Mike McCarthy is making new playbook Dak inclusive and friendly

With Dak being given a big say about the new playbook, is that a good or bad idea?

• Good

Votes: 91 79.8%
  • Bad

Votes: 23 20.2%

• Total voters

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
We has too many "fans" who accentuate Dak's negatives and ignore the positives. MM just wants to maximize what Dak does best.
That's because evaluating the positives and trying to recreate them in situations of need (ie trailing the 49ers in hurry up offense needing a TD) just doesnt work. If there's an issue it has be addressed, not brushed under the table and ignored. Dak's negatives get 'accentuated' because he's got the ball in his hands, yes there's other factors, but they havent the direct effect that he does. This is the issue with fans who deflect the blame on everything bar Dak, and dismiss his part in the failure by saying "ok he's not elite".

MyFairLady

Reaction score
The problem is that the stuff Dak is good at and the stuff Dak wants to do are two different things.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The problem is that the stuff Dak is good at and the stuff Dak wants to do are two different things.
I do wonder if last year he tried to play up to the 'contract', whether that was self imposed or an organizational directive/desire I'm uncertain. This is the basis of the paying Dak top dollar debate (moving forward), whether that's a winning strategy if he can't step up without expensive weapons.
It'll be interesting how we approach this season.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I do wonder if last year he tried to play up to the 'contract', whether that was self imposed or an organizational directive/desire I'm uncertain. This is the basis of the paying Dak top dollar debate (moving forward), whether that's a winning strategy if he can't step up without expensive weapons.
It'll be interesting how we approach this season.
There is definitely an element of this at play. It is not just him trying to live up to it but the organization wanting him to be something more. The leg injury was a game changer also.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What a ray of sunshine we have here.

Geez, it's just football for crying out loud.
exactly, talk to some of these trolls who talk about everything, including their fathers not raising them right....than talk football. some can't even spell football

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The restructure earlier this year destroyed any of those hopes. They’re on the hook for 60M for Dak next season. There is only 1 way to go from here, it’s an extension. Whether we like it or not. The FO has backed themselves into a corner w Daks contract.
Good! Phew!

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Dude needs to play a reliable and efficient brand of football that leads to sustained post season success. Minimum an NFC championship game appearance. That is not a big ask. Almost all of the other big pay day QBs have accomplished that much or more.
There’s 53 players and about that many coaches in case you didn’t know. I guess Rogers sucks too since he didn’t make it to the NFC Championship game.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This all sounds good but this is fairly normal. Still big questions on how different the plays are. How effective is this new offense as defenses adjust to it. As teams begin to counter this offense does dak hold the ball longer, or run more, etc. It will be interesting to see

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Sarge said:
Sounds like they’re acknowledging his weaknesses. Makes sense I guess, but somehow concerning.
I'd rather that than the Cowboys not acknowledging it and go through the next few years just sticking their heads in the sand,
I'm with ya big dog. It'd be stupid to blindly call plays that the QB is clearly uncomfortable with. You have to tailor your offensive scheme to your offense's talent and ability. Anything else would be foolish.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I want a WIN friendly offense including more playoff wins.
So do I jazz, so do I. But as long as Dak is QB1, you need an offense that is Dak friendly, just like if QB X was our QB, we would need an offense that is QB X friendly. Nevertheless I agree, we DO need a WIN friendly offense. LOL

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Probably.

It is an effort to do exactly what the situation with Romo was.

There is a significant financial commitment and since the player is above par, they are going to max the situation out.

He had his flaws and the idea is to eliminate the decision making to a minimum.
From the sounds of it and comments like "the same plays but we have detailed the ish out of them," it seems more like they are trying to allow him to make informed decisions.

Moore seemed big on the how and what but nonexistent on the why. Now they are detailing the out of plays.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
From the sounds of it and comments like "the same plays but we have detailed the ish out of them," it seems more like they are trying to allow him to make informed decisions.

Moore seemed big on the how and what but nonexistent on the why. Now they are detailing the out of plays.
Noooo....we dont want Dak thinking, that's where the uncertainty arises when receivers dont get open and he thinks he has to make the play (whether it's there or not). To me he looks better as a quick one/two read and then checkdown, rely on our two best receivers YAC attributes.