FEATURED Morning Pops!

GrammaJan

Reaction score
Good luck RGV! You can do it!

Ah Street, that's possibly the nicest Valentine's gift I've seen.

Ok, I hope this link works. I'm sorry that I couldn't get just the video. It's cute though. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good...her-first-snowfall/ar-BBZOM84?ocid=spartandhp
Very cute! Reminds me of my granddaughter in Virginia. Elsa this. Elsa that. When my daughter and her husband (at the time her boyfriend) were looking at houses one they found had an open entryway with a stairwell directly ahead. Up the 5 stairs she went to the landing, turned and started singing that song. In the empty house you can imagine the echo. They ended up purchasing that house. Great memory. Thank you for reminding me of that.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
:lmao2:
3ot6pn.jpg

Smoking Ladies. That is all..........

:thumbup:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Morning Pops. Morning Fellas and good morning to all of you who stop in to visit Pops' thread this morning.

Well, I asked for it when I made mention of Spring yesterday. Last night, it snowed so Winter is still here and reminding me of same!

Got the Grandboy today, he'll be here in another hour or two. Dad is running a little late today, wants to let the sun come up before he gets on the road I imagine.

Jobs, Leon, dbrp, Xelda, zrin, Trouty, ksk, RGV, Coach, RWB, Ranching, SW, John, Jan, Corso and Colo, hope you guys are all having a great start to the day today!

Everybody, the day is yours to make. It can be great or it can be a drag, it's truly up to you. Things happen along the way and it can sometimes be a pain but you don't have to let it stay that way. Go out and make it a great day. It's up to you....

Peace!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Morning Pops and all y'all. Going to be cold and rainy all day with the heavy stuff on tap for overnight. What came down at around 2am this morning woke me up with the sound of the downpour on the skylights in the living room. My dogs woke me up growling at the sound. My female thinks rain is the main curse on the land, only surpassed by thunder, that gets #1.

When we lived in OK, she was a wreck in the spring and summer. I thought Dallas had some violent thunderstorms until I was there, Mother Nature in her worst mood. It was 11 years ago at this time of year that the infamous Lone Grove Tornado came through that area leaving 8 dead and devastation like a bomb went off. I saw it that night from the balcony of my apartment as the lightning lit up the entire sky.

Lone Grove was 7 miles from where I lived and we were elevated already but as that lightning lit up like nothing I've ever seen, we saw this EF4 a half a mile wide bearing down on that town and the one thing I remember was my neighbor saying "Oh, Mother of God". It was awe inspiring and terrifying at the same time, I was just transfixed on the wall of that monster. I had always thought of that funnel being small but this was the thing nightmares are made of and thanks to the quick thinking of my, fairly new to radio, afternoon jock, there weren't more deaths and injuries.

His name is Zack and he's a weather nerd and he called me right before 6, his time to get off the air was at 7, and told me a storm watcher that was a friend of his from North Texas had called him and said something really big and nasty was crossing the Red River and headed for us. Radio stations had become notorious for not having live people on the air after 7 since they had allowed consolidation in 1996. Since that had happened, a minimum 60% of the people that worked in radio were gone beginning with night and overnight jocks. It was so bad that the night of one of the worst floods in Fargo, ND history, there was not one person on the air on any radio station to help people. The very reason radio existed, to serve the public, was allowed to be circumvented to save their opportunistic profiteering jerks into more profit.

So, Zack calls me and I realize for the first time, we, make that I as the GM, was unprepared for broadcasting in Tornado Alley and most of these things happen late or well into the evening. I told him to stay as long as the threat was there and have the jock on the rock station stay as well and feed her the info. I mentioned he was new to the position but his quick thinking saved lives and I spoke to two people that proved that. The TV station out of Sherman, TX had a remote crew on the ground and Zack had the station on and was talking to one of the meteorologists and had the bright idea instead of trying to relay the information, he told the meteorologists he was going to just rebroadcast what they were doing and simply held the mic up to the speaker on the TV and the on air crew got word and told people in the area to turn to our station immediately if you are in the area.

Then the power went out in the Lone Grove area and our radio station was all they had but as luck would have it, that was the dominant radio station in the area, and that monster was only minutes from descending on them. They either had to have a weather radio, transistor or get in their vehicles and the word we got the next day was that's exactly what they did and the word passed to the people in the gym at the basketball game to stay put.

The devastation was unbelievable and the Governor surveyed the damage by chopper and said he was amazed that only 8 people had been lost. I got a call the next morning from a listener. They had the TV station on and our station at the same time when the power went out. He ran out to his truck to hear they were directly in it's path and it was on the ground, he ran back in and got his family and dog, ran back out to the truck and took off in the opposite direction. He stopped and drew a breath in and said "we lost everything but we didn't lose each other because of what y'all did". He came by the station later that day with his family to meet Zack. They all hugged him and he was quite overcome, he was only 20 at the time.

There are people that spend their entire lives in radio and never experience the real importance of it. That night, February 10, 2009, that radio station wasn't just the top rated Country station, it was the lifeline for a community. We ended up forming a very good relationship with that TV station, rewired our board to make it easier to rebroadcast because they had the best storm chasers and those cats are a different breed. We had them all on the air as guests and they had some stories to share.

I would say sorry about the length of this but I won't. I spent 25 years managing radio stations and until that night, really didn't understand my job as it applies to the public. Too bad congress and the FCC didn't see it the same way. The FCC did nothing to address the Fargo embarrassment. I did what I could and relayed what had happened that night to as many of my peers as I could and some of my guys in Dallas had no plan either. They were as unprepared as I had been, thinking it was somebody else's responsibility.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Morning, Pops and pen pals. I've either got an unusual coincidence or a mini parallel universe happening in my condo. Our microwave is mounted above the stove but they are completely independent. Both of the clocks run fast, gaining a few minutes each day. The weird thing about it is that they are perfectly in sync. I've reset both of them multiple times, and each time they engage in synchronized time gaming. I hope your new week gets off to a fine start, everyone.
Maybe there's a black hole in your cupboard.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Morning Pops and all y'all. Going to be cold and rainy all day with the heavy stuff on tap for overnight. What came down at around 2am this morning woke me up with the sound of the downpour on the skylights in the living room. My dogs woke me up growling at the sound. My female thinks rain is the main curse on the land, only surpassed by thunder, that gets #1.

When we lived in OK, she was a wreck in the spring and summer. I thought Dallas had some violent thunderstorms until I was there, Mother Nature in her worst mood. It was 11 years ago at this time of year that the infamous Lone Grove Tornado came through that area leaving 8 dead and devastation like a bomb went off. I saw it that night from the balcony of my apartment as the lightning lit up the entire sky.

Lone Grove was 7 miles from where I lived and we were elevated already but as that lightning lit up like nothing I've ever seen, we saw this EF4 a half a mile wide bearing down on that town and the one thing I remember was my neighbor saying "Oh, Mother of God". It was awe inspiring and terrifying at the same time, I was just transfixed on the wall of that monster. I had always thought of that funnel being small but this was the thing nightmares are made of and thanks to the quick thinking of my, fairly new to radio, afternoon jock, there weren't more deaths and injuries.

His name is Zack and he's a weather nerd and he called me right before 6, his time to get off the air was at 7, and told me a storm watcher that was a friend of his from North Texas had called him and said something really big and nasty was crossing the Red River and headed for us. Radio stations had become notorious for not having live people on the air after 7 since they had allowed consolidation in 1996. Since that had happened, a minimum 60% of the people that worked in radio were gone beginning with night and overnight jocks. It was so bad that the night of one of the worst floods in Fargo, ND history, there was not one person on the air on any radio station to help people. The very reason radio existed, to serve the public, was allowed to be circumvented to save their opportunistic profiteering jerks into more profit.

So, Zack calls me and I realize for the first time, we, make that I as the GM, was unprepared for broadcasting in Tornado Alley and most of these things happen late or well into the evening. I told him to stay as long as the threat was there and have the jock on the rock station stay as well and feed her the info. I mentioned he was new to the position but his quick thinking saved lives and I spoke to two people that proved that. The TV station out of Sherman, TX had a remote crew on the ground and Zack had the station on and was talking to one of the meteorologists and had the bright idea instead of trying to relay the information, he told the meteorologists he was going to just rebroadcast what they were doing and simply held the mic up to the speaker on the TV and the on air crew got word and told people in the area to turn to our station immediately if you are in the area.

Then the power went out in the Lone Grove area and our radio station was all they had but as luck would have it, that was the dominant radio station in the area, and that monster was only minutes from descending on them. They either had to have a weather radio, transistor or get in their vehicles and the word we got the next day was that's exactly what they did and the word passed to the people in the gym at the basketball game to stay put.

The devastation was unbelievable and the Governor surveyed the damage by chopper and said he was amazed that only 8 people had been lost. I got a call the next morning from a listener. They had the TV station on and our station at the same time when the power went out. He ran out to his truck to hear they were directly in it's path and it was on the ground, he ran back in and got his family and dog, ran back out to the truck and took off in the opposite direction. He stopped and drew a breath in and said "we lost everything but we didn't lose each other because of what y'all did". He came by the station later that day with his family to meet Zack. They all hugged him and he was quite overcome, he was only 20 at the time.

There are people that spend their entire lives in radio and never experience the real importance of it. That night, February 10, 2009, that radio station wasn't just the top rated Country station, it was the lifeline for a community. We ended up forming a very good relationship with that TV station, rewired our board to make it easier to rebroadcast because they had the best storm chasers and those cats are a different breed. We had them all on the air as guests and they had some stories to share.

I would say sorry about the length of this but I won't. I spent 25 years managing radio stations and until that night, really didn't understand my job as it applies to the public. Too bad congress and the FCC didn't see it the same way. The FCC did nothing to address the Fargo embarrassment. I did what I could and relayed what had happened that night to as many of my peers as I could and some of my guys in Dallas had no plan either. They were as unprepared as I had been, thinking it was somebody else's responsibility.
Don't worry about the length of that post, my friend. That was an amazing story! You should start a thread with that one.

Xelda

Reaction score
Good afternoon Pops and friends.
He never wanted to record that song. His record company forced him to. Sorry if that ruins it for you.
I never wanted to hear it, so the fall out continues.
Don't worry about the length of that post, my friend. That was an amazing story! You should start a thread with that one.
Cut and paste, Coach! That's a story well worth knowing. We had a weather man crapping in his bloomers as he relayed a day of severe weather with a record number of tornadoes. I believe it was along the lines of 227 total tornadoes that day. It covered Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and Oklahoma (which seriously boosted the total). He was giving street names for where some were. He disappeared from the area shortly after that.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good afternoon Pops and friends.

I never wanted to hear it, so the fall out continues.

Cut and paste, Coach! That's a story well worth knowing. We had a weather man crapping in his bloomers as he relayed a day of severe weather with a record number of tornadoes. I believe it was along the lines of 227 total tornadoes that day. It covered Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and Oklahoma (which seriously boosted the total). He was giving street names for where some were. He disappeared from the area shortly after that.
I did X girl and I warned them it was long but they can see that.

On the old forum, my favorite posts were those that would respond to some windy post of mine with TL;dr and then comment about parts of it. I wanted to ask them at what point did they realize that was too long? I admit I can get loquacious but the posters that know me, know that and either spend the time or they don't. It doesn't hurt my feelings if they don't but calling that out is just rude. That's like posters complaining about another (fill in the blank) thread. Like there's some limit to the number of threads on a topic. Just don't read or respond to the damned thing but don't insult a fellow poster, really gets my dander up. Then, I have to figure out what to do with my dander. So, I write another long post about dander and what to do with it. I tell ya, it's just a vicious cycle.

Xelda

Reaction score

I finally picked out a light to go over my sink! Woo! Not as good as a Cowboys win, but better than nothing. If it wasn't the right size or length, it was a conflict of taste. I finally told myself to just shut up and order something. No one liked my climbing men which seemed perfect over the garbage disposal. Good night fellow Cowboy fans.

GrammaJan

Reaction score

I finally picked out a light to go over my sink! Woo! Not as good as a Cowboys win, but better than nothing. If it wasn't the right size or length, it was a conflict of taste. I finally told myself to just shut up and order something. No one liked my climbing men which seemed perfect over the garbage disposal. Good night fellow Cowboy fans.
Xel, I liked your climbing men and that was the perfect idea you had for where to put it. I'm looking into whimsical things like that for the downstairs space. Like, the bar area in the family room is actually in the corner so I'm going to see if I can find a sign somewhere that says "corner bar". It's your space, so make it yours. I'll figure out the light fixtures once I get in there and have a good feel for the spaces.