My solutions for a better 2022

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Check out that Kurt Warner breakdown. He's critical of some play calls, but he's just devastating against Dak. Dak is missing reads, holding the ball too long, making poor decisions, etc.

He did for sure, and aside from maybe 2 or 3 QB's a week he could go bake and break loses down that way on most teams. Again I'm not saying dont blame Dak I'm saying swapping the QB but leaving everything else will probably net the same result.

Haimerej

Reaction score
The first one where he identifies Schultz coming on the late cross as "open" .. Dak is rolling away with two guys in his face and this guy wants him to make that throw back across his body? We'll just have to disagree on the wisdom of trying to make that throw.. On one of the others where Dak hits Cooper the dude highlights other people being "open" but ignores the fact that Cooper was the deepest route run on the play.. so how is it a check down or conservative? Then there is a deep middle route that Dak missed but #97 was about to cream him when he spotted it so I'd have to give him a bit of a pass there. The guy also goes out of his way to point out guys being open on the backside of where Dak's progressions start.. BFD.. Do I really need to point out how offense works? Dak's reads start one way and work across the field.. So if a guy breaks open immediately after the snap but he is the 4th read who cares? Be open when Dak's head comes to you.. then you can talk.

Dude... the reason why he's late getting through his progressions is because he's not recognizing what the defense is doing. Watch the Kurt Warner video. The fact you're saying Dak isn't seeing guys until it's too late means you're saying he's too slow to read the field. I don't think you could explain, "how offense is supposed to work," if these are your takeaways.

You're basically saying at this point you know more than Kurt Warner. Lol

kwcool619

Reaction score
All anyone has to do is watch how Mahomes and Brady operate. They are using shallow routes and throwing to their running backs all day, which draws the defense up then they burn it up downfield before the defense realizes it. Kellen’s route designs for the running backs are just lazy.

To me, there is nothing like a well designed wheel route.

Haimerej

Reaction score
The thing is we don't disagree that Dak needs to be better.. what we disagree on is whether he can.. He has far more good games than he does bad games.. so I lean towards he can.. If you don't think he can then fine.. All I know is that before that calf injury he was throwing the ball as well as anybody ever has.. and I look for that guy to come back after an offseason to heal up and rehone his mechanics.

Problem is, again, watch the videos going around, he's not making physical mistakes. If he were making good reads and just throwing wildly all the time, you'd have a point. But he's misreading defenses and, as Kurt said, "he does this all the time... throws into zone coverage."

Haimerej

Reaction score
The other issue I saw from him was that he (and his OC) lost patience and took shots deep when there were shorter throws available to keep the chains moving. Same with his hesitation to run when the lanes were there.

This take can only come from someone not watching the actual tape.

Haimerej

Reaction score
He did for sure, and aside from maybe 2 or 3 QB's a week he could go bake and break loses down that way on most teams. Again I'm not saying dont blame Dak I'm saying swapping the QB but leaving everything else will probably net the same result.

Maybe.

They're not getting rid of Dak. The hope is he can improve. He has to improve. Tony said everything clicked for him later in his career. Hopefully that happens for Dak, because if it doesn't we're screwed.

dckid

Reaction score
Dak is not my "boy" he is the QB of my team.. My thoughts? I have essentially come to the conclusion that what we saw from Dak after the calf injury was a result of a guy fighting his body. He did not trust the calf to plant it when rolling out.. and it cost him the mechanics on those and other throws. The other issue I saw from him was that he (and his OC) lost patience and took shots deep when there were shorter throws available to keep the chains moving. Same with his hesitation to run when the lanes were there. Those things bothered me as much as anything.. The other thing that REALLY bothered me was he just would not just grab this team by the scruff of the neck and drag it to the finish line. There were times when he simply needed to "refuse to lose" and he didn't. I hate seeing my players calmly accept defeat and failure. I hope a lot of that is residue from seeing his ankle pointing out to the side last October followed by the lat problem over the summer then the calf injury. I think they added up to mess with his head.. He was not the same player after that last one.. But before that he was one of the best QBs in the game and having one of the best seasons any QB has ever had.. period.. That's the guy I expect back next summer..
Wow, I will give you some credit even though it took you several days to respond.
Dak is what I said he was this off-season. Functionally equivalent to Kirk Cousins.
You seem to have every excuse for the guy, calf injury, shoulder injury, not trust in his arm. I like how you threw in the refuse to lose attitude and accept losing so easily.
All the Dak lovers talked about his intangibles now even that is being questioned.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Maybe.

They're not getting rid of Dak. The hope is he can improve. He has to improve. Tony said everything clicked for him later in his career. Hopefully that happens for Dak, because if it doesn't we're screwed.

I dont know, things can change and good GM's have a way of doing it...our problem is we dont have a good GM. Honestly Dak and the other top players here may be good, but once you have been in this circus for a while and failed I think it consumes you and it needs a reset. I'm not saying that will net diferent results because the head clown is still the same, but if we are all honest with ourselves...how diferent does any of this look than the last 20 years?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Wow, I will give you some credit even though it took you several days to respond.
Dak is what I said he was this off-season. Functionally equivalent to Kirk Cousins.
You seem to have every excuse for the guy, calf injury, shoulder injury, not trust in his arm. I like how you threw in the refuse to lose attitude and accept losing so easily.
All the Dak lovers talked about his intangibles now even that is being questioned.

I guess my question is do you deny that what Dak was doing before he got hurt ever happened? What was it like 15-16 TDs against 2 or 3 INTs and completing 75% of his passes? Do we just pretend that didn't exist? I can't yield to any assertion that the guy we saw AFTER the injury is the "real Dak" but the guy who was on fire before the injury was somehow a mirage.. That's just stupid..

Haimerej

Reaction score
I guess my question is do you deny that what Dak was doing before he got hurt ever happened? What was it like 15-16 TDs against 2 or 3 INTs and completing 75% of his passes? Do we just pretend that didn't exist? I can't yield to any assertion that the guy we saw AFTER the injury is the "real Dak" but the guy who was on fire before the injury was somehow a mirage.. That's just stupid..

It's not uncommon for teams to start hot and fizzle as more tape gets out on them. As Kurt Warner pointed out, SF's MLB had obviously been watching film because he knew some tendencies. It's part of the game- the other guys are paid, too.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
It's not uncommon for teams to start hot and fizzle as more tape gets out on them. As Kurt Warner pointed out, SF's MLB had obviously been watching film because he knew some tendencies. It's part of the game- the other guys are paid, too.

The other team watching film didn't damage Zeke's knee.. or Pollard's foot .. or Tyron's ankle.. and yes.. Dak's calf.. And Fred Warner is one of the best MLBs in the game and our failure to account for him on so many plays was just stupid and further evidence that Moore needs to go. The Niners are not the first team to exploit the holes in our blocking scheme either.. it showed up week after week ... regardless of who was in the game.. which is why Philbin needs to follow Moore out of town.. A lot went wrong for the Cowboys down the stretch.. but all of it is fixable IMHO..

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
The other team watching film didn't damage Zeke's knee.. or Pollard's foot .. or Tyron's ankle.. and yes.. Dak's calf.. And Fred Warner is one of the best MLBs in the game and our failure to account for him on so many plays was just stupid and further evidence that Moore needs to go. The Niners are not the first team to exploit the holes in our blocking scheme either.. it showed up week after week ... regardless of who was in the game.. which is why Philbin needs to follow Moore out of town.. A lot went wrong for the Cowboys down the stretch.. but all of it is fixable IMHO..

I want to believe this Ronnie but again if we are honest with ourselves..How diferent is that statement from when Romo's core was good....Again there are few legite answers when the head guy is so bad....How is it we are always talking about the execution..and why can it never be fixed?

dckid

Reaction score
@RonnieT24 , I am not denying that Dak is a good QB. Go look at Cousins numbers and you will be surprised how many 300 yd games and how many 4000 yard plus seasons he has put up. Hell even Kyle loves Cousins. I never said you couldn't win with Dak or Dak equivalents. You basically need everything to break right. Even the Niners with a 20-10 lead in the 4th quarter with Jimmy G ( Dak equivalent) could not beat Mahomes.
These average QB's just don't seem to have the ability to make the play to win the game. Paying these guys 40 million a year will NEVER work out. Goff, Wentz, Dak, Jimmy G, Cousins, even Flacco. The team instantly regrets making that deal. You sign it holding your nose.
With a FO like ours, you will never maximize Dak.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I literally cannot muster the strength to read RonaldT24’s long winded manifesto.

Let me guess…he wants to give Zeke 25 carries a game?

Haimerej

Reaction score

But again- those things aren't why they lost the game. Yes- there was some plays with bad protection. There were also plays where Dak held too long, missed his windows, and got sacked. There's just too many examples of well designed plays getting guys open and Dak not recognizing it. Hopefully that can be fixed.

But I'm not going to sit here and say they couldn't have won that game. The plays were there. Again, watch that Kurt Warner video. You'll see how much of the mental side of things Dak seems to be struggling with.

dckid

Reaction score
You are correct in the first 6 games. We played
Tampa- he played great
Chargers- We should have lost... Z hits a 55 yd FG. Got lucky.. it happens, we probably should have beaten Tampa
Philly
Carolina
Giants
NE- Cowboys should have won by 10 points, but it took overtime.

You know there is another saying, lies, damn lies and then statistics.....
Dak is a good QB. Just leave it at that. To me he is a replaceable QB and always has been. There is no shame in being that QB.

fansince68

Reaction score
Besides the obvious unwillingness to adapt, I feel like our offense is too vertical. It takes for-ev-er to develop and is boom or bust. I think Dak is better suited to run a west coast offense.
It takes forever for pass plays to develop then Dak is late with the throw or throws it behind the receiver