CFZ My Theory on Last Year's Loss to 9ers, Washing Off My McCarthy Resentment

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
We lost because we had zero running game after Pollard went down. Even with the two interceptions we still could have won that game if we could have been two dimensional. That being said I am looking forward to seeing how the new offensive philosophies work for us this year.
Yep and add what Jimmie Ward said after they beat us in the first play-off game in January 2022.....

“We went in there and did what we needed to do: Stop the run and force them to be one-dimensional. See if Prescott could win the game for them,”

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
When you have 2 of the top 3 worst separators in the league at receiver and a tier 2 qb, this is what happens. People can hate on Cooper, but this is what they dearly missed in this game and showed.
But the same happened in 2022 when Cooper played. I think you'll find we need to establish the running game to keep the 9er's honest and force them away from the Cover -7 Defense.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My theory is MM failed at simply controlling penalties for 2 years and I expect less trying to execute a game plan.
I'm still going with week 5 for a Quinn takeover and then onwards and upwards.

birdwells1

Reaction score
My theory is that you went into the game with only 2 legit playmakers on offense and after Pollard went down you only had 1 left for the remaining 3 quarters. Trying to beat the best defense in the league with only one threat is a tall task especially with Kellen's play calling. Ryan's had Moore's number the year prior so it was a walk in the park after Pollard went down.

Xeven

Reaction score
Not sure I agree with everything but you have to remember the Jones keep their thumb on the coaches. If Moore was forced on McCarthy, he certainly going to give Kellen enough rope to hang oneself.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For those who may be critical of the franchise's 34 years and counting general manager, who oversees and approves player acquisitions and the coaching staff, please know that Tex Schramm probably coached him up pretty good about being a GM.

Just kidding.

shabazz

Reaction score
You mean the team that had a losing record? This team better be able to beat sub .500 teams every day of the week.
It’s hard to imagine why anybody would beat their chest about beating the 8-9 Bucs ,who had no business being in the playoffs ,and then turn around the next week and score just 1 TD in 60 minutes of football against the Niners?

in reality what we saw was a cowboys team that was wildly inconsistent in the 2nd half of the season and rarely put 2 dominating performances in a row. If we see real consistency down the stretch this season we’ll know how this team is going to fare in the playoffs

Last season playoff performances were 100% predictable

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
My biggest gripe with McCarthy last year was not developing a relationship or incorporating himself into the offense along with Kellen Moore. Not sure if that was on McCarthy or if Moore had some perception-based hang ups over that. Also, game management, and clock management.

But, I think it became evident to him. And, essentially, looking from a hindsight perspective, trying to see from the viewpoint of someone with more foresight and true knowledge on the matter than I, I think he folded in order to take his chances with the dealer knowing he'd have a stacked hand next round.

So, the cards come out. Going by the number of cards, we added two more potential Aces in the offseason with Cooks and Gilmore.

That already makes you feel better about going into next year against that same classless 9ers squad. And you'll have more confidence. Not because your team couldn't beat them, but because you mucked up that last play call: the snap to Zeke, the lay up for Turp to get blown up so embarrassingly like that. I'm saying that because I've been laid up like that by noodle arms and es no bueno. Thanks Coach, McCarthy. Creative play for the win — as far as who gets the blame.

Anyway, that's my theory. I'm giving Mike the benefit of the doubt knowing he's there up close, dealing with it all, and I'm not. So, I can enjoy the season, win lose or draw. Personally, I'm not going to get caught up in the winning thing right now, and just take each game as it comes.

I also vow not to worry about which seed the team gets. Just get this one into the tournament.
I don't think its quite that way, although they maybe a little truth to it. Moore was the chosen one. much like Garrett was. Jerry wanted to say I found the next genuis. he said once when Garrett was head coach, that Moore reports to him (jerry). so Moore was his snitch. and then Moore was retained with MM, who said himself he doesn't know the offense or offensive terminology and he doesn't run the offense. Jerry hires an offensive head coach and then ties his hands to an OC with all of 2 years of experience. this was inevitable.

I argued when Moore was promoted to OC, that it was a bad move. somebody who had all of 1 year of coaching experience at any level. let that sink in. ONE YEAR. he was bound to make mistake, genuis or not. even Eisntein made mistakes until he got his math right. no NFL coach, head coach goes from zero to OC in one year. they all earn their stripes. and give enough tape to any good experienced DC or good OC in the league and they will find your tendencies, your weaknesses.

Moore was still somewhat green last year. still making a lot of the same mistakes. still thinking he was in college and had difficulty against better DCs in the league. MM was frustrated. he spoke out after the season, clearly indicating he didn't like the game management.

also, last year was jerry being jerry. coming off of 2021. trying to fool himself and the fans. Brown was our 3rd WR. a player who barely cracked the #6 spot, became a critical player. over 8 M dollars he didn't want to pay wilson. and thinking Gallup was going to be OK, coming off mid season surgery!!! and then there was Schultz who most of this board wanted gone. Jerry as he has done for 27 years. milks one year based previous year's success to maximize profits. then he makes quick course correction. finally he learned, that he can't go cheap on DT and spent a first round pick (I hope it works out), for the first time since he has taken over as a GM. he is addressing the defense and spending/investing on that side of the ball. glad he retained QUinn who now is able to shape the defense into his type of defense (transitions usually take 2,3 years).

lets see how MM does with the team this year.

Flamma

Reaction score
My biggest gripe with McCarthy last year was not developing a relationship or incorporating himself into the offense along with Kellen Moore. Not sure if that was on McCarthy or if Moore had some perception-based hang ups over that. Also, game management, and clock management.

But, I think it became evident to him. And, essentially, looking from a hindsight perspective, trying to see from the viewpoint of someone with more foresight and true knowledge on the matter than I, I think he folded in order to take his chances with the dealer knowing he'd have a stacked hand next round.

So, the cards come out. Going by the number of cards, we added two more potential Aces in the offseason with Cooks and Gilmore.

That already makes you feel better about going into next year against that same classless 9ers squad. And you'll have more confidence. Not because your team couldn't beat them, but because you mucked up that last play call: the snap to Zeke, the lay up for Turp to get blown up so embarrassingly like that. I'm saying that because I've been laid up like that by noodle arms and es no bueno. Thanks Coach, McCarthy. Creative play for the win — as far as who gets the blame.

Anyway, that's my theory. I'm giving Mike the benefit of the doubt knowing he's there up close, dealing with it all, and I'm not. So, I can enjoy the season, win lose or draw. Personally, I'm not going to get caught up in the winning thing right now, and just take each game as it comes.

I also vow not to worry about which seed the team gets. Just get this one into the tournament.
Getting the first seed is very beneficial. The last two times the Cowboys were #1 seeds they ran into some pretty tough competition. But sometimes you get a cakewalk like the Eagles had last year.

Jarntt

Reaction score

Why do people keep thinking this had ANYTHING to do with our loss.

Jarntt

Reaction score
That's a lazy narrative. He was a part of the problem, but he was definitely not the only one that did not step up.
I like Dak, but he was a BIG part of the problem. He needs to be much better in those spots.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
It was a combination. Dak played awful. He was like deer in the headlights again.He was playing bad even before the Pollard injury. Plus the GM never improved the WR position after he got rid of Cooper. After Pollard went down the game was over. I will never blame the defense for that loss. they played good enough to win. And that's the same way I feel about this year. I'm not worried about the defense. It's the offense that has question marks.

starfan1

Reaction score
Dak played terrible, he was good against the Bucs the week before, he just froze up against the 49ers. Classic choke job, all he had to do was not throw those picks
and all the WRs had to do was get separation and all Pollard had to do is not get hurt and all the OL had to do was pass block better and all Diggs had to to do is not olay on Kittle and hold on to the easy pick all Gallup had to is run the correct route and all moore had to do was call a running play on 2nd and 2. As much as some of you just want to blame Dak for everything its not just dak. It was by far his worse performance in the playoffs though Ill give you that but he had help. He is simply not good enough to overcome the other defencies that come about during a season. I dont care that they replace him tmrw but there is too many football bozos in here that just want to blame the QB when its rarely just that.

San fran has the best front 7 in football and our OL is average now we have a couple of promising pieces but they are average.. They missed Steeles run blocking. The sad part is its not going to be much better this year as they did absolutely nothing to fix it depth problem.If they have to trot out Josh Ball were screwed. Josh ball shouldnt even make this team

kskboys

Reaction score

I think your vein of thought is correct. However, MM didn't fold, he was given a 3 season timeout while KMo ran the O. I guarantee you that was not his wish. That was a condition on his hiring.

Put it this way. Dak was terrible vs the 49ers. The playcalling was a big reason. There was no adjustment to the O that I could see. We simply played the exact same O. Problem was, it was not the exact same D we were facing. SF had the #1 D in the NFL last year. TB was 9th. Huge difference. And we played them the exact same. There is your problem.

kskboys

Reaction score
The team was hamstrung by the front office when they went into the season with the WR corps they put on the field. Against the number one defense in the 9er game, it was evident Cee Dee was it. The offensive line had been off and on, yet while facing the best defense in the league the running game could not own the line. Then Pollard went down.

Yet, the teams were tied in the second quarter when the Dallas running game fell apart because of injury.

And it stayed tied until moments before the fourth quarter.

No real threat as a passing attack and no threat of running after Pollard went down and this team lost.

The front office is responsible for the players on the team. If the blame lies anywhere, it surely rests on the front office who went to war with question marks at critical positions.
And look at this season. At RB, it's Pollard and no one at present. Our best hope is that someone pans out at RB to form a tandem w/ Polly.

75boyz

Reaction score
My resentment still remains with a HC who won't assert himself 2 straight years when it's obvious his OC is struggling. Elbow the kid outta the way and show your SB winning pedigree for gosh sakes.
But anyhow, at least we will finally get to see if he can fix the poor decision making mechanism of his starting QB that the 2 previous playcallers were unable to overcome.
Proof will be in the pudding. Was it the play called or execution of said play?

I know already but it's gonna be fun to see it play out.