Twitter: Mike Nolan one to look for as DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Granted, I haven’t taken more than a cursory look, but Nolan’s resume is bit strange:

6972-EBA0-0368-40-EB-9398-E10-BEA886-AA1.jpg

You go from DC (w/Ravens) to head coach (w/49ers).....you then get ousted and go back to a number of unsuccessful gigs as DC, and then another step back to being a positions coach.

Spurdog

Reaction score
Granted, I haven’t taken more than a cursory look, but Nolan’s resume is bit strange:

6972-EBA0-0368-40-EB-9398-E10-BEA886-AA1.jpg

You go from DC (w/Ravens) to head coach (w/49ers).....you then get ousted and go back to a number of unsuccessful gigs as DC, and then another step back to being a positions coach.

No, it's actually exactly the way it goes when you have been unsuccessful as a HBC. Did you look at Marinelli's resume when he went O-fer in Detroit? Everybody ain't HC material but they sure as hell can coach'em up in other areas. Falcons hired a new coach in 2015 didn't they. So of course he would be out for the most part and SD and NO already had DC's. Mike Nolan is much better for us than say............oh............DC.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
All I remember about Nolan in SF is that he was one of the coaches who liked to dress up like Tom Landry minus the hat.

920x920.jpg

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
All I remember about Nolan in SF is that he was one of the coaches who liked to dress up like Tom Landry minus the hat.

920x920.jpg
He did that to honor his deceased father, who worked for Landry at one point.

Reebok sure as hell didn't like it though.

Reactions: JPM

Sydla

Reaction score
job titles seem to work everywhere else.

How jacked up is this team when people don’t know who the DC is? Or was.

Oh no doubt, it was a screwed up set up. That's not the point.

The point is you constantly want to give Richard a pass for any of the defensive shortcomings and yet Richard had a HEAVY influence on the defense. The pass D schemes were all his for LBs and DBs. He also called the defensive plays.

So when he has all that responsibility, it's hard to sit there and give him a pass and blame it all on Marinelli. Both, frankly, need to go and it looks like they are.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
So what kind of DC is Nolan?
Aggressive? Does he mask coverages? Is he a BBDB kinda guy?

sdfidaho

Reaction score
I've never known Nolan to be a 4-3 scheme guy, and I think it's so key to stay in this vs totally re-routing and going thru years of adjustment for this defense.
I think it's very important to hit the ground running with minimum adjustment period with the current scheme, imo.

I don’t know.
Seems like we’re only a true 1T (which most have been clamoring for for years) away from having most of the defensive personnel needed to run a 3-4

Status
Not open for further replies.