Twitter: Mike Peirera believes Cruz TD catch was incomplete

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, the replay officials in the Dallas game botched it. The rule is still the same as evidenced by CJs TD being overturned and the league confirming today that Cruz's TD should have been ruled incomplete.

The guy said the rule should be changed to allow coaches to challenge, not about the validity of the catch. All scoring plays are reviewed, so no need for coaches to challenge.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I really see a huge bias in the refs when we play the New York teams.

Remember 9/11/11 vs the Jets? That Rex Ryan disciplined well oiled machine committed zero penalties.

I think Dallas got some good calls in the game. Where was the 15 yarder when Church threw the ball up into the stands after the TD? There was not flag. I saw a couple of other plays where Dallas could have been flagged and they were not.

Refs do not care who wins games, they will blow calls they are human just as players make mistakes and coaches make mistakes so do refs. Even replay at times is not conclusive which shows how close the plays are. They do the best they can.

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
well at least he can admit he was wrong, his initial explanation as to why it WAS a TD was asinine

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
I was screaming about that one when it happened. Couldn't believe it didn't get a more thorough review.

THIS. and the coach can't challenge it since it was a scoring play.. there didn't seem to be any scrutiny put on that play. it was almost as if it was just another clear cut, every day touchdown.

what's more frustrating is that there seems to be no accountability for these egregious blown calls on scoring reviews as they keep occurring

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I think Dallas got some good calls in the game. Where was the 15 yarder when Church threw the ball up into the stands after the TD? There was not flag. I saw a couple of other plays where Dallas could have been flagged and they were not.

Refs do not care who wins games, they will blow calls they are human just as players make mistakes and coaches make mistakes so do refs. Even replay at times is not conclusive which shows how close the plays are. They do the best they can.

I have a suspicion that Goddell quietly advised the refs to relax on the new celebration rule and the rule about leading with the crown of the helmet, due to some of the backlash from the media fans. Now, if the Vegas line gets to close you may see some of these calls in tight games, lol.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have a suspicion that Goddell quietly advised the refs to relax on the new celebration rule and the rule about leading with the crown of the helmet, due to some of the backlash from the media fans. Now, if the Vegas line gets to close you may see some of these calls in tight games, lol.

Throwing the ball into the stands came in before Goodell. All I'm saying is the Refs are not out to get us. No doubt there will be bad calls from the refs but it is not done to favor anyone it is a human error. Frankly if fans want to blame someone blame the rules committee for creating so many rules and new rules every year. They put the burden on the refs to make judgment calls

erod

Reaction score
While they should have ruled it incomplete by rule, I'm sorry, that was a catch. It should be. It's a stupid rule.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What happened on the Victor Cruz 70-yard TD? 'Veteran quarterback, veteran receiver' caught Cowboys not being ready

When the Cowboys got burned for a 70-yard touchdown by Victor Cruz on Sunday night, it was as a result of not being ready at the snap.

“That was a hurry-up situation. We didn’t get lined up right,” defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin said after the game. “And the call came in just a little bit late. And it was just, they went to the line really, really quick. And we just need to practice that more.”

“Veteran quarterback, a veteran receiver, and throw the ball deep,” said cornerback Brandon Carr. “The rest is history. He’s in the end zone. That’s one of those plays I wish we could have back.”

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...ceiver-caught-cowboys-not-.html#storylink=cpy

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Are we sure throwing the ball into the stands is a 15 yard penalty? It happens every week and I don't recall ever seeing a flag thrown. I remember a few years ago they started making the players pay for the balls and they charge them like $250 or was it $2500. I recall it being much more than you would think a ball would cost.

links18

Reaction score
these zebras are screwing up something every week.

Just like cops, lawyers and judges do. The rules are so complex and require so much judgement that there are bound to be errors and inconsistencies.

CowboyDiver

Reaction score
Are we sure throwing the ball into the stands is a 15 yard penalty? It happens every week and I don't recall ever seeing a flag thrown. I remember a few years ago they started making the players pay for the balls and they charge them like $250 or was it $2500. I recall it being much more than you would think a ball would cost.

Someone posted it was like 10k for throwing it due to the risk of injury.

You are allowed to hand it to fans in the front row but probably still get fined.

And I don't recall there being a penalty for it.

whynot

Reaction score
Two years ago, before the rule change, Garrett could have challenged the play and the ref would have no choice but to go under the hood. Nowadays, it's supposedly automatically reviewed upstairs and the league admits after the fact that it screwed up. The whole point of the challenge system is to allow a team to disagree with the ref and have their call scrutinised. That is no longer allowed on scoring plays because "automatic review" places the refs above scrutiny.

I think that unless the head ref goes under the hood, the coach should be allowed to challenge any play, automatic review or not.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Finally someone validates my complain

Refs do not care who wins games, they will blow calls they are human just as players make mistakes and coaches make mistakes so do refs. Even replay at times is not conclusive which shows how close the plays are. They do the best they can

No. You're wrong.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
T
Throwing the ball into the stands came in before Goodell. All I'm saying is the Refs are not out to get us. No doubt there will be bad calls from the refs but it is not done to favor anyone it is a human error. Frankly if fans want to blame someone blame the rules committee for creating so many rules and new rules every year. They put the burden on the refs to make judgment calls
here

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score

There are many many documented plays on this and other sites showing very poorly called plays. So far this year: the hold on Scandrick wasn't close. At least one other on Ware. Pi against Dez.
Zero holds called on the Giants. I could probably think of more, but that is plenty of examples. Now you point to Chrurch throwing the ball into the stands. Seems to me that may or may not be one. Reguardless the result wouldn't have been 6 points like on the Cruz play.

links18

Reaction score
Two years ago, before the rule change, Garrett could have challenged the play and the ref would have no choice but to go under the hood. Nowadays, it's supposedly automatically reviewed upstairs and the league admits after the fact that it screwed up. The whole point of the challenge system is to allow a team to disagree with the ref and have their call scrutinised. That is no longer allowed on scoring plays because "automatic review" places the refs above scrutiny.

I think that unless the head ref goes under the hood, the coach should be allowed to challenge any play, automatic review or not.

The media presents it as all scoring plays (and turnovers) are "automatically reviewed," but is that really the case or do the officials in the booth just make a preliminary decision about whether or not the play should be reviewed by the head ref under the hood? Nobody went under the hood on Cruz's TD. I agree the old system had an adversarial aspect to it, now it just seems like a deus ex machina that gives the false impression that the play survived a review. The refs in the booth are nameless and faceless.

conner01

Reaction score

there is no penalty for throwing the ball in the stands after a score. there is a fine. now if you threw the ball in the stands after a completed pass in the field of play there would be a penalty, but not after a td