My Review of THE DARK KNIGHT *Spoilers added*

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
locked&loaded;2150601 said:
ya, when bruce would have read it and found out rachel was going to marry harvey. Bruce goes "she was going to wait for me".

than he burned it, pretty cool. my friend also walked out and said he was a genious.

locked&loaded;2150604 said:
If i hadnt seen this film, and i knew others had i woudlnt have touched this thread.

Adding more from the movie.

You are soooo cool. lol oh my

locked&loaded

Reaction score
YoMick;2150608 said:
Adding more from the movie.

You are soooo cool. lol oh my

I didnt read your post until after, and if you dont expect spoilers in a review than i dont know what to say.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
locked&loaded;2150612 said:
I didnt read your post until after, and if you dont expect spoilers in a review than i dont know what to say.

I apologize. I am being unreasonable. :cool:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tomson75;2150560 said:
+1

I'm going to see it in an hour, and I didn't need to know about Dent's fall. A warning would be nice.

Maybe the mods will hook up the thread title.
I'll certainly do it now. But this thread started as a REVIEW thread before the movie came out, so there was nothing in it that could be included as a spoiler.

FYI. This thread is typical of most movie threads in the OT Zone. Start off as general threads and then when the movie comes out, the discussion changes.

LL is right, tho. If you haven't seen the movie and don't want to read spoilers, then it's prolly best to avoid the thread until you have.

I haven't seen it, but I'm not bothered by the spoilers.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
********************SPOILER*******************

HTownCowboysFan;2150531 said:
Agreed...totally.

The next one will be about Batman's redemtion. Of course, that means that Harvey will have to be exposed and Gotham will have to come to terms with "The Dark Knight" being the hero that they truly need.
So are you saying you think he'll be back in the sequel (i.e., not dead)?

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
theogt;2150664 said:
********************SPOILER*******************

So are you saying you think he'll be back in the sequel (i.e., not dead)?

No, but I think he'll be exposed. And Gotham will accept "The Dark Knight" for who he is -- their true hero.

Love Dent though. It sucked for him. I can imagine that non-Batman fans felt more emotionally than fans like me did, as we know what happens to HD.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
YoMick;2150534 said:
DallasEast

I see you are listing the rundown of superhero movies...

for me:
  1. Spider-Man 2 - was the best of that superhero. It really brought the comic book to the screen... I also think that Doc Oc was brought to the screen the best out of all the villians for SM. The Goblin was a joke with that costume.
  2. Superman 2 - I liked this one more than the original. I think the 3 villians stole the show.
  3. Hulk - they both stunk. I think the 1st one had potential. Maybe if they hadnt made the first one and morphed 1 and 2 together they may have come out with something better. I rate the 70's series better than BOTH movies.
  4. Ironman - was ok... first 2/3 was pretty good. That unimaginable ending was horrible.
  5. Batman - I am not a fan of Tim Burton at all. I actually like Barman only because of Nicholson "wait till they get a load of me" "this town needs an enema" "what kind of world do we live in where a man dressed a s bat gets all my press".....Batman Begins was good... but needed more. I have seen TDK yet.
  6. Catwoman - yeah... on a smaller note. I like that one.
  7. Looking forward to Captain America - it will have to be perfectly to be good. With that said... I dont think they can pull it off.
1. The Green Goblin's costume can be explained. Norman Oswald was a defense contractor. The flying wing and armor would be suitable for a soldier utilizing them. Now, the mask is a bit of a stretch, though, but it did fit within the book's storyline (although altered).

2. Superman II may have been better. I won't even try debating your points. It's hard for me to lessen the impact of the original movie. The promotional tagline was, "You will believe a man can fly", and they pulled it off. I guess that's one of the reasons why it remained my standard for superhero movies until 1989's Batman was released.

3. Agree, disagree and disagree. I love Ang Lee, but his movie was a lost cause. I did not have a problem with his CGI Hulk though. While The Incredible Hulk had room for improvement, in my book it's a good superhero flick and great when compared to its predecessor.

Bill Bixby was what made the television series worthy for discussion. The series itself was practically a carbon copy of The Fugitive series. Let's face it, the main character was a weakling. Maybe that wasn't the fault of the series' producers and it certainly can't be placed at the feet of Stan Lee. The studio probably couldn't pull off the special effects needed to portray The Hulk correctly week after week and decided from the show's inception to keep the wow factor at The Six Million Dollar Man level. Who knows...

4. Disagree. While nowhere near the equal of TDK, Iron Man was a good solid movie. It was a pleasant surprise. I was half-expecting a Nicholas Cage/Ghost Rider performance out of Rodney Downey Jr. and got a real good Tony Stark. The fight at the end was a little disappointing, but not enough for me to give it an average grade. Still, to tell the truth, I was expecting the movie to integrate The Mandarin or the Crimson Dynamo some way, but it would've stretched the plot to its limits.

5. The only thing I really hold against Burton is his gothic cartoonish vision of Gotham. Totally unnecessary in my book. At the time, I thought that Michael Keaton was a disasterous choice as Bruce Wayne and predicted he would make joke after joke as Batman. Boy, I was ever wrong. He did a great job and Nicholson's performance does not need defending whatsoever.

6. Love Halle Berry. Hated her movie. Catwoman has evolved into a classic anti-hero in the DC Universe. They ended up trimming the character's claws way too low, practically neutering her. While Michelle Pfeiffer (sp?) wasn't that much better playing Catwoman in Batman Returns, she was still better than Berry was in Catwoman.

7. We agree in our mutual pessimism. Captain America is a comic book icon, whose patriotic persona rivals (or possibly even exceeds) that of Superman's. The right director and actor will be hard pressed to balance his heroic qualities for today's audiences. And the special effects for his shield play BETTER be outstanding.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Good.

**********SPOILER***************

He was lying there dead, why people think he survived and it will be some sort of cover up is beyond me. Nolan's movies are great because they AVOID that sort of soap opera nonsense.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Crown Royal;2150790 said:
Good.

He was lying there dead, why people think he survived and it will be some sort of cover up is beyond me. Nolan's movies are great because they AVOID that sort of soap opera nonsense.
Like Ra's Al Ghul being dead...errr not dead? :)

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Crown Royal;2150790 said:
Good.

I thought he was dead as well. However, I have talked to others who seem to think he survived.

I'm going to see it again soon. Hopefully I won't be in too much of a stunned state to catch everything again.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
theogt;2150809 said:
Like Ra's Al Ghul being dead...errr not dead? :)

I know you're most likely being facetious, but that was a different case since Liam Nieson's character was very much alive when we first left him. We just did not know his true identity until later.

Now, if he had fallen off the cliff and THEN come back, then I would agree with you.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
thekavorka;2150429 said:
As much as I love the movie, it's not perfect. I really have to nitpick for some of these:

1) Some of the editing/cuts seemed a little off. Like what happened to the Joker in Bruce's penthouse after Batman/Rachel fell out? I also would have liked to see how the Joker was able to take the cop hostage in the interrogation room. Just stuff like that. Basically, I wish the movie was even longer.

2) The dialog during the SWAT chase was terrible. "that's not good. that's really not good".

3) The cell phone sonar was a little out there. Although they introduced it in the Hong Kong scene, I thought the sonar was a little too crazy for Nolan's universe. Then again, we got to see badass Batman with the white eyes.

4) Although they replaced Katie Holmes with Maggie Gyllenhall, I didn't think she was any better or worse than Holmes. Just not as pretty.

There are little idiosyncrasies in all movies...

The one thing I picked up on was "Gotham General Hospital"... obviously Gotham is NYC, that tiny little hospital would not have been "Gotham General"... it was much too small...

Great movie nonetheless...

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
Am I still the only one that thought this movie was poor????

Apparently I am. I'm blown away by all the glowing reviews. I really am.

I just thought this movie could really have been something special. There were just too many things that bugged me.

1. Why was the scarecrow in this movie? He's a great character and he was there for 30 seconds. I think he had 2 lines. Why use him? And batman catches him by jumping on his roof?

2. Why did batman need a lighter more agile suit? They seemed to make a big deal about it early, so I figured it would come into play at the end, but it didn't. Superhero's don't complain about comfort. Go kick some ***.

3. There was no flow to this script. It went from here, to there, back to here so fast there was no flow whatsoever. The last half of the movie should have been cut to death. Way too long, and way too much going on.

4. The Ferry scene with was totally useless. It just shouldn't have been there.

5. The "sonar" thing with the hostages and swat members was so completely over the top it shouldn't have even been filmed, let alone kept in the movie. And Morgan Freeman having a cow because he had to "spy" on all of Gotham to find out where the Joker was, but Freeman was so outraged he was going to quit? Hey, Batman is trying to catch a homicidal maniac, sorry we have to eavesdrop on some people to find out where he was. It was a total reference to the Patriot Act and Prez Bush pushing the envelope in order to catch Terrorists.

6. The last 90 minutes just ruined this movie. There was way too much going on and it was all unnecessary.

7. The guy who found out who Batman was......why? Why was that in there at all? it had nothing to do with the story.

8. Harvey Dent shoudl have been introduced in another movie. It made this one too complex and too long. A bad guy is introduced an hour and half into a movie? Wow, thats a new one.

There was enough in this movie to make it great, there really was, but the stuff they kept in there was so totally unneccesary, it killed it for me.

Blast away boys !!!!!

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Yup, too complex for you. Which is strange, because it wasn't complex at all. Some people just like EXTREMELY simple stories. Oh well.

CowboyWay

Reaction score
I guess my questions were too complex for you that you couldn't answer them?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
trickblue;2150889 said:
There are little idiosyncrasies in all movies...

The one thing I picked up on was "Gotham General Hospital"... obviously Gotham is NYC, that tiny little hospital would not have been "Gotham General"... it was much too small...

Great movie nonetheless...
There's a relatively small, 152-bed hospital, on Madison Avenue in New York City (Harlem) called North General Hospital, but it doesn't have the city's name in it's title. :)

http://www.northgeneral.org/index.html

Kevinicus

Reaction score
CowboyWay;2150955 said:
Am I still the only one that thought this movie was poor????

Apparently I am. I'm blown away by all the glowing reviews. I really am.

I just thought this movie could really have been something special. There were just too many things that bugged me.

1. Why was the scarecrow in this movie? He's a great character and he was there for 30 seconds. I think he had 2 lines. Why use him? And batman catches him by jumping on his roof?

2. Why did batman need a lighter more agile suit? They seemed to make a big deal about it early, so I figured it would come into play at the end, but it didn't. Superhero's don't complain about comfort. Go kick some ***.

3. There was no flow to this script. It went from here, to there, back to here so fast there was no flow whatsoever. The last half of the movie should have been cut to death. Way too long, and way too much going on.

4. The Ferry scene with was totally useless. It just shouldn't have been there.

5. The "sonar" thing with the hostages and swat members was so completely over the top it shouldn't have even been filmed, let alone kept in the movie. And Morgan Freeman having a cow because he had to "spy" on all of Gotham to find out where the Joker was, but Freeman was so outraged he was going to quit? Hey, Batman is trying to catch a homicidal maniac, sorry we have to eavesdrop on some people to find out where he was. It was a total reference to the Patriot Act and Prez Bush pushing the envelope in order to catch Terrorists.

6. The last 90 minutes just ruined this movie. There was way too much going on and it was all unnecessary.

7. The guy who found out who Batman was......why? Why was that in there at all? it had nothing to do with the story.

8. Harvey Dent shoudl have been introduced in another movie. It made this one too complex and too long. A bad guy is introduced an hour and half into a movie? Wow, thats a new one.

There was enough in this movie to make it great, there really was, but the stuff they kept in there was so totally unneccesary, it killed it for me.

Blast away boys !!!!!

Wow, I know a lot of people pick on people not liking movies because they just don't get it, and usually that pisses me off because I think plenty of people get movies and just don't like them, but you basically laid it all out in your points that you in fact, do not get it. I'm not going to respond to your points, I'm just going to say I think you're completely, way, way off the mark on this one. I can give you #5 somewhat, but everything else doesn't compute.

Just saw it this afternoon, and it is easily the best, most complete film I have seen in a very long time. Great story, great characters, great pacing, great acting, good action, good (sometimes great) humor. I can't imagine it being topped this year.

And as far as people talking about spoilers...since when is Dent's fall a spoiler? There are actually people who weren't aware of that?

trickblue

Reaction score
CowboyWay;2150955 said:

If I caught it correctly, it was so he could deal with dogs. He needed to be more agile and quick to fend them off...

trickblue

Reaction score
DallasEast;2150991 said:
There's a relatively small, 152-bed hospital, on Madison Avenue in New York City (Harlem) called North General Hospital, but it doesn't have the city's name in it's title. :)

http://www.northgeneral.org/index.html

I realize there will be small hospitals, but they made this one sound major...

CowboyWay

Reaction score
ChldsPlay;2150992 said:
Wow, I know a lot of people pick on people not liking movies because they just don't get it, and usually that pisses me off because I think plenty of people get movies and just don't like them, but you basically laid it all out in your points that you in fact, do not get it. I'm not going to respond to your points, I'm just going to say I think you're completely, way, way off the mark on this one. I can give you #5 somewhat, but everything else doesn't compute.

Just saw it this afternoon, and it is easily the best, most complete film I have seen in a very long time. Great story, great characters, great pacing, great acting, good action, good (sometimes great) humor. I can't imagine it being topped this year.

And as far as people talking about spoilers...since when is Dent's fall a spoiler? There are actually people who weren't aware of that?

So you posted to tell me that I don't get it, but you're not going to tell me why? Thats a bummer. If you can refute my points, I will gladly listen. I don't want to hate the movie. I just want to know why you all loved it so much.