My Review of THE DARK KNIGHT *Spoilers added*

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
So...... I saw it last night.

Took my kid sister. It was a lot better than what I expected, to be honest. I was really half-expecting it to be a major letdown (after all, it is a comic). But nope. Didn't happen.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
HTownCowboysFan;2154483 said:
Someone said Bane -- no Bane in the next one, trust me. ;) I also wouldn't expect the "expected" either.

How can we expect the "expected" if we don't know what that is? :)

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
CowboyWay;2149936 said:
I think its safe to say that most people who have seen it so far are pretty hardcore fans of the series, I'll be interested to see what the casual fan thinks of it after they see it in a couple weeks.

All I can tell you is the 6 of us were dissapointed, and we also heard several grumblings throughout the crowd as we exited the theater of people who said the same thing.

Oh well.

Hi.

I'm Mr. Casual.

I hate comics. They suck. I never watched any of the Batman movies (I'm assuming there are more), the TV show (well, I've seen a few episodes, but I cannot recall them).

Hardly a fanboy.

I thought the movie was great.

I took my kid sister. Though, she has a wide range of movie interests, comics aren't her thing either. She might even despise them more than I do. She also thought the movie was excellent. She thought it was way better than "Wanted" - the last movie I took her to see.

Edit: I see in this thread someone mentioned Danny Divito as Penguin. I remember that. I can't remember if I saw that movie (which movie is this?) or if I just saw previews for it..... wow. LOL.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
HTownCowboysFan;2150505 said:
Gordon't speech/monologue at the end was fantastic.

Did anyone else get that Alfred burning Rachel's letter as a flashback at the same time that Batman is telling Gordon that people need something to believe in even though if it isn't the truth?

Very subtle.

Nolan's a genius.

How was that subtle? I too liked the scene.

But that was soooooooooooo far from subtle.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Did a quick search on IMAX theaters in NY...

seems some are opening this fall.... but nothing in NY yet... can I get a confirmation.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
HTownCowboysFan;2154483 said:
Yeah, I agree. BEGINS is its own thing as is TDK -- though it is a clear sequel to BEGINS.

Someone said Bane -- no Bane in the next one, trust me. ;) I also wouldn't expect the "expected" either.

ok so that rules out a new villian glad to see two face is still alive :)

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Good discussion here fellas...

Just saw this last night and am still in awe.

There seemed to be a finality to this one though. If Nolan and WB don't come up with an agreement, I could see how this one would be the end.

Really...how do you top this?

One of the few sequels to surpass the original. T2 comes to mind.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Aikmaniac;2154680 said:

Jaws_II.jpg

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Aikmaniac;2154680 said:

Agreed on T2.

Also for me:

• Spider-man 2
  • Superman 2
  • Godfather 2
Sequels that should have never been made:
  • Bourne movies - 2 & especially 3
  • Matrix movies - 2 & 3
  • Spider-man 3
  • Superman - ALL post sequel 2

thekavorka

Reaction score
YoMick;2154797 said:
Agreed on T2.

Also for me:
  • Spider-man 2
  • Superman 2
  • Godfather 2
  • Matrix movies - 2 & 3
  • Spider-man 3

what? The Bourne movies are so awesome. And I thought each sequel was better than the last.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aikmaniac;2154680 said:
Good discussion here fellas...

Just saw this last night and am still in awe.

There seemed to be a finality to this one though. If Nolan and WB don't come up with an agreement, I could see how this one would be the end.

Really...how do you top this?

trickblue;2154718 said:

SultanOfSix;2154778 said:
"Empire Strikes Back".

YoMick;2154797 said:
Agreed on T2.

Also for me:
  • Spider-man 2
  • Superman 2
  • Godfather 2
  • Matrix movies - 2 & 3
  • Spider-man 3
A few more which I thought were deserving...

posters.jpg

Bizwah

Reaction score
Very good movie. I enjoyed it very much. I was into it the whole time.

But I still like Batman Begins better.

I liked Bale (best Batman) and Eckhart. Both were great in their roles...as was Oldman. I thought they were a great team.

I was disappointed in the Joker. I was impressed with his plans...I just didn't find him amusing....at all. I did like him better than Nicholson's Joker (which I just thought was awful).

Maybe that's not what they, the producers, wanted. I guess the Joker in the comics is a sadistic madman. That was pulled off very well. He was murderous. He wasn't funny in a ha-ha sense. He was the "Joker" in the fact that he didn't see the world as everyone else...he thought the world was a joke.

But I prefer the Joker in Batman the Animated Series. Funny....hilarious...yet you know he's dangerous, unpredictable. Mark Hammil was brilliant.

I also found him simply disgusting to look at. Again, I guess that's part of what many like about him.

I know many loved how the Joker was portrayed. And that's fine...I guess you can't please everyone.

Route 66

Reaction score
Just came back from seeing the movie. First thing I felt was sadness to see Ledger gone. He left his mark in a powerful way with great acting in this movie and it wouldn't have nearly done well without his part in it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bizwah;2155443 said:
Very good movie. I enjoyed it very much. I was into it the whole time.

But I still like Batman Begins better.

I liked Bale (best Batman) and Eckhart. Both were great in their roles...as was Oldman. I thought they were a great team.

I was disappointed in the Joker. I was impressed with his plans...I just didn't find him amusing....at all. I did like him better than Nicholson's Joker (which I just thought was awful).

Maybe that's not what they, the producers, wanted. I guess the Joker in the comics is a sadistic madman. That was pulled off very well. He was murderous. He wasn't funny in a ha-ha sense. He was the "Joker" in the fact that he didn't see the world as everyone else...he thought the world was a joke.

But I prefer the Joker in Batman the Animated Series. Funny....hilarious...yet you know he's dangerous, unpredictable. Mark Hammil was brilliant.

I also found him simply disgusting to look at. Again, I guess that's part of what many like about him.

I know many loved how the Joker was portrayed. And that's fine...I guess you can't please everyone.
This is an observation of Heath Ledger's The Joker which I can fully understand, basically for two reasons:

1. Comics Code Authority from the 1950's into the 1970's strong-armed comics creators into transforming their characters, both heroes and villains alike, into fictional morons to prevent comics books from 'corrupting' the public. During the decade before that nonsense began, The Joker was a mass homicidal, sociopathic villian.

After the implementation of the comics code, The Joker was transformed into a lily-livered clown. Literally. Movies and television, especially the 1960's Batman series, followed suit. It wasn't until the mid-70's that DC began to come to their senses by slowly ignoring the foolish voluntary censorship of the CCA and revising the character back to its original, true roots.

By the 1980's, The Joker was back to being depicted as an totally insane, evil adversary of The Batman. Even so, that didn't influence Tim Burton well-enough to depict his vision of The Joker fully as he was intended. Instead, he allowed Jack Nicholson enough creativity to infuse the character with a murderous, yet comedic personality. Jack worked within the constraints of Burton's world and created an unforgettable role for the ages, but it was not an accurate portrayal of the character.

2. No cartoon or anime version of The Joker that I've ever seen has fully shown his true colors. (Note: I haven't seen the latest Blu-Ray/DVD multi-feature that's currently released though). While the animated Joker shown in both the 90's and 21st century series are very entertaining (I love them too), they aren't accurate versions of the character, but that is to be expected. They are meant primarily for Saturday morning viewing. There are moments of dedicated drama, but mostly it's intended for children (darn it).

Moviegoers watching TDK are pre-conditioned to see The Joker as: a) he was originally created, b) as the clown he was transformed into, and c) both versions. I can't even been to describe how long I've personally agonized waiting for someone, anyone, to re-create the real character on the big screen, since I knew how false he has been portrayed for decades. I owe Christopher Nolan and Heath Ledger a debt which can never be repaid. He brought the real Joker to the movies. Untainted. Unbridled. Uncompromising. Ugly. The perfect antithesis of The Batman. Pure genius is an understatement.

Rest in peace, Heath Ledger. Rest in peace.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
DallasEast;2155561 said:
This is an observation of Heath Ledger's The Joker which I can fully understand, basically for two reasons:........................................................................

I didnt want to quote the whole post.

Good stuff. Very insightful.

Thanks.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
Another thing that I love about this film is the score. The creepy droning violins that happen whenever the Joker is onscreen or about to do something REALLY add to the suspense and edge of your seat feeling.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
I saw it tonight. Amazing movie and Ledger really does steal the show. His reaction to Harvey Dent's face in the hospital was just hilarious. I also really got a kick out of the pencil trick among other things. Just really well done. I don't know how you could make a better villian.

Bale did well, but they need more "playboy Bruce Wayne" moments for him. There's only so much you can do hiding behind a mask or discussing strategy.

About Harvey Dent, I think he's done. I think it'd just cheapen the movie if they somehow brought him back. Bringing back Gordon was one thing, but if they keep going back to that whole "He's dead, but surprise, he's not REALLY dead" thing, well, it'd just cheapen it.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;2155654 said:
Another thing that I love about this film is the score. The creepy droning violins that happen whenever the Joker is onscreen or about to do something REALLY add to the suspense and edge of your seat feeling.

Yes. I was thinking that while I was watching the movie. The creepy droning violins would just add chaos to the scene because you'd immediately start looking everywhere for the Joker. You knew he was coming.