Moore might be the missing link

817Gill

Reaction score
I would prefer them both not to be employed by this team
I see you with JG but you gotta give Moore an honest chance before being out on him too. His history and rep up to this point suggest someone who can free the offense up a little

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would prefer them both not to be employed by this team
I agree about Garrett but haven't seen Moore yet so that's not really fair. And since I don't know what other OC was available and wanted Linehan gone, several years back, I am wait and see on Moore.

And while the young man is inexperienced, that does not mean he does not have a keen understanding of offensive football, down and distance ball and situational football. What is the value of experience if an OC still gets schooled by a DC? And that happens every Sunday and that happened to Payton and Reid, two of the better OC's in the game.

I guess the deal on Moore is how close do you feel the team is and can they use a year or two of Moore growing into the job? He will make mistakes and often get blamed for execution, not the play called, but he's got to get experience somewhere, might as well be here. I do not think this is the year, always seems to be next year, doesn't it?

If I felt the Cowboys were poised on the edge to take that next step this season then I might be opposed to an inexperienced OC trying his wings here but I still think the Cowboys are on the outside looking in on the Big Dance.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I see you with JG but you gotta give Moore an honest chance before being out on him too. His history and rep up to this point suggest someone who can free the offense up a little
I agree about Garrett but haven't seen Moore yet so that's not really fair. And since I don't know what other OC was available and wanted Linehan gone, several years back, I am wait and see on Moore.

And while the young man is inexperienced, that does not mean he does not have a keen understanding of offensive football, down and distance ball and situational football. What is the value of experience if an OC still gets schooled by a DC? And that happens every Sunday and that happened to Payton and Reid, two of the better OC's in the game.

I guess the deal on Moore is how close do you feel the team is and can they use a year or two of Moore growing into the job? He will make mistakes and often get blamed for execution, not the play called, but he's got to get experience somewhere, might as well be here. I do not think this is the year, always seems to be next year, doesn't it?

If I felt the Cowboys were poised on the edge to take that next step this season then I might be opposed to an inexperienced OC trying his wings here but I still think the Cowboys are on the outside looking in on the Big Dance.
Yeh no thx. I really don't have much faith in Linehan's sex slave

817Gill

Reaction score
You know he did have a life before those 3 years with Linehan lol. He’s not exactly a part of the non-existent SL coaching tree, he’s had his own mentors and experiences before being a Cowboy.

Those 3 years won’t radically change how KM sees the game.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think, in his own lovable way, Booger was endorsing the change to Moore and acknowledging to the media that the offense was the problem in 2018. The man played the game and knows the importance of the chain of command and was not really suggesting that Moore come running to Daddy to tell him Jason won't stop looking at him.

I think we take this stuff a lot more seriously than the team does, they know that's just Booger talking, he's always talking. And I am sure he gets a lot of eye rolls and knowing nods between vet players with some of the things he says. But he is easily forgiven because he signs the checks and is the most players' owner in the NFL.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ROTFFLMAO, the visual of him as that in that leather helmet is just too much. I flashed on that scene in JFK with Tommy Lee Jones and Joe Pesci painted in gold.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
You know he did have a life before those 3 years with Linehan lol. He’s not exactly a part of the non-existent SL coaching tree, he’s had his own mentors and experiences before being a Cowboy.

Those 3 years won’t radically change how KM sees the game.
He has literally been with Linehan for every season but 1 in his entire nfl career.

Brax

Reaction score

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The burn barrel buddies are too far into passing Ripple around, to take notice. They haven't yet paid the price for the habit. Some seem to think that a preppie ring tapping is a smart practice...but drink their Ripple anyway.
:lmao::clap:

ondaedg

Reaction score
I don't care about creativity. I just want an offense that is not predictable. Predictability was our greatest weakness.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think, in his own lovable way, Booger was endorsing the change to Moore and acknowledging to the media that the offense was the problem in 2018. The man played the game and knows the importance of the chain of command and was not really suggesting that Moore come running to Daddy to tell him Jason won't stop looking at him.

I think we take this stuff a lot more seriously than the team does, they know that's just Booger talking, he's always talking. And I am sure he gets a lot of eye rolls and knowing nods between vet players with some of the things he says. But he is easily forgiven because he signs the checks and is the most players' owner in the NFL.
Yep. The Football Idiot is always playing to the media. Agree with much. I’d only add I think Jerry making the change was him simply responding to public pressure on the offense and Linehan was scapegoat for Dak.

My question is what do we really expect that Moore will bring? He’s not bringing in a new offense. Is it his play calling that’s going to be the difference? Or schemes? Do we think he’s going to magically elevate Daks passing ability? I haven’t really heard anyone speak about specifics.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yep. The Football Idiot is always playing to the media. Agree with much. I’d only add I think Jerry making the change was him simply responding to public pressure on the offense and Linehan was scapegoat for Dak.

My question is what do we really expect that Moore will bring? He’s not bringing in a new offense. Is it his play calling that’s going to be the difference? Or schemes? Do we think he’s going to magically elevate Daks passing ability? I haven’t really heard anyone speak about specifics.
They’re obviously not going to talk specifics. That would be stupid. No need to let teams prepare. You don’t know that he will not bring in a new offense.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Where can we find someone ( an OC or HC) that can elevate Daks passing ability while developing an offense which caters to his talent level and skill sets.

It might be someone in the college ranks. The first offensive brilliance who’s available that comes to mind is Art Briles. He developed one of the most dynamic offenses with less talent than we have.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They’re obviously not going to talk specifics. That would be stupid. No need to let teams prepare. You don’t know that he will not bring in a new offense.
Most OC have their own offense. Since Moore hadn’t been an OC , I’m assuming he doesn’t.

Surely it wouldn’t be too specific to state he has one? Are you saying Moore has one or is developing one?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The Cowboys have won 32 games in the last 3 seasons yet can’t get over the hump. The offense has been just good enough but the defense, minus the playoff game against the Rams, has been the best unit on the team. Linehan’s offense was old school and predictable. High school coaches were calling their plays just by looking at down and distance and how they lined up. Finally, we have a young, unknown by the league new offensive QB. I don’t think for a second it’s going to be Linehan’s offense with just some new wrinkles. His job is on the line. His reputation is on the line and Garrett is going to let him run this offense. I’m expecting a almost completely new offense. It can’t be any other way. You have to let a new offensive coordinator be the offensive coordinator. I know the Debbie Downer habitual whiners won’t agree, but that’s to be expected. They’ll say it’ll be the same ole same ole with just a couple new wrinkles. That’s what they do. Live as a pessimist.
I think you over simplifying what linehan did, although I think it was time for him to go. He couldn't adjust his offense to Dak and I think they were being protective of Dak a little too with leaning on run game, which was a good thing in 2016, but 2018 we should have figured out what we have with him....

with that said, everyone kept clamoring over how Dak did when he got Cooper, but same can be said for Linehan and Garrett offense, that without the right talent, it couldn't work. it got much better after we got cooper. amazing isn't it!

now, in regards to Moore, he may bring in some new ideas. but its not just about scheming. most of the route trees, etc. are similar in the NFL. over the past 50+ years the teams play on same size field from every down and distance and it comes down to two things, play call (which is combination of routes, personnel) and execution. Moore is green as a play caller. can he play the chess match against veteran and savvy defensive coordinators!?

I read and article last year regarding McVay, in a game against minnesotta, he called a play from a formation that didn't work in the game initially in the first half, but he did it to see how the defense would respond to his formation, later in the game he called another play from same formation knowing what the defense was going to do.....little things like this take time to learn. there is a lot more, than just what this article said which 99.99% of the fans don't understand.

can Moore understand what the defense is doing, what the defensive coordinator is doing, or is he going to get tricked. its his first year....yes, some new scheme, etc. is going to be nice. but play calling takes time and experience. he may start hot, but given a few weeks and some tape, DC will figure out how to counter him....how he responds will be key and I do expect him to falter......

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Garrett can't let him do anything when JJ made it clear KM is to report to him if Garrett does anything to interfere. Garrett has been neutered again.
tha't jerry meddling and its never good. jerry wanted Garrett to hand the OC reigns to Callhan, Garrett didn't want to give it to him specifically...he was forced to and results were disasterous.....Callhan maybe a good OL coach, but not a good OC.....Garrett brough linehan, but there were rumors after season that garrett wanted to replace linehan in 2017, but Jerry over ruled..... we saw how it turned out.....jerry meddling is never any good. it has been a disaster for 25 years.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Most OC have their own offense. Since Moore hadn’t been an OC , I’m assuming he doesn’t.

Surely it wouldn’t be too specific to state he has one? Are you saying Moore has one or is developing one?
good point. he may bring in some new wrinkles from his personal play book, but the key is play calling. he is very green.