Mike McCarthy was absolutely dreadful tonight

Jarntt

Reaction score
The NFL is now a thinking man's league. McCarthy just coaches like a dumb person. I've said since he got here he needs someone standing next to him to help him with time management. It wasn't just last night. It's literally every single game where it is pertinent. He just doesn't understand the math behind if and when to use timeouts. You save more time when you use a TO on defense when you are losing and when you are on offense and you have 46 seconds left and 2 timeouts left you need to USE ONE instead of wasting 18 seconds and being down to 28 seconds at midfield. We shouldn't even have been in the situation of the call or not call a TO with 8 seconds left and obviously there is no excuse how he handled that. You tell your QB to air mail it out of the end zone unless the guy is open by 5 yards if you are worried about a turnover or clock running out. That's just being scared, gutless and dumb and hurting your team.

snadler

Reaction score
His play calling was much better.

Everyone is mad about Gallup missing some passes. But forcing the ball to Gallup often is what opened up the rest of the offense.

McCarthy was brilliant this game, finally, when he needed to be. Putting in the extra work at the office seems to have paid off. I could totally see the difference. Finally, he was using motion.
I assume this is sarcasm, if it's not, it's a terrible take. The predictable 1st and 2nd down runs for zero, and the horrible clock management wasn't enough? if it wasn't for Dak's mobility they score 3 points last night. Dak was running for his life and it wasn't until plays broke down was when he was at his best, this had ZERO to do with MM

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He did? based on what? stupid penatlies is an indictment on the coach..if you don't understand that, you can't understand a lot about football
Well tell that to yourself as well. A coach can have a team prepared. Then the wheels fall off. We seen it happen all the time. And is it not also the position coaches responsible to prepare them for not having penalties. Then game time happens. The coaches ARE NOT out executing the plays. What is so hard to understand that.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
This coach is worse than red with clock management. He will cost us eventually. And we were just talking about the gnats coach Sunday night.

snadler

Reaction score
Back to back 12 wins seasons. And 4-2 now, more success that Garraey had. And fans want him gone and complain over a few mismanaged clock things, in over 3 years of coaching. Which are really only subjective to some fans.
He did the right thing in a close defensive game. Yes defensive games do happen regardless if an offense is good or not.

He was praised by some analysts for his clock management on the game winning FG drive. They took the ball with what, 6 or 7 minutes left. Went down field using up the clock and forcing LAC to use up their TO's. Left them what, a little over 2 minutes left. I thought it was brilliant.
This team has continued to win despite him, and imo has underperformed based on talent on roster, when the games get bigger his stupidity and horribleness rise to the top, as to why they have lost in the playoffs. This team is not going anywhere with this coach, and winning a wild card isn't going anywhere.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This team has continued to win despite him, and imo has underperformed based on talent on roster, when the games get bigger his stupidity and horribleness rise to the top, as to why they have lost in the playoffs. This team is not going anywhere with this coach, and winning a wild card isn't going anywhere.
Well, I see you just don't like him, and will always complain no matter what.
I am not all in on MM, but h is not as bad as many say. Not wasting my time on this.

snadler

Reaction score
Well tell that to yourself as well. A coach can have a team prepared. Then the wheels fall off. We seen it happen all the time. And is it not also the position coaches responsible to prepare them for not having penalties. Then game time happens. The coaches ARE NOT out executing the plays. What is so hard to understand that.
I under zero circumstance especially THIS season with him being wrongfully promoted instead of being fired can I say man MM really outcoached this guy, or man that was a brilliant play call, or man this team was so prepared to play, or man this team has really become more disciplined. It's getting worse, he is 100% not the answer at coach. I don't want to come on here yet again when this season ends in depressing fashion to tell you I told you so, but unfortunately I will

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
His playcalling, his horrific clock management! Dak and this defense bailed him out.

He is severely outdated and it shows
I think the game has passed him by.
His positives are starting to get over shadowed by his negatives.
Of course , Jerry will not hire the kind of HC this team needs.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I under zero circumstance especially THIS season with him being wrongfully promoted instead of being fired can I say man MM really outcoached this guy, or man that was a brilliant play call, or man this team was so prepared to play, or man this team has really become more disciplined. It's getting worse, he is 100% not the answer at coach. I don't want to come on here yet again when this season ends in depressing fashion to tell you I told you so, but unfortunately I will
I will be waiting.

Roland

Reaction score
They should have put Leupke in to try it.
However, in the past, Dak has had much success on the QB sneaks. The issue there was, they showed what they were going to do, and LAC was prepared. Line up in a normal formation, it very well could have turned out different.

Yeah take the points. I think MM learned from that in this type of game, and took the points later on. Which turned out to be the winning points.
Agreed, Would not have minded at all seeing Luepke try. He has some push if/when he keep his feet. I was concerned in the preseason as he seemed to loss his footing, balance and trip over himself and fall down quite a bit. But i think he was just pressing to much early on. Normal formation, with him going b/w guard/tackle or off tackle and probable a better chance of success.

snadler

Reaction score
I will be waiting.
so the previous two playoff failures haven't shown you enough? he should have been fired after the SF loss two years ago with the horrible clock management and the undisciplined penalties, and here we are two years later and it's even worse..what makes you think this time will be different other than hope and prayers it will be different. You have hope, I have past history to back it up

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Back to back 12 wins seasons. And 4-2 now, more success that Garraey had. And fans want him gone and complain over a few mismanaged clock things, in over 3 years of coaching. Which are really only subjective to some fans.
He did the right thing in a close defensive game. Yes defensive games do happen regardless if an offense is good or not.

He was praised by some analysts for his clock management on the game winning FG drive. They took the ball with what, 6 or 7 minutes left. Went down field using up the clock and forcing LAC to use up their TO's. Left them what, a little over 2 minutes left. I thought it was brilliant.
In no particular order ...

Anyone is better than JG, no argument.

However, you could have also put almost anyone other than JG & a handful of other complete frauds at the helm the last two years and gotten similar results.

Has he cleaned up any penalties?

What about end of first half? Was that brilliant? Continuing to run the same ineffective play on first down?

Are you saying that counting on an offense that had been mostly inept all night to bleed the clock was brilliant strategy? Or just lucky that we made a few plays & LAC helped us out some? I vote the latter.

He's in his 5th year now, right? It's not premature to say that I keep seeing the same mistakes and they aren't subjective.

snadler

Reaction score
Things you look for in a good head coach, consistency and awareness, MM fails in both situations. Last night is the perfect example, 4th and 1, they go for it, again I was ok with the result even though the execution was awful, but then at the end of the half takes the 3 instead of taking a shot in the endzone with 8 seconds left, where is the consistency? is he a risk taker or is he conservative, you can't be both. Be consistent!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
so the previous two playoff failures haven't shown you enough? he should have been fired after the SF loss two years ago with the horrible clock management and the undisciplined penalties, and here we are two years later and it's even worse..what makes you think this time will be different other than hope and prayers it will be different. You have hope, I have past history to back it up
I never said anything about hope. Stop making things up.
Last two years are history. This is a new year, and a long way to go.
You just want to argue and complain...go ahead....you will not change my mind, and I am not trying to change yours. It is on the players executing more than on, the coaches saying....don't do this penalty....

Creeper

Reaction score
On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being best and 1 being worst, Jason Garret was a 3. Mike McCarthy is a 5. I have never felt differently about McCarthy. He is only slightly better than Garrett as a game manager, but he seems to be a little better leader than Garrett. But regardless, McCarthy is a 5 at best. We can to better, but Jerry does not look for the best coaches, he looks for the ones who will bend the knee.

leicafan

Reaction score
Is it the run blocking, or the scheme and plays called or a combo of all 3. Our run game has underperformed all season
I think the offense line is not in it best shape yet. They still need to work together more to be efficient.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being best and 1 being worst, Jason Garret was a 3. Mike McCarthy is a 5. I have never felt differently about McCarthy. He is only slightly better than Garrett as a game manager, but he seems to be a little better leader than Garrett. But regardless, McCarthy is a 5 at best. We can to better, but Jerry does not look for the best coaches, he looks for the ones who will bend the knee.
Garrett was a -3. MM might be 4. Probably 3.5.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In no particular order ...

Anyone is better than JG, no argument.

However, you could have also put almost anyone other than JG & a handful of other complete frauds at the helm the last two years and gotten similar results.

Has he cleaned up any penalties?

What about end of first half? Was that brilliant? Continuing to run the same ineffective play on first down?

Are you saying that counting on an offense that had been mostly inept all night to bleed the clock was brilliant strategy? Or just lucky that we made a few plays & LAC helped us out some? I vote the latter.

He's in his 5th year now, right? It's not premature to say that I keep seeing the same mistakes and they aren't subjective.
4th year.

Roland

Reaction score
I’m not supporting the coach but out of curiosity which one of these midgets you gonna have try and win a jump ball lol
Would have like to seen one attempt with motion of Ceedee or Brooks to create some seperation. One goes to the front of the end zone pylon and the other to the back of the endzone pylon. If Dak doesn't like what he see, throw it out of the endzone. Surely that can can be run within the 8 second time span.