My worst days as a Cowboys Fan

Tommy

Reaction score
Interestingly enough that bears 44-0 game was the first I remember actaully sitting down and paying attention to, I remember walking into 7-11 the next week and seeing the SI cover with some bear yanking on the sorry cowboy qb.

eagles 44-6
Skids Roy William personal foul face mask to give them another shot at winning
Dez non catch
A A Ron sideline toss to win playoff game
Bills crushing Dallas on turkey day
9ers playoff loss this past season
And finally ANY loss to the donkeys. Ima be such an *** when we finally beat them
I have a few memories of that game:

I remember being upset that the game was not being televised locally here in Florida due to the Bucs regional game. But there was some problem that caused a delay to the Bucs game and when I turned on the tv the start of Bears/Cowboys was on. I saw Dallas receive the kickoff and I think the first play from scrimmage was about a 20yd run by Tony Dorsett. The coverage then switched back to the Bucs but I was so pumped after that run I thought we were going to kill the Bears.

I remember Dorsett ending up with about 33yd rushing and he may have complained about the blocking. Landry said he should be able to get 33yds without any blocking.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
To those who mentioned the Jackie Smith drop - sure, it was a bad moment, but what people forget is that it happened in the 3rd quarter with plenty of time left and a small deficit. Dallas simply failed pull it out after several more opportunities to do so. If that was a game winning drop, heck yes it would have been a VERY BAD thing. The Dallas D couldn't stop Pitt that day, that's what really lost the game.

'The Catch', on the other hand, was truly a back breaking last minute play. Danny White only had 51 seconds to try a miracle.

ghst187

Reaction score
Easily the Dwight Clark catch…easily the worst.
The ‘94 loss to an inferior 49er team, which would’ve meant 4 in a row
Jimmy J leaving
The Dez catch/no catch game (but don’t forget the Murray fumble truly LOST that game)
The 2009 draft (and season ending loss)

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Easily the Dwight Clark catch…easily the worst.
The ‘94 loss to an inferior 49er team, which would’ve meant 4 in a row
Jimmy J leaving
The Dez catch/no catch game (but don’t forget the Murray fumble truly LOST that game)
The 2009 draft (and season ending loss)
The 2009 draft....that's funny. The worst draft ever, ever, ever. God that draft was bad.
:facepalm:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Worst days?

Super Bowl V
Super Bowl X
Super Bowl XIII
"The Catch"
1994-5 NFC Championship game

Five times a Lombardi was in legitimate reach but not captured. Although I was alive, I'm not old enough to actually remember the Ice Bowl.

Acheman08

Reaction score
Most of mine have already been mentioned but:

Dwight Clark catch
Earlier that same year the niners crushed the boys and i was pretty young and remember shedding a tear
Jimmy leaving
Switzer being hired
Romo bobble
Dez catch

And, quite honestly...the last few years. The realization that a Jones will always be in charge in my lifetime is really depressing.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Tried to put in chronological order from my earliest memories. My worst days as a Cowboys fan.

• Last Landry years, team was just bad, guys like Eugene Lockhart were our new stars, nothing against him at all, we just stopped being able to stockpile talent
  • Tom Landry being fired (although in hindsight, good decision)
  • Herschel Walker traded, what is this Jimmy moron doing? Getting pounded that year, Aikman never able to stand up, and this was more to rub it in. (although in hindsight, another GREAT decision LOL)
  • Jimmy's retirement... Say what????
  • 94 San Fran NFC Championship, just being down that early was a shock, and then Deion getting away with holding, and Barry going off, and all that %*#$#...
  • Big E's car accident, Irvin's drug & bad cop case, all the crazy stuff coming out as Barry lost control of the franchise
  • We lost a lot of good depth as salary cap started, and Norton and some of those olinemen hurt, but I think the one that really made me realize how much we were going to lose was Alvin Harper, him getting that crazy contract in Tampa
  • 96 Carolina Panthers playoffs, official end of the dynasty, could just feel it, wasn't the same team anymore
  • skipping Randy Moss in draft, I stay out of amateur draft expert talk but even I knew he was special, knew we were going to regret that and didn't see any character issues that stood out
  • Getting slapped by Arizona in the first round of the playoffs. I had fooled myself into thinking we could scrounge up another great year with what was left of the dynasty. Annoying Plummer told me otherwise.
  • Michael Irvin going down against Philly, career over, if there was any doubt dynasty was over, that sealed the deal, the spirit of those SB teams forced out and almost paralyzed
  • pick a game getting pounded by Minnesota because of the aforementioned horrible decision to skip Randy Moss
  • Aikman's retirement, a once proud always emotionless leader crying up there and admitting he couldn't do it anymore
  • Quincy Carter draft pick, and then blowing it when he looked like Parcells might make something of him... reach signings like Henson and Hutchinson.. Guys like Clint Stoerner... Testaverde's last hoorah... just some rough, rough QB years between Aikman and Romo
  • Texans kicking our butts in their first game
  • Dave Campo's third year, three miserable barely winning seasons, draft picks given up, all vets gone except for LA and Woody... but also one of my Best Days as a Cowboys Fan when ESPN released news Jerry and Parcells were talking, what a shock!
  • Tuey's overdose, sad.
  • Seattle Seahawks playoff game and Romo's fumbled snap, what a slap in the face, watching him with his head down as the Seahawks celebrate, that stuff wasn't supposed to happen to a Parcells team
  • Parcells's retirement, felt like we had one more good year for him to win it all
  • Wade's first year and that first round Playoffs loss after everything looked like it was headed to a Super Bowl
  • Green Bay loss with Garrett, from the blocked FG to the fumble to the bull%#*$# call on Dez's catch, playoff games really started hurting about that point, too much misery
  • Romo going down early the next year, and then the next year too (before I knew how good Dak was going to be)
  • Dak and Zeke looking like ROY, Leary having a career year and that Oline showing up for Dak like they did with Romo, and just getting pounded by Green Bay in playoffs, then almost winning it to not win it at the end, the misery!
  • T Fred going down with such a freak rare disease... those 3 linemen were the heart and soul of those teams that went far under Garrett, we never had a great defense... and our RBs, QBs would come and go, but those 3 were always the Iron Wall, knew it was over when we lost Frederick
  • Zeke getting suspended, was a bull%#*$# move by commissioner, but it also quickly took the shine off Zeke who looked like we got lucky and had another Dorsett, Emmitt, legend in the making
  • Same duo with Coop now thinking we had another Triplets, the hottest team in the league, have those LBers like LVE and Jaylon looking like winners and the HotBoyz looking like legit defense... then Rams just punched us in the face, more Playoffs worst days!
  • Watching last year's team start out so hot and then just fall apart by end of season... Playoff loss didn't bother me as much because I knew we weren't going to win after the season collapse, sort of used to the misery as you can see by this list. LOL

Last edited:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
One more for my list I just thought about. Barry's last year. That one game when all the players got on knee and held hands as they attempted the FG to win. How far we had fallen. Just looking for leadership and direction. Last of the players clinging on for strength. Jerry and Barry, you messed up such a great situation!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
  • The worst days in my life as a sports fan:
    • Bears 44, Cowboys 0.
    • Erik Williams car wreck.
    • Romo stopped short of the goalline after the botched snap.
    • The Patrick Crayton Drop.
    • Keeping Doug Free and letting Parnell sign with Jacksonville. ;)
    • Travis Frederick retiring.
  • The worst things not directly involving the Cowboys:
    • Eli winning 2 Super Bowls.
    • Tom Brady being born.

-That Niners NFC Championship game is as bad as it gets.
-Garrett getting hired as the HC was bad.
-Cowboys passing on Randy Moss
-Jerry caving and extending Zeke for 90 million
-Drafting of Quincy Carter
-Passing on Ramsey and drafting Zeke

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
1) Hearing Jimmy Johnson was leaving.

2) Micheal Irvin career ending injury.

3) Dwight Clark in the back of the endzone.

4) Not drafting Aaron Rodgers.

5) Watching the Rams run for 200 yards in a playoff game.

6) The Dez caught it debacle.

7) Romo bobbles the snap.

8) Losing to Detroit in the 1991 playoffs.

9) Bill Parcells leaving.

10) Holding on to Garrett for so long.

OMG Parcells leaving was a great day for me.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Who are you?

I hated the Parcells era. One of the worst for me as a Cowboy. Parcells was completely washed up, his offense and scheming was outdated.

His affinity for bus driver QB's gave us no chance with Parcells as coach. 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Pathetic.

I was happy as a clam when he announced he was leaving.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Landry being fired and Jerry taking over as owner were two of the better moments for me. No disrespect to Tom Landry but it was time for him to go. It led to 3 Super Bowl wins so no complaints from me. If Landry being fired and Jerry taking over as owner was a bad time for you I’m surprised you mentioned Jimmy leaving as bad moment because he would’ve never been the head coach had Landry stayed on and Jerry never took over as owner.

So I have to like the ignominious dismissal of a Hall of Fame coach and very good man as the result of the team being purchased by the illegitimate son of Jed Clampett?

Then have that same new-money redneck and wannabe coach stomp his foot because nobody liked him, and fire the guy who actually molded the team into champions because he was jealous.

Only to bring his equally rednecked, used-car salesman, undisclipined buddy come in and estrange the franchise quarterback with his lax approach to running a football team.

Then run then entire franchise into the ground for the next 20+ years because he's living off his past glory and gets distracted by bright shiny objects (i.e. wide receivers and other washed up free agents).

Jerry slaps a new coat of paint on it every couple of years and convinces his customers and himself that next year will be just like it was a quarter of a century ago.

If it weren't for Jimmy Johnson and Mike Lynn, Cowboy fans wouldn't have celebrated a championship in almost 50 years.

Last edited: