Mike Mayocks last Mock just went live

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Sasquatch;4524650 said:
I'm not wedded to anyone player in this draft and would be content with most of the names floated for the first round selection, but why would the Chiefs choose Barron? Their run defense was atrocious, they lost a starting CB, and their OL needs work as well. What's the logic here, strictly BPA?

I'm wedded to Hightower but, alas, he will not be a Cowboy. :p:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
dwight;4524644 said:
You don't draft a player with the 14th pick due to his Potential. That is such a risk. Trade down if Barron and Cox are not there. Decastro still may be there in the late teens. He was productive in college. Atleast consider selecting him. The player I remember Dallas selecting who had potential was Bennett. Review how that ended. Dallas has to learn from their history.

They took Demarcus Ware 100% on his projected potential.

Are you guys new to the draft? 90% of it is what your potential is in a teams scheme.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Sasquatch;4524650 said:
I'm not wedded to anyone player in this draft and would be content with most of the names floated for the first round selection, but why would the Chiefs choose Barron? Their run defense was atrocious, they lost a starting CB, and their OL needs work as well. What's the logic here, strictly BPA?

Yeah thats my thinking.

They already have Berry, they let Carr walk cause they didn't want to invest that much into CBs, why in the world would they want to put themselves in the position to have to let either Berry or Barron walk cause they don't want to invest that much in the safety position.

Just makes no sense to me at all.

Gaede

Reaction score
jterrell;4524566 said:
Brockers is a Texas kid who who weighs 322 pounds and carries it well. He isn't a 240 pound pass rushing demon but he bats aside OL that the 240 pound guys have to run away from.

As hard as it is to admit for fans apparently our DL is where we have the least amount of true NFL talent. We have a bunch of back up caliber guys and Jay Ratliff. Brockers selection allows us to cut Coleman and rotate the DL with more size and more talent.

Good post. I am definitely coming around on the kid.

btcutter

Reaction score
jterrell;4524630 said:
Yes, they did. And each had maxed out at the college level.
Neither had any room for improvement in the pros.

Brockers has added 60 pounds in 2+ years and is only 3 years out of high school. Had Brockers stayed another year he'd be Dorsey or Spears and drafted top 10 except he'd have rare NFL measurables to match SEC dominance.

You are entitled to like or not like anyone but the specifics of your arguments are pretty weak.

Upshaw or Hightower are much more like Dorsey and Spears. Veterans on great defenses that dominated and knew the schemes like the backs of their hands but showed athleticism concerns in post-season workouts.

Brockers can be a NT or a DE here. He is that athletic and big. His best work is his most recent.

None of us have all the info or tapes and we all like certain players.

Maybe Brockers do have higher ceiling but you are telling me that Dorsey and Spears because they are 1-2 yrs older that they MAXED out their potential is ridiculous.

Most opinons regarding Brockers is that he is a run stuffing DE and with POTENTIAL to learn pass rush. What I worrry about is that pass rushing isn't so easily learned or taught. To also say that he'll be a better passrusher than Hatcher is also stretching it a bit. Brocker hasn't proven that at all.

If we pick him I will hope that he proves me wrong and I would be estatic. I wil cheer for him to prove me wrong.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
At this point I'll just have to trust the people that do this for a living...if they think Brockers is the right guy let's go with it and support the decision

Dwight

Reaction score
CATCH17;4524660 said:

Are you guys new to the draft? 90% of it is what your potential is in a teams scheme.
Maybe I'm stating this incorrectly. I feel that you should go by college production and measurables. Brockers was only solid against the run and his combine was disappointing (even though he improved slightly at his pro day). As far as Ware, he was productive player. I didn't have any issues with his selection, but I had a problem with Spears.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
FWIW Brockers isn't in my top few choices for Dallas.

But those ruing are just insane. A full half the teams in the NFL(including us) had Brockers in for a private visit. He is very coveted.

As to LSU curse...
Dorsey was 6'1" and 297
Spears 6'4" and 307
Jackson 6'4" and 296

Brockers is literally a different beast at 6'5"+ and 322.

And to be clear by curse we mean guys who start for 3 or 4 years but underwhelm and are basically anthony spencer types who are solid NFL players but not sexy enough to warrant high picks.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
dwight;4524693 said:
Maybe I'm stating this incorrectly. I feel that you should go by college production and measurables. Brothers was only solid against the run and his combine was disappointing (even though he improved slightly at his pro day). As far as Ware, he was productive player. I didn't have any issues with his selection, but I had a problem with Spears.

Spears was a dominate college player and had far better collegiate production than Ware. Ware was rated well below us and only rose in the weeks leading up to the draft as pass rushers tend to do. Plenty of local ruing that we didnt go shawn merriman who had great college stats and combine numbers.

Brockers combine numbers were fine. He ran a 5.36 which is slow but how many 322 pounds guy can really fly? Poe was at 4.98 and is considered otherworldy.

Draft guys that can play, period. They don't need to have played great yesterday they need to be able to play great come week 1.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
btcutter;4524678 said:

Maybe Brockers do have higher ceiling but you are telling me that Dorsey and Spears because they are 1-2 yrs older that they MAXED out their potential is ridiculous.

Most opinons regarding Brockers is that he is a run stuffing DE and with POTENTIAL to learn pass rush. What I worrry about is that pass rushing isn't so easily learned or taught. To also say that he'll be a better passrusher than Hatcher is also stretching it a bit. Brocker hasn't proven that at all.

If we pick him I will hope that he proves me wrong and I would be estatic. I wil cheer for him to prove me wrong.

The thing is though, that when you are talking INTERIOR LINEMAN that statement simply is not true. When you are dealing with INTERIOR LINEMAN, the ability to rush the passer is something that all of them have to learn to do.

Almost all interior linemen struggle to rush the passer as Sophomores.

Gaede

Reaction score
CATCH17;4524660 said:

:hammer:

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I think Brockers' offseason work with Pete Jenkins carries a lot of weight. I think Jenkins is pretty highly regarded in the NFL. If Jenkins is telling teams that Brockers quickly picks up concepts, works hard and has unique natural gifts a lot of teams are going to start salivating over what he's going to be 2-3 years down the road.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4524728 said:
I think Brockers' offseason work with Pete Jenkins carries a lot of weight. I think Jenkins is pretty highly regarded in the NFL. If Jenkins is telling teams that Brockers quickly picks up concepts, works hard and has unique natural gifts a lot of teams are going to start salivating over what he's going to be 2-3 years down the road.

Very good point!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
btcutter;4524678 said:

I am telling you they maxed out their potential based on what we have actually seen. They haven't gotten any bigger nor have the produced marked NFL performance gains year to year.

SEC teams tend to have NFL caliber weight programs and development plans.
But every now and then a kid like Jason Witten comes out as a 21 year old with some room left to grow.

I like most of these players because this is a strong draft. Brockers would be very solid for us as would many others. We have holes and this draft has answers.

kmd24

Reaction score
jterrell;4524708 said:
Brockers combine numbers were fine. He ran a 5.36 which is slow but how many 322 pounds guy can really fly? Poe was at 4.98 and is considered otherworldy.

No, his numbers weren't fine at all. His pair of 20-yard shuttles were one of the worst in his position group and about 0.25 slower than Poe. It was reported he only did 19 reps on the bench and 21 at his pro day, which is really low for a guy who's supposed to throw OL around.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
SDogo;4524450 said:
It would be the pick because they have him that high on the draft board, teams are not forced to settle for anyone. That's why they put together a draft board.

The hate for Brockers is making people lose their ability to form rational thoughts.

Being objective is the only way to survive the draft with out driving yourself crazy and putting your blood pressure into another atmosphere.

My point was more so about the point that Dallas has next to little on the DL so almost any DL taken can be viewed towards the top of the bunch.

Gaede

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4524728 said:

Great point.

Work ethic are intelligence are two values that enabled Tyron Smith to succeed last year. He was raw as can be, but the team knew that he could learn and would work hard. I really didn't like Tyron last year, but was dead wrong about the guy because he had intangibles that you can't measure through a computer screen.

If Brockers also has those values, then run to the podium w/ the pick.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cowboy_ron;4524681 said:
At this point I'll just have to trust the people that do this for a living...if they think Brockers is the right guy let's go with it and support the decision

At this point? Hasn't it been that way all along?

:laugh2:

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
kmd24;4524751 said:
No, his numbers weren't fine at all. His pair of 20-yard shuttles were one of the worst in his position group and about 0.25 slower than Poe. It was reported he only did 19 reps on the bench and 21 at his pro day, which is really low for a guy who's supposed to throw OL around.

Quite honestly, I saw some of the drills that Brockers ran. He looked like he was dogging it a bit. Just my opinion.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Saw the Mock draft NFL network was doing with all the host making the selection and Irvin made the Cowboys pick and takes CB Stephon Gilmore