MJ vs Elvis Who will be remember as the biggest icon?

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Hostile;2827129 said:
Seems only fair. You amuse me. I amuse you.

:grin:

:laugh2:

Seriously, my co-worker Dianna told me she knows how big Frank Sinatra was but she can't name any of his songs.

One of her comments today was people just can't understand that just because they know and listen to an artist, that others may be completely clueless about them.

I just don't see why she would have a reason to lie.

Maybe we need to start getting folks like myself hooked up to a Lie Detector.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2827134 said:

Seriously, my co-worker Dianna told me she knows how big Frank Sinatra was but she can't name any of his songs.

One of her comments today was people just can't understand that just because they know and listen to an artist, that others may be completely clueless about them.

yeah, 'Dianna' said so

nice try, mick

I wasn't born yesterday

that lie detector idea sounds like a pretty good idea LOL

Avaj

Peace Be Still
Reaction score
ethiostar;2827117 said:
Nothing about your opinion upsets me and i doubt whether WG or Mike or Avaj are upset about it. I think we find it, shall we say interesting, that you and others are insisting that that is damn near impossible and have essentially been called liars becasue of it. Not by you but others.

I used to be taken aback by what some people don't know, about stuff that i considered to be common knowledge. But, i've met enough people to know that what i consider to be common knowledge is not always that common.

I have a lot of respect for you Hos, i hope you know that, but i'm gettig a kick out of your reaction to the lack of Elvis knowledge among people, Americans or otherwise.

Exactly!!! Very nicely put.

Hostile;2827124 said:
I was joking. See for yourself the comments in white font in that post.

"When the Saints Come marching In" has transcended my personal tastes, just like all the other references I have already cited.

At the very least, give me credit for being consistent.

I know you was joking and read the comments, but if you didn't know I wouldn't be shock. I'm agree with what Ethiostar said above.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ethiostar;2827117 said:
Personally, i like Elvis and i can name a dozen or so songs off the top of my head. And ironically, i think i have more Elvis records than MJ at this time.

Putting aside the rest of the world. I know enough people in the US who do not watch TV, follow sports or follow pop culture in general. They are just not interested. They never grew up watching TV either and some of them do not own a TV. Most of them have heard of Elvis and MJ and might have heard of their music at some point in their life time but they can not tell you a song title by either one or any other artist. They just don't care.

Other friends who listen to music but different kinds and can recognize Elvis if they here him but can not tell you much about him, including a song of his.

My mother in-law, who i talked to about an hour ago knew who Elvis was but couldn't tell me the name of one of his songs. Does that mean that she doesn't recognize his songs if she heard it, no, i'm sure she would but she just doesn't care to know or put the effort to try to remember it. She says she never did care cause all she listened to was gospel music. She lives in Virginia on a farm and she has been there her entire life. She doesn't watch TV and when she listens to the radio she listens to christian radio.

Nothing about your opinion upsets me and i doubt whether WG or Mike or Avaj are upset about it. I think we find it, shall we say interesting, that you and others are insisting that that is damn near impossible and have essentially been called liars becasue of it. Not by you but others.

I used to be taken aback by what some people don't know, about stuff that i considered to be common knowledge. But, i've met enough people to know that what i consider to be common knowledge is not always that common.

I have a lot of respect for you Hos, i hope you know that, but i'm gettig a kick out of your reaction to the lack of Elvis knowledge among people, Americans or otherwise.
Once again, I never called anyone a liar. The word has not been in my posts. Please look it up if you doubt me. I know you are not saying I have, but I want to make that perfectly clear. I have not called anyone a liar.

One reason this is so humorous to me Ethio is you have no idea how uninformed about the world that I really am. Let me give you an example. I hav enot watched a network TV show that has a story line in 3 years. The last show I watched was season 3 of Lost and I did not watch that whole season. I have not seen an episode of network TV since then.

I do not watch the news. You have heard me in the Political Zone profess that I know nothing about politics. It isn't puffing. Someone mentioned that they knew maybe 10 Governors in America. Ethio I know probably 5 at most and one is my home state. I know California because of who he is. I know Alaska because of who she is, but I had never heard fo her until these elections and Dallas mentioned her. I now know South Carolina. You know what? I know New Mexico because I am from there. That's it.

Have you seen footage of Michael on the news since his death? Was it accompanied by clips of his music? Of course it was. It is beyond unimaginable for me to hear someone say they don't know his songs. It's all over the news. Impossible.

Same thing happened when Elvis died. When Sinatra died. Et cetera. Footage blanketed the nation. I can't fathom not knowing Elvis sang "Hound Dog." It is actually beyond my level of comprehension in the human species. I am very sad to hear people say that because frankly it intimates things that I don't want to see in people. I've had PMs asking me about it. I don't even want to think about it.

I'm no fan of Soccer, but I know who Pele is. I'm no fan of **** Germany, but I know who Hitler is. I'm no pilot but I know who Amelia Earhart is. I'm no race car driver but I know who Mario Andrete is. I was never a soldier but I know who Patton is. I'm no inventor but I know who Thomas Edison was.

I cannot grasp living in America and not knowing the people who influenced and shaped America. It's like someone telling me they've never heard of Martin Luther King Jr. because they are 15 and White and weren't around for the Civil Rights Movement. I can't grasp that. To not know the things that shape our country is to live in a closet.

I am sorry I can't explain it any better. To you, WG, Avaj, or Maikeru-Sama. But the truth is, I can't. I consider myself an intelligent man, but I am not smart enough to get the bubble you all claim to live in. I will never understand it. I am not smart enough to grasp that concept at all.

I should probably shut up. Someone just congratulated me on reaching 70,000 posts and I am so amused by this that I didn't even know I had and it was quite a few posts ago.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2827134 said:

I don't own an Elvis, Beatles, Frank Sinatra, or Louis Armstrong CD. I don't own any Beethoven either.

IT isn't about me listening to them. Never has been, because I don't.

But I would never sit here and tell you I know nothing about them. I have seen too much of them in our American culture not to know about them.

Once again, I am not saying you or anyone else is lying.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Avaj;2827145 said:
I know you was joking and read the comments, but if you didn't know I wouldn't be shock. I'm agree with what Ethiostar said above.
You wouldn't be shocked. But I would be. Same as why I have said so with the other artists.

ethiostar

Reaction score
ethiostar;2827117 said:

Hostile;2827149 said:
Once again, I never called anyone a liar. The word has not been in my posts. Please look it up if you doubt me. I know you are not saying I have, but I want to make that perfectly clear. I have not called anyone a liar.

Have you seen footage of Michael on the news since his death? Was it accompanied by clips of his music? Of course it was. It is beyond unimaginable for me to hear someone say they don't know his songs. It's all over the news. Impossible.

Actually i haven't tuned in, i heard he died from my nephew and read briefly about it on this forum, that it. I didn't want to see the circus that it was made out to be.

I cannot grasp living in America and not knowing the people who influenced and shaped America. It's like someone telling me they've never heard of Martin Luther King Jr. because they are 15 and White and weren't around for the Civil Rights Movement. I can't grasp that. To not know the things that shape our country is to live in a closet.

You would be shocked by what my students don't know. One semester, i had two students who didn't know who JFK was, college students mind you. It was shocking to me at first but then after a while i came to expect it.

I am sorry I can't explain it any better. To you, WG, Avaj, or Maikeru-Sama. But the truth is, I can't. I consider myself an intelligent man, but I am not smart enough to get the bubble you all claim to live in. I will never understand it. I am not smart enough to grasp that concept at all.

Already told you that i own more Elvis records than MJ's. But people who are into politics would consider you to live in a bubble because of your lack of knowledge on US politics. To each his own.

I should probably shut up. Someone just congratulated me on reaching 70,000 posts and I am so amused by this that I didn't even know I had and it was quite a few posts ago.

Congrats man. By my calculation, I expect to reach that by year 2056.:D

Avaj

Peace Be Still
Reaction score
One morning I was listening to Mike & Mike. Mike Greenberg said you know what I don't get. He said he was having lunch or something with a friend who was a prominent doctor. He said isn't sad about John Travolta's son. The friend said what are you talking about. He said huh. You don't know what I'm talking about and the friend said no. Greenberg goes to explain how he died. The friend said oh I didn't know that and it is sad. Now this was like a week after John Travolta's son died. He said what planet were they living on not to have heard that. He said it was all over the news, on every magazine cover, he could not phantom how they didn't hear about that. He went on and on about how he just didn't believe it how his friend didn't know or hear anything about it.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ethiostar;2827169 said:
Actually i haven't tuned in, i heard he died from my nephew and read briefly about it on this forum, that it. I didn't want to see the circus that it was made out to be.

You would be shocked by what my students don't know. One semester, i had two students who didn't know who JFK was, college students mind you. It was shocking to me at first but then after a while i came to expect it.
I actually made fun of my niece in this very thread for not knowing who JFK is.

Already told you that i own more Elvis records than MJ's. But people who are into politics would consider you to live in a bubble because of your lack of knowledge on US politics. To each his own.
Where it pertains to politics I do live in a bubble. With one exception, when they become an iconic figure, I pay attention.

Congrats man. By my calculation, I expect to reach that by year 2056.:D
You have work to do.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Avaj;2827181 said:
One morning I was listening to Mike & Mike. Mike Greenberg said you know what I don't get. He said he was having lunch or something with a friend who was a prominent doctor. He said isn't sad about John Travolta's son. The friend said what are you talking about. He said huh. You don't know what I'm talking about and the friend said no. Greenberg goes to explain how he died. The friend said oh I didn't know that and it is sad. Now this was like a week after John Travolta's son died. He said what planet were they living on not to have heard that. He said it was all over the news, on every magazine cover, he could not phantom how they didn't hear about that. He went on and on about how he just didn't believe it how his friend didn't know or hear anything about it.
John Travolta isn't an American icon.

Avaj

Peace Be Still
Reaction score
Hostile;2827156 said:
But I would never sit here and tell you I know nothing about them. I have seen too much of them in our American culture not to know about them.

It comes across that you think we are lying. I have no need to lie. What would I gain by doing so??

Avaj

Peace Be Still
Reaction score
Hostile;2827187 said:
John Travolta isn't an American icon.

I know that, but I was just saying how fascinated Greenberg was that this person didn't know or hear, just kind of what you are alluded to with us about Elvis and the Bealtes

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
FYI, recall is much harder than recognition. I bet if you put a multiple choice question with a list of songs with one of the choices being Elvis's, I would say more people would be able to correctly identify an Elvis song.

The intricacies of memory...

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Hostile;2827156 said:
I don't own an Elvis, Beatles, Frank Sinatra, or Louis Armstrong CD. I don't own any Beethoven either.

IT isn't about me listening to them. Never has been, because I don't.

Maikeru-sama;2825449 said:
I have very serious doubts when someone claims to not know who Elvis is.

I can't name any of his songs but I definately know who the man is.

link

Maikeru-sama;2825586 said:
Wrong. Quite frankely, I think it "strengthens" my argument.

I can name quite a bit of songs done by artists back in the day.

The Beatles, Johnny Cash (The original man in black), John Lennon (solo) etc etc.

I knew who Elvis Pressely was but I never listened to his songs.

link

Maikeru-sama;2825755 said:
Again, I said I can't name a song that Elvis sung.

Similar to Bob Dylan. I know the guy is famous and I would know his voice if I heard a song of his, but I couldn't name any of his songs.

If I heard any of Elvis' song, I would know that it is Elvis, but I couldn't name any of his song.

Being able to recognize Elvis' voice and being able to name the song is two different things.

Not everybody in America is a fan of Elvis' music. Just like not everybody in America is a fan of Michael Jackson.

link

Maikeru-sama;2825770 said:
If it came on the radio, I would know it was Elvis singing it, but I wouldn't know the name of the song.
Elvis was never played in my house.

link

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Avaj;2827189 said:
It comes across that you think we are lying. I have no need to lie. What would I gain by doing so??
Please tell me why I should answer this if I am not saying you are lying.

Avaj

Peace Be Still
Reaction score
Hostile;2827184 said:
Where it pertains to politics I do live in a bubble. With one exception, when they become an iconic figure, I pay attention.

First of all both the Beatles and Elvis was around before I was born. I said earlier in the thread Elvis died when I was like 4. What was I suppose to pay attention to? Like I've said I heard of both, but really couldn't give you much detail about either. I was talking to my mother earlier about this. She said no I wouldn't know much about them because she didn't play them around me. She said I know about Smokey Robinson, The Temptations, The Whispers and others because that is what she & my father played all the time. Which I do. She wasn't a fan of either, wasn't her taste in music so therefore they didn't introduce me to to either. She knows who they are and was raised with the mania of both.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Hostile;2827194 said:
Please tell me why I should answer this if I am not saying you are lying.

But you kinda are though :p: .

It's cool.

But if you call my friend from Sri Lanka a liar then im gonna have to fight cha eeeerrrrrr :laugh2: !!

barbossa%201.jpg