FEATURED Morning Pops!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good Monday Morning to the Pops crew.

Last night, one hell of a storm blew through here with winds clocked at 70 mph, 4 more and that's a hurricane, and I live in an area with lots of palm trees and it looked like a hurricane outside and I thought I saw Humphrey Bogart, dressed as he was in Key Largo, but I know it wasn't him because he's often outside my patio door dressed in Hawaiian shirt, cargo shorts and flip flops or that's a reflection. Sometimes, he'll say "we had it all babe" and this makes me nervous when an apparition calls me "babe". But, I respond to him "of all the gin joints, you had to land on the patio of this one" and he usually goes away after a couple of hours.

Speaking of birds, and several of us were, I have a lot in my area with my favorite being this nice Cardinal couple because he is beautiful bright red and she's rather drab and I think it's nice he didn't marry her for her looks cuz homely birds need love too. I've got my hummingbirds that I feed...…..to the neighbor's cat. Nooooo, just kidding, I love my little guys and they love me because they come right up to the feeder......after they're sure I've driven off and am out of sight.

Anyway, birds are interesting creatures as size doesn't intimidate them. I see them chasing crows and hawks all the time and saw one chase a hawk for a good minute higher and higher yesterday as I tended their departed cousin on my grill. So, I guess I need to amend my comment on size doesn't intimidate them, see crows and hawks.

Anyway, all y'all make this a good week and you'll notice I said "make" not "have". You are not necessarily in charge of what happens but you are in charge of you and how you process what happens. Corso has already shamed us into doing something for our fellow human beings and he has infected me with the spirit as well. I am going to avoid as many of them as I can today, the best gift I can give them.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good morning Pops and Zoner Friends,

Well, we are in the home stretch with the grand-kid's visit. Although the main cat and both back-up cats will, undoubtedly, welcome their departure, we are really going to miss them. There is a decided energy and unpredictability with pre-teen grand-kids that makes for a fun and exciting day. Have to admit, I sleep like the dead each evening. :)

Good suggestion, @Runwildboys , for the Frisbee. I had a couple of old Frisbee's in the garage which we played with yesterday. You would have thought we had just given them the keys to the kingdom... I am not sure they have ever played with a Frisbee before and, given their short attention spans (a trait, possibly, inherited from my side of the family) I wasn't sure they would enjoy it, but they certainly did.

@Corso, I admire your support of the women's shelter. We routinely donate money and articles to Salvation Army and, while that is a very worthwhile cause, it often misses the feeling of getting truly involved with charity. Kudos!

@Coach, I miss kolaches! I remember as a child and later, as an adult, making stops in Fredricksburg just for the kolaches. Alas, like cheese, i have sworn off gluten. Interestingly enough, I finally found a non-gluten flour product that results in pretty darn good pancakes!

I am in the market for a new BBQ grill; my 10 year old Kitchen Aid finally passed to the big grill master in the sky. I actually thought seriously about a wood-fired pellet smoker, but have been turned-off by the many complaints about temperature fluctuations. Anyway, I will probably stick to a gas grill. When we built our home a couple of year's ago, I piped natural gas outlets to a 3 different locations on our deck and patio in the anticipation doing away with butane. Now, I finally get to live the dream.

Have a great week everyone... and, remember, everyone has to be somewhere!
Colo, and I would address you as CC but some here would accuse me of talking to myself again, I am also going for a new grill. It is time to get all about quality instead of size as I, so often, reminded my wife. I've had really large grills and it's time to buy my last grill and the only way to do that is go for the gold or die quickly.

I investigated those pellet grills and came away with a bad impression. Any compression of the wood, some from sawdust, gives a funky taste to the meat. My son has a Weber Genesis from 10 years ago when they had the lifetime warranty, now it's 10 years, and they just sent him a new lid and all new burners for free and paid the shipping. He said their customer service is exemplary.

I must stay away from the BBQ specialty stores as I am an easy target and if they have a half good sales pitch, I feel obligated to buy. Remind me to tell you the story of the kid selling door to door sometime.

Anyway, where was I? Or better yet, where will I be? Lowe's later this morning putting my outdoor living package together which begins with the Genesis with the stainless grill grates, a must, and side burner for when firing up a stogie and my lighter runs out and I get tired of my eyebrows. Haven't decided on the 3 or 4 burner as I cook for one but I will give the salesperson the opportunity to sell me up. I am so, unashamedly, easy. Good thing I wasn't a woman, I might not have been easy but I could have been tricked.

I am also getting a Weber charcoal grill as I miss that and it sounded stupid when I told my son about the convenience of gas over charcoal and he asked me "what else do you have to do with your time, you're retired"? When I can think of a snappy comeback to that, I am going to text him because I am too hurt to speak to him after outing my laziness. For some items, burgers and steaks, charcoal is really the way to go. But I do like using my gas grill or smoker as an outdoor oven when the summer hits here.

Man + fire = happiness. I feel my caveman roots come out when I work with real fire as I sit around it grunting and trying to think of a round object that might make travel easier. Plus I look cool in my loincloth that I made out of the pork loin squishy thingy they had wrapped around it but that leads to too much crotch sniffing by my dogs so I have to stay outside most of the time.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Morning Pops. Morning Fellas and good morning to any and all who stop in and visit this thread.

Man, lots of activity in the thread over the weekend! I hope everybody had some great stuff going on.

Jobs, Leon, dbrp, Xelda, zrin, Trouty, ksk, RGV, Coach, RWB, Ranching, SW, John, Jan, Corso and Colo, welcome to another work week. Half over already so we are well on our way to one down and 4 to go!

Father's Day coming up this weekend folks so be sure to get your grills in good working order, just in case it's not you Dads who are working the tongs this weekend. ;)

Everybody, have a great start to the week!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Colo, and I would address you as CC but some here would accuse me of talking to myself again, I am also going for a new grill. It is time to get all about quality instead of size as I, so often, reminded my wife. I've had really large grills and it's time to buy my last grill and the only way to do that is go for the gold or die quickly.

I investigated those pellet grills and came away with a bad impression. Any compression of the wood, some from sawdust, gives a funky taste to the meat. My son has a Weber Genesis from 10 years ago when they had the lifetime warranty, now it's 10 years, and they just sent him a new lid and all new burners for free and paid the shipping. He said their customer service is exemplary.

I must stay away from the BBQ specialty stores as I am an easy target and if they have a half good sales pitch, I feel obligated to buy. Remind me to tell you the story of the kid selling door to door sometime.

Anyway, where was I? Or better yet, where will I be? Lowe's later this morning putting my outdoor living package together which begins with the Genesis with the stainless grill grates, a must, and side burner for when firing up a stogie and my lighter runs out and I get tired of my eyebrows. Haven't decided on the 3 or 4 burner as I cook for one but I will give the salesperson the opportunity to sell me up. I am so, unashamedly, easy. Good thing I wasn't a woman, I might not have been easy but I could have been tricked.

I am also getting a Weber charcoal grill as I miss that and it sounded stupid when I told my son about the convenience of gas over charcoal and he asked me "what else do you have to do with your time, you're retired"? When I can think of a snappy comeback to that, I am going to text him because I am too hurt to speak to him after outing my laziness. For some items, burgers and steaks, charcoal is really the way to go. But I do like using my gas grill or smoker as an outdoor oven when the summer hits here.

Man + fire = happiness. I feel my caveman roots come out when I work with real fire as I sit around it grunting and trying to think of a round object that might make travel easier. Plus I look cool in my loincloth that I made out of the pork loin squishy thingy they had wrapped around it but that leads to too much crotch sniffing by my dogs so I have to stay outside most of the time.
Tell your son cooking with gas is safer, because you can shut it off, and it's harder to spill it on your sleeve than charcoal lighter fluid.

Cowboys_22

Reaction score
Good afternoon Pops and friends. I’m Building a planter today (24x16) I’m using the scrap fence pickets. It’s coming out ok. My daughter says I should sell them but then it would be a job. Retirement is so much better.

My fave tape measure (25’ Husky)lost its ability to recoil so I took it apart to see if I could savage it. It’s in the trash now. The 12’ Lufkin is back in the starting lineup.

I hope everyone is having a good Monday.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tell your son cooking with gas is safer, because you can shut it off, and it's harder to spill it on your sleeve than charcoal lighter fluid.
Don't use the lighter fluid, I either use a chimney starter and I still have my electric one from my Big Green Egg days. I raised that boy up right, caveman style, he's got a smoker, charcoal and gas grills.

But you are right about the safer part except that's how I first met my neighbors and fire department in Baton Rouge, after assembling a gas grill EXACTLY by the instructions. I returned it the next day and got a large charcoal grill. My neighbors were glad and had volunteered to buy me one if they didn't let me exchange the one I sacrificed to the god of hellfire but it had to be a charcoal one, no flammable liquids.

One of the challenges down here with charcoal grills is when they establish a burn ban because of drought conditions. And my patio backs up to the boulevard in plain sight of the authorities.

When I lived in OK, the two worst wildfires in the state one year were caused by people ignoring the burn ban and one idiot actually wheeled his grill out onto the dry grass and left it unattended.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good afternoon Pops and friends. I’m Building a planter today (24x16) I’m using the scrap fence pickets. It’s coming out ok. My daughter says I should sell them but then it would be a job. Retirement is so much better.

My fave tape measure (25’ Husky)lost its ability to recoil so I took it apart to see if I could savage it. It’s in the trash now. The 12’ Lufkin is back in the starting lineup.

I hope everyone is having a good Monday.
See there! See there!! I have one of those Husky 25 footers too and have never pulled it out for fear of that exact thing happening. And people think I am just lazy or don't know how to DIY.

I'd build me one of those planters but ya know what I'd have to do next? Yep, plant some stuff. And these precious little typing digits ain't getting dirty. And I'm not getting a scarecrow because of "Jeepers Creepers".

My little AeroGarden is going nuts, damned thing is putting out more herbs than I can use and the next time I order some, I'm ordering ones that I actually use. My neighbor saw it and thought it was really cool since it only uses water. I told her the neatest thing about it was when I am farming, I don't have to wear farm attire (but I would definitely rock that look on crossdressing weekends as the woman on the corn flakes box), I can wear my wet suit.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Don't use the lighter fluid, I either use a chimney starter and I still have my electric one from my Big Green Egg days. I raised that boy up right, caveman style, he's got a smoker, charcoal and gas grills.

But you are right about the safer part except that's how I first met my neighbors and fire department in Baton Rouge, after assembling a gas grill EXACTLY by the instructions. I returned it the next day and got a large charcoal grill. My neighbors were glad and had volunteered to buy me one if they didn't let me exchange the one I sacrificed to the god of hellfire but it had to be a charcoal one, no flammable liquids.

One of the challenges down here with charcoal grills is when they establish a burn ban because of drought conditions. And my patio backs up to the boulevard in plain sight of the authorities.

When I lived in OK, the two worst wildfires in the state one year were caused by people ignoring the burn ban and one idiot actually wheeled his grill out onto the dry grass and left it unattended.
I had an equally eventful first meeting with our neighbors when we moved in a couple of year's ago. First, due to heavy snow and ice, I slide off our driveway into the adjacent ditch. While a couple of neighbors were trying to pull me out, my wife thought she would so inside the house. Unfortunately, she forgot the alarm was activated and then forgot the pass code.

So, with house alarms blaring, wheels spinning hopelessly in the snow, and neighbors watching in bewilderment, the police arrive.

In hindsight, I guess it was an inexpensive way to meet the neighborhood.

Xelda

Reaction score
Evening Pops and friends. I thought I'd read the Bible this morning and was met with a scripture about doing yard work. I decided this wasn't the right chapter for me so I went to another one and it told me to do yard work as well. Two separate messages put the fear of God in me and I headed outside. It was hot! With God smiling down on me, I managed to get a decent amount done without a single bug bite. I guess the "go forth and shop" verses have been ripped out of my good book.

And my patio backs up to the boulevard in plain sight of the authorities.
As God intended.

Have a good evening everyone.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Morning, Pops, and all you nice people. I hauled and stacked almost 2 tons (one pallet) of limestone blocks yesterday for the water wall and pond I'm building. A few days ago I set a personal best and likely world record by getting in and out of Costco for less than $10. Y'all have a great day.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Morning Pops!

Getting some rain last night and this morning, which is surprising, because I spread Grub-ex over my while yard in anticipation of the rain helping me out, so I wouldn't have to run my well dry, watering it. I was about 50% certain the rain would miss my house, just out of spite. I guess those flowers I gave Mother Nature won her over.

Here's hoping y'all have as much luck today!

GrammaJan

Reaction score
Morning Pops and everyone.

Today is a big day, or maybe more so this evening is the bigger deal. Paul McCartney is in town tonight for a concert. Not going. Not interested quite frankly. I'd rather keep that money in my pocket, plus, not a big fan of The Beatles. I like his music, just not interested. It's going to be ridiculous later traffic-wise, so my boss is parking his car near the venue this afternoon and has asked me to be the cabbie for he and his wife to get them there this evening. One of the jobs that fall under the category "and anything else I should happen to think of". I've got nothing else going on tonight so might as well score some points.

On to bigger news (to me at least), my grandsons in Virginia both had really good baseball seasons. This past weekend the younger one's team took second place for the season, and the older one's team won the championship:yourock:! Sure wish I could've been there. For those of you with kids or grandkids in sports you know the feeling... I'm fairly ready to pop from the pride:D. Money well spent on my part I'd say. Aaaand my daughter's new beau put in an offer on a house and it got accepted! My trip in October that was supposed to be to help them move is now going to be strictly to visit. I was looking forward to the physical work so now I'll have to figure something else out I guess.

And now for the reality check...time to get to work. Going to be a long week. Can't wait till it's over. At least the weather is going to be decent. In fact, we hit the weather jackpot. Today will be about 80, but the rest of the week upper 60's to low-mid 70's during the day and 50's at night. Love it! I'm sure next week we'll get back to the ridiculous humidity, but for now I'll enjoy it. Have a great day all.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Morning Pops. Morning Fellas and good morning to all who stop this way to read this thread.

Yard work, the bane of my existence. That is all I have to say on the subject.

Boy is here with me this morning. We are watching Moana, he is eating Animal Crackers and I am drinking Coffee. Will get up and make some French Toast in a few minutes and he can have a proper Breakfast.

Congrats to those Boys Jan. Some of my most fond memories are of Baseball as a Boy.

Jobs, Leon, dbrp, Xelda, zrin, Trouty, ksk, RGV, Coach, RWB, Ranching, SW, John, Jan, Corso and Colo, hope you are all doing well today.

Everyone, have a great Tuesday!

Cowboys_22

Reaction score
Evening Pops and friends. I thought I'd read the Bible this morning and was met with a scripture about doing yard work. I decided this wasn't the right chapter for me so I went to another one and it told me to do yard work as well. Two separate messages put the fear of God in me and I headed outside. It was hot! With God smiling down on me, I managed to get a decent amount done without a single bug bite. I guess the "go forth and shop" verses have been ripped out of my good book.

As God intended.

Have a good evening everyone.

Good morning Pops and friends.

Xelda, I bet your yard looks real nice. My wife spends a lot of time in the yard also. She loves flowers. They are everywhere. The other morning she noticed that some of the leaves on her canna lily plant had been eaten overnight. So I did some investigating and noticed that some of the leaves had been rolled like a taco. I unrolled and found the culprit. Low and behold the caterpillars are called Leaf Rollers and some scientific name I wouldn’t even try to pronounce. I found 7. I cut the leaves off and threw them in a pile of brush that the city picked up later. They are probably in caterpillar heaven by now. I mixed some cayenne pepper with water and sprayed on the plant. If it kills it the plant, I’ll blame the caterpillar. If it blooms again, I’ll take credit. Win win ;)

They better stay away from my orange tree. I’ll set up camp next to it if necessary. :cool:

Have a great day everyone.

Cowboys_22

Reaction score
Morning Pops and everyone.

Today is a big day, or maybe more so this evening is the bigger deal. Paul McCartney is in town tonight for a concert. Not going. Not interested quite frankly. I'd rather keep that money in my pocket, plus, not a big fan of The Beatles. I like his music, just not interested. It's going to be ridiculous later traffic-wise, so my boss is parking his car near the venue this afternoon and has asked me to be the cabbie for he and his wife to get them there this evening. One of the jobs that fall under the category "and anything else I should happen to think of". I've got nothing else going on tonight so might as well score some points.

On to bigger news (to me at least), my grandsons in Virginia both had really good baseball seasons. This past weekend the younger one's team took second place for the season, and the older one's team won the championship:yourock:! Sure wish I could've been there. For those of you with kids or grandkids in sports you know the feeling... I'm fairly ready to pop from the pride:D. Money well spent on my part I'd say. Aaaand my daughter's new beau put in an offer on a house and it got accepted! My trip in October that was supposed to be to help them move is now going to be strictly to visit. I was looking forward to the physical work so now I'll have to figure something else out I guess.

And now for the reality check...time to get to work. Going to be a long week. Can't wait till it's over. At least the weather is going to be decent. In fact, we hit the weather jackpot. Today will be about 80, but the rest of the week upper 60's to low-mid 70's during the day and 50's at night. Love it! I'm sure next week we'll get back to the ridiculous humidity, but for now I'll enjoy it. Have a great day all.

Baseball is fun when the grandkids are playing. I get very nervous when they come up to bat. Of course you want them to get a hit every time but sometimes you strikeout. That’s life.
I’ve seen kids look back at the ump on questionable strikes. I hope one my grandkids never does that. His grandpa will not be a happy camper. Never show up the umps or your opponents.
Now opponent fans, that’s a different story :muttley:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good morning Pops and yardbirds. All of this talk about yard work, flowers and insects has made me feel guilty about being such a yard lout. So, I have decided to turn over a new leaf, a yardpun. I will no longer read posts about that.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I had it my way CC, my yard would be artificial turf and plastic flowers.
I do like plants and flowers but I have mine in pots and hanging baskets and my first venture into pepper farming is looking fine. I have 6 plants, in pots, and all have peppers. I bought some of those little gizmos that tell you when the plants need water but got tired of being nagged and tossed them.