My Yearly Report on What I Am Hearing About the Draft

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Hostile;3916952 said:
I would absolutely do that if we could. I feel like we'd be getting two of the top 10 players in this draft and one is the best player in this draft.

To trade back up into the first to grab Tyron Smith, it would take next year's first AND our 2nd this year. Not sure Smith is worth that.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheCount;3916743 said:
I'm not second guessing, I already first guessed. I hated both picks and liked neither as prospects.

So the players went where they were supposed to, and you just never liked the picks. Who's ego is reeking now? :)

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
TheSport78;3916970 said:
To trade back up into the first to grab Tyron Smith, it would take next year's first AND our 2nd this year. Not sure Smith is worth that.

Not Smith alone, but Smith and Peterson? I'd do it. It likely wouldn't just be our 2nd and that's it either...we'd probably try to get back a 3rd or 4th, which could help us jockey around the 3rd round for Rackley and Ellis.

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
casmith07;3916917 said:
Trade up for Peterson, and then trade next year's 1 to get back up around #12 to get T. Smith. Only acceptable scenario in my opinion, regarding trading up.

That would be incredible if we could make that happen, we would take care of two big needs on our O-line and secondary, hopefully we sign a S in FA. We could pull some trades once the season starts up again and stick some picks for next year.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Idgit;3917001 said:
So the players went where they were supposed to, and you just never liked the picks. Who's ego is reeking now? :)

Brewster certainly didn't go where he was supposed to go, we reached for him no doubt about it.

A player going where they were supposed to go has nothing to do with my personal opinion of the prospect. I don't think Newton or Gabbert have any business in the Top 5, that doesn't mean they won't go there.

Woods

Reaction score
TheCount;3917052 said:
Brewster certainly didn't go where he was supposed to go, we reached for him no doubt about it.

A player going where they were supposed to go has nothing to do with my personal opinion of the prospect. I don't think Newton or Gabbert have any business in the Top 5, that doesn't mean they won't go there.

Goose did have him in his top 100. Again, that doesn't make it right (obviously, it didn't), but that where Goose thought "most" NFL scouts had him ranked.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Woods;3917066 said:
Goose did have him in his top 100. Again, that doesn't make it right (obviously, it didn't), but that where Goose thought "most" NFL scouts had him ranked.

That might be where Goose had him, and he had him there late, but I wouldn't be surprised if Goose put him in there late based solely on high talk from the Cowboys about him.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
TheCount;3917072 said:
That might be where Goose had him, and he had him there late, but I wouldn't be surprised if Goose put him in there late based solely on high talk from the Cowboys about him.

I seriously doubt it. I bet his connections to the Cowboys are below average.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TheSport78;3916970 said:
To get Peterson and Smith at 6 and 12 is absolutely worth it to me to use our 2nd and 3rd round picks this year and our 1st this year and next year. Hell yes I jump all over that.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Hostile;3917079 said:
To get Peterson and Smith at 6 and 12 is absolutely worth it to me to use our 2nd and 3rd round picks this year. Hell yes I jump all over that.

I just always get weary of trading away future 1st round picks, especially on a player with POTENTIAL like Tyron Smith. Also, how was our draft the last time the Cowboys didn't have a 1st round pick? It ended up possibly being the worst draft in Jerry Jones' tenure with the Cowboys. I don't trust Jerry and this staff to have a solid draft WITHOUT a 1st round pick (see 2009). Just my two cents.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
TheCount;3917052 said:

Send Rick Gosselin an email about that then, because his extensive NFL draft sources said otherwise.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;3916781 said:
I understand what you are saying, but there are good OT's and OG's taken after the first round every year. We just need better luck finding them.

There's also good CB's taken all the time in later rounds.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
TheCount;3917072 said:

He's addressed this in the past, he says he bases his rankings on the opinions of a large number of people, not just a couple or one specific team.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TheSport78;3917126 said:
I just always get weary of trading away future 1st round picks, especially on a player with POTENTIAL like Tyron Smith. Also, how was our draft the last time the Cowboys didn't have a 1st round pick? It ended up possibly being the worst draft in Jerry Jones' tenure with the Cowboys. I don't trust Jerry and this staff to have a solid draft WITHOUT a 1st round pick (see 2009). Just my two cents.
Our first round pick next year would be one of those 2 guys. I would be just fine with that. Hell, I'd be giddy.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
dbair1967;3917127 said:
Send Rick Gosselin an email about that then, because his extensive NFL draft sources said otherwise.
And his "extensive NFL draft sources" were completely and utterly wrong.

I fail to understand that just because he went where he was supposed to go excuses the fact he is a bust.

I am very sorry to break it to you but most of the time busts go right where they were supposed to.

Bobby Carpenter went where he was supposed to. Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Jamarcus Russell, Charles Rogers, Dewayne Robertson, Vernon Gholston, Blair Thomas, Ryan Leaf, you name your bust, it was rare they were overdrafted.

Brewster's status was hardly consensus and Gosselin was one of the few who had him anywhere in the realm he was chosen. But then fans yearning for a sense of security at yet another horrible offensive line pick have been clutching this nonsense to their bosom for three years. It is comical.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Alexander;3917142 said:

I fail to understand that just because he went where he was supposed to go excuses the fact he is a bust.

I am very sorry to break it to you but most of the time busts go right where they were supposed to.

Bobby Carpenter went where he was supposed to. Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Jamarcus Russell, Charles Rogers, Dewayne Robertson, Vernon Gholston, Blair Thomas, Ryan Leaf, you name your bust, it was rare they were overdrafted.

Brewster's status was hardly consensus and Gosselin was one of the few who had him anywhere in the realm he was chosen. But then fans yearning for a sense of security at yet another horrible offensive line pick have been clutching this nonsense to their bosom for three years. It is comical.
Sure it makes a difference. There's a difference between a player simply not working out for whatever reason, which happens to every team, and having an opinion that's radically different from the rest of the NFL.

Alexander

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3917152 said:
Sure it makes a difference. There's a difference between a player simply not working out for whatever reason, which happens to every team, and having an opinion that's radically different from the rest of the NFL.

Of course, but the key here is how much weight you really put into Gosselin. If you think his information comes from numerous clubs, then you can rationalize that bad selection where it is was just of everyone being wrong. This happens with the majority of busts. Mosley stated a few days ago, "his source" told him Brewster was a tremendous reach. Funny thing is, he gets discredited because it makes Dallas look bad. It is all about perspective and how desperate someone is to make themselves feel better about a bad pick.

Again, a mistake is a mistake, whether it was one anyone can make or not. In this case, I am extremely skeptical the consensus viewpoint on Robert Brewster was anything close to where the Cowboys selected him. Jacob Rogers went a little later than he was actually projected to go, but that gets held up as proof that Bill Parcells was the worst thing to happen to Cowboys drafts.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander;3917142 said:

Nobody's excusing the fact that he busted. They're the players weren't reaches where they were drafted.

Players can bust for any number of reasons. It doesn't have to be something that should have been apparent before the draft. Big contracts change people, coaching and systems have an effect, factors like confidence, focus, addiction can come into play.

The fact is that all teams whiff on players. Recently, judging by the talen on the Dallas roster the last several years, we've whiffed less often than most. And in the case of the two OL in question, the whiff had nothing to do with anybody's ego. They were just whiffs.

Alexander

Reaction score
Idgit;3917167 said:
The fact is that all teams whiff on players. Recently, judging by the talen on the Dallas roster the last several years, we've whiffed less often than most.

Few teams have "whiffed" as badly or consistently with offensive linemen as this organization has. You cannot chalk up that kind of prolonged futility by simply snapping your fingers and damning your lack of fortune.

It is clear something is and has been wrong with our evaluation of the position. Either it is our GM or the individuals he has been listening to. Brewster is just the most recent example.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
dbair1967;3917133 said:
He's addressed this in the past, he says he bases his rankings on the opinions of a large number of people, not just a couple or one specific team.

That doesn't really have anything to do with my original point, but I am aware he bases his rankings on chatter. Where he gets his information from doesn't change the fact that Brewster was a bad prospect. Let someone else make the mistake of drafting him, why does it have to be us?