Twitter: Mike Zimmer interested in DC job

khiladi

Reaction score
We chased him out of town the last time he was here -- and his defense gave up multiple 200 yard games. Of course one could argue it is player selection that is the problem rather than coaching...
He was awful here, but he was much better after he left here. I believe one of his issues is he’s really controlling, which may be why Norv quit as his OC mid-season. Completely different approaches towards the game.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I think it will be a young guy like Staley.
Staley is unemployed largely because he had the reputation for being the hot shot up and comer DC, and then his defenses every season there underperformed expectations. Now, to be fair to him, you do have to look at how injuries impacted that. But there's nothing about Staley that hints he's likely to be a serious candidate. You never know. Maybe he gets an interview and impresses the socks off them. Won't say never.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Can we at least be interested in guys who have coordinated a defense in the last 10 years :confused:

dupree89

Reaction score
I do. The defense regressed from 2021-22 level and I don't think any of us saw it coming.

All I see now is the 49ers scoring 42 points, the Bills rushing for 266 yards, and Packers tight ends running downfield 40 yards uncovered.
i have to be fair, i wanted him too. So we're in the same boat, as they say. I wanted him as head coach, but now i am glad he's gone. Oh well.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know a job that Zimmer could do!

dallas-cowboys-mascot-rowdyjpg.jpg

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
I'm not sure how picky we can be given the circumstances. Who wants to go to work for a company that might be going out of business like McCarthy? There's more of a chance of a total coaching house cleaning than not after 2024.
If he puts up a stellar D and MM falls on his face, I would think Zimm could be a solid candidate for HC if we really wants that again

dware94

Reaction score
The defense was never an issue with zimmer. He never made the right decision at Qb/OC. He would be an instant upgrade at stopping the run and physicality.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Key Scheme Elements of Zimmer's Defense

• 4-3 base scheme, frequent use of 4-2-5 nickel package in passing situations
  • primarily press-man coverage
  • extensive blitz variations, including signature double-A gap blitz formation, but does not blitz frequently
  • Stop the run first mentality
Looking at these elements, most of them are not particularly unusual, and most are commonly used in NFL defenses. And yet, as Robert Klemko at SI.com pointed out a couple years ago:
He mixed in 3-4 fronts in Cincinnati too

fivetwos

Reaction score
Plus, he is a Parcells disciple from when he was here. I'd love it. If not this season, next season.
No he isn’t. He was here under Campo and was under contract so Jerry talked Parcells into keeping him. Parcells had just gone through a divorce and needed retirement money.

Zimmer ran a 43 while Parcells was a 34 innovator. By the time Parcells was allowed to do it his way and it was built, Jerry got his stayjum and wanted the spotlight back. Enter puppet Wade, AFTER Jason Garret was already hired as OC.

The team was a pure mess within three seasons of Jerry meddle. Not the first time he tore things down with his genius.