Mo Clay to Baltimore?*** signs with Jets***merged

Bowdown27

Reaction score
This year's draft is DB heavy with super talented guys. I think we will be okay.
Agreed. I meant immediately like draft or cheaper free agents. Not just go into the season with our same ole get beat dbs but supposedly they're perfectly fine letting Wilcox and church walk. So we'll see what goes. Day one of the NFL new year in the books

MikeT22

Reaction score
Its hilarious watching all the panic going on over losing a bunch of JAGs.

All these guys were on the field against Green Bay and did jack, so why is it so important to keep them?

Just blow it up and start over, the entire defensive unit sucks as is

The problem is trying to find 3 players to replace them with in one season, especially if we end up mainly just relying on the draft or bargain basement FA's.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We are not going to draft two starting caliber corners in the same draft. That has probably never happened. Now the smart thing to do is re-sign Carr or Mo and now you have 3 capable cbs in Scandrick, brown, and Mo/Carr and then you can hope for another in the draft. You shouldn't go into a draft thinking no problem we need two CB's. That mentality got us in trouble in the early 2000's.

I don't think you need to draft starters. You have Scandrick. Draft someone on the other side of him. Bring Mo back if the price is right. Same goes for Carr.

No, you don't go into a draft thinking all you need is two CB's but at the same time it doesn't matter who's at corner if you
We been playing without Mo for a while now. Not loosing anything there. Losing Carr would hurt.

I'd pay Mo based on potential. He's gotten better each year he's been he's gotten hurt. Just like Sean Lee did earlier in his career. Sean Lee has been relatively healthy and we have him on a pretty good contract. I'd take the same risk with Mo.

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
Agreed. I meant immediately like draft or cheaper free agents. Not just go into the season with our same ole get beat dbs but supposedly they're perfectly fine letting Wilcox and church walk. So we'll see what goes. Day one of the NFL new year in the books

Very few college DB excel during their 1st few years....no matter the depth

Not saying it can't happen.....but we're going awfully young out back next year.

The question will be can they do better than the bar that we've set in previous years -which is more like a limbo contest of late

black label

Reaction score
Hilarious to think the traditionally tough Ravens defense would want to bring on a guy like Claiborne.
julian-edelmann-breaking-cowboys-ankles.gif

:laugh:

plasticman

Reaction score
Claiborne represents an enormous investment on the Cowboy's part and they got next to nothing for it.

I really can't call it poor scouting as much as it was just bad luck, the guy couldn't stay healthy. You will find many examples throughout Cowboy draft history where they drafted a player with great potential, one that looked promising on the field, they just couldn't stay on the field.

Immediate examples would include Mike Sherrard, Jimmy Smith, and Billy Cannon.

Law of averages for high 1st round picks say Claiborne will eventually pan out and contribute but the Cowboys just can't afford to take that chance, certainly not at the price I think he will be getting in this contract.

It leaves the Cowboys bare at DB, theoretically, but those are the circumstances that create heroes. I recall the 1981 season in which top round busts like Aaron Mitchell and Aaron Kyle were replaced by undrafted rookies who set a Cowboy INT record.

Everson Walls and Michael Downs were the product of competition and opportunity, two key ingredients in Garrett's "process".

Who thought that the loss of Tony Romo would result in the opposite effect it had the previous year?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Claiborne represents an enormous investment on the Cowboy's part and they got next to nothing for it.

I really can't call it poor scouting as much as it was just bad luck, the guy couldn't stay healthy. You will find many examples throughout Cowboy draft history where they drafted a player with great potential, one that looked promising on the field, they just couldn't stay on the field.

Immediate examples would include Mike Sherrard, Jimmy Smith, and Billy Cannon.

Law of averages for high 1st round picks say Claiborne will eventually pan out and contribute but the Cowboys just can't afford to take that chance, certainly not at the price I think he will be getting in this contract.

It leaves the Cowboys bare at DB, theoretically, but those are the circumstances that create heroes. I recall the 1981 season in which top round busts like Aaron Mitchell and Aaron Kyle were replaced by undrafted rookies who set a Cowboy INT record.

Everson Walls and Michael Downs were the product of competition and opportunity, two key ingredients in Garrett's "process".

Who thought that the loss of Tony Romo would result in the opposite effect it had the previous year?

Poor scouting. Never brought him in for an interview. Didnt get a good feel of who he was as a person; fragile psyche, intelligence, et cetera. Film showed he had a clear aversion for tackling which carried right on into the pros.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Time for everyone to bash on Claiborne to feel better about ourselves. Let's just ignore the fact we drafted this guy, invested the time to develop him and he was showing a lot of upside. Just freaking dandy!

jrumann59

Reaction score
comparing him to Sean lee is laughable. Sean showed flashes and consistency even in limited playing time. If someone wants to give Mo a blockbuster deal then let them. He has shown flashes of what he could be, only to take step back due to a long lingering injury. I would rather have have two middle of the road guys for 16 games than a promising Mo for 6.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Time for everyone to bash on Claiborne to feel better about ourselves. Let's just ignore the fact we drafted this guy, invested the time to develop him and he was showing a lot of upside. Just freaking dandy!

Meh. Can't help the club in the tub. 2 draft picks wasted on him and dlaw.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Bethea can replace Church. I'm confident in the front office.
I think a lot of people can replace church. The only thing I hear that may be hard is the "leadership" but I never saw any of that, if he was so keen on leadership maybe Wilcox would have become more of a guided missile

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
I think a lot of people can replace church. The only thing I hear that may be hard is the "leadership" but I never saw any of that, if he was so keen on leadership maybe Wilcox would have become more of a guided missile
Bethea is a vet with reported leadership as well. And he has a history of actually being an impact player. I'm sure he knows how to line guys up in this simple defense lol

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Poor scouting. Never brought him in for an interview. Didnt get a good feel of who he was as a person; fragile psyche, intelligence, et cetera. Film showed he had a clear aversion for tackling which carried right on into the pros.
"pour scouting"

He was almost universally viewed as the top defensive player in the draft.

Bad luck on health.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Has Mo actually made it a complete season without missing games due to injury?

I think he has missed games in every freaking season since we drafted him.

And you guys want to pay him top dollar?