Mo Clay to Baltimore?*** signs with Jets***merged

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I don't like Claiborne. But relying on Scandrick putting in a whole year is a little foolish. Was hoping to keep Carr
Thought of the three (Carr, Claiborne or Church) they would have kept one, just for peace of mind.

Somewhat shocked that they did not even bother to compete for any of them.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
During the season: These guys are bums! Get rid of them.

Off-season after they leave: We're so screwed!
Haha. I wanted to resign Wilcox, Mo and Carr but no way do I think we are screwed. We can still sign a guy or 2 and then look to the draft. I'm a wait and see guy, Atlanta had huge contributions from rookies on defense and maybe we can do. Maybe we needed change and I'm OK with that

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Is it poor contract management? Why are all up at the same time? Should have given Carr a 1 year extension with the pay cut, last year. Eagles got a ton better at WR and Giants added Marshall. ugh.

mugsybows

Reaction score
The problem with this is that they are really far behind.

If they want to capitalize on the window of the core guys on offense, they really need to do something to jump start the defense.

They’ve missed so often on defense in the draft, they’ll need to make some trades or sign legit free agents.
i know im not a big fan of it either and they really are counting on their draft guys to pay off big, which isnt always the case especially on D, but i feel like they are doing that.

vaturkey

Reaction score
Webb formerly from Baltimore was a pretty good player for quite a few years. He was a cap casualty. Also played a bit of safety last year as well.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Haha. I wanted to resign Wilcox, Mo and Carr but no way do I think we are screwed. We can still sign a guy or 2 and then look to the draft. I'm a wait and see guy, Atlanta had huge contributions from rookies on defense and maybe we can do. Maybe we needed change and I'm OK with that

I hear what you and others are saying AND it will take time for new players to get the system, etc. I think Scandrick is done, so 3 CB's are needed.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love all of the hand wringing over losing two guys that most fans would have personally driven to DFW airport to get them out of the metroplex.

Yes, they need to add bodies to the secondary. But, let's not act as if the Cowboys lost two cogs from a dominant defense. The secondary needed upgrading ahead of time. They can look to target two hold the fort guys in Alterraun Verner and Patrick Robinson, both of whom are under 30 and have good size on the perimeter. If they want another slot/nickel corner, they can look to add Nickell Robey-Coleman. There are still options that at the very least will allow them to maintain their previous level, and they can look to the draft to add a younger guy to develop.

Exactly right.

As Rich correctly pointed out BOTH guys were brought in as press-corners with Rob Ryan here and aren't nearly as good in zone– And that's what Marinelli wants to run.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I hear what you and others are saying AND it will take time for new players to get the system, etc. I think Scandrick is done, so 3 CB's are needed.
I agree we can't rely on Scandrick anymore. I would sign Gilbert then draft a top corner and maybe a late round or udfa.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Yea, and sign me up for chicken pox, measles, and mumps...and five defensive ends and four/five cornerbacks projected to go before Dallas in the draft. Scoot over at the burn barrel...

oh yea, they'll upgrade in the draft...at the 28 pick.

Hey, the Cowboys have a great managed cash flow and what will or should be a great positive picture the next two seasons. Don't know that they will be doing as well, this season.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I believe that letting Mo, Carr, Church, and Wilcox go is a good thing. For many years, I have closely watched our secondary, both in live games and in replays. Compared to other teams, I have not seen one secondary who collectively makes fewer plays on the ball and pass breakups than the Cowboys'. I know they play a lot of off man coverage, but they gave up so many uncontested completions that it made me pull my hair out. By comparison, Nolan Carroll had 10 pass break ups by himself last year. And Anthony Brown, for a rookie, got his hands on more passes than any of those 4. I believe that our FO did us a favor here by not pursuing these 4. Even if it means taking a step back with a high-round rookie this year, we needed to hit the "reset" button for this secondary. To me, in this day of 3 step drops and QBs releasing the ball quickly (see, Brady), upgrading the secondary was even more important than upgrading the pass rush because, except for 3rd and long, there usually is not time for edge rushers to get there. We need DBs that can mirror and run with WRs, and most importantly, play the ball when it is in the air. Hopefully, we find at least one premier rookie CB who can do that. If so, with OScan one more year removed from ACL, Brown taking a leap in his second year, and Carroll's experience, we will be fine.
Perfectly put.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I dont understand them. We all wanted carr And mo gone last year. Along with wilcox. Lets not pretend we didnt..
Front end, there was still chances to improve in that picture...now, and you say you don't understand?