Twitter: Mike Peirera believes Cruz TD catch was incomplete

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There are many many documented plays on this and other sites showing very poorly called plays. So far this year: the hold on Scandrick wasn't close. At least one other on Ware. Pi against Dez.
Zero holds called on the Giants. I could probably think of more, but that is plenty of examples. Now you point to Chrurch throwing the ball into the stands. Seems to me that may or may not be one. Reguardless the result wouldn't have been 6 points like on the Cruz play.

So the refs are out to get us? LOL Dallas had 5 penalties Giants 6 sorry but this notion that the refs are somehow out to get the Cowboys or they give a damn about who wins or loses is BS. I'm sure we have hyper paranoid fans they come here every week claiming how they are out to get us.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
every scoring play gets reviewed

I just read a report that it's only reviewed if the replay assistant in the booth buzzes to the officials on the field to get them to review the play. They didn't. So in this case, there was no review.

links18

Reaction score
I just read a report that it's only reviewed if the replay assistant in the booth buzzes to the officials on the field to get them to review the play. They didn't. So in this case, there was no review.

But aren't the replay officials in effect, then, "reviewing the play"? This system seems like a step backwards to me.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Eh. They screwed up apparently. It happens. I am sure they will again later and it might cost Dallas a game. When that happens I'll be a lot more angry about it.

Today I can't really find the reason to worry, get upset, or care about a missed call in a game that Dallas won.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But aren't the replay officials in effect, then, "reviewing the play"? This system seems like a step backwards to me.

They review, but only to determine whether the field officials need to review. The field officials still performs the official review. I'm not sure, but I would guess that field officials have the right to review regardless of whether the replay asst buzzes them.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Was in a bar and a guy argued that it was incomplete bit we all said it was complete and that he's wrong. Looks like I owe him an apology on Sunday.

iceman117

Reaction score

I thought they changed the rule that every single scoring play and turnover gets reviewed, plus every announcer keeps saying it multiple times every game I watched on Sunday (Thursday and Monday,lol) I didn't know there was a stipulation like that involved....

Do you remember what down it was on the Cruz play in question?

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I thought they changed the rule that every single scoring play and turnover gets reviewed, plus every announcer keeps saying it multiple times every game I watched on Sunday (Thursday and Monday,lol) I didn't know there was a stipulation like that involved....

They do get reviewed but by a replay official up in the booth. If they see something questionable, they buzz down for the officials on the field to go review it. If they see nothing, they confirm the call on the field. In this case they simply blew it.

blindzebra

Reaction score

3rd and 10

cowboys2233

Reaction score

Sadly, it wasn't a case of a missed call because they didn't see it. It was a missed call because they didn't understand the rule. It was obvious the ball bounced out after he hit the ground, they simply failed to recognize that under the league's rules, it should been called incomplete. Same thing with the Green Bay-49er fiasco. The regular refs didn't understand the rules.

So much energy was spent on trashing the replacement refs last year but here you have regular refs blowing calls because they are not aware of the rules of the game. Pathetic.

arglebargle

Reaction score
Are the replay officials permanent full time NFL employees, or second job part timers like the field officials? Anyone know if they are reviewed and kept or fired based on their performance? What's the accountability like for them?

bsheeern

Reaction score
Why all scoring plays are reviewed, coaches do not have to risk losing a timeout on the challenge since all scores are automatically reviewed.

Because they're only reviewed upstairs and not necessarily by the officials on the field. Where is if a coach challenges the play it stops the gameplay and doesn't allow the team that potentially scored the touchdown to rush on the field and Attempt the extra point. Which is what we obviously see happen not just on touchdowns but on any play that Could be possibly overturned.

What I feel would be the best thing is that even after the extra point the officials should still be allowed to review the play and if it is deemed not a touchdown then obviously the extra point doesn't count. No Time comes off the clock on extra point anyway so you wouldn't have to adjust the clock you just simply wouldn't count the extra play.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Looked good to me. Caught it, made a second move to the endzone and the ball broke the goal line.

I thinks there are far too many technicalities in the rules anymore and far too much reviewing in general.

The review of every turnover and score basically leaves no room for coaches to challenge. It's dumb and slows the game.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Because they're only reviewed upstairs and not necessarily by the officials on the field. Where is if a coach challenges the play it stops the gameplay and doesn't allow the team that potentially scored the touchdown to rush on the field and Attempt the extra point. Which is what we obviously see happen not just on touchdowns but on any play that Could be possibly overturned.

What I feel would be the best thing is that even after the extra point the officials should still be allowed to review the play and if it is deemed not a touchdown then obviously the extra point doesn't count. No Time comes off the clock on extra point anyway so you wouldn't have to adjust the clock you just simply wouldn't count the extra play.

If they see that it is a blow call they buzz the offical on the field, they did not feel it was a bad call. Not saying they did not blow it but NFL rules say all scoring plays are reviewed.

bsheeern

Reaction score
What happened on the Victor Cruz 70-yard TD? 'Veteran quarterback, veteran receiver' caught Cowboys not being ready

When the Cowboys got burned for a 70-yard touchdown by Victor Cruz on Sunday night, it was as a result of not being ready at the snap.

“That was a hurry-up situation. We didn’t get lined up right,” defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin said after the game. “And the call came in just a little bit late. And it was just, they went to the line really, really quick. And we just need to practice that more.”

“Veteran quarterback, a veteran receiver, and throw the ball deep,” said cornerback Brandon Carr. “The rest is history. He’s in the end zone. That’s one of those plays I wish we could have back.”

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...ceiver-caught-cowboys-not-.html#storylink=cpy
I was immediately outraged that the refs came in spotted the ball subsequently signaled first down without a measurement. It was a third-down play and it didn't even look like the running back made it to the line of scrimmage much less gained any yardage.

You could clearly see our players were expecting the refs to measure for the first down & Signaling to the other players and sideline to call a play.

Deep_South

Reaction score
Looked good to me. Caught it, made a second move to the endzone and the ball broke the goal line.

I thinks there are far too many technicalities in the rules anymore and far too much reviewing in general.

The review of every turnover and score basically leaves no room for coaches to challenge. It's dumb and slows the game.

Agree. It looked like a touchdown to me, and I think if a player has the ball and breaks the plane of the goal line with the ball, it should be a touchdown. Seems like that is the way it used to be before they came up with rules that even the officials don't understand.