Mike Martz's take on Trey Lance

lukemartin79

Reaction score
He has no record as a qb guru. As has been mentioned he lucked out that his backup qb/grocery bagger was better than anyone had given him credit.
Yes, he does. He groomed Trent Green in his first years in the league in Washington. He was their QB coach. Then after Warner he found success with another nobody at the time - Marc Bulger. Pretty good track record there

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What are your qualifications to say that? Pencil pusher, oil field worker?
Fan who knows football. Are you an IT guy? Do you know to reply to a comment? Are you a professional writer to make sure you can write a sensible reply? Maybe you don't have the technical capability to find clips and review film?

Just thought I'd ask since you have no problem questioning people's capabilities in accessing football players skills and or lack of.

Can you drive a truck and give someone a review of what you like about the truck, are you a mechanic?

Lol...just kidding...

Chasing6

Reaction score
Physical attributes, not experience. I already acknowledged Dak had the pedigree. Growing up in the SEC is about as NFL ready as you can get.

Like the other person pointed out though, the comments though on running like a fullback, accuracy issues, good long ball, remind me of Dak.

Physically both have a lot in common.
Colleges wanted Trance to be LB or a Safety.

Kwyn

Reaction score
There are a bunch of fans who are “anyone but Dak”. I get the frustration, but unless their secret motivation is a tank job, it’s silly.

Rush. Lance. lol.

These are the same people who wanted DiNucci and Walsh. The same people who would likely complain about Herbert, Allen or Burrow.

I’m fine with a change this year but I’m not so ridiculous as to think that it would make us a better team in 2024 or give us better immediate results.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Yes, he does. He groomed Trent Green in his first years in the league in Washington. He was their QB coach. Then after Warner he found success with another nobody at the time - Marc Bulger. Pretty good track record there
Those are nobody types. That's not a good track record.

Chasing6

Reaction score
he did say Lance sucks essentially. half of the people on this board are saying Lance will be great. and hasn't gotten a fair shake.

he is nowhere close to Dak. I am not advocating for Dak, but perhaps we go with lance, end up with a top 5 pick and a chance to pick an elite QB
They are correct.

It took him 4 years just to play his senior year in HS. That was not fair.

He was not recruited to play QB. That was not fair, every college was just blind and could not see his talent.

He only played 1 year in college. That was not fair. They should have started him as a freshman.
He choose to sit out a Covid year, that was his choice, but that was not fair either, it was a pandemic.

It was not fair that he got drafted by the most balanced team in the NFL. It was not fair that he got hurt twice, running QB's don't usually get hurt.

It was not fair that he got beat out by Mr.
Irrelevant(how does that happen), who had a much more serious injury than both of Trance's injuries combined.

Do see how ridiculous this sounds?

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
They are correct.

It took him 4 years just to play his senior year in HS. That was not fair.

He was not recruited to play QB. That was not fair, every college was just blind and could not see his talent.

He only played 1 year in college. That was not fair. They should have started him as a freshman.
He choose to sit out a Covid year, that was his choice, but that was fair either, it was a pandemic.

It was not fair that he got drafted by the most balanced team in the NFL. It was not fair that he got hurt twice, running QB's don't usually don't get hurt.

It was not fair that he got beat out by Mr.
Irrelevant(how does that happen), who had a much more serious injury than both of Trance's injuries combined.

Do see how ridiculous this sounds?
its about having some type of hope and people are just hanging out to straws in the middle of a typhoon

Chasing6

Reaction score
So...since Martz is harshly criticizing the Forty-niners for picking Lance...this session was probably done while he was still on the team = before last August.
Anyone following up with Marsh on what he thinks of the Cowboys trading a 4th round pick to SF just before the 2023 season started?
What has changed since then? Time.

plasticman

Reaction score
Is this a joke? Mike Martz inherited the "Greatest Show on Turf, the Rams, and ran that franchise into the ground. He is totally overrated.

If he was such a QB whisperer, then why couldn't he repeat the success he had after Kurt Warner with Marc Bulger?

I consider his opinion to be a resounding endorsement of Trey Lance.

Motorola

Reaction score
What has changed since then? Time.
Again - with Martz's negative opinion on the 49ers' mistake in making Lance a 1st round pick 3 years ago - what is his take on the Cowboys doubling down on the QB with trading a 4th-round pick last summer?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"I want [49ers coaches'] eyeballs here," Martz said regarding Lance. "I've never seen anything about this kid that was encouraging at all. He really has to plant himself to make a good throw, he's not a quick decision guy."

Lance has been praised for his mobility, which was a large reason he was selected third overall in 2021 – but Martz said he "looked like a fullback stumbling around trying to run the ball."

"I've never liked him. I still don't like him," he said. "I'd like to know what he does so well. He's not a great passer, he doesn't have good skills, takes a long time to set himself to throw the football, misses easy throws."

Coaches are better at coaching than predicting player success...

2017 draft
Mitch Trubisky 2nd overall
Patrick Mahomes 10th overall

2000 draft
Sort by QB...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_NFL_draft

Tom Brady 6th round

Chasing6

Reaction score
that's an issue. no doubt. not sure why performance is bad in post season, but its not isolated to Dak. I am disappointed in the entire team. defense, offense, special teams and coaches.
Not sure why performance is bad in the post season?

1. The better more balanced teams make it to the playoffs.
2. Better teams take away your strengths and force you to beat them with your weaknesses.

That is why balance is the key, which GM Jethro does not comprehend, just like half our fans.

Why does Micah not play well against good teams and in the playoffs? Because they choose to neutralize him with double and even triple team him.

Why do we have so many sacks and INT's in the regular season? Because unbalanced crappy teams fall behind and become 1 dimensional.

Just like we do in the playoffs.

We are 1 dimensional on offense and defense.

We complain about all of our receivers accept CD. So defenses focus on him and then what???

I don't want a $30M 2,000 yard WR. I would rather have 3 $10M WR's at 1,000 yards a piece.

What do you think would be easier to stop?

No QB is going to win in Dallas until GM Jethro learns how to build a balanced complimentary football team, which would require a strategical all in rebuild.