MLB Off Season Thread

kskboys

Reaction score
The Pads getting Machado makes them a major force in the NL West. I can see the DBacks falling out of the race and looking to rid themselves of Greinke's contract. He could be just what the Stros need to get the pennant.
Were the Pads really that close? Guess it's been so long for them I wasn't paying attention!!!

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Were the Pads really that close? Guess it's been so long for them I wasn't paying attention!!!

They have some good young pieces in place. Machado should make those youngsters even better. They're definitely on an upswing.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
WOW. Phils laid $330 million on the table for a 10 year contract and Harper still hasn't decided who he wants to sign with.

I say, go with the Dodgers 2 year deal Harper. The Phil's will use that $ next season when Trout's a free agent. Touche'

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
If they don't get Harper it's all for nought. Empty stadiums just like last year.

Wanna win? Wanna make money? Wanna put ***** in the seat?

Pretty simple. Pay him what he wants and let's go.
A rebuilding team isn't going to have sell outs. And neither is adding one greedy player.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
A rebuilding team isn't going to have sell outs. And neither is adding one greedy player.

The Phillies are not a rebuilding team lol. They were a playoff team until the collapse in the last.month last year and they signed 3 all stars this off-season so far in addition to some of the young guys being a year older and better now. Harper would be the 4th all star signed this off-season and we win the NL if we get him.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
The Phillies are not a rebuilding team lol. They were a playoff team until the collapse in the last.month last year and they signed 3 all stars this off-season so far in addition to some of the young guys being a year older and better now. Harper would be the 4th all star signed this off-season and we win the NL if we get him.
The organization didn't expect the Phillies to even be a potential playoff contender last season. The collapse was due to the obvious never ending bullpen issues. Lol, signing Harper will not guarantee winning the NL as it will having a decent bullpen.

Last edited:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Harper, willing to go 10 years and it’s not like you’ll have to pay all 10 years if he leaves after 3. Fans just won’t really buy into him if he signs that deal because you won’t be sure if he actually wants to be here if he has an opt-out. Go to the Dodgers already, it's obvious that's where you want to be..... closer to your white picket fence. :rolleyes:

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
The organization didn't expect the Phillies to even be a potential playoff contender last season. The collapse was due to the obvious never ending bullpen issues. Lol, signing Harper will not guarantee winning the NL as it will having a decent bullpen.

They have upgraded their bullpen considerably this off-season.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Harper, willing to go 10 years and it’s not like you’ll have to pay all 10 years if he leaves after 3. Fans just won’t really buy into him if he signs that deal because you won’t be sure if he actually wants to be here if he has an opt-out. Go to the Dodgers already, it's obvious that's where you want to be..... closer to your white picket fence. :rolleyes:

You must not be from Philly.

Fans will act like they don't want him right now because it seems like he doesn't want to.come.

But I'd he signs..there will be lines for.mikes to see him play and when he hits his first HR.. he'll be a Good in this town.

John813

Reaction score
Did he take less per year due to no opt outs?

Been a while since I've followed baseball heavily.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

He reportedly wanted no opt outs. So the reports he didn't want to play in Philly appears to have been fake news.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yes. He supposedly wanted to finish his career with one team and total years were more important to him than per year salary. He got the record total salary with the most years and a full no trade clause. He's a Phillie for life, apparently.

For the Phillies, not only do they get this big bat into their now scary lineup but at 25 million AAV, they still have the financial flexibility to go after Trout should he become a FA. He wants to play in Philadelphia.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Did he take less per year due to no opt outs? Been a while since I've followed baseball heavily.
Lol, just a tad less. Harper's annual average deal is $25.38 million, or about $4.5 million less than Machado's contract. Harper's agent, Scott Boras, said contract length was more important than money to Harper. Reports stated Harper wanted to play in the West Coast close to his Vegas home. But the Dodgers/Giants couldn't come close to a deal as lucrative as the Phillies.

Last edited:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Giants reportedly offered 12 years, 310 million and the Dodgers would only go short term.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Lol, just a tad less. Harper's annual average deal is $25.38 million, or about $4.5 million less than Machado's contract. Harper's agent, Scott Boras, said contract length was more important than money to Harper. Reports stated Harper wanted to play in the West Coast close to his Vegas home. But the Dodgers/Giants couldn't come close to a deal as lucrative as the Phillies.
Arenado for COL just got 8/260m or 32.5m

Harper taking 7.2m less is very surprising