Mike Martz's take on Trey Lance

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
LOL. Why post this crap? I was expecting some real Martz analysis, but it was just a twenty second negative comment about running like a fullback and missing two receivers in the rain (if that), then three unknown guys talking about it.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I will take Martz's word for it over the "know it alls" on this forum, LOL. That is still one of the oddest trades Ive seen. Giving up a 4th rounder for a guy you will never play while he is here. Strange - but thats Jerry
There’s 1 guy who said Lance was traded because he was a distraction in the locker room. He was a distraction all right, It was like a knife cut everytime they saw Lance practicing knowing they gave up 3 first round picks.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
"I want [49ers coaches'] eyeballs here," Martz said regarding Lance. "I've never seen anything about this kid that was encouraging at all. He really has to plant himself to make a good throw, he's not a quick decision guy."

Lance has been praised for his mobility, which was a large reason he was selected third overall in 2021 – but Martz said he "looked like a fullback stumbling around trying to run the ball."

"I've never liked him. I still don't like him," he said. "I'd like to know what he does so well. He's not a great passer, he doesn't have good skills, takes a long time to set himself to throw the football, misses easy throws."

Well, that's discouraging

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
What are you talking about? Dak had 3 full seasons of very good QB stats. Lance only had 1. Not even close to being the same or similar.

You specifically said "no long term starter in SEC".

I guess I need better grammar. LOL Fooled everyone.

Here is what I was trying to say: "Lance is a Dak physical clone, just without the 4 years in SEC."

lukemartin79

Reaction score
There’s 1 guy who said Lance was traded because he was a distraction in the locker room. He was a distraction all right, It was like a knife cut everytime they saw Lance practicing knowing they gave up 3 first round picks.
Didn't know that, thanks. Lynch has made a lot of great moves since he's been there and built a helluva team - but Lance stands as his one colossal mistake. He got lucky and got bailed out by their 7th Rounder turning out to be Purdy.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn't know that, thanks. Lynch has made a lot of great moves since he's been there and built a helluva team - but Lance stands as his one colossal mistake. He got lucky and got bailed out by their 7th Rounder turning out to be Purdy.
You crowned him already?

starman22

Reaction score
Yes it does. But when you want a big money deal and you're Micah Parsons, maybe show up against the Packers too.

Listen this is not making excuses for Dak at all, it's just pointing out the rest of this team needs to get their stuff together too.
Maybe every time someone wants to say something critical about Dak, they should preface it with "I know the defense sucks, but" and then go on to criticize Dak.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
More fans don't say it because it isn't true.

Dak started 11 games in his sophomore season, and every game his junior & senior seasons. In other words, he WAS a long term starter in the SEC.

Lance, on the other hand, was a one year starter at a Division II school, which isn't anything like Dak.

I don't care if your opinion of Dak isn't high, but at least get your facts straight.
I will thank you not to interject your pesky facts into a perfectly good emotional argument, sir.

Chasing6

Reaction score
"I want [49ers coaches'] eyeballs here," Martz said regarding Lance. "I've never seen anything about this kid that was encouraging at all. He really has to plant himself to make a good throw, he's not a quick decision guy."

Lance has been praised for his mobility, which was a large reason he was selected third overall in 2021 – but Martz said he "looked like a fullback stumbling around trying to run the ball."

"I've never liked him. I still don't like him," he said. "I'd like to know what he does so well. He's not a great passer, he doesn't have good skills, takes a long time to set himself to throw the football, misses easy throws."

BINGO!!!

You don't learn how to play QB in 1 year.

BigD_95

Reaction score

"I'd like to know what he does so well. He's not a great passer, he doesn't have good skills, takes a long time to set himself to throw the football, misses easy throws."

Wait - is he talking about Dak? That is is the issues Dak has and is cheaper. I would like to add Dak can't read a defense.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I will take Martz's word for it over the "know it alls" on this forum, LOL. That is still one of the oddest trades Ive seen. Giving up a 4th rounder for a guy you will never play while he is here. Strange - but thats Jerry
He has no record as a qb guru. As has been mentioned he lucked out that his backup qb/grocery bagger was better than anyone had given him credit.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Did you really think a thread created about Trey Lance - the 3rrd string ... and perhaps the future Dallas QB (4th round swap by the GM last summer) ..would not morph into some mentions\discussions \ debate about the present Cowboys starting QB Dak Prescott ?

I guess not, because I occasionally forget how many people here are obsessed with the starting QB and apparently think about him every waking moment of their lives.

Chasing6

Reaction score
More fans don't say it because it isn't true.

Dak started 11 games in his sophomore season, and every game his junior & senior seasons. In other words, he WAS a long term starter in the SEC.

Lance, on the other hand, was a one year starter at a Division II school, which isn't anything like Dak.

I don't care if your opinion of Dak isn't high, but at least get your facts straight.
I did not take Dak until his Senior year in HS to win the starting job. Trance average 5 completions a game. Give me a break.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I'd say up to this point, Martz has been correct about Lance. Fortunately, players can develop, especially those who have had as little experience as Lance has. I'm sure what the 49ers saw was potential. However, while waiting on it, they unexpectedly found a starting quarterback and had no reason to wait any longer on something that might never happen.

We've got him and we'll see how it goes. I'm not sure the purpose of speculation beyond that, other than either to be negative about Lance or to be negative about Dak. I mean, these comments from Martz are from September 2022.
And 100% accurate.