Mr. GM Jones, Please do the Needful

stiletto

Reaction score
So just give up and don’t even try? Ok, you do you.
March was the time. It doesn't make any sense what they are doing! If CeeDee was your guy, SIGN him. If Dak is your guy, SIGN him. Lower the cap so you can bring in guys that will actually push the needle. They were acting like they wanted a complete change. Fine!! Rip the Band-Aid off. Do it. I think the way the front office is going, they are screwing ALL OF US.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
You aren't getting a "legitimate" DT with a comp pick. You're getting the Neville Gallimores of the world.
Yeah, this isn’t madden. No one is giving you anything for a comp pic, unless they’re on an expiring contract or they’re a malcontent.

JBS

Reaction score
I think that the Cowboys can help their cause to not only make the playoffs but to go far with 2 roster moves. Trade for a legitimate DT and trade for a legitimate RB. Just my layman's opinion that these 2 moves would help greatly in stopping the run, and running the ball.

People will say the RB can’t be fixed because of the scheme. I disagree. You do not have to run the ball for a lot of yards. You just have to be able to run when you need to run.

I don’t know how many people remember but when Hankins was originally signed, the run defense immediately improved. Hankins also played in the GB disaster but Quinns defense was flawed. Give Zimmer a legitimate NT and he’ll fix the defense.

Mr. GM Jerry Jones, please do the needful.
If you can run the ball when you need to then you can run for a long of yards. You can’t do one without the other

JBS

Reaction score
March was the time. It doesn't make any sense what they are doing! If CeeDee was your guy, SIGN him. If Dak is your guy, SIGN him. Lower the cap so you can bring in guys that will actually push the needle. They were acting like they wanted a complete change. Fine!! Rip the Band-Aid off. Do it. I think the way the front office is going, they are screwing ALL OF US.
It makes plenty of sense. It gives them an excuse to not sign any free agents

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Too late. The time was free agency and we blew it. At this point, even if there was a legit player available, Jerry would get fleeced.
Yep. Too bad we don’t have a QB who was a little more self aware to realize he needs help to win a championship. If so we would have the ability to fill these gaps in the roster while he still could make hundreds of millions of dollars.

But of course neither the QB nor the owner had the foresight nor emotional intelligence (like Patrick Mahomes) to accept that and negotiate accordingly. The goal was to be the highest paid. Mission accomplished.

So we are where we are and where we’ll be for the foreseeable future.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
I think that the Cowboys can help their cause to not only make the playoffs but to go far with 2 roster moves. Trade for a legitimate DT and trade for a legitimate RB. Just my layman's opinion that these 2 moves would help greatly in stopping the run, and running the ball.

People will say the RB can’t be fixed because of the scheme. I disagree. You do not have to run the ball for a lot of yards. You just have to be able to run when you need to run.

I don’t know how many people remember but when Hankins was originally signed, the run defense immediately improved. Hankins also played in the GB disaster but Quinns defense was flawed. Give Zimmer a legitimate NT and he’ll fix the defense.

If only any of us (or they) had known this sooner! Youre on to something here...

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Again, you’re living in the past. I’m talking about the future.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
A few years ago when Quennin Williams was still on his rookie deal, and he hadn't had a breakout season yet. I suggested we trade a first for him, a few people laughed at me. He'd come in real handy right now. I don't think any team is ready to give up a stud D interior guy right now.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Lol the second fan letter to Jerry this week. It's only week 3. Desperation is a stinky cologne.

Hadenough

Reaction score

Hahahaha! They already brought in a couple DTs. A good running game can't save Dak. Remember he had Zeke as a rookie. Besides I'm enjoying watching this circus. Go Ravens!!

Hadenough

Reaction score
A few years ago when Quennin Williams was still on his rookie deal, and he hadn't had a breakout season yet. I suggested we trade a first for him, a few people laughed at me. He'd come in real handy right now. I don't think any team is ready to give up a stud D interior guy right now.
That's the Cowboy way. Don't trade for a strong young buck DT in his prime. Wait until he is old and fat than bring him to Dallas and sell his name for fans to drink the Kool aid.

cristglo

Reaction score
No team in the entire league is stacked enough at DT to even fathom a trade, especially with the Jones boys.
You are living in Maui Waui ville USA, Rock....lol
No disrespect but we have Nothing at DT We got Hankins and that was an improvement There is a DT out there that's better than anyone we have on our roster. The problem Is Jerry won't make a move for either position.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Yep Rocky we are in a tough spot here.
It is a very difficult time to try and find a quality defensive tackle at almost any price.

Unfortunately there are just not that many 350 lb guys with tremendous athleticism strength and lateral movement on the planet let alone available at this juncture.

I think the running game would be easier to improve upon as there are more guys out there that could help us.

That's said our coaching needs to improve if we want to win playoff games McCarthy is better than Garrett because he can get us to the playoffs.
But at this point in his career he is unable to prepare a team for a playoff game.

These problems that are recognized by everyone here on the forum and bench raced over and over again really need to be handled by our front office in the offseason.

Aven8

Reaction score
You can throw in a WR while you’re there as well. Unfortunately it’s too late for that….

CCBoy

Reaction score
That’s a fantastic question. How “All In” is Jerry?
Because of the two contracts just signed, there is the real potential for a huge cap buffer possible now and mushrooming next year with huge roster potential.
There is now full opportunity - now, with managed cap realities. Get a single player over the top for this team.

A historical just competitive belies your 'promise' Jerry. That is how a fan sees it as we have also walked 3 straight 12 win seasons.

A cap swing of $300 M can be achieved between now and 2025.

As a fan, we see that also and not just a competitive that goes to the heart of the Jerry promise. Not a smile by Stephen.

Creeper

Reaction score
Why would Jerry Jones do now what he refused to do the entire offseason? Why would he trade for a quality DT now, assuming he could even do that, when he traded for Jordan Phillips before? I have no idea what Jerry Jones is doing, or what he has in mind, but it seems to me he is determined to play this season without getting quality players for the two positions of need going into the offseason.

After Aaron Jones carved us up last year, we knew we needed to shore up that DL. Instead, we let Armstrong, Fowler, Gallimore and Hankins go. I am not against allowing players to leave if their demands are too high but at least have a plan to find backups for them. We were thin at DE and Jerry signed a few guys off the street then cut them. Lawson is on the practice squad. Can he even play, or is he another Phillips? Gallimore was nothing special but Hankins was useful to a degree. Instead of adding someone to go with Hankins Jerry did nothing. He draft a DT in the 7th round them cut him too.

Acquiring Phillips, Lawson and Joseph right before the season was a joke, a bandaid on a severed leg.

At this point it might be too early to make any changes, though with Mazi hurting it may require another DT acquisition. But in a few games, if this continues I would consider making some changes on who plays.

For example, give Juanyeh Thomas more opportunities at safety, Maybe get Bell some time too. Thomas has a knack for being where the ball is.

I would consider getting Ryan Flournoy in at WR. He looks like he can create separation with good crisp route running. Dallas needs that. To me, Turpin is a luxury, and not a dependable WR. If I am wrong then why isn't he getting more targets? Turpin, Cooks, Tolbert and Brooks are awful blockers in the run game and it is one reason the Cowboys cannot get outside. It is why Vaughn will never be effective in Dallas. Flournoy showed with his size he can block. If you watched WRs on the Stains pin Lawrence and Parsons inside all day while they ran outside, you know what I mean.

I would activate Dalvin Cook and give him some chances at RB. If he is not better than what they have then why carry him, even on the practice squad? I have no idea why they insist on playing Deuce Vaughn. I would definitely go to 2 RBs instead of a committee. If it turns out Dowdle and Cook are the best RBs, then plays them.

They have to let Overshown play. He is inexperienced and will make mistakes, just like Clark and Liufau but let him learn. He will get better. His style of play is what Dallas needs.

Again, looking at the roster, we should not have expected a winning season this year. This is one reason I would try some new things and see what we have. Rebuilding for next year starts with knowing the capabilities of the players already on the roster.