FEATURED Morning Pops!

GrammaJan

Reaction score
Evening Pops and everyone.

Decided to come home from work early tonight and take a "chill" night. Mind you, my getting home early from work means being at the office less than 11 hours. I worked 13 hours yesterday... beginning to wonder why I bought this house when all I do is sleep here. I worked most of the past weekend and logged 19 hours of overtime!! I suppose the up side to that is I know how to pay for the rest of the Christmas presents I have to buy, as well as Christmas Eve dinner :). I was also told by my friend (who is also the office manager) that the boss is looking at giving us the Monday and Tuesday after Christmas off (paid) as well.

It's been pretty awful at work this year working essentially the load for two people. Honestly, I can't wait for this year to be over with. Can I get an "Amen!"?

Anywaaaaayyyy... time to call it a night.
Haven't seen posts from a lot of you lately. I sure hope everyone is okay.:huh:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Evening Pops and everyone.

Decided to come home from work early tonight and take a "chill" night. Mind you, my getting home early from work means being at the office less than 11 hours. I worked 13 hours yesterday... beginning to wonder why I bought this house when all I do is sleep here. I worked most of the past weekend and logged 19 hours of overtime!! I suppose the up side to that is I know how to pay for the rest of the Christmas presents I have to buy, as well as Christmas Eve dinner :). I was also told by my friend (who is also the office manager) that the boss is looking at giving us the Monday and Tuesday after Christmas off (paid) as well.

It's been pretty awful at work this year working essentially the load for two people. Honestly, I can't wait for this year to be over with. Can I get an "Amen!"?

Anywaaaaayyyy... time to call it a night.
Haven't seen posts from a lot of you lately. I sure hope everyone is okay.:huh:
AMEN SISTER!!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good morning Pops and all y'all in Jan's Amen Corner. This has all the signs of one hell of a New Year's Eve send off with the worst year since 2001 and I can make a case for the worst in my lifetime. Doesn't even matter which side of the lock down argument you are on, we're all in the same sorry shape.

One thing a lot of folks are going to be experiencing is regret that they took those required family gatherings for granted and even dreaded them. Fortunately, I can play my own drunk uncle.

I am trying my best to force that good ole holiday feeling on myself and even ordered this cool fiber optics tree from Hammacher Schlemmer and it has 15 different programmable colors and 23 changing patterns and the first thing I thought of when I turned it on was 'I miss drugs'. Under the right influence, this tree could take me places of magic and wonder.

However, new tree notwithstanding, I just want to get past this Christmas to New Year's Eve and approach that with the feeling we've come through the tunnel and are approaching the light. I really need to work past the feeling I have about my fellow human beings right now because it is anything but warm and I really do struggle with liking people. I am not joking about that. I am not bent to find the good in people.

I need a serious attitude adjustment and am hoping I can create a spark of that through some serious Tinsel Throwdown on my own thinking and focus on the good in people. I tried my Trans Siberian Orchestra therapy because that has worked in the past. That was the last concert my wife and I saw together and it left a lasting impression and I can get a little lost in the story telling and it has a rather strange effect on me of connection to a higher power through a contemporary and at times, metal like, presentation. I will give it another try closer to Christmas day. I really need to get out of this frame of mind.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Hey Leon,

I missed this one somehow. Thank you for the well wishes!

For those of you who didn't know Leon as a youngster, here is a snap of him fairly early on in life.

Newborn-Sports-Photography-Session2609-One-Big-Happy-Photo.jpg
Ha Ha. I think I was so tired after cutting down that tree that was in my way that I just fell asleep.

BTW. I don't fall for any of that golf gimmick stuff.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Ha Ha. I think I was so tired after cutting down that tree that was in my way that I just fell asleep.

BTW. I don't fall for any of that golf gimmick stuff.

Hey Leon, I'm not surprised. I'd be pretty tired too if I was using an iron to chop down a tree! :laugh:

How you doing Leon? I hope all things are right in your world Brother!

GrammaJan

Reaction score
Good morning Pops and all y'all in Jan's Amen Corner. This has all the signs of one hell of a New Year's Eve send off with the worst year since 2001 and I can make a case for the worst in my lifetime. Doesn't even matter which side of the lock down argument you are on, we're all in the same sorry shape.

One thing a lot of folks are going to be experiencing is regret that they took those required family gatherings for granted and even dreaded them. Fortunately, I can play my own drunk uncle.

I am trying my best to force that good ole holiday feeling on myself and even ordered this cool fiber optics tree from Hammacher Schlemmer and it has 15 different programmable colors and 23 changing patterns and the first thing I thought of when I turned it on was 'I miss drugs'. Under the right influence, this tree could take me places of magic and wonder.

However, new tree notwithstanding, I just want to get past this Christmas to New Year's Eve and approach that with the feeling we've come through the tunnel and are approaching the light. I really need to work past the feeling I have about my fellow human beings right now because it is anything but warm and I really do struggle with liking people. I am not joking about that. I am not bent to find the good in people.

I need a serious attitude adjustment and am hoping I can create a spark of that through some serious Tinsel Throwdown on my own thinking and focus on the good in people. I tried my Trans Siberian Orchestra therapy because that has worked in the past. That was the last concert my wife and I saw together and it left a lasting impression and I can get a little lost in the story telling and it has a rather strange effect on me of connection to a higher power through a contemporary and at times, metal like, presentation. I will give it another try closer to Christmas day. I really need to get out of this frame of mind.
I hear that, Coach. Right there with you.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Morning pops,

Man, this time of year, for me, is always kind of rough. Lost a lot. But, it taught to appreciate the people and such in my life. Because trust me, it can all change in a blink of an eye. 2020 kind of makes me laugh to be honest.
And yes, I have lost my mind. :D

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Morning pops,

Man, this time of year, for me, is always kind of rough. Lost a lot. But, it taught to appreciate the people and such in my life. Because trust me, it can all change in a blink of an eye. 2020 kind of makes me laugh to be honest.
And yes, I have lost my mind. :D
Only way to go through life, G, losing part of our mind.

As far as that laughing part, I was blessed with the ability to not only find humor when it's hiding but make myself laugh. That was the first thing I discovered on the old forum, I realized I was there to write things to make myself laugh and that was an epiphany for me. The dumb thing on my part was when I needed it the most, I left to marinate in sorrow.

I anger easily and filter through emotion so I need a balance and being a funny guy has been that balance for people to tolerate me. Man, what an awesome person. Yeah, but he's pretty funny.

There's only one defense against life and the stupidity that surrounds us, laugh at it. I got tired of getting mad about it and decided I'd use one of the few talents I have to make myself laugh at it. I accepted that all of these people are not here to annoy and irritate me, they're here for my entertainment. Oh, I am sure they have other functions in their own lives but they are here to mystify me and thank God I am not as stupid as I thought I was. There are virtually legions of stupid people to make me feel smarter.

So, my fellow absurdist, it is our job to make sense of this as only we can, nonsense.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Morning Pops and all y'all reading this and if you're not reading this, good morning to you anyway.

Got a call with my buddy Mike tonight and this one's going to be a little fragile as he's just come through the second anniversary of losing his wife and he's hit that dangerous area that I had to navigate. At some point, I looked at myself and thought 'what's wrong with me? I should be better by now. Am I ever going to get past this'? Dangerous territory, my friends, because that word "ever" is in there and that hangs there like a death sentence, that's eternity as we know it.

So, I've thought about how to best approach this because he dumped the grief counselor as I thought he would. Mainly because she couldn't fix him. Even though I told him my mistake not using that and that they're not there to make the grief go away but to help us handle it better and let us know we're not the first people to go through this. Have I shared with you how good I am at handing out advice and so poor at following it? Especially my own.

Coming up on 10 years, February 1, that the light went out in my life and I made the conscious decision not to even light a candle. The fact is I am not "over it" and will never be but I did do the most important thing, and I believe I shared this with the Popsadoodles when it happened as I kind of use you guys as my therapy wall, I forgave myself and stop beating myself up, and I was pretty bloody, for taking her for granted. I made the conscience decision to only take the good memories forward and stop that anchor of regrets and self recriminations.

That saying "time heals all wounds" isn't totally true but it does give us the time to learn how to live with "this is as good as it gets". And time is often the enemy for people like Mike because he feels too much of it has passed and he's not any better. He hasn't let that guilt go that he's still here and she's not and that's not the way it should be.

There's a double edged sword to trying to help someone you care about through some pain you've experienced, the scab can get ripped off very easily because coping means accepting that it's never really going to heal.

Sorry to get this way, again, but I woke up this morning with that first Holiday Hate feeling of the year but I am thankful it did come later this season.

Have a good Thirsty Thursday and for me tonight, it's doubles.

GrammaJan

Reaction score
Morning Pops and all y'all reading this and if you're not reading this, good morning to you anyway.

Got a call with my buddy Mike tonight and this one's going to be a little fragile as he's just come through the second anniversary of losing his wife and he's hit that dangerous area that I had to navigate. At some point, I looked at myself and thought 'what's wrong with me? I should be better by now. Am I ever going to get past this'? Dangerous territory, my friends, because that word "ever" is in there and that hangs there like a death sentence, that's eternity as we know it.

So, I've thought about how to best approach this because he dumped the grief counselor as I thought he would. Mainly because she couldn't fix him. Even though I told him my mistake not using that and that they're not there to make the grief go away but to help us handle it better and let us know we're not the first people to go through this. Have I shared with you how good I am at handing out advice and so poor at following it? Especially my own.

Coming up on 10 years, February 1, that the light went out in my life and I made the conscious decision not to even light a candle. The fact is I am not "over it" and will never be but I did do the most important thing, and I believe I shared this with the Popsadoodles when it happened as I kind of use you guys as my therapy wall, I forgave myself and stop beating myself up, and I was pretty bloody, for taking her for granted. I made the conscience decision to only take the good memories forward and stop that anchor of regrets and self recriminations.

That saying "time heals all wounds" isn't totally true but it does give us the time to learn how to live with "this is as good as it gets". And time is often the enemy for people like Mike because he feels too much of it has passed and he's not any better. He hasn't let that guilt go that he's still here and she's not and that's not the way it should be.

There's a double edged sword to trying to help someone you care about through some pain you've experienced, the scab can get ripped off very easily because coping means accepting that it's never really going to heal.

Sorry to get this way, again, but I woke up this morning with that first Holiday Hate feeling of the year but I am thankful it did come later this season.

Well said Coach! You never do get “over it”... it’s part of who you are forever. You just learn to live with a new normal. You shouldn’t feel like you have to get over anyone, or forget the pain of losing someone important to you. It hurts because the love for that person runs so deep. I’d rather hurt from knowing that kind of love, and I do, than not having had that person or those people in my life. It’s bittersweet, but having known them is part of what makes us who we are.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

There's so many layers to this. I tried the grief counseling, but all I did was bottle up. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks, I guess. Funny thing is I'm really good at listening to other's BS and helping them, it sort of helps me in some ways. Your take on time healing wounds designates with me because as I mentioned a ways back, I had to learn to live without instead of forgetting. Ironically, forgetting isn't even an option. I believe it is as good as it gets. And the guilt, at least in my situation is complete torture....

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's so many layers to this. I tried the grief counseling, but all I did was bottle up. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks, I guess. Funny thing is I'm really good at listening to other's BS and helping them, it sort of helps me in some ways. Your take on time healing wounds designates with me because as I mentioned a ways back, I had to learn to live without instead of forgetting. Ironically, forgetting isn't even an option. I believe it is as good as it gets. And the guilt, at least in my situation is complete torture....
I believe I've mentioned I have a friend in Dallas that's a shrink and I've never seen her professionally as she's a close friend to me and my wife. But she did stop me one night in the middle of a conversation and simple said "you are going to be in this Groundhog Day until you truly forgive yourself about all the things you should have done better. And I don't mean excuse yourself but honestly forgive yourself".

Then she gave me a great suggestion to purge myself of my demons, share what I've learned with others. And that's when I began to do something not natural for me, open up about the serious me that hides behind my facade. I thought funny gave the appearance of happy and people wouldn't try to fix me. I think I was getting off on the pain, that torture you speak of and then one day I just came to the conclusion I had suffered enough.

G, I haven't really shared how deep I had gone into the dark and my original plan was to end this after I lost her and I have shared that with Mike because I fear that for him. I was faced with living without her and living alone with me, a double curse. Two events took place to dissuade me from that and I took that as purpose to carry on. But first I had to stop hating myself and truly forgive me and do what my friend suggested.

It's terrible to feel this way but Mike losing his wife and his reliance on me because of shared experience has really helped me resolve things. Want to help yourself, help someone else has worked for me and it reassures me I am on the right path.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I believe I've mentioned I have a friend in Dallas that's a shrink and I've never seen her professionally as she's a close friend to me and my wife. But she did stop me one night in the middle of a conversation and simple said "you are going to be in this Groundhog Day until you truly forgive yourself about all the things you should have done better. And I don't mean excuse yourself but honestly forgive yourself".

Then she gave me a great suggestion to purge myself of my demons, share what I've learned with others. And that's when I began to do something not natural for me, open up about the serious me that hides behind my facade. I thought funny gave the appearance of happy and people wouldn't try to fix me. I think I was getting off on the pain, that torture you speak of and then one day I just came to the conclusion I had suffered enough.

G, I haven't really shared how deep I had gone into the dark and my original plan was to end this after I lost her and I have shared that with Mike because I fear that for him. I was faced with living without her and living alone with me, a double curse. Two events took place to dissuade me from that and I took that as purpose to carry on. But first I had to stop hating myself and truly forgive me and do what my friend suggested.

It's terrible to feel this way but Mike losing his wife and his reliance on me because of shared experience has really helped me resolve things. Want to help yourself, help someone else has worked for me and it reassures me I am on the right path.
Dang autocorrect, I wish it would get it right once in a while. I meant resonate, not designates.......
I agree with helping with others, I lost my wife and son and quite honestly couldn't find a single thing to stick around for, and that lasted a long, dark time. But I got over that being around my brother and sister and their kids. I really beat myself up because I couldn't except that there was nothing I could have done to change things. The ironic thing is after hearing the same thing a bazillion times "There was nothing you could have done" I got sick of it and I joined the academy and became a firefighter. So now there IS something I can do moving forward. Its ugly man, wearing these meat suits stuck to a rock floating through space. But, there is so much to laugh at. This place does help. And if you ever need a single thing, I'm here unconditionally pal. I had some of the funniest convos with you over the years. That's what makes her go.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dang autocorrect, I wish it would get it right once in a while. I meant resonate, not designates.......
I agree with helping with others, I lost my wife and son and quite honestly couldn't find a single thing to stick around for, and that lasted a long, dark time. But I got over that being around my brother and sister and their kids. I really beat myself up because I couldn't except that there was nothing I could have done to change things. The ironic thing is after hearing the same thing a bazillion times "There was nothing you could have done" I got sick of it and I joined the academy and became a firefighter. So now there IS something I can do moving forward. Its ugly man, wearing these meat suits stuck to a rock floating through space. But, there is so much to laugh at. This place does help. And if you ever need a single thing, I'm here unconditionally pal. I had some of the funniest convos with you over the years. That's what makes her go.
I lost my autocorrect almost 10 years ago.

That time we went outside the lines on the old site with the Gipper, you, myself and a couple of others was too much fun for free. I didn't want the season to start and get back to football.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I lost my autocorrect almost 10 years ago.

That time we went outside the lines on the old site with the Gipper, you, myself and a couple of others was too much fun for free. I didn't want the season to start and get back to football.
Lol, I think of some of the things we ranted about, good Lord it was fun. Outside the lines is the place to be.