Mike Mayocks last Mock just went live

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
SDogo;4524375 said:
Dont waste your breath, defending Brockers in any way around these parts is a lost cause.

There are some things I do like about Brockers. I just do not like his bench and lack of speed but if thats where the Cowboys go I will get on board.

I just hope he turns out better than Poe if we go with him

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
It's interesting that when JSOnline polled NFL scouts Brockers polled just slightly behind Cox among 3-4 teams, and better than Cox for 4-3 teams.

With the league close to evenly split by 4-3 and 3-4 defenses, scouts were asked to rank the players based on the scheme their team employs. There were 14 scouts representing 4-3 teams and seven from 3-4 teams.

In each poll, scouts were asked to rank the best players on a 1-to-5 basis, with five points assigned to first place and so forth. No limits were placed on the players the scouts could choose from other than players couldn't be voted for again in the D-line polls or in the linebacker polls coming Wednesday.

Here were the results of the polls.

Defensive end in a 4-3: Quinton Coples, 57 points (nine firsts); Whitney Mercilus, 35 (one first); Nick Perry, 25 (two firsts); Chandler Jones, 24 (one first); Andre Branch, 18 (one first); Melvin Ingram, 14; Vinny Curry, 12; Courtney Upshaw, 11; Bruce Irvin, five; Jared Crick, three; Tyrone Crawford and Shea McClellin two; Jack Crawford and Olivier Vernon, one.

Defensive tackle in a 4-3: Michael Brockers, 59 points (seven firsts); Fletcher Cox, 48 (five firsts); Dontari Poe, 45 (two firsts); Jerel Worthy, 16; Devon Still, 15; Kendall Reyes, 14; Brandon Thompson, four; Ingram three; Coples, Mike Martin and Derek Wolfe, two.

Defensive end in a 3-4: Cox, 21 points (three firsts); Brockers, 20 (two firsts); Coples, 17 (two firsts); Reyes, 16; Still, 12; Tyrone Crawford, seven; Jones, five; Worthy, three; Akiem Hicks and Billy Winn, two.

Woods

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4525031 said:
It's interesting that when JSOnline polled NFL scouts Brockers polled just slightly behind Cox among 3-4 teams, and better than Cox for 4-3 teams.

That's interesting.

I would have guessed the other way round, actually. Cox better at DT vs. Brockers for 43 teams, but Brockers possibly better than Cox as a 34 End.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;4524369 said:
And some scouts say he is a possible steal in the teens because next year he is potentially top 5 - 10

And just as many think he'll never do a thing at this level.

Meanwhile, you won't find a single scout that says DeCastro will be a bust. The worst thing you'll hear about him is that he'll just be "good".

Randy White

Reaction score
jterrell;4524927 said:
Good stuff.
Let me rebut.

Brockers may not be an elite pass rusher a la Fletcher but he can still "effect" the pass rush mightily.

Let me toss a name at you: Leon Lett. ..

See, THIS is why I mocked him at #5 to Tampa earlier this year. I " see " the reasons for the " football love ". I mean, the guy is a special physical speciment. I just think that he'd be a force in a 4-3 as a DT doing exactly what you described more than a 3-4 DE.

Now, if we do take him, just like with T.Smith last year, I wouldn't have a single problem with him whatsoever. I don't think the Cowboys can go wrong with him. It's just that I'd rather go with my guy.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
DBOY3141;4524387 said:
Every draft is. Last year it was Smith. This year will be the same.

Brockers become's our 2nd best d-lineman and best run stuffer from day 1.

If we come back and get Zeitler in the 2nd and they think he can play center then we've beefed up both lines.

Substitute "Brockers" for "Spears" and you've got this board in April of 2005.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Fredd;4524954 said:
Mayock's list lost credibility with me as soon as I saw Richardson going #5, and Claiborne #6...I can see teams jumping up to #3 to get either one of those and Cleveland will take Richardson if he is there at #4 anyway....

That would mean (trade notwithstanding), Minne would take Kalil and Cleveland would take Blackmon. Nothing unrealistic about that.

Randy White

Reaction score
Woods;4524933 said:
I agree with a lot of your points.

My issue is that I think we can get a very good 34 DE in Round 2 or 3 who can be a solid run stuffer, power player, and help collapse the pocket.

Does that role command the use of the 14th overall pick?

Now, if the Cowboys brass believes that Brockers is significantly better than guys like Kirkpatrick, Upshaw, Ingram, Gilmore, Poe, etc., and significantly better value than a DE they can get in Round 2 and 3, then I can understand staying at 14 and making the pick.

I guess I don't yet appreciate that Brockers commands that 14th overall pick.

EDIT: But I have to admit that if teams including the Pats and Eagles are interested in this player, then I must be missing how special he is at that spot in the Draft . . . . .

Second this.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;4524406 said:
Im curious as to how many fan on here would not want Marcel Dareus with the reasoning they are using for not wanting Brockers.

Dareus had MUCH better film than Brockers does. Watching Brockers just makes you say "meh". He's a two down run stuffer, nothing more.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CATCH17;4524406 said:
Im curious as to how many fan on here would not want Marcel Dareus with the reasoning they are using for not wanting Brockers.
If Brockers was as productive as Dareus and had the measurables that Dareus had, it'd be a completely different scenario. The problem is precisely that he doesn't have all that. His entire claim to fame is that some people just "see" something, with no real explanation of what that is other than "potential". That something doesn't show up in a stat sheet or a stop watch, and most of us can't "see" it when we watch him, so skepticism is through the roof.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I think people forget Brockers is about two years younger than the majority of his peers.

Kid could end up being a monster....I would love the pick.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Oh_Canada;4525221 said:
I think people forget Brockers is about two years younger than the majority of his peers.

Kid could end up being a monster....I would love the pick.

Youngest player in the draft, just like Smith last year.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Brockers projects as probably the best 3-4 defensive end in the draft. And if Dallas can develop up Stephen Bowen as a pass rushing player, I think Brockers has a better chance of doing just the same. But he starts off at a much higher place to get it sorted. He would be welcomed by this fan.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
SDogo;4525233 said:
Youngest player in the draft, just like Smith last year.

Comparisons are crazy strong.

Best looking guys in briefs (to scouts who love huge fit athletes) and youngest player in draft.

Never made strongest collegiate statement but played on teams with multiple draftees and played well. Left school early.

Brockers isn't my guy per se but he is a real option and worth every bit of pick 14.

btcutter

Reaction score
jterrell;4525511 said:
Comparisons are crazy strong.

Best looking guys in briefs (to scouts who love huge fit athletes) and youngest player in draft.

Never made strongest collegiate statement but played on teams with multiple draftees and played well. Left school early.

Brockers isn't my guy per se but he is a real option and worth every bit of pick 14.

I take Poe over Brockers if we are going on Potential alone.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
CATCH17;4525177 said:
What was Dareus's production after just his Sophomore year?

dareus had 11 career sacks... but he was a primo pass rusher i guess....

brockers had 50+ tackles last year including 10 for a loss with 2 sacks.

his final season dareus had 4.5 sacks, 33 tackles and 11 tackles for loss....

too bad dareus was so much more productive right? lol

dwmyers

Reaction score
So, if I go cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs, can I go bonkers for Brockers?

j93vpv.jpg

Gaede

Reaction score
jterrell;4524927 said:
Brockers may not be an elite pass rusher a la Fletcher but he can still "effect" the pass rush mightily.

Let me toss a name at you: Leon Lett. New DL coach and 6'6" DT who pushed the pocket and got his hands up. Only had 22 sacks for his career but boosted our pass rush. And he was a rotational guy.

The idea of getting a Leon Lett makes me very happy

Thatkidbob

Reaction score
dwmyers;4525529 said:
So, if I go cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs, can I go bonkers for Brockers?

j93vpv.jpg

I'm going bonkers then.

I was totally against Brockers initially, but I'm coming around on the guy. I'd be happy getting him with our #1 pick.