My thoughts on a slim view

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the DB doesn't lose the ball (or situational awareness or whatever it was he did) the DB would have been in a better position to make a play on the ball than the receiver.

Having said that, Gallup may have sold the route really well and caused the DB's hiccup. I'm really not sure and we will probably never know.

This is all true - the DB did not perform as well as he could or should have. But that doesn't mean the throw and catch wasn't performed well.

Verdict

Reaction score
I'm still missing the logic on this. Sure this, as with any pass from any QB, could be slightly better, but the receiver didn't have to slow down or speed up, he didn't have to out jump or out muscle a defender, he didn't have to dive or twist his body or make any significant adjustment to the ball ... so how can there be an issue with the performance?

You are looking only at the result which WAS a thing of beauty. If not for the DBs "hitch" it really could have been problematic. I'm just saying what I saw.

Look I want to be all aboard on the Dak train and on Gallup's band wagon, but it is what it is.

It was a touchdown. That's great. It shows promise.

Dak doesn't really look all that comfortable yet. That should settle back down. It's really early on in the season. The guys behind Dak are sure not near ready yet, so we had better hope Dak has a great year.

Verdict

Reaction score
This is all true - the DB did not perform as well as he could have. But that doesn't mean the throw and catch wasn't performed well.

I'm as happy about the TD as you are. I'm encouraged by the play.

I also see the other side of he fence. No more no less.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are looking only at the result which WAS a thing of beauty. If not for the DBs "hitch" it really could have been problematic. I'm just saying what I saw.

Look I want to be all aboard on the Dak train and on Gallup's band wagon, but it is what it is.

Dak doesn't really look all that comfortable yet. That should settle back down. It's really early on in the season. The guys behind Dak are sure not near ready yet, so we had better hope Dak has a great year.
That's what is was trying to say. You are just a lot more articulate than me. Lol!!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

No, I'm looking at the throw and the catch, which is the performance. The DB's "hitch" was about the DB's performance, not about Dak or Gallup's performance. The route was run well, the throw was on the money, and the catch was made smoothly. The fact the DB could have played it better doesn't somehow mean that isn't true.

kskboys

Reaction score
OMG, just rewatched. The throw was absolutely perfect.

Seriously, go rewatch it if you think otherwise. The DB lost a step when he turned his head to look for the ball, Gallup absolutely flew past him. This was a perfectly executed play.

If you want to pick fleas, go find a dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Verdict

Reaction score
This is all true - the DB did not perform as well as he could or should have. But that doesn't mean the throw and catch wasn't performed well.

If the DB doesn't have a hitch, then he could have had the INT. How is a ball put where the DB can intercept it "perfect"? I don't see it like you guys do, but whatever. Lol. It WAS a touchdown. I cheered. I was happy.

I also realize that:

1.!the result could have been different and
2. At the time Dak threw the ball he probably could not have anticipated the hitch by the DB.
3. If Dak could have anticipated the hitch by the DB for some reason then my analysis would probably be different.

Verdict

Reaction score
No, I'm looking at the throw and the catch, which is the performance. The DB's "hitch" was about the DB's performance, not about Dak or Gallup's performance. The route was run well, the throw was on the money, and the catch was made smoothly. The fact the DB could have played it better doesn't somehow mean that isn't true.

Ok. Lol. Whatever. I'm not anti Dak. Nor anti Gallup. I'm rooting for both. But it is what it is.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm as happy about the TD as you are. I'm encouraged by the play.

I also see the other side of he fence. No more no less.

The other side of the fence is nitpicking though. The Cowboys performed the play well, the DB didn't, and that's the way it works most of the time a deep pass is completed by any team. The norm isn't that the DB plays it perfectly and only by some miracle the WR out fought or out jumped him. Sure that happens occasionally, but overall long passes aren't completed when DBs play the ball and receiver perfectly.

Verdict

Reaction score
The other side of the fence is nitpicking though. The Cowboys performed the play well, the DB didn't, and that's the way it works most of the time a deep pass is completed by any team. The norm isn't that the DB plays it perfectly and only by some miracle the WR out fought or out jumped him. Sure that happens occasionally, but overall long passes aren't completed when DBs play the ball and receiver perfectly.

No. It's not nitpicking. If the DB performs his normal function, it's probably a pick.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Ya,of the 13 flags awarded to our BOYS,,,#30 gotta hold up both hands in that upcoming accountability meeting forthwitho_O

*I think it was a 13/5 ratio penalties fest:confused:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the DB doesn't have a hitch, then he could have had the INT. How is a ball put where the DB can intercept it "perfect"? I don't see it like you guys do, but whatever. Lol. It WAS a touchdown. I cheered. I was happy.

I also realize that:

1.!the result could have been different and
2. At the time Dak threw the ball he probably could not have anticipated the hitch by the DB.
3. If Dak could have anticipated the hitch by the DB for some reason then my analysis would probably be different.

See my post above - few long passes are completed by any team with DBs playing the ball and receiver perfectly. And, as I've said this before, there is a reason teams actually use draft picks and spend money to get receivers - they expect them to make plays, and QB's have to give them that chance. A QB can't make every pass difficult for his receiver to catch out of concern the opposing DB will make a perfect play, and that's especially true with longer passes where teams are taking shots with full knowledge that it isn't a high percentage pass.

You are right that Dak couldn't have anticipated the hitch by the CB, but on a play like the QB has to throw the ball before the WR breaks clear of the CB and trust the WR to find a way to get clear. If he were to wait until he is already clear to throw the ball it would be too late - the safety would be camped out waiting and there wouldn't be enough field left to stay in bounds anyway. Granted a slightly higher throw might have been better to help keep the ball a little further away from the CBs reach had he played it better, but you are talking about a matter of a couple of feet difference on a ball that travelled about 38 yards in the air. That's not a realistic expectation for any QB.

JustChip

Reaction score
I understand that you weren't calling it a mistake, but Ranching was, and you did suggest that his comments had merit. In the end you and I agree, but I don't think Ranching has a point at all. Again, sure the pass could have been at least incrementally better, but Ranching was treating it as a bad pass that only succeeded by luck.

I could've been clearer when I was saying my point exactly. What I was agreeing with was that the pass was short and, had the db not misplayed it, it wouldn't have been a TD. But I would venture to say that probably 50%, if that many, of the deep passes thrown are perfect across the league. Hell, Eli won his first Super Bowl because of a very imperfect pass. On the flip side, Joe Flacco threw a perfect pass against Denver in the playoffs that resulted in game tying TD only because the DB completely misplayed it. Bottom line, it doesn't have to be perfect to be successful.

Last edited:

JustChip

Reaction score
Not giving that for a 29 year old safety
I agree. I'm pretty sure, no proof though, that SD would've swapped firsts with us for the price of a 2nd so we could get Derwin James. Now, there's no guarantees Derwin is Earl Thomas, but neither are there guarantees ET going forward is ET of the past. You'd have Derwin then for 5 years (more if you FT) at a reasonable salary.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I could've been clearer when I was saying my point exactly. What I was agreeing with was that the pass was short and, had the db not misplayed it, it wouldn't have been a TD. But I would venture to say that probably 50%, if that may, of the deep passes thrown are perfect across the league. Hell, Eli won his first Super Bowl because of a very imperfect pass. On the flip side, Joe Flacco through a perfect pass against Denver in the playoffs that resulted in game tying TD only because the DB completely misplayed it. Bottom line, it doesn't have to be perfect to be successful.
You gotta be real clear around here, if not some Einsteins start taking your posts and twisting them around.

Swanny

Reaction score
I was drinking whiskey, but it appeared to me that it was sort of a back shoulder type pass that was thrown where it was supposed to be thrown. Didn't Gallup start breaking back when the ball was thrown? To me, it looked like the ball was where it was supposed to be.
I mean it's hard to argue that it wasn't a perfect throw. I think it would take some serious science and calculations and inches to say it was underthrown

JustChip

Reaction score
You are looking only at the result which WAS a thing of beauty.
Honestly, this is the problem with so many differences of opinion and critiques. They're driven by the only tangible aspect - the result. A lot of JG's, Dak's, Romo's criticism is because of the result, but there's no assurance that changing the actions changes the result. E.g., the universal assumption is that Pete Carroll cost Seattle their 2nd Super Bowl because of not running Lynch from the 1. But assuming that running Lynch was an automatic TD is wrong. Any number of things could've happened to not score a TD. Romo pointed out what I had forgot, we had a first and goal from the 1 in the next to last game of 2013 in Washington and 3 straight runs put us at 4 and goal from the 10.

Verdict

Reaction score
I could've been clearer when I was saying my point exactly. What I was agreeing with was that the pass was short and, had the db not misplayed it, it wouldn't have been a TD. But I would venture to say that probably 50%, if that many, of the deep passes thrown are perfect across the league. Hell, Eli won his first Super Bowl because of a very imperfect pass. On the flip side, Joe Flacco threw a perfect pass against Denver in the playoffs that resulted in game tying TD only because the DB completely misplayed it. Bottom line, it doesn't have to be perfect to be successful.

That's right. I'm not saying Dak sucks. Lol. I'm saying the pass was short. And it was.