My solutions for a better 2022

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
After the pain of this latest nut kick has calmed down enough.. we must endeavor to figure out to avoid a repeat next season. Here's mine..

#1 ) Fire Philbin - The o-line struggles are on him.. These guys are too good to be getting whipped with this much regularity. he gotta go...

#2) and maybe 1a) replace Williams.. too many holding calls and too many times pushed back into the QB or the running back.. He gotta go.

#3) Pray somebody hires Kellen Moore away.. When teams are all saying the same thing about how to stop your offense (and it keeps working) then it's time for a new offense. The Cowboys have never been good when they could not run the ball consistently.. and Moore does not want to run the ball at all. He gotta go.

#4) Draft another Micah Parsons.. no not necessarily another super freak linebacker.. just another hungry play maker on defense. Failing that, get us a dawg for the offensive line to replace either Williams or Biadasz.. better if we could replace both.. maybe one draft pick, maybe one FA vet.

#5) Get healthy.. Captain Obvious right.. The big three of Dak, Zeke and Tyron being dinged up frankly derailed this season as much as anything.. Neither of these guys was the same player after their injury and the cumulative effect on the offense when THEY dropped off was monumental.

#6) Put all the DTs on whatever program Neville Gallimore was on.. Dude clearly put on 25-30 pounds of muscle this offseason and came back a completely different body type. He now has 1-tech size and 3-tech agility.

#7) Pay whatever it takes to keep Dan Quinn.. that turnaround on defense was amazing. Even in this playoff game after getting run over early the adjustments to slow the 49ers down were impressive.

I'm sure there are other areas folks would like to give attention.. but these were the first ones that leapt to mind for me. By all means.. please share yours..

Williams doesn't need to be replaced, he needs to be backfilled. He's a free agent. We won't be signing him. Right now McGovern and Biadasz are starters on our depth chart, and there are no interior olinemen of consequence behind them. We could easily spend 2 of our first 3 picks on interior oline.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
That means even if they're wrong, they're wrong about everyone. So whatever you think about their evaluation, they're seeing DAL performing, "better," than most of the other teams.

I don't do that. I watch the All 22 that is available and go from there. But it's funny to see you making a claim in this thread after seeing that thread posted on the same day. I've seen the missed windows. I've seen the rushed progressions with time in the pocket. You have a narrative based on football speak with no actual substance.

Dude.. let me explain this to you this way.. 25 years ago my GMC pickup was throwing dozens of codes, running like crap and the check engine was on all the time.. I took it to the GM dealer and he read the codes and brought me an estimate to replace the 20 parts identified by all the codes .. it was like $2000. At the bottom of the list was the central computer itself.. I asked him if the computer was faulty how could he trust any of the information it was presenting? He said he couldn't. Then I asked him if he could just replace the computer.. He said that was a good idea but he was not allowed to. I told him to put my truck back together, called the local auto parts store, bought the central computer for $120 and replaced it myself.. The truck ran another 20 years.. never had another problem..

That's along winded way of saying PFF has consistently proven that whatever the hell they are watching is just a damn SWAG.. They have shown themselves to be the faulty computer.. Therefore they cannot be trusted. They're spewing the same flawed information about every team and every player... so anybody presenting their grades as evidence of anything is either ignorant of that or are fully aware and have an agenda. Either way.. I have no use for it. All-22 is a fine tool.. it also is not made available until 24 hours after the games are played.. I think I read somewhere that it's some rule.. yet PFF sends out their grades Monday morning after the Sunday games.. They have admitted multiple times that they use the TV feed and are guessing about their grades because they don't know assignments.. JUST LIKE ME AND YOU.. Even if they had the all-22 in real time it wouldn't so any good because again.. they don't know assignments.. reads..etc.. They can't tell you when a receiver ran a 7 yard in when he was supposed to run a 3 yard slant.. and on and on..

And like most people you clearly see what you want to see when you're watching Dak on the all-22. Of course you have seen Dak miss reads and throws.. newsflash.. so does every other QB in the league.. but according the league's own rating system he was the 3rd most efficient passer in the league this year. So he is missing reads and throws at a lower rate than all but 2 guys.. Again I can see with my own eyes that he generally had poor pass protection. I don't need you or PFF or PFT or anybody else to explain to me why my eyes are deceiving me.. because they're not.. Our line played like crap most of this season.. Dak bailed them out by either running out of trouble or just being too strong for the defender to get him on the ground probably 50-60 times this year.. and that doesn't count the 100 times Zeke saved his bacon when the line whiffed on a guy.

I get that you don't like Dak.. that's your prerogative.. but he's the QB of my favorite team for at least the next 3 years.. so I'm not going to spend an inordinate amount of time tearing him down.. just so I can go on a website and crow about how I was right every time he has a bad game.. That makes no sense whatsoever.. Why the hell would I want to celebrate my QB having a bad game!?!?!

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Williams doesn't need to be replaced, he needs to be backfilled. He's a free agent. We won't be signing him. Right now McGovern and Biadasz are starters on our depth chart, and there are no interior olinemen of consequence behind them. We could easily spend 2 of our first 3 picks on interior oline.

This wouldn't bother me at all. I still think the solution to the LG problem is moving Collins.. His footwork has clearly taken a hit so he is no longer an elite RT but he is still a strong and nasty SOB who lined up next to Tyron would just maul the left side.. and another year of growth from Steele should be the next move.. This lessens the urgency of getting help in the draft.. But either way I think it's a problem that needs to get solved.

Haimerej

Reaction score
I really hate these walls of text. I just have to break it up some...

Dude.. let me explain this to you this way.. 25 years ago my GMC pickup was throwing dozens of codes, running like crap and the check engine was on all the time.. I took it to the GM dealer and he read the codes and brought me an estimate to replace the 20 parts identified by all the codes .. it was like $2000. At the bottom of the list was the central computer itself.. I asked him if the computer was faulty how could he trust any of the information it was presenting? He said he couldn't. Then I asked him if he could just replace the computer.. He said that was a good idea but he was not allowed to. I told him to put my truck back together, called the local auto parts store, bought the central computer for $120 and replaced it myself.. The truck ran another 20 years.. never had another problem..

Good on you. Mechanics can really screw you over if you don't know what's going on.

That's along winded way of saying PFF has consistently proven that whatever the hell they are watching is just a damn SWAG.. They have shown themselves to be the faulty computer.. Therefore they cannot be trusted. They're spewing the same flawed information about every team and every player... so anybody presenting their grades as evidence of anything is either ignorant of that or are fully aware and have an agenda. Either way.. I have no use for it. All-22 is a fine tool.. it also is not made available until 24 hours after the games are played.. I think I read somewhere that it's some rule.. yet PFF sends out their grades Monday morning after the Sunday games.. They have admitted multiple times that they use the TV feed and are guessing about their grades because they don't know assignments.. JUST LIKE ME AND YOU.. Even if they had the all-22 in real time it wouldn't so any good because again.. they don't know assignments.. reads..etc.. They can't tell you when a receiver ran a 7 yard in when he was supposed to run a 3 yard slant.. and on and on..

I wish you had taken me at my word regarding PFF, because I don't necessarily disagree with you. Could've saved yourself a lot of typing.

But again, they're grading everyone the same way. As far as the particular stat I posted, you don't need to know the play call to see if the, "pass catcher is open or wide open." Sure, they don't know the assignment, the playcall, the audibles, the color of players jock straps, etc. But as long as every team is graded by the same standard, you can at least notice that they're grading some teams better than others. In something as simple as, "is the receiver open?" I think it's an easy observation.

And again- they're grading every team and for whatever reason, have Dallas in the top 5.

And like most people you clearly see what you want to see when you're watching Dak on the all-22. Of course you have seen Dak miss reads and throws.. newsflash.. so does every other QB in the league.. but according the league's own rating system he was the 3rd most efficient passer in the league this year. So he is missing reads and throws at a lower rate than all but 2 guys.. Again I can see with my own eyes that he generally had poor pass protection. I don't need you or PFF or PFT or anybody else to explain to me why my eyes are deceiving me.. because they're not.. Our line played like crap most of this season.. Dak bailed them out by either running out of trouble or just being too strong for the defender to get him on the ground probably 50-60 times this year.. and that doesn't count the 100 times Zeke saved his bacon when the line whiffed on a guy.

You don’t even watch all 22 and have the nerve to accuse me of seeing what I want to see. Dude, just stop. I could provide a post I made on an all 22 from the AZ game in which I made every statement you just made about how all QBs miss reads, it's just 1 play, etc.

Hell, I just posted a portion of the All 22 available on YouTube in a new thread. You might check it out. You'll see in my first post that I said Philbin is a problem. But at the same time, you have to have a sense of proportion. You can point to bad o line play in every single game if you want. The question is was it game killing? I'd say it was no more detrimental than the open receivers Dak missed when he had the time to hit them, if only he could get through his progressions. There's a reason why the folks who watch the film have been coming hard on Dak lately. There's a reason Drew Pearson said Dak has regressed.

I get that you don't like Dak.. that's your prerogative.. but he's the QB of my favorite team for at least the next 3 years.. so I'm not going to spend an inordinate amount of time tearing him down.. just so I can go on a website and crow about how I was right every time he has a bad game.. That makes no sense whatsoever.. Why the hell would I want to celebrate my QB having a bad game!?!?!

Ok, Jerry.

You should be above this kind of tribal nonsense. You think if a player is criticized it's personal. It's not personal. Furthermore, I'm not here playing, "I told you so," or, "celebrat[ing] my QB having a bad game." I'm calling it as I see it.

If you want to play like that, what's to keep me from saying you're celebrating a bad game for the offense because you can say you're right about Kellen? You know why I don't do that? Because I don’t give a chit about your motives, only your argument.

Right now, your argument sucks. It's all generic football speak without specifics. I give you a specific and you revert to ad hominems.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I'm considering going O-Line in the first two rounds. The defense was good enough this year to get it done unless we want to change our identity.

I'm with you on this. What was once the biggest strength of this team has become a weakness.

shabazz

Reaction score

the moral of that story should be never by a GMC Truck….pure crap. One word….Toyota

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
After the pain of this latest nut kick has calmed down enough.. we must endeavor to figure out to avoid a repeat next season. Here's mine..

#1 ) Fire Philbin - The o-line struggles are on him.. These guys are too good to be getting whipped with this much regularity. he gotta go...

#2) and maybe 1a) replace Williams.. too many holding calls and too many times pushed back into the QB or the running back.. He gotta go.

#3) Pray somebody hires Kellen Moore away.. When teams are all saying the same thing about how to stop your offense (and it keeps working) then it's time for a new offense. The Cowboys have never been good when they could not run the ball consistently.. and Moore does not want to run the ball at all. He gotta go.

#4) Draft another Micah Parsons.. no not necessarily another super freak linebacker.. just another hungry play maker on defense. Failing that, get us a dawg for the offensive line to replace either Williams or Biadasz.. better if we could replace both.. maybe one draft pick, maybe one FA vet.

#5) Get healthy.. Captain Obvious right.. The big three of Dak, Zeke and Tyron being dinged up frankly derailed this season as much as anything.. Neither of these guys was the same player after their injury and the cumulative effect on the offense when THEY dropped off was monumental.

#6) Put all the DTs on whatever program Neville Gallimore was on.. Dude clearly put on 25-30 pounds of muscle this offseason and came back a completely different body type. He now has 1-tech size and 3-tech agility.

#7) Pay whatever it takes to keep Dan Quinn.. that turnaround on defense was amazing. Even in this playoff game after getting run over early the adjustments to slow the 49ers down were impressive.

I'm sure there are other areas folks would like to give attention.. but these were the first ones that leapt to mind for me. By all means.. please share yours..

Well maybe the guys aren't as good as you think. To have a better 2022 we should start calling the players out for what they are. Mediocre, past their prime, overrated... Take your pick. Aside from Micah, Anger and Martin I have them all on my list. Add Quinn on the coaching staff, but other than those guys it's just bad expectation management.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
the moral of that story should be never by a GMC Truck….pure crap. One word….Toyota

In 2004 I bought a 1997 Suburban.. I drove that beast until the summer of 2019.. It served me for 15 years.. and had 255,000 miles on it when I left it at a mechanic in Flagstaff.. it overheated on me when I was towing my boat from Cali to TX and they told me it was going to take a couple of days to get the parts.. So I rented a truck the next day and used that tow my boat the rest of the way.. They called me the very next day when I was halfway to Texas to tell me it was fixed. leaving me two choices.. turn around and drive 400 miles back to get it.. Continue to Texas and fly back to pick it up.. or just leave it with them.. I chose the last option because the other two cost too much time and money to pick up a 25 year old vehicle. Still.. that thing was extremely useful, durable and reliable.. and it was a GMC..

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Here you go RonnieT24-

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/some-all-22-from-sf.492530/

Go watch that and get back to me. You can do it like I do, with the volume down so you can draw your own conclusions.

I don't need to go watch anything to see that Dak didn't have a good game.. Just like I don't need to rewatch Amari Cooper alligator arming a couple of slants over the middle or Cedric Wilson losing a ball in the sun or the offensive line allowing 2-3 free runners on over half our plays pass or run.. Or Kellen Moore continuing to act as if all running plays need to be up the middle whether we block anybody or not. I saw it all the first time. I'm not here to argue any of it.. My eye is on the future..

Chuck 54

Reaction score

We all know Dak played poorly in the playoff game and down the stretch when we never ran the ball. I like your thinking! Dropping back 43 times while running the ball only 16 times in a game that isn’t a blowout is no way to set any QB up for best success. Kick Moore to the curb! Get better up the middle. Run the ball with more balance all season, every game, that’s how you develop toughness and readiness for the playoffs. Just because you can beat some teams by passing all the time doesn’t mean you should.

Haimerej

Reaction score
I don't need to go watch anything to see that Dak didn't have a good game.. Just like I don't need to rewatch Amari Cooper alligator arming a couple of slants over the middle or Cedric Wilson losing a ball in the sun or the offensive line allowing 2-3 free runners on over half our plays pass or run.. Or Kellen Moore continuing to act as if all running plays need to be up the middle whether we block anybody or not. I saw it all the first time. I'm not here to argue any of it.. My eye is on the future..

What you haven't seen, unless you attended the game, is the route combinations and multiple times guys are schemed open by Kellen. The more you watch the more you'll notice that pattern throughout these games. You'll see how conservative Dak is against certain coverages, even when he's got a guy open deep.

But it's extremely telling that you refuse to watch the tape players and coaches use to evaluate the game. Ignorance is bliss...

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
What you haven't seen, unless you attended the game, is the route combinations and multiple times guys are schemed open by Kellen. The more you watch the more you'll notice that pattern throughout these games. You'll see how conservative Dak is against certain coverages, even when he's got a guy open deep.

But it's extremely telling that you refuse to watch the tape players and coaches use to evaluate the game. Ignorance is bliss...

How many Cowboys players passed your all 22 test from that game?

Haimerej

Reaction score
How many Cowboys players passed your all 22 test from that game?

As I said, it's just the portion available on YouTube. So I haven't seen any defensive snaps or even all the offense.

Based on what I've seen? The receivers haven't royally screwed up yet. The times either RB had any daylight they got what was there, but those times were few and far between.

Like I said in that thread, Philbin is a problem. I've never seen so much confusion and poor blocking assignments from the line. There's 1 run play in particular where they didn't block a single LB. It's almost like they misidentified the MIKE because at the snap Biadasz runs to the OLB, leaving the Mike untouched. It was truly baffling trying to figure out the assignments on that play. Think it's around 1:20 of the video.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
As I said, it's just the portion available on YouTube. So I haven't seen any defensive snaps or even all the offense.

Based on what I've seen? The receivers haven't royally screwed up yet. The times either RB had any daylight they got what was there, but those times were few and far between.

Like I said in that thread, Philbin is a problem. I've never seen so much confusion and poor blocking assignments from the line. There's 1 run play in particular where they didn't block a single LB. It's almost like they misidentified the MIKE because at the snap Biadasz runs to the OLB, leaving the Mike untouched. It was truly baffling trying to figure out the assignments on that play. Think it's around 1:20 of the video.

Thats my point though, Dak deserves blame for sure...but lets not act like he was out there killing well designed plays...The O-line stunk the place up along with our top 2 WR...I'm with anyone who says find an out on all the leaders on this team plus any Coach that has JG ties (MM can go packing also)...but bringing in another QB into the rest of this mess does nothing. You need to replace them all or it will be more of the same.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

I refuse to pay for All-22 because I have no use for it and will do me no good. I watched that Youtube link and am amazed that someone took the time to put that together.. even infusing poor plays from other games to make their point about the 49er game. What sense does that make? The pass plays where the guy is claiming guys are "open" .. what is he watching.. The first one where he identifies Schultz coming on the late cross as "open" .. Dak is rolling away with two guys in his face and this guy wants him to make that throw back across his body? We'll just have to disagree on the wisdom of trying to make that throw.. On one of the others where Dak hits Cooper the dude highlights other people being "open" but ignores the fact that Cooper was the deepest route run on the play.. so how is it a check down or conservative? Then there is a deep middle route that Dak missed but #97 was about to cream him when he spotted it so I'd have to give him a bit of a pass there. The guy also goes out of his way to point out guys being open on the backside of where Dak's progressions start.. BFD.. Do I really need to point out how offense works? Dak's reads start one way and work across the field.. So if a guy breaks open immediately after the snap but he is the 4th read who cares? Be open when Dak's head comes to you.. then you can talk.

I do have to agree with Drew Pearson though in that Dak needs to disagree with Moore more often. I think a lot of the problems we see in this offense is because Dak trusts Moore because he considers him a "genius" because he is so good at breaking down film and articulating the plan to attack defenses.. The problem is that football is played on the field not in the film room. Moore's theories are nice.. but out on the field stuff changes fast.. Dak needs to take control of the offense more and not be so much of a good soldier..

The thing is we don't disagree that Dak needs to be better.. what we disagree on is whether he can.. He has far more good games than he does bad games.. so I lean towards he can.. If you don't think he can then fine.. All I know is that before that calf injury he was throwing the ball as well as anybody ever has.. and I look for that guy to come back after an offseason to heal up and rehone his mechanics..

dckid

Reaction score

@RonnieT24 , how about you evaluate your boy Dak. Any thoughts there?
-You will not keep Dan Quinn unless you promote him to head coach. Dan Quinn is the number one candidate for all open positions other than Jacksonville because he excluded himself.
-Health is going to vary every year.
-Kellen Moore needs to be let go. Where are the front office guts to deal with a problem?
-Micah Parsons, the last time we drafter a similar play like him was Ware, Larry Allen, Zach Martin

RonnieT24

Reaction score
@RonnieT24 , how about you evaluate your boy Dak. Any thoughts there?
-You will not keep Dan Quinn unless you promote him to head coach. Dan Quinn is the number one candidate for all open positions other than Jacksonville because he excluded himself.
-Health is going to vary every year.
-Kellen Moore needs to be let go. Where are the front office guts to deal with a problem?
-Micah Parsons, the last time we drafter a similar play like him was Ware, Larry Allen, Zach Martin

Dak is not my "boy" he is the QB of my team.. My thoughts? I have essentially come to the conclusion that what we saw from Dak after the calf injury was a result of a guy fighting his body. He did not trust the calf to plant it when rolling out.. and it cost him the mechanics on those and other throws. The other issue I saw from him was that he (and his OC) lost patience and took shots deep when there were shorter throws available to keep the chains moving. Same with his hesitation to run when the lanes were there. Those things bothered me as much as anything.. The other thing that REALLY bothered me was he just would not just grab this team by the scruff of the neck and drag it to the finish line. There were times when he simply needed to "refuse to lose" and he didn't. I hate seeing my players calmly accept defeat and failure. I hope a lot of that is residue from seeing his ankle pointing out to the side last October followed by the lat problem over the summer then the calf injury. I think they added up to mess with his head.. He was not the same player after that last one.. But before that he was one of the best QBs in the game and having one of the best seasons any QB has ever had.. period.. That's the guy I expect back next summer..

Haimerej

Reaction score
Thats my point though, Dak deserves blame for sure...but lets not act like he was out there killing well designed plays...The O-line stunk the place up along with our top 2 WR...I'm with anyone who says find an out on all the leaders on this team plus any Coach that has JG ties (MM can go packing also)...but bringing in another QB into the rest of this mess does nothing. You need to replace them all or it will be more of the same.

Check out that Kurt Warner breakdown. He's critical of some play calls, but he's just devastating against Dak. Dak is missing reads, holding the ball too long, making poor decisions, etc.