Mike Martz's take on Trey Lance

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He plays good enough in the regular season but what’s his combined stats in playoff games? I bet those numbers are way off. Once the competition gets tough, dak falters each time.

No shot against him but he has reached his ceiling and done incredibly well as a 4th rounder. But, those limitations get exposed every year in January
that's an issue. no doubt. not sure why performance is bad in post season, but its not isolated to Dak. I am disappointed in the entire team. defense, offense, special teams and coaches.

LittleD

Reaction score
Mike Martz is out of football for a reason. He sucks. Lance is 24 which is the same age as most of the QB's coming out in 3 weeks. If Lance was in this year's draft he would be in the top 3 for certain.

sbark

Reaction score
More fans don't say it because it isn't true.

Dak started 11 games in his sophomore season, and every game his junior & senior seasons. In other words, he WAS a long term starter in the SEC.

Lance, on the other hand, was a one year starter at a Division II school, which isn't anything like Dak.

I don't care if your opinion of Dak isn't high, but at least get your facts straight.
Biggest diff....dak was a system qb....he ran a play in college, didnt play the game....

Lance was in a pro set offense, his QB coach was Randy Hedberg, with good NFl expier to pass along.

Dak....is a system qb trapped halfway between, under pressure he reverts....like a golf swing flaw...it always reverts.

Lance....jury out, needs years and snaps like J.Love got, then needs a run game, wco like at ndsu.
Then he has a chsnce...a chance

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Mike Martz is out of football for a reason. He sucks. Lance is 24 which is the same age as most of the QB's coming out in 3 weeks. If Lance was in this year's draft he would be in the top 3 for certain.
What evidence do you have to support this?

Motorola

Reaction score
Took literally one post for people to bring up Dak in a Lance thread

Do you guys know there are players on the roster who aren’t Dak Prescott?
Did you really think a thread created about Trey Lance - the 3rrd string ... and perhaps the future Dallas QB (4th round swap by the GM last summer) ..would not morph into some mentions\discussions \ debate about the present Cowboys starting QB Dak Prescott ?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't know why more fans don't say it, he does remind me of Dak. The unpolished, no long-term starter in the SEC, Dak.
What are you talking about? Dak had 3 full seasons of very good QB stats. Lance only had 1. Not even close to being the same or similar.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
What are you talking about? Dak had 3 full seasons of very good QB stats. Lance only had 1. Not even close to being the same or similar.
Good point. And Lance’s were in the MVC, not the SEC. Here’s two other NFL quarterbacks that matriculated at North Dakota State. Easton Stick and Carson Wentz. Look up their respective college “stats” and then consider Trey Lance as the new QB1 of the Dallas Cowboys. Hysterical. Dak Prescott is a fool if he ever signs another contract with the Cowboys, for any amount.

CWR

Reaction score
Mike Martz is often referred to as a "doodoo head" in NFL circles.

LEGGO TREY!!

shabazz

Reaction score
Mike Martz gives favorable reviews for Dak Prescott, while giving poor reviews of Trey Lance.

I have a bad feeling about this thread's future...
And that's why it's important to see things as they really are.....Martzs critique not withstanding.

We all know what Dak does well and what he doesn't, but I'd have to see much more of Trey before praising or critiquing

The only thing we know is that Shanahan deemed him UNFIXABLE.......and that is not encouraging

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Physical attributes, not experience. I already acknowledged Dak had the pedigree. Growing up in the SEC is about as NFL ready as you can get.

Like the other person pointed out though, the comments though on running like a fullback, accuracy issues, good long ball, remind me of Dak.

Physically both have a lot in common.
You specifically said "no long term starter in SEC".

lukemartin79

Reaction score
I'm ready to listen to a better football person than Mike Martz a guy who wants to pass pass pass
A better football person, LOL. What are you talking about - he was the architect of The Greatest Show on Turf Rams. Yes, it was about passing the football - but he had a decently balanced offense. Faulk "ran" for over 1300 yards 3 straight seasons under Martz. Rushed for almost 20 TDs one season under Martz. This guy took an undrafted Kurt Warner, who wasn't in the league, and made him a Hall of Fame QB. No, he doesn't know anything about QB's - better find somebody qualified for that, LOL - give me a break.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
he did say Lance sucks essentially. half of the people on this board are saying Lance will be great. and hasn't gotten a fair shake.

he is nowhere close to Dak. I am not advocating for Dak, but perhaps we go with lance, end up with a top 5 pick and a chance to pick an elite QB
I will take Martz's word for it over the "know it alls" on this forum, LOL. That is still one of the oddest trades Ive seen. Giving up a 4th rounder for a guy you will never play while he is here. Strange - but thats Jerry