Mike Martz's take on Trey Lance

Chasing6

Reaction score
Jones is focused on his stars. the people you mentioned, Micah, CD and Dak are top 10 in Jersey sales which directly translates to money for Jerry.
Jersey sales happen mostly during the pre-season and regualr season. not post season. post season success is almost irrelevant.
some would argue if we win superbowl and have post season success it would mean more for Jerry. Perhaps. but right now, the current strategy has made cowboys #1 highest valued franchise and he has 3 of the top 10 jersey sales.
Young rising stars are great on rookie deals. If they assend to the highest paid in the league, you have to trade them for picks. Too detrimental to a team to pay 1 player that kind of money.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Maybe every time someone wants to say something critical about Dak, they should preface it with "I know the defense sucks, but" and then go on to criticize Dak.
That's not what I am saying. What I AM saying is, name me a player that had a great performance against the Packers, not someone like Dak or Lamb or Ferguson who piled up numbers after the outcome was already decided.

There just tends to be tunnel vision here when the Cowboys lose and everything gets lumped under "Dak". Yes, he was bad in the playoffs. No, the Cowboys would not have won even if he was good.

Chasing6

Reaction score
That's not what I am saying. What I AM saying is, name me a player that had a great performance against the Packers, not someone like Dak or Lamb or Ferguson who piled up numbers after the outcome was already decided.

There just tends to be tunnel vision here when the Cowboys lose and everything gets lumped under "Dak". Yes, he was bad in the playoffs. No, the Cowboys would not have won even if he was good.
Defense was 7 for 7.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Mike Martz is out of football for a reason. He sucks. Lance is 24 which is the same age as most of the QB's coming out in 3 weeks. If Lance was in this year's draft he would be in the top 3 for certain.
So if you believe the Cowboys to already have a top 3 draft talent in Trey Lance, would you be fine with the idea of them forgoing drafting a QB for the next several seasons after Dak is gone? Even if they have a chance at a top 5 draft pick?

pitt33

Reaction score
That is still debatable in GM Jethro's mind.

In my mind we need a franchise GM.
Of course but we all know the Jones family will always own Dallas.

And watch Steven anoint himself GM someday.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess you have no idea how sports work.

Typically to play a sport in college. You have to play it in HS or on a travel team.

Most NFL QB's, if not all played QB in HS at a high level against low competition.

Now some HS RB end up being a LB or a CB ends up being a WR. DL end up on the OLine.

That does not happen at the QB position.

Hence the reason, no one had any interest in giving Trance QB scholarship.

He was definitely more like a FB in HS.
I guess you have no idea how discussions, logic and context work.

You can't logically change the topic of the discussion and pretend it disputes what someone says about a different topic.

The topic we were discussing was years as a starter in college, and how the experience in college was different between Lance and Dak. That was the the context, so it had nothing to do with high school or scholarship opportunities.

Yet there you were acting like you bringing up high school somehow disputed what I wrote about Dak & Lance's experience in college, therefore you missed on both context and logic.

Nothing I wrote was incorrect, regardless of what Dak & Lance did in high school.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I had to do a breakdown of Trey Lance in his 2020 championship game against James Madison (Ben DeNucci was their QB). An agent I work with wanted to sign him and asked me to give him my thoughts.

I had heard a ton of buzz about him and was excited to finally watch him play. I wanted to be impressed.

Instead, I saw a guy who was by far, a better athlete than everyone else on the field. He went 6 for 10 for 72 yards against guys that were probably a few weeks away from delivering packages for UPS. He had 30 carries for 181 yards, and he could run whenever he wanted to. I wanted to see this guy who was being talked about as a top 5 NFL draft pick be able to pick apart an FCS defense, but he just kept taking off from the pocket. He was one read and out.

The agent passed.

Chasing6

Reaction score
So you fail to see the lack of playing time in HS, only delayed his development and prolonged him from playing in college, and at a significantly lower level.

If you are a track star, maybe you can become a WR or a CB. If you a RB, you can't become a QB overnight. A QB could become a RB, but not the other way around unfortunately.

kskboys

Reaction score
I guess you have no idea how sports work.

Typically to play a sport in college. You have to play it in HS or on a travel team.

Most NFL QB's, if not all played QB in HS at a high level against low competition.

Now some HS RB end up being a LB or a CB ends up being a WR. DL end up on the OLine.

That does not happen at the QB position.

Hence the reason, no one had any interest in giving Trance QB scholarship.

He was definitely more like a FB in HS.
Drew Pearson and Charlie Waters were QBs in High School.

kskboys

Reaction score
So you fail to see the lack of playing time in HS, only delayed his development and prolonged him from playing in college, and at a significantly lower level.

If you are a track star, maybe you can become a WR or a CB. If you a RB, you can't become a QB overnight. A QB could become a RB, but not the other way around unfortunately.
Yeah, Tannehill tried it and just never could get to a high enough level of play.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not sure why performance is bad in the post season?

1. The better more balanced teams make it to the playoffs.
2. Better teams take away your strengths and force you to beat them with your weaknesses.

That is why balance is the key, which GM Jethro does not comprehend, just like half our fans.

Why does Micah not play well against good teams and in the playoffs? Because they choose to neutralize him with double and even triple team him.

Why do we have so many sacks and INT's in the regular season? Because unbalanced crappy teams fall behind and become 1 dimensional.

Just like we do in the playoffs.

We are 1 dimensional on offense and defense.

We complain about all of our receivers accept CD. So defenses focus on him and then what???

I don't want a $30M 2,000 yard WR. I would rather have 3 $10M WR's at 1,000 yards a piece.

What do you think would be easier to stop?

No QB is going to win in Dallas until GM Jethro learns how to build a balanced complimentary football team, which would require a strategical all in rebuild.
Extremely well said.

kskboys

Reaction score
Is this a joke? Mike Martz inherited the "Greatest Show on Turf, the Rams, and ran that franchise into the ground. He is totally overrated.

If he was such a QB whisperer, then why couldn't he repeat the success he had after Kurt Warner with Marc Bulger?

I consider his opinion to be a resounding endorsement of Trey Lance.
Martz ran that stupid long developing routes O. Ruined Bulger's career.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
The ‘problems’ with Trey Lance can either be fixed - or they can’t. So when do the Cowboys begin to go to work on the ‘Trey Project’?