MLB Playoffs

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Now that i had a minute to think about that i would consider changing it and starting Verlander in game 4.

Yea, they are in trouble, you have to give the edge to Boston with Porcello and a full bull pen in game 4 vs Morton.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Verl threw 90 pitches in game one, not too bad. He would be on three days rest if he went tomorrow. He might be available in a game 7 then, at least some relief pitching.

I don't know, that is a tough call. I think ya let Morton take the ball and hope for the best with Justin going game 5 to go up one game before heading to Boston. I think Justin would be available for a few innings in Fenway under that scenario.

None of this matters though if the Houston bats don't wake up......

Insomniac

Reaction score
He is only throwing 2 games. Morton is getting the start in game 4.

It would be tough to start game 4 and 7, both on 3 days rest.

In 1964,67 and 68 Bob Gibson started 3 games in each World Series, all but 1 of them was on 3 days rest. The one that wasn't was on 2 days rest. He pitched 8 complete games, including the one with 2 days rest.

When I was growing up the term "7 inning pitcher" was an insult. Now a 7 inning pitcher would have about 20 teams offering him $25 million a year.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
In 1964,67 and 68 Bob Gibson started 3 games in each World Series, all but 1 of them was on 3 days rest. The one that wasn't was on 2 days rest. He pitched 8 complete games, including the one with 2 days rest.

When I was growing up the term "7 inning pitcher" was an insult. Now a 7 inning pitcher would have about 20 teams offering him $25 million a year.

Totally different game today, they threw the ball at least 5 to 10 mph slower as well.

I pitched in college, you can go on short rest, but more times then not you won't have your best stuff.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think you are going to see even more changes in the coming years to MLB.

More and more teams are using statistical probabilities in their line-ups, pitching match-ups, etc. where in the past they were usually only used when scouting and signing free agents.

Take a look at the Dodgers for example. Most of their position players are not every day players for them. On other teams they would be, but the Dodgers set their roster dynamically based on the other team's starting pitcher.

The biggest change I predict will happen to MLB though will be teams using single-batting order pitchers where they have each pitcher go through the other team's batting order one time, then they get replaced.

The reason for this is that batters usually do better against a pitcher on their second and third at bat against them and this would take away that advantage. It's basically a diminishing returns situation.

As a bonus, it would allow pitchers to pitch more often than they do now. Instead of 5 days rest, most pitchers would likely only need 3 days rest or 4 at worst.

Another advantage to this strategy is that you can force teams to go to their bench earlier in games which is a much bigger deal during the bulk of the season when they are using 25-man rosters. For example, if the other team has a power hitting left-handed batter who struggles against left-handed pitching, you start the game with a right-handed pitcher so that batter gets the start.

Then after going through the batting order once you switch to a left-handed pitcher which either gives you an advantage over that batter if they leave him in or forces the team to pinch-hit for him with a right-handed batter. Then after that pitcher gets through the order one time, you switch back to a right-handed pitcher.

The strategy is rather simple though. If you have a pitcher who cannot make it through 9 batters, that's fine too. The goal is for each pitcher to pitch to up to 9 batters, but never more than 9 unless you have a proven statistical advantage between the pitcher and the first batter the second time around.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think you are going to see even more changes in the coming years to MLB.

More and more teams are using statistical probabilities in their line-ups, pitching match-ups, etc. where in the past they were usually only used when scouting and signing free agents.

Take a look at the Dodgers for example. Most of their position players are not every day players for them. On other teams they would be, but the Dodgers set their roster dynamically based on the other team's starting pitcher.

The biggest change I predict will happen to MLB though will be teams using single-batting order pitchers where they have each pitcher go through the other team's batting order one time, then they get replaced.

The reason for this is that batters usually do better against a pitcher on their second and third at bat against them and this would take away that advantage. It's basically a diminishing returns situation.

As a bonus, it would allow pitchers to pitch more often than they do now. Instead of 5 days rest, most pitchers would likely only need 3 days rest or 4 at worst.

Another advantage to this strategy is that you can force teams to go to their bench earlier in games which is a much bigger deal during the bulk of the season when they are using 25-man rosters. For example, if the other team has a power hitting left-handed batter who struggles against left-handed pitching, you start the game with a right-handed pitcher so that batter gets the start.

Then after going through the batting order once you switch to a left-handed pitcher which either gives you an advantage over that batter if they leave him in or forces the team to pinch-hit for him with a right-handed batter. Then after that pitcher gets through the order one time, you switch back to a right-handed pitcher.

The strategy is rather simple though. If you have a pitcher who cannot make it through 9 batters, that's fine too. The goal is for each pitcher to pitch to up to 9 batters, but never more than 9 unless you have a proven statistical advantage between the pitcher and the first batter the second time around.

As a former College and Minor-League pitcher, I am going to have to mull this one over. It sounds good on paper but it isn't feasible. There is more to pitching than just going out and throwing a few innings then going out in a few days and do it again.

Pitchers on off days still throw a bullpen session to keep sharp, so the sheer # of pitches is still quite high. In no way, can I see this happen over 162 games, especially without expanding the rosters.

Then there is the issue of the staff aces, you can't just use them for a short stint and call in someone else. You want your best pitchers to see the most innings and there just isn't enough quality arms out there.

Interesting idea and I will dissect it further later but it just does not seem like a good idea.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Machado showed his rear end last night in the game against the Brewers. What was he thinking. He purposely kicked the 1st basemens leg for the only reason that he was out. Some team is going to give this hot head 30 million a year. Yea, Good luck with that. Hopefully, Hader will park a 100 MPH fast ball up and in to Machado next time he gets to face him. He can just say oops, It got away from me. Putz.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As a former College and Minor-League pitcher, I am going to have to mull this one over. It sounds good on paper but it isn't feasible. There is more to pitching than just going out and throwing a few innings then going out in a few days and do it again.

Pitchers on off days still throw a bullpen session to keep sharp, so the sheer # of pitches is still quite high. In no way, can I see this happen over 162 games, especially without expanding the rosters.

Then there is the issue of the staff aces, you can't just use them for a short stint and call in someone else. You want your best pitchers to see the most innings and there just isn't enough quality arms out there.

Interesting idea and I will dissect it further later but it just does not seem like a good idea.
I am very familiar with baseball and how it works, so I understand exactly how off days for pitchers are spent. That still doesn't have any impact on what I was saying.

Some teams are already doing this with their pitchers, they are just doing variations of it right now.

In the past, the game was different. Back then, pitchers tried to complete games and were only pulled out when it looked like the batters had caught up with their pitches. These days, most teams want 6 to 7 innings out of their starting pitchers except for a few elite pitchers who can be effective longer.

Again, look at the Dodgers. They had the second lowest team ERA in baseball this season behind the Astros. How many of their pitchers met the qualifications for awards, rankings, etc. stat wise? Not a single one because they usually only want their starting pitchers to get 5 or 6 innings.

There were a couple of other teams who started their bullpen pitchers with the intent they would only pitch one or two innings before the next pitcher would come in. While this may have been done in the past, it was done back then because of injuries to starting pitchers. Teams chose to do it this season when their starting pitchers were healthy.

Things are different now and the off-day schedules of pitchers will be altered and adapted to work with concept that I am predicting.

It is really all about statistical probabilities. Teams from 10+ years ago wanted their starting pitcher to win games for them. Now, metrics dictates you focus on outs, not games when it comes to your pitching staff.

I am not saying I like this change (because I do not), but from a pure strategical standpoint combined with statistical history, it is more efficient and logical to use your pitchers when they are at their best against batters. The Dodgers have been using a modified version of this by signing several starting pitchers to be bullpen pitchers, but they are not the only team doing this.

It's all about winning, not tradition. While no one is doing what I am predicting right now, I expect we will start to see it in the coming years.

blumayne38

Reaction score
I can't stand Machado. Yelich is right, dude has always been dirty.
Dude should have got off the bag, in machado is flying to the bag he could get tripped up and or the 1st baseman hurt. Manny just checked him told him get off the bag