FEATURED Morning Pops!

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Good morning Pops and Zoner Friends,

Are all of you ready for Christmas? I don't mean just completing the Christmas shopping and decorating, but do you "feel" the Christmas spirit? Often, admid all the hustle and bustle of the season, the full impact of Christmas doesn't hit me until Christmas Eve. And, no, I am not a Scrooge - quite the opposite, actually.

Not this year, though. We were able to visit all the grandkids earlier this month (not our "turn" to host the grandkids for Christmas). They opened their presents during our visit, we had a big pre-Christmas Christmas dinner with each and we took each set of kids to a local theater for a Christmas play. A far different, but spiritually uplifting lead-up to the actual day.

Although Thanksgiving is the traditional day to give thanks, my wife and I have a lot to be thankful for this year. I hope you do as well.

On to the weekend!!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good morning Pops and those still awaiting the Christmas spirit. Colo has already felt it and I hope it does descend on me but it's not been the same for many years and I do my best to just get through it. I will spend Christmas Eve and morning in Austin with my two sons, daughter-in-law and three grandkids but it will be a struggle because my parents, wife and my daughter-in-law's Mom are all gone and that's when those holes in our lives are the hardest to fill. You can focus on the children just so much and that becomes a double edged sword because I find myself imagining my wife with the two grandchildren she never got to meet and how she would be spoiling that little 4 year old granddaughter. There are moments that I see my family feeling what I am feeling but we do not discuss it. It's as if we could no longer hold it in if we were to bring it up.

However, I have a new plan of attack for next year. The first 3 years after my wife passed away, I ignored Christmas as best I could, no decorations, no movies, no music and slowly I've been coming around. We used to be Christmas crazy and it took 2 full days just to put the North Pole village up and I've got a storage facility in Dallas filled with decorations that I am going to move down here and have access to and it's time for my son and daughter-in-law to get into the North Pole construction business with 3 kids.

Ya see, I am coming to grips with the cold hard facts. I've been giving into this. Another fact is that it will never be the same, and certainly never better, but it does not have to be as I've allowed it to be. I do believe it is the truest statement I've ever heard. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. My attitude is owned by me, it just doesn't happen without me allowing that.

And just the simple commitment to myself for next year has made this a better Christmas because I have something to look forward to and that's the hole I have always tried to fill, I was never one to dwell in the present, I had to be looking forward to something. And now I have that. That's another cold hard fact, I can't change what I am inside but I can stop treading life.

I will not wish you Merry Christmas yet but I will wish you a Merry Christmas. And like Colo wrote, a thankful Christmas. And I will be appreciative of my friends in the Zone but especially in the Pops thread. And I will be most thankful for a good report for GrammaJan today.

Xelda

Reaction score
Good morning Pops and friends. Did I read that right? Yep, it's morning even in Runny zone. Good luck on your scan today, GJ and best wishes for a smooth stitch removal Leon.

What is your favorite Christmas song? When I was little one song intrigued me. Who is Parson Brown and what's he going to do in town? The song lulled me into contentment. Walking In A Winter Wonderland wiggled it's way into my heart.
I think it's more of a winter song than Christmas, but this is the only time it's played.
However, the first ones I want to hear is Santa Claus Is Back In Town by Elvis and Little Drummer Boy by Ringo. WIAWW will always find it's way to me. My least favorite is Last Christmas because it's an earworm that I can't shake. I don't like it coming or going.

I have to get ready for work.
608J22w.gif

Have a good day everyone.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Morning Pops. Morning Fellas and good morning to everybody who stops in and checks out the thread.

Colo, I am nowhere near ready. Man, I have had no time to do anything much, as yet. I gotta get out and do some shopping but I am seriously working from 6 to 8 or 9 everyday right now. I guess it's online stuff this year and I probably gotta get that done in the next day or so. I hate doing that because I like to see the stuff up close but not much to do about it.

I think you and your Wife figured it out Brother. Spending time with the Grandkids like that, that's cool Brother.

Jobs, Leon, dbrp, Xelda, zrin, Trouty, ksk, RGV, Coach, RWB, Ranching, SW, John, Jan, Corso and Colo, I hope everybody is doing great. Looking forward to some time off, I need it!

Everybody, have a great day!

GrammaJan

Reaction score
Afternoon Pops and everyone.

Well... the trip to Iowa City wasn't wasted... :rolleyes: clean scan and now I'm once a year:D. Feeling pretty darn blessed this season with so many good things happening. Thank you all for the well wishes and prayers. My sister went with me this time so I'm treating her to lunch. Gotta go eat. Chat later.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Well... the trip to Iowa City wasn't wasted... :rolleyes: clean scan and now I'm once a year:D. Feeling pretty darn blessed this season with so many good things happening. Thank you all for the well wishes and prayers. My sister went with me this time so I'm treating her to lunch. Gotta go eat. Chat later.
Indeed, that is one fine Christmas present for you, your family and us. I'll bet that drive home was a lot more fun than the one to Iowa City.

Iowa City, that's the only one I know named after the state, other than New York. I envision the settlers trying to come up with a name and getting into an argument and just going "to hell with it, just call it Iowa City and piss all of the other towns in Iowa off". I was in Ottumwa once just so I could tell people I was going to Ottumwa and that I had been to Ottumwa and had they ever been to Ottumwa because I had been to Ottumwa. I just love some words.

Like Onomatopoeia, I try to work that into conversations all the time and when I use it I do my hand like an Italian for emphasis and beg for someone to ask me to spell it. Then I spell it to the tune of "Old McDonald Had a Farm". I don't get invited to a lot of parties.

Jan, I have joy in my heart for you.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Indeed, that is one fine Christmas present for you, your family and us. I'll bet that drive home was a lot more fun than the one to Iowa City.

Iowa City, that's the only one I know named after the state, other than New York. I envision the settlers trying to come up with a name and getting into an argument and just going "to hell with it, just call it Iowa City and piss all of the other towns in Iowa off". I was in Ottumwa once just so I could tell people I was going to Ottumwa and that I had been to Ottumwa and had they ever been to Ottumwa because I had been to Ottumwa. I just love some words.

Like Onomatopoeia, I try to work that into conversations all the time and when I use it I do my hand like an Italian for emphasis and beg for someone to ask me to spell it. Then I spell it to the tune of "Old McDonald Had a Farm". I don't get invited to a lot of parties.

"Onomatopoeia" you made me laugh out loud. Full marks for working it into a sentence.

:)

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Excellent news, Jan! Between this and the house, you have a lot of nerve to complain about a lack of snow! :laugh:
Once you live in your own house, I'm guessing you won't like snow nearly as much.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Kansas City

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score

Yaaayyyy! Congrats, Jan. You just made us all very happy.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Try asking people if they can name and onomatopoeic palindrome. Most won't even respond, because they're not sure what at least one of the two words is.

GrammaJan

Reaction score

Still making my way home, but yes the trip home is always a lot better when the news is good. Thank you for the kind / sweet thoughts. Glad you have found some joy this season.

GrammaJan

Reaction score
Excellent news, Jan! Between this and the house, you have a lot of nerve to complain about a lack of snow! :laugh:
Once you live in your own house, I'm guessing you won't like snow nearly as much.
Hahaha oh, you may be right, but I have previously owned a home before my divorce and I still liked the snow then. Maybe having to deal with it all on my own will be a different story...

GrammaJan

Reaction score

Oklahoma City?