Moore's first task as OC is getting rid of jumbo running packages Garrett likes

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What we saw vs the Giants is likely what we will mostly see from the Moore/ Garrett/ Nussmeier braintrust in game planning. It will then be interesting to see how Moore calls an actual game, how he adjusts during games and what he sticks with when it gets tough.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We played Smash Mouth football because they did not want to overexpose this young defense.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What we saw vs the Giants is likely what we will mostly see from the Moore/ Garrett/ Nussmeier braintrust in game planning. It will then be interesting to see how Moore calls an actual game, how he adjusts during games and what he sticks with when it gets tough.
I can only hope they turn Prescott loose and don't wait until the 4th quarter. I truly believe they did not want to leave this younger starting defense in the league on the field. Overexpose them

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score

Hmmm. That was an offense without Zeke. Pretty sure he alters how you game plan. I'm not sure what we saw against the Giants, anyway, besides Jarwin being featured. I don't expect to see a ton of that going forward. Honestly? I think we treated that Giants game like a preseason game on stilts. Took it as an opportunity to feature guys that normally don't get featured but, instead of going vanilla, tried some stuff on in our game planning to see what might work in a 'real' game.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
getting rid of the jumbo running packages that Garrett likes and spreading the defense out with 3 and 4wr sets. It's a common myth that we have a steamrolling type of OL when in reality they are more technically sound than any line in the NFL. Use that and let DBs tackle Zeke rather than LBers.

Power bunch formations stopped working in 1996.

Is this a hope or a dream or did you actually read this somewhere?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I've decided I buy-in to the idea that it would really be cool if this site had a board dedicated solely to the anti-authority (anti-HC, anti-FO) crowd around here. I don't think there's actually that many of them, but they're just so passionate. They deserve their own space where they can enjoy each other's company, imo.

No, its actually the entire board save ONE guy. EVERYONE else in Cowboy fan land wants Garrett out of here.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
One thing I noticed re-watching some games recently is that teams liked to leave one more defender in the box than we had blocker for. If we were in 1 back 1 TE, they'd put 7 defenders in the box. If we were 4 wide spread, they'd leave 6 defenders in the box. If we went power set with 3 TEs, they'd load the hell up. But they were always going to leave one more guy coming for Zeke than we had a blocker for. So saying that Zeke didn't face a bunch of 8 man boxes doesn't really tell the whole story - he was constantly running into negative scripts. The jumbo packages are especially stupid because putting 3 bad blocking TEs on the field simultaneously isn't going to help anything, but they were only part of the problem.

IMO, until we can get a TE that can beat soft coverage and make them pay for cheating up a safety or LB, we're going to see a similar scenario regardless of the OC.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
For example, I just continued on one of the Cowboys games that I had watched part way through, and looked at a random run play. This is vs the Buccaneers.

15567535612026674.gif

Cowboys are in 11 personnel with Schultz as the TE. Right before the snap, the Buccaneers walk their SS down into the box to make it a 7 man front vs 6 blockers. It looks like the Cowboys are trying to run left side between the LG and LT, but the Bucs LBs anticipate that and trigger downhill to fill it pretty much immediately. Zeke sees the hole isn't there and cuts back straight into the unblocked man, who is the SS. He gets hit at the line but drags #31 for a 6 yard gain.

Most RBs would have got no gain there, either charging straight ahead into a hole that wasn't there, or getting taken down by the SS for a minimal gain. Zeke takes a blown play and turns it into 6 yards anyway.

But that play was blown because we were running to into a negative situation with LBs who looked like they were anticipating a 1st down run on the left side - either they were, or the DC called a run biltz and he was. That predictability is what kills us.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
And here's two plays after the run above. Zeke caught an 8 yard pass to set up 1st and goal.

1556754548393211.gif

The Cowboys are in shotgun 3 wide with 6 blockers. The Buccaneers load up an 8 man box, so the Bucs are going to have two unblocked defenders. See how the nickel CB's lined up way inside - he's either tipping off a blitz or banking on Beasley running a slant route. And a nickel blitz it is - he shoots through Elliott's gap untouched and hits him two yards behind the line of scrimmage.

Now Zeke's "stat line" for these plays is going to say "2 rushes, 6 yards, 3 YPC." What it should say is "2 carries, 8 yards created after contact, and hit behind the LOS twice because my inept OC keeps running plays that the defenses already sees coming."

Then the 2nd and goal play was a reverse to Amari Cooper that Jason Pierre-Paul blew up for a 7 yard loss, and 3rd and goal was a checkdown to Beasley that fell just short and led to us kicking a 20 yard field goal. Everything in this video already happened 5 months ago and watching it again still makes me angry.

Last edited:

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
And here's two plays after the run above. Zeke caught an 8 yard pass to set up 1st and goal.

1556754548393211.gif

The Cowboys are in shotgun 3 wide with 6 blockers. The Buccaneers load up an 8 man box, so the Bucs are going to have two unblocked defenders. See how the nickel CB's lined up way inside - he's either tipping off a blitz or banking on Beasley running a slant route. And a nickel blitz it is - he shoots through Elliott's gap untouched and hits him two yards behind the line of scrimmage.

Now Zeke's "stat line" for these plays is going to say "2 rushes, 6 yards, 3 YPC." What it should say is "2 carries, 8 yards created after contact, and hit behind the LOS twice because my inept OC keeps running plays that the defenses already sees coming."

Then the 2nd and goal play was a reverse to Amari Cooper that Jason Pierre-Paul blew up for a 7 yard loss, and 3rd and goal was a checkdown to Beasley that fell just short and led to us kicking a 20 yard field goal. Everything in this video already happened 5 months ago, and watching it again still makes me angry.
There was nothing worse than that reverse call

ondaedg

Reaction score

1556754548393211.gif

Then the 2nd and goal play was a reverse to Amari Cooper that Jason Pierre-Paul blew up for a 7 yard loss, and 3rd and goal was a checkdown to Beasley that fell just short and led to us kicking a 20 yard field goal. Everything in this video already happened 5 months ago and watching it again still makes me angry.

Predictability is a career ender for most coaches in this league. We've overcome some of it with talented players. But those are great examples of teams identifying weaknesses and our coaches unable to counter. The 2 and 3 TE packages we run rarely give us a push and they're just telling DCs to send in their defensive jumbo package. Might as well bring a rope out there and challenge them to a tug of war.

Flamma

Reaction score
MO our best 11 would include 3 receivers (depending on how good Pollard is) and we should have a heavy dose of those formations and try to run and pass with the same "looks".

That would be nice. That was my main complaint about their offense. I usually knew when Dallas was passing/running based on formation.