MLB 2017 Regular Season

RS12

Reaction score
Keep in mind Joe only played in a little more than 1700 games.

He lost 3 full years due to military service, plus a few games here & there due to the 154 game schedule.
Ted Williams missed most of 5 years for that. Still considered one of the three greatest hitters of all time.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ted Williams missed most of 5 years for that. Still considered one of the three greatest hitters of all time.

Ted was an amazingly great hitter!

Too bad what happened after his death became such a sideshow.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
The guy is an amazing talent...

And yeah some of those HOFers shouldn't be HOFers... But whatever.

The Trout question isn't how great the numbers is that he'll amass it's will he get to play on a consistent winner and be able to claim a couple WS titles.
He'll be an Angel forever. LA market won't let him leave.

He loves LA.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Props to Judge and Altuve.

Altuve, your 2017 MVP (because Trout was injured, twice)

I thought Judge would fall off a cliff. And only his BA did. His K's are mitigated by his BB's.

What a phenom, young, power hitter. Future Jim Thome, maybe

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I absolutely adore that you love Trout, RS

Many aficionados that love the game are tied to a team and don't respect a true phenom like Trout.

He's a Gretzky. A Bonds. A Kobe/Lebron. A Barry Sanders.

If he gets some 'Chips, it's over. Best player since Mays.

RS12

Reaction score
Many aficionados that love the game are tied to a team and don't respect a true phenom like Trout.
I am a big believer in numbers and science. Trout's numbers speak for themselves. In fact they speak themselves to the point that we don't have to look backwards on his career and then after the fact say "oh yeah, he was a great player wasn't he". Nope, in his case we enjoy the ride and greatness as it is happening because of what has already accomplished at the tender age of 26 per the numbers and the HOF comps I have posted. The best part is usually a player comes into his prime from 27-32, so the best might yet to come. A triple crown perhaps?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bill James did an article on the Angels which should interest Trouty...

Here are the synopsis of the two most recent era's of Angels history:

5. Salmon, Scioscia and Moreno

1997 – 2009

In late 1996 Gene Autry stepped aside, and In 1997 Terry Collins took over as manager of the Angels. Collins had managed successfully in Houston. The Astros, who had not had a winning season since 1989, produced four straight winning seasons for Collins (1993-1996) but collapsed late in the season in 1996. Collins was an intense man at that time, a high-pressure manager, and some people felt that he was too high-pressure.

The Angels took the good with the bad, began to move up. The Angels’ results with Terry Collins were similar to the Astros’: a couple of good years, and then the players started to get tired of him. Collins was replaced by Mike Scioscia.

This is recent history now, comparatively. I’m sure you all remember Mike Scioscia’s good years. The Angels won 99 games and their first (and only) World Championship in 2002. Artie Moreno bought the team from the Disney Corporation in 2003, and announced immediately that "we are a big city franchise and we need to act like it." With strong leadership from Scioscia, Moreno and GM Bill Stoneman the Angels won 92 games in 2004, 95 in 2005, 89 in 2006, 94 in 2007, 100 in 2008 and 97 in 2009. Although they never got back to the World Series they were in post season play just about every year. By 2009 they had a Franchise Strength Index of 85, and were the fifth-strongest organization in baseball.

6. The Mike Trout Era

2010 to the Present

And what has happened since then?

Well. . .I don’t want to be judgmental. The Angel organization has not gone into the tank, but entering this season—despite having had the best player in baseball for most of this decade—the Angels Franchise Strength Index was down to 78, and did not appear to be headed up.

There is a special problem for teams that play in the largest cities. I’ll write more about it when I get to the Mets, but it has to do with what we could call glittering options. When Albert Pujols was on the free agent market post-season 2011 he was a glittering option. When Josh Hamilton was available a year later he was a glittering option. The Angels didn’t ask "Is this player actually going to help us?" They asked "Can we afford him? Well, hell yes, we can afford him. We’re a big-city franchise here!" This leads to an unwise allocation of resources.

The Angels have kind of wasted the Mike Trout years, frankly. They haven’t collapsed, but they have not built around him. Yes, they have had some terrible luck, but they have not done what they should have done with Mike Trout in the lineup.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Bill James did an article on the Angels which should interest Trouty...

Here are the synopsis of the two most recent era's of Angels history:

5. Salmon, Scioscia and Moreno

1997 – 2009

In late 1996 Gene Autry stepped aside, and In 1997 Terry Collins took over as manager of the Angels. Collins had managed successfully in Houston. The Astros, who had not had a winning season since 1989, produced four straight winning seasons for Collins (1993-1996) but collapsed late in the season in 1996. Collins was an intense man at that time, a high-pressure manager, and some people felt that he was too high-pressure.

The Angels took the good with the bad, began to move up. The Angels’ results with Terry Collins were similar to the Astros’: a couple of good years, and then the players started to get tired of him. Collins was replaced by Mike Scioscia.

This is recent history now, comparatively. I’m sure you all remember Mike Scioscia’s good years. The Angels won 99 games and their first (and only) World Championship in 2002. Artie Moreno bought the team from the Disney Corporation in 2003, and announced immediately that "we are a big city franchise and we need to act like it." With strong leadership from Scioscia, Moreno and GM Bill Stoneman the Angels won 92 games in 2004, 95 in 2005, 89 in 2006, 94 in 2007, 100 in 2008 and 97 in 2009. Although they never got back to the World Series they were in post season play just about every year. By 2009 they had a Franchise Strength Index of 85, and were the fifth-strongest organization in baseball.

6. The Mike Trout Era

2010 to the Present

And what has happened since then?

Well. . .I don’t want to be judgmental. The Angel organization has not gone into the tank, but entering this season—despite having had the best player in baseball for most of this decade—the Angels Franchise Strength Index was down to 78, and did not appear to be headed up.

There is a special problem for teams that play in the largest cities. I’ll write more about it when I get to the Mets, but it has to do with what we could call glittering options. When Albert Pujols was on the free agent market post-season 2011 he was a glittering option. When Josh Hamilton was available a year later he was a glittering option. The Angels didn’t ask "Is this player actually going to help us?" They asked "Can we afford him? Well, hell yes, we can afford him. We’re a big-city franchise here!" This leads to an unwise allocation of resources.

The Angels have kind of wasted the Mike Trout years, frankly. They haven’t collapsed, but they have not built around him. Yes, they have had some terrible luck, but they have not done what they should have done with Mike Trout in the lineup.
Thank you, Mike.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Judge may or may not be a better player then Trout, too early to tell at this point. I will say this, at this point in his career, he is a much better power hitter.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Props to Judge and Altuve.

Altuve, your 2017 MVP (because Trout was injured, twice)

I thought Judge would fall off a cliff. And only his BA did. His K's are mitigated by his BB's.

What a phenom, young, power hitter. Future Jim Thome, maybe

Little man can have MVP
Judge_Altuve_8a8iut4l_0z5s43r4.jpg

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Judge may or may not be a better player then Trout, too early to tell at this point. I will say this, at this point in his career, he is a much better power hitter.
You're kidding me, sir?

Trout is the same age as Judge is now.

You're comparing Thome (maybe, it's been one season) to Mickey Mantle reincarnate.

I don't like this Judge love fest. But us Angel fans are used to it. Every year it's a new player who is "The Next Mike Trout."

There isn't. He's a phenom. A true generational player. Mike Judge? Pshaw.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Trout isn't a power hitter. He's a five-tool phenom.

He will evolve into a 50+ hitter once he hits age 30, or so.

He'll be a 3,000 hits, 500 hr, 500 DBLs, 400 SBs, 2000 RBI hitter, with a career OPS over 1.000 and around 110-160 WAR when he retires.

Judge won't touch those numbers, he started too old and is a pure power hitter.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You're kidding me, sir?

Trout is the same age as Judge is now.

You're comparing Thome (maybe, it's been one season) to Mickey Mantle reincarnate.

I don't like this Judge love fest. But us Angel fans are used to it. Every year it's a new player who is "The Next Mike Trout."

There isn't. He's a phenom. A true generational player. Mike Judge? Pshaw.

I'm not kidding, we don't really know what Judge will be yet. I will say this, every power index to this point, favors Judge. If you read my original post, that's all I said.

Trouty, you can argue till Cows come home but at the end of the day, we don't know what Judge will be. It's too early in his career.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I'm not kidding, we don't really know what Judge will be yet. I will say this, every power index to this point, favors Judge. If you read my original post, that's all I said.

Trouty, you can argue till Cows come home but at the end of the day, we don't know what Judge will be. It's too early in his career.
But we know the phenom Trout is. The likelihood that Judge will touch Trout is slim to nill. Trout's second season destroys Judge's (both of their "rookie" years). And Trout was 20, sir.