Twitter: Mike Nolan one to look for as DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

quickccc

Reaction score
I think they will hit the ground running with a 3-4. Lee has played in a 3-4, I'm guessing they bring him back. Vander, Jaylon can be the ILB and nickel LBers. 7 defensive linemen contract expired this year, 5 lbers.. In a way I think Jerry knew what he wanted to do 2 years ago when GB let go of McCarthy.

- As of right now, we don't have the personnel for the 3-4 guys upfront. We would need three new difference makers upfront, imo.
A burly difference- making NT, ..ditto with quality 2 gap 3-4 ends, which we also don't have.

- Dlaw and Quinn (should they decide to re-sign him) would immediately have to be the two 3-4 OLBs.
though Quinn struggled with that role in Miami, even as a pass rusher with that scheme.
* Woods was just average JAG as a starting 1 tech playing a one gap, that's not gonna happen with him as a NT. and he doesn't have rush skills for a 3-4 end.
* Crawford at 280, might actually fit the role best, as he was actually drafted to be a 3-4 end. Per Phillips/Rob Ryan era.
So we have to compile starters and depth guys- particularly upfront that specializes in that role and scheme.
Crawford also has some experience but who knows if he's a cap casualty consideration in 2020.Me ? I still don't want to depend upon Crawford, so we would have to accumulate
the personnel bodies upfront to immediately compete for the scheme.

- and you're right, .. Sean Lee has experience in the 3-4 scheme. LVE nor Jaylon have played in a 3-4 scheme yet in their NFL career so that will be a adjustment period,
but while Lee has experience at the 3-4 scheme from his Wade Phillips-Rob Ryan days, but he cannot play extensive starting role inside as a full time middle LB at this stage of his career,
As a limited snap strong side LB, it helped greatly not taking as many reps and pounding to his body-I think that extended his durability out surprisingly well, but i don't see that
near happening if he has to start full time inside. Maybe his role will be as a backup instead at the least ?

- If Nolan is the hire for DC, that's indication that we will be reverting to the 3-4 scheme, as I've never recalled Nolan operating in a 4-3 scheme -didn't Nolan run a 3-4 in
Atlanta as well when he was DC there ?
I think McCarthy prefers a DC that will operate the 3-4 scheme as he felt more preferred and comfortable with that scheme when he was HC in Green Bay.

conner01

Reaction score
highly doubt it sadly
Just looking at right now it looks like there will be quality at CB and safety
While we need Dline we also need DB’s with all the guys we have being short or out of contract

FloridaRob

Reaction score
expect joe philbin and frank Cignetti to be on your offensive staff

quickccc

Reaction score
expect joe philbin and frank Cignetti to be on your offensive staff

if those guys are on that staff, then where does that place Jon Kitna and Kellen Moore ?
I haven't heard yet what Kitna's status would be as of yet.
and if it becomes to be, I would think Phillbin (who replaced McCarthy as interim HC) replaces Kitna if not Kellen, should he come aboard.

quickccc

Reaction score
Why not Marvin Lewis as DC? Makes more sense to me.

and Lewis has experience with both 4-3 and 3-4 (just one year at that with Baltimore)
but Nolan put in excellent years in the 3-4 scheme with Baltimore. and I really believe McCarthy prefers that scheme as what they ran in GB
and he wants the best, most qualified DC that operates most in that 3-4 scheme, imo.

RamziD

Reaction score
2009-11 (DEN/MIA): 7th, 6th, 15th ranked DEF
2012-14 (ATL): 24th, 27th, 32nd ranked DEF

What happened in ATL?

He was LB coach for NO and they had a good LB unit.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
if those guys are on that staff, then where does that place Jon Kitna and Kellen Moore ?
I haven't heard yet what Kitna's status would be as of yet.
and if it becomes to be, I would think Phillbin (who replaced McCarthy as interim HC) replaces Kitna if not Kellen, should he come aboard.
Philbin could be offensive line coach-not sure what cignetti would do. Carry MMs cofffee or give him his daily masssage.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I think D law with his run stopping ability would make a great 5T. Quinn can probably play 3-4 olb. Could even move Jaylon to olb in certain looks with his ability to rush the passer

Sydla

Reaction score
hire Nolan. He’s worse than Marinelli.

I am not advocating for Nolan.

But I am laughing at your continual denial that Richard was a big factor in our defense being mediocre this year. You love to throw it all on Marinelli, when in fact, it was Richard who was calling plays for the defense. You've been told this multiple times by multiple people. People have linked articles. And yet because you have some bizarre fetish for Kris Richard, you ignore all evidence that undermines your points.

It's weird, frankly.

Status
Not open for further replies.