Mike McCarthy is making new playbook Dak inclusive and friendly

With Dak being given a big say about the new playbook, is that a good or bad idea?

• Good

Votes: 91 79.8%
  • Bad

Votes: 23 20.2%

• Total voters

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So do I jazz, so do I. But as long as Dak is QB1, you need an offense that is Dak friendly, just like if QB X was our QB, we would need an offense that is QB X friendly. Nevertheless I agree, we DO need a WIN friendly offense. LOL
I understand that. But it is so overblown...QB Friendly...surround with a team....All QB's need that.
However it is overused here and in a not so good way.
It is basically a put down to Dak. And I understand that. I am not so high on him. Never really was, but liked him ok enough, but do not hate on him either.
The last season and a half I have soured on him....but the term Dak Friendly is used worse than Romo Friendly. Or seems that way.

It should be more of a TEAM Friendly offense. Teams win.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Noooo....we dont want Dak thinking, that's where the uncertainty arises when receivers dont get open and he thinks he has to make the play (whether it's there or not). To me he looks better as a quick one/two read and then checkdown, rely on our two best receivers YAC attributes.
That is all QBs: 2 or 3 reads then get rid of the ball or scramble drill.

McCarthy is essentially putting a football cliche into action. In this case: attention to detail. Having everyone on the same page is going to reduce mistakes and allow people to play faster. You get to that point by knowing every detail beforehand.

You talk about him like he is incapable of making a decision. I think MM is approaching it as making the decision plain and as intuitive as possible. Details and repetition. It's just football.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I am ok with that. Take out the plays the team isn’t good at or have a hard time executing. It don’t mean Dak stinks at the play. Maybe it was poorly designed. These are plays Moore was calling. Sounds like they are going to use plays to spread the field. Will help the decision making on pass plays and spreading them out helps the running game. And if it breaks down it gives Dak a possible better lane to take off. As long as we don’t keep using the same 5 predictable plays over and over. If so then please get a good kicker..

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
That is all QBs: 2 or 3 reads then get rid of the ball or scramble drill.

McCarthy is essentially putting a football cliche into action. In this case: attention to detail. Having everyone on the same page is going to reduce mistakes and allow people to play faster. You get to that point by knowing every detail beforehand.

You talk about him like he is incapable of making a decision. I think MM is approaching it as making the decision plain and as intuitive as possible. Details and repetition. It's just football.
It looks as if he's going through more than two progressions. It looks as if he's waiting for something to develop, whereas, I think he'd be better off not having the distraction of thinking.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Haven't they said the same thing in other years with KM?

I mean, nothing out of the ordinary to have some feedback. Certainly at this time of year.

What matters is you keep working at things that are uncomfortable til they are comfortable so that you can expand your call sheet. All too often this team is it's best version early in the season. By mid season everyone has figured out the offense and we don't do much to counter.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
So nothing but runs and the most simple and elementary of passing plays?

I’m cool with that.
283524.image1.jpg

Big_D

Reaction score
How can anyone think this is a bad idea? QB and play caller need to be in sync special when installing some new wrinkles to the offense.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It looks as if he's going through more than two progressions. It looks as if he's waiting for something to develop, whereas, I think he'd be better off not having the distraction of thinking.
And there are many reasons why he may hesitate that do not include him being unable to think.

For example, the receivers and him were not on the same page. He spoke about how his reads had changed and he was adjusting. These are all things that will be alleviated by a higher attention to detail.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I’ll settle for an NFC Championship Game appearance. How’s that?
I would settle for 2 good performances in the Playoffs honestly, it means he has stepped it up. Beating up on bad team like TB and looking good only to look like a back up against the 49ers is the issue.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree !!! Im also for anything that helps the OL not lay eggs or the defense not lay eggs or any other variety of reasons that have kept the cowboys from progressing further
The Qb is the most important position on the field. If your QB puts up 12 points in a divisional round game, you are better off spenidng the money building other parts of the team and try to win like SF and Philly rather than KC.

starfan1

Reaction score
The Qb is the most important position on the field. If your QB puts up 12 points in a divisional round game, you are better off spenidng the money building other parts of the team and try to win like SF and Philly rather than KC.
I would agree if the QB is soley responsible. But unfortunately they are not. if that hasnt been evident for the last 20 years that dallas has failed to put a competent team then folks arent looking. Even KCs QB hasnt done it on his own. Now im certainly not comparing the 2 QBs but if the QB dont have time to throw , or the pockets pushed back , or penalties by the line negate gains or the defense craps the bed all of which has happened to this team in last 20 years so regardless who you pay its a team game.

Having said that Dak was primary reason last year just not the only one.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would agree if the QB is soley responsible. But unfortunately they are not. if that hasnt been evident for the last 20 years that dallas has failed to put a competent team then folks arent looking. Even KCs QB hasnt done it on his own. Now im certainly not comparing the 2 QBs but if the QB dont have time to throw , or the pockets pushed back , or penalties by the line negate gains or the defense craps the bed all of which has happened to this team in last 20 years so regardless who you pay its a team game.

Having said that Dak was primary reason last year just not the only one.
They are not "soley" responsible but they bear more responsibility than any other position. Dak has proven over a 7 year period that he can't get it done in the playoffs.

KC hasn't had to overcome poor QB play like Dallas did last year.

starfan1

Reaction score
They are not "soley" responsible but they bear more responsibility than any other position. Dak has proven over a 7 year period that he can't get it done in the playoffs.

KC hasn't had to overcome poor QB play like Dallas did last year.
according to you. The year when KCs line was hurt and bad they failed. Was Mahomes bad that year? certainly his numbers were worse but he was the same QB the other parts failed. In your 7 year example You literally have Nick Foles as a SB champion. Is he a stud or did he have a good team around him? Coaching also matters

then after Foles only 3 other QBs won the SB in that timeframe (Mahomes,Brady and Stafford).Stafford only acheived it when he went to a complete TEAM. So there are alot of QBs that by your standard hasnt got it done. Is it because they arent good enough or their team is not good enough? Football is a team game reliant on a alot of moving parts succeeding.

It dont matter how much more responsibility the QB may have if the other parts arent getting it done it impacts that position. Ill stop there though if youre a guy who belives the only reason we havent done better is because of dak then we are wasting bandwidth

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
according to you. The year when KCs line was hurt and bad they failed. Was Mahomes bad that year? certainly his numbers were worse but he was the same QB the other parts failed. In your 7 year example You literally have Nick Foles as a SB champion. Is he a stud or did he have a good team around him? Coaching also matters

then after Foles only 3 other QBs won the SB in that timeframe (Mahomes,Brady and Stafford).Stafford only acheived it when he went to a complete TEAM. So there are alot of QBs that by your standard hasnt got it done. Is it because they arent good enough or their team is not good enough? Football is a team game reliant on a alot of moving parts succeeding.

It dont matter how much more responsibility the QB may have if the other parts arent getting it done it impacts that position. Ill stop there though if youre a guy who belives the only reason we havent done better is because of dak then we are wasting bandwidth
I'm talking about 7 seasons of evidence. Kc won a super with Mahomes on a rookie deal and on a big contract. The fact is that some QBs can you can pay and still compete. Some you can't. Dak seems to be the latter situation.

You Dak apologists never quit defending your pet cat.

starfan1

Reaction score
I'm talking about 7 seasons of evidence. Kc won a super with Mahomes on a rookie deal and on a big contract. The fact is that some QBs can you can pay and still compete. Some you can't. Dak seems to be the latter situation.

You Dak apologists never quit defending your pet cat.
Its funny you use KC as the standard and not the exception. They have had the best coach, coordinator,TE , WR and QB for the better part of 5 years. Maybe us Dak apologist as you put it just happen to understand football a bit better than you critics . We can agree on 1 thing Dak needs to play better in playoffs

Even though he was probably only outplayed in 1 of the playoff games last year. In the others he was either the best qb on the field or went toe to toe with Rodgers and Wilson.

I also am not a Super Bowl or bust fan so I don’t get worked up with the losses like some on here do and pinpoint everything on the qb.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
When I hear or read, "... playbook is more QB friendly", I get the same feeling when I hear:

The check is in the mail, or

This won't hurt a bit, or

We've never had a problem with this model

Fundamentally, I get the sense that something is not quite right and I am being lied to. Why do I get the sense that McCarthy comment is a euphemism for dumbing down the playbook?