Twitter: Mike Peirera believes Cruz TD catch was incomplete

bsheeern

Reaction score
If they see that it is a blow call they buzz the offical on the field, they did not feel it was a bad call. Not saying they did not blow it but NFL rules say all scoring plays are reviewed.
Sure all scoring plays are reviewed but that doesn't mean the officials upstairs were given enough time to review the play from every angle.

If the team that scores Or has any inclination that a play might be challenged or reversed runs onto the field and kicks the extra point within 7-10 seconds there's no way the officiating crew upstairs had adequate time to review the play.

They shouldn't buzz the officials if they feel like it was a bad or blown call. They should buzz the officials if there is any doubt in their mind that the outcome of the play could be different.

blindzebra

Reaction score
The issue with the play is they are confusing two different rules.

To complete a pass the receiver needs to control the ball after hitting the turf.

To score a TD the runner needs to have control until the ball breaks the plain.

It has that whole football move element. I am guessing they thought Cruz landed, twisted and stretched out...a football move...trouble is he never got his second foot down, the hit changed his body position and the reaching out was as much breaking his fall as anything.

They need to replace a football move with a step, IMO.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Looked good to me. Caught it, made a second move to the endzone and the ball broke the goal line.

I thinks there are far too many technicalities in the rules anymore and far too much reviewing in general.

The review of every turnover and score basically leaves no room for coaches to challenge. It's dumb and slows the game.

Second move? He didn't get his 2nd foot down until he was almost on the ground, right before the ball came out...there's no possibility for a 2nd move.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
He never completed the catch. That should have never been a TD. The league has a problem with the rule. No one understands it. When does a WR become a runner?

Pereira first says it is a catch on Sunday but now on Wed he says it isn't a catch. I guess it also depends on what day of the week it happens. And he helped write the rule.

bsheeern

Reaction score
Are the replay officials permanent full time NFL employees, or second job part timers like the field officials? Anyone know if they are reviewed and kept or fired based on their performance? What's the accountability like for them?

NFL officials are not full-time employees of the NFL. Most if not all have jobs outside of football.

It's becoming more & more evident to me that it's really really hard for some of these guys to keep up with the speed of these players, be able to see everything that happens and also be able to keep up with the constant rule changes. Especially the ones That have years and years of service in the league and are used to Rules being a certain way and after 10 to 15 years they have to completely change the rule of thought and reaction to a play.

No offense to anyone above the age of 55 or 60, But I have seen these guys up close and first hand .There's no way that SOME of them are physically or mentally adequate to do the Job it requires to be a near flawless NFL official. Because the college rules are so vastly different and the speed of play is so much slower it's really really hard to transition from college to the NFL as an official just like it is as a player

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Looked good to me. Caught it, made a second move to the endzone and the ball broke the goal line.

I thinks there are far too many technicalities in the rules anymore and far too much reviewing in general.

The review of every turnover and score basically leaves no room for coaches to challenge. It's dumb and slows the game.

Nope ball hit floor and he lost control

bsheeern

Reaction score
They only get reviewed upstairs and In booth by officials who are not on the field and are looking at video replays. They are only given the amount of time to review the play that it takes for the scoring team to line up and run the next play, In this case extra point. So that's why you see teams rushing up to the line of scrimmage to hurry up and run a play so that the officials upstairs can't have enough time to adequately review it.

blindzebra

Reaction score
They only get reviewed upstairs and In booth by officials who are not on the field and are looking at video replays. They are only given the amount of time to review the play that it takes for the scoring team to line up and run the next play, In this case extra point. So that's why you see teams rushing up to the line of scrimmage to hurry up and run a play so that the officials upstairs can't have enough time to adequately review it.

That is not how it works. On scoring plays they don't allow the ball to be set until the replay officials say no need to have the referee look at it.

bsheeern

Reaction score
That is not how it works. On scoring plays they don't allow the ball to be set until the replay officials say no need to have the referee look at it.

I have to disagree with you on this one. The only time they hold the ball and wait is if they are being told from upstairs that it MAY need to be reviewed. They don't wait for the review officials upstairs to say there's no need to look at it. They have a buzzer that Buzzes them.

"
[Plays will be] automatically reviewed by the replay assistant, and if that assistant thinks it’s a close enough call that it warrants a closer look, he’ll buzz down to the on-field referee to take that closer look."

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Second move? He didn't get his 2nd foot down until he was almost on the ground, right before the ball came out...there's no possibility for a 2nd move.

His lunge was the second move.

How else would a guy jump vertically and end up extended horizontally?

blindzebra

Reaction score
His lunge was the second move.

How else would a guy jump vertically and end up extended horizontally?

By getting hit hard enough a helmet came off. Hard to lunge without getting a second foot down.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Nope ball hit floor and he lost control

Happens all the time with RBs and its a touchdown, not a fumble.

Whether or not he lost the ball is secondary to whether or not he had established possession and had begun to advance. If he was advancing the ball as a RB would, it doesn't matter if he lost control.

As I said, too many technicalities in the rulebook.

Clearly he caught the ball an made a move for the endzone, breaking the goal line.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
By getting hit hard enough a helmet came off. Hard to lunge without getting a second foot down.

I'm sure it was the helmet hit that made his arm extend as well. A. Helmet coming off doesn't mean anything.

His second foot doesn't have to be down to lunge.

bsheeern

Reaction score
Straight from the NFL rulebook:

Replay Official’s Request for Review. After the two-minute warning of each half, throughout any overtime period, and after all scoring plays, any Referee Review will be initiated by a Replay Official. There is no limit to the number of Referee Reviews that may be initiated by the Replay Official. He must initiate a review before the next legal snap or kick and cannot initiate a review of any ruling against a team that commits a foul to prevent the next snap. His ability to initiate a review will be unrelated to the number of time outs that either team has remaining, and no time out will be charged for any review initiated by the Replay Official.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Happens all the time with RBs and its a touchdown, not a fumble.

Whether or not he lost the ball is secondary to whether or not he had established possession and had begun to advance. If he was advancing the ball as a RB would, it doesn't matter if he lost control.

As I said, too many technicalities in the rulebook.

Clearly he caught the ball an made a move for the endzone, breaking the goal line.

A receiver is not a runner until he completes the catch, Cruz never became a runner because he never completed the catch.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Sure all scoring plays are reviewed but that doesn't mean the officials upstairs were given enough time to review the play from every angle.

If the team that scores Or has any inclination that a play might be challenged or reversed runs onto the field and kicks the extra point within 7-10 seconds there's no way the officiating crew upstairs had adequate time to review the play.

They shouldn't buzz the officials if they feel like it was a bad or blown call. They should buzz the officials if there is any doubt in their mind that the outcome of the play could be different.

It would be no different if the coach has to ask for it he is not getting the info until his staff reviews the replay upstairs. They blew the call not an excuse but I like the fact coaches do not have to risk using a TO after a score or be in the situation that you have no challenges left and there is a questionable call on a scoring play.

Ultra Warrior

6 Million Light-years beyond believability.
Reaction score
Went back & rewatched the catch. Looked to me that he caught it, foot down & elbow down, ball still in hand. When the ball hits the turf, it comes out. He recovers it. Not that it matters anyway, we Won. Not sure why we are dissecting this play. Had we LOST, then sure.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Went back & rewatched the catch. Looked to me that he caught it, foot down & elbow down, ball still in hand. When the ball hits the turf, it comes out. He recovers it. Not that it matters anyway, we Won. Not sure why we are dissecting this play. Had we LOST, then sure.

Do you understand the current rules? Doesn't sound like it.