Mike McCarthy was absolutely dreadful tonight

Brooksey

Reaction score
His playcalling, his horrific clock management! Dak and this defense bailed him out.

He is severely outdated and it shows
McCarthy was fine dumb thread...at the end of the first half he was playing for a FG, he didn't want Dak to force one in the endzone.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually MM played it well. You need to understand football. It is a game to to game .... game ....understand your opponent and the situation.
Jeff Saturday even said this on Get Up show.

MM realized that this is not going to be a shootout. So he took the points at the end of the half. Though he did not take them earlier in the game. But that was early, he did not know it was going to be more of a defensive game. But he had confidence in his defense.

As Jeff said, if it was a team he thought would score a lot of points on them, the maybe he uses those TO's to get another play in.
Another show, GMFB I think it was, said MM had great clock management in the 2nd half to go get that go ahead FG.

Many fans thing they know clock management better than to actually do. As well, coaches have 25 things to thinks about in the heat of the game. As we fans sit and watch from our couches, recliner, bed, bar stool or standing, having a beverage of your choice. Some tend to overthink things all too often. And are often wrong.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I just wish the coaching staff would teach the players the rules of the game - or, perhaps, learn the rules themselves. Would've saved the team half-a-field of penalties tonight.
Most of the penalties were on the defense this game. Kearse is clearly our enforcer but that’s 2 games in a row where he gets us a huge penalty early in the game. Love the physicality but he has to clean up the unsportsmanlike, face mask and unnecessary roughness calls.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey I got a great idea for an opening drive. Hear me out…….. run up the middle on first and second , and then throw on 3rd and long. Am I OC material???

CCBoy

Reaction score
Actually MM played it well. You need to understand football. It is a game to to game .... game ....understand your opponent and the situation.

MM realized that this is not going to be a shootout. So he took the points at the end of the half. Though he did not take them earlier in the game. But that was early, he did not know it was going to be more of a defensive game. But he had confidence in his defense.

As Jeff said, if it was a team he thought would score a lot of points on them, the maybe he uses those TO's to get another play in.
Another show, GMFB I think it was, said MM had great clock management in the 2nd half to go get that go ahead FG.

Many fans thing they know clock management better than to actually do. As well, coaches have 25 things to thinks about in the heat of the game. As we fans sit and watch from our couches, recliner, bed, bar stool or standing, having a beverage of your choice. Some tend to overthink things all too often. And are often wrong.
Lol, fan insights aren't particularly on target.

The bull in the china closet could be reduced, as seen, to be...

The offensive line is healthy. The WR room is healthy and the deepest its been in years. And yet, Dak Prescott, CeeDee Lamb, Brandin Cooks and Tony Pollard are all on pace for their worst statistical seasons. Stats don't always tell the full story, but the proof is in the pudding in this case because the offense isn't producing.

McCarthy will ultimately be judged on how Dallas performs on the field. When head coaches start getting in trouble, though, is when the on-field performance doesn't meet expectations and they make things worse behind the microphone.

https://thelandryhat.com/posts/cowb...hating-ex-safety-extremely-salty-01hcd0brg5b0

Roland

Reaction score
If you did not see how bad the run blocking is, I don't know how you can put the blame on MM.
Is it the run blocking, or the scheme and plays called or a combo of all 3. Our run game has underperformed all season

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
That decision to take a fg and not a timeout to try for 6, is loser mentality. The lack of discipline and stupid penalties alone is fireable.
No, you want Dak to have to make a throw for a td in that situation? After all the bashing people do about Dak's ints?

It was obvious this was a defensive game, and one where neither team was going to light up the scoreboard.

I have no problem with the decision, it worked in this case...

Roland

Reaction score
Yeah I don't fathom what he was thinking there. Potentially left 4 points on the field.
I also feel we should have taken the field goal ealrier (think it was just before half.) That makes 7 points left on the field.

Roland

Reaction score
Aikman is literally on TV scratching his head at the decisions Dak is making and yall still want to blame McCarthy lol.
I think there is enough blame to go around. Dak missed some throws and some open receivers. He has a tendency to throw high quite a bit, especially if he is trying to throw it fast. That pass to pollard was a td if he has better placement. Another missed td pass (Gallup I believe). that pass was about 1 foot overthrown, course I also think Gallup could maybe have laid out and made a better attempt at a td pass. But you cant let MM calls of the hook either. Run calls were pathetic. No misdirection, no creativity. Up the gut over and over. Best run play called was around the end. Where is the down hill off tackle play. Pollard was very good at that play, havent seen it. If Dak doesn use his legs to get out of the pocket and improvise, we lose that game last night. But jeez louiz, once you get outside, throw the ball away if nothing is there. Yeah, plenty of blame to spread around

Roland

Reaction score

Fair points on the game to game, opponent/situation. However, I didn't like the 4th down tush push call. I am not against being agressive, but at that time, game was still tied 7/7 i believe. Take the 3 points and get the lead. If you are going to go for it, come up with something better than that! Go behind TnT or Steel/Martin. Not up the gut that is our weakest point (center), If you take that field goal then perhaps you would be more willing to at least take one shot at the end zone with that 8 seconds before settling for the field goal to end the half. You are so right on your last line thou.! From my couch, eating my chips and drinking my beer, my fat but would have done yada yada yada. Lol, quit bring logic and level headed responses to this forum (I dont think it is allowed).

snadler

Reaction score
I can't believe I'm seeing people defend MM, I mean this was and has been one of he worst coaching jobs in Boys history. The lack of discipline and the stupidity is a huge coaching blunder, his terribly old boring offense is not working, and his time management is and has always been utter disaster. Regardless of wins or losses, this team if they win a super bowl(extremely unlikely) will be in spite of him, and yet if/when they lose in the playoffs will be in large part due to him like the previous two seasons

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fair points on the game to game, opponent/situation. However, I didn't like the 4th down tush push call. I am not against being agressive, but at that time, game was still tied 7/7 i believe. Take the 3 points and get the lead. If you are going to go for it, come up with something better than that! Go behind TnT or Steel/Martin. Not up the gut that is our weakest point (center), If you take that field goal then perhaps you would be more willing to at least take one shot at the end zone with that 8 seconds before settling for the field goal to end the half. You are so right on your last line thou.! From my couch, eating my chips and drinking my beer, my fat but would have done yada yada yada. Lol, quit bring logic and level headed responses to this forum (I dont think it is allowed).
They should have put Leupke in to try it.
However, in the past, Dak has had much success on the QB sneaks. The issue there was, they showed what they were going to do, and LAC was prepared. Line up in a normal formation, it very well could have turned out different.

Yeah take the points. I think MM learned from that in this type of game, and took the points later on. Which turned out to be the winning points.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't believe I'm seeing people defend MM, I mean this was and has been one of he worst coaching jobs in Boys history. The lack of discipline and the stupidity is a huge coaching blunder, his terribly old boring offense is not working, and his time management is and has always been utter disaster. Regardless of wins or losses, this team if they win a super bowl(extremely unlikely) will be in spite of him, and yet if/when they lose in the playoffs will be in large part due to him like the previous two seasons
MM had them prepared. He is not the one on the field making stupid penalties and decisions.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
His play calling was much better.

Everyone is mad about Gallup missing some passes. But forcing the ball to Gallup often is what opened up the rest of the offense.

McCarthy was brilliant this game, finally, when he needed to be. Putting in the extra work at the office seems to have paid off. I could totally see the difference. Finally, he was using motion.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The lack of discipline, the horrible play calling, horrible clock management etc. Despite winning tonight his coaching will rear it’s ugly head in big games
How many times have we heard him talking about cleaning up the penalties? his bad clock mgmt. & in game decisions have been consistent since he arrived.

I'm not saying a coaching change will matter given this organizations other issues, but when someone keeps making the same mistakes over & over how can you keep them around and claim you trying to win?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How many times have we heard him talking about cleaning up the penalties? his bad clock mgmt. & in game decisions have been consistent since he arrived.

I'm not saying a coaching change will matter given this organizations other issues, but when someone keeps making the same mistakes over & over how can you keep them around and claim you trying to win?
Back to back 12 wins seasons. And 4-2 now, more success that Garraey had. And fans want him gone and complain over a few mismanaged clock things, in over 3 years of coaching. Which are really only subjective to some fans.
He did the right thing in a close defensive game. Yes defensive games do happen regardless if an offense is good or not.

He was praised by some analysts for his clock management on the game winning FG drive. They took the ball with what, 6 or 7 minutes left. Went down field using up the clock and forcing LAC to use up their TO's. Left them what, a little over 2 minutes left. I thought it was brilliant.

snadler

Reaction score
MM had them prepared. He is not the one on the field making stupid penalties and decisions.
He did? based on what? stupid penatlies is an indictment on the coach..if you don't understand that, you can't understand a lot about football