MNF Doubleheader -- Jaguars at Bills - Commanders at Bengals

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You said “Last time they were at the bottom of the division they took the QB position so serious they signed Drew Henson and Chad Hutchinson lol.”

I pointed out that was incorrect as they finished last in 2015-then took Dak with Romo recovering from yet another injury year and turning 36 the next season. Also Hutchinson was an UDFA and Henson was traded to us for a third rounder after failing as a baseball player. Not exactly much more significant of a draft investment.
Ok. So last time they took the QB position they used a comp pick after being last in the division…..I guess that wording is better? I just thought when we say take the QB position we meant use a high pick…..

Blitzen

Reaction score
Ok. So last time they took the QB position they used a comp pick after being last in the division…..I guess that wording is better? I just thought when we say take the QB position we meant use a high pick…..

I think context matters. The Cowboys were obviously looking to take a QB that 2016 draft, but were not that in love with any of them. They did not try to move up from 4th overall for Wentz or Goff. They also did not want Lynch or Cook enough to make a more substantial offer.

I think that is sometimes the best decision, but most GM’s don’t have much time to prove worthy of their job. They have a handful of years to get the team off the ground even if the previous front office left them with next to zero draft or roster assets. The QB pick gets forced too often with the high pick and chaos ensues. Just because the QB position is very important does not mean the pick should be forced-even if the team has no viable starter.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I think context matters. The Cowboys were obviously looking to take a QB that 2016 draft, but were not that in love with any of them. They did not try to move up from 4th overall for Wentz or Goff. They also did not want Lynch or Cook enough to make a more substantial offer.

I think that is sometimes the best decision, but most GM’s don’t have much time to prove worthy of their job. They have a handful of years to get the team off the ground even if the previous front office left them with next to zero draft or roster assets. The QB pick gets forced too often with the high pick and chaos ensues. Just because the QB position is very important does not mean the pick should be forced-even if the team has no viable starter.
Jethro wanted Lynch and cook more than Dak
think on that

gtb1943

Reaction score
True, but Jerry did completely overhaul the draft room, scouts, and general team construction philosophy. They are definitely not perfect (and can still have a bad year), but have come a pretty long way since those days.
Actually most of the front office was the same after BP got rid of most of the scouts.
you claim jethro overhauled the team construction philsophy.
Do you have a source for that claim?

Blitzen

Reaction score
Actually most of the front office was the same after BP got rid of most of the scouts.
you claim jethro overhauled the team construction philsophy.
Do you have a source for that claim?

I’m talking about the philosophy when the Cowboys had Dave Campo as coach to now.
Over time the philosophy has changed from sign or trade to get that star free agent that’s gonna take this terrible team over the top to draft and develop (re-sign your favorites from this philosophy).

The team gets too enamored with their own players and will sign some of them at all costs (this I think comes from laziness and lack off useful knowledge of other team’s players).

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Apparently Jerry loved Wentz enough to trade the farm for him. Stephen apparently talked him out of it.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Apparently Jerry loved Wentz enough to trade the farm for him. Stephen apparently talked him out of it.

They had to talk him out of Manziel two years earlier over Martin. At least he has the ability to listen when everyone else disagrees.

I think he takes advantage of this act of ultimate sacrifice for the first round by abusing power in the second round. If he gets excited about a potential steal, he will ignore dozens of red flags and draft guys that have “bust” tattooed on their chest. They will not use extra draft assets to acquire the pick though.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They had to talk him out of Manziel two years earlier over Martin. At least he has the ability to listen when everyone else disagrees.

I think he takes advantage of this act of ultimate sacrifice for the first round by abusing power in the second round. If he gets excited about a potential steal, he will ignore dozens of red flags and draft guys that have “bust” tattooed on their chest. They will not use extra draft assets to acquire the pick though.
I said Wentz I meant Lynch.

Yeah it seems the compensation is what has saved us from
Certain guys. Because they love their picks…..

Steve007

Reaction score
I mean if they are going to play like they did this last Sunday then sure. It’s never about what the opposing team does. Can you run the football or stop the run? If you can’t you can’t beat Mac Jones or anyone.
Obviously the Cowboys have problems with the run. The defense has problems with running quarterbacks.