Twitter: Mike Zimmer interested in DC job

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Zimmer was a consistently good coach in Minnesota, but near the end of his tenure, he just seemed burnt out on life.

No doubt he knows his stuff, but if his heart's not in it, he won't get anywhere. The NFL is too competitive for that.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If any coach is under 60 and/or has not had any previous HC experience, then he will not be legitimately considered. Mike has no say so, Jerry may present it as if it does, but he doesn’t have any serious input.

stiletto

Reaction score
Zimmer was a consistently good coach in Minnesota, but near the end of his tenure, he just seemed burnt out on life.

No doubt he knows his stuff, but if his heart's not in it, he won't get anywhere. The NFL is too competitive for that.
He had some health issues too I believe but if has had a break and feels he can give it a go, we could do worse for a year.

Frankly, I was dreading Quinn again. He did some good things taking the Defense over from garbage Nolan but he was pretty stubborn in some things he did and with player types he wanted. Obviously he was a feast and famine style.

Wouldn't mind seeing a fundamental style stop the run and get off the field on 3rd and long defense. Should have some extra pieces at LB or I'm praying he does...or for whoever comes in.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
No he isn’t. He was here under Campo and was under contract so Jerry talked Parcells into keeping him. Parcells had just gone through a divorce and needed retirement money.

Zimmer ran a 43 while Parcells was a 34 innovator. By the time Parcells was allowed to do it his way and it was built, Jerry got his stayjum and wanted the spotlight back. Enter puppet Wade, AFTER Jason Garret was already hired as OC.

The team was a pure mess within three seasons of Jerry meddle. Not the first time he tore things down with his genius.

Oh, didn't know that. Nvm, give me Vrabel

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Wouldnt mind it

As a defensive-minded coach, he always gets the most out of the Vikings' defense. In his six seasons, the Vikings' defense has ranked in the top-10 in points allowed five times. The only time they didn't finish in the top-10 came in his first season in charge, when they ranked 11th.
We ranked in top 5 this year in points and yardage and people wanted the other guy hung.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Didn’t we have a top D with him here? Even though we were horrible? Hard to remember for me

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Vikes owner wanted to make the playoffs every sesson. Got butt hurt.

MikeZ would be an excellent hire for us.

It also keeps the pressure on Big Mike.

Zimmer could be HC. Has a relationship with the Jones family. Excellent reputation.

Majic

Reaction score
I admire Zimmer and he's had a good career, but the Vikings couldn't wait to move on from him and immediately installed a 3-4 scheme, they wanted change.

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
I admire Zimmer and he's had a good career, but the Vikings couldn't wait to move on from him and immediately installed a 3-4 scheme, they wanted change.
My feeling as well.

Not thinking scheme or whatever. My impression of Zimmer over the years is that he is a very good coach who players respect, but that his defense will play scared in the most important moment. While respectable, Minnesota wasn't exactly feared over the years.

My biggest concern, for any DC hire, is that we get a guy whose defense can't handle motion and modern offenses. This has killed us for years, and the league will soon be full of the Shanahan/McVay acolytes. Zimmer being out of it for 3 years is a big red flag.

Then again, maybe he adjusts and excels after some time away. Who knows. In any case, it's likely not an inspired choice that will push us over the edge.