geoff Swaim.

The thing is the Cowboys ought to know what they have and don't have in Dak by now. If they haven't put a team around him that puts him in position to succeed, than that's on them. If they don't think he's the guy that can get them where they want to go, why is he still here? This is on them as well. Like I said elsewhere on this forum, Dak is who he is. It's the Jones Boys that don't have a plan.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
This is the same guy that chose Marc Bulger over Kurt Warner. Solid offensive mind that had exceptional talent, but I wouldn't trust his evaluation any more than some of the posters on this board.
In fairness to Martz, Marc Bulger wasn't chopped liver. He made a Pro Bowl immediately after taking over from Warner, and went to another in '06. Injuries and Martz's suicidal gameplans cooked him (7 step drop pass plays on a gutted-out 2 win offense), but he had talent.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Not sure why performance is bad in the post season?

1. The better more balanced teams make it to the playoffs.
2. Better teams take away your strengths and force you to beat them with your weaknesses.

That is why balance is the key, which GM Jethro does not comprehend, just like half our fans.

Why does Micah not play well against good teams and in the playoffs? Because they choose to neutralize him with double and even triple team him.

Why do we have so many sacks and INT's in the regular season? Because unbalanced crappy teams fall behind and become 1 dimensional.

Just like we do in the playoffs.

We are 1 dimensional on offense and defense.

We complain about all of our receivers accept CD. So defenses focus on him and then what???

I don't want a $30M 2,000 yard WR. I would rather have 3 $10M WR's at 1,000 yards a piece.

What do you think would be easier to stop?

No QB is going to win in Dallas until GM Jethro learns how to build a balanced complimentary football team, which would require a strategical all in rebuild.
I didn’t see this great post until now.

Nice work….and very true.

Although if you look at most of our regular season games against playoff caliber opponents, it’s the same.

Dallas is routinely outcoached by the other side and it’s been that way for some time. But the top qualifier is never about a HCs ability to outscheme opponents, it’s if Jerry can push them around and perform his little act and be a celebrity. Most decent coaches don’t want to get involved, so you’re left with whoever is desperate for a paycheck (Mike, with Zimmer next) or is still very green and happy for the opportunity (Garrett, Moore).

The FO leaves gaping holes in the starting lineup that the better coaches are going to find and exploit.

Coaching absolutely matters, and Jerry doesn’t agree. He is still trying to collect stars and have someone stand on the sidelines that won’t take the spotlight away from him. That type of person will not have an easy time commanding an NFL locker room.

Still, Jerry and his kid think they are “close.”

Three extremely difficult wins away from a championship is not that. Delusional and clueless is more like it.