My Yearly Report on What I Am Hearing About the Draft

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheCount;3916477 said:
...Williams, Brewster and Marten are picks that just reek of ego, there was nothing about Marten or Brewster that suggested either had much upside.

Second-guessing is easy. But both of these guys were taken just about where they were expected to go.

mickswag

Reaction score
Hostile;3916574 said:
Rod Graves called today and asked if we would be interested in a move up. I am assuming that they want Green or Jones opposite Fitz and feel that they can add a pick and get one of them.

Thanks, Hos. I'm sure hoping we said we are interested.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
TheCount;3916610 said:
Yeah that was the problem, neither of those guys should have been rated where they were by us. Especially considering the low grade we've given other OT's that have gone before where we had them ranked and gone on to have fine careers.

I remember being pissed when we traded down because Phil Loadholt, William Moore, Sebastian Vollmer and Sean Smith were still on the board.

Sean Smith has gone on to be pretty average, if not bad, but we did pass on Loadholt, Volmer and Moore who I was pretty high on for a bow-legged tackle and an athlete we couldn't find a way to coach up.

All three of those guys are now starters and all three play positions we need just two years later. Hell, maybe Sean Smith would have had a better go at free safety, another position of need.

Loadholt is nothing more than average. Moore is ok, Vollmer was an extremely late riser that most people got pissed about when they heard Dallas scouts had rated the guy as a fairly early pick.

Again, Marten and Brewster werent rated where they were by just us.

You can alwasy play the hindsight is 20/20 game and decide who wasnt worth that pick at the time, and you can do it for every team in the league.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
dbair1967;3916713 said:
Again, Marten and Brewster werent rated where they were by just us.

You can alwasy play the hindsight is 20/20 game and decide who wasnt worth that pick at the time, and you can do it for every team in the league.

Those were solid picks -- the problem I have with both guys is that all the scouting reports had them projected to move inside. We started them at T. And they sucked at it. We finally move them inside they were behind.

Brewster is, however, someone who I don't think is done here. You can cut OL midseason and be reasonably sure you are going to be able to keep them. It is a little bit of a risk, but more something that tells us about where we were roster spot wise.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
visionary;3916127 said:
this is exactly part of my problem with the trade up for PP scenario

we will lose T Smith (our 1st), a DE/NT like Ellis (our 3rd), and by trading down in 2nd we will lose a shot at the better centers/OG like Watkins/Pouncey/Cannon

i dont think PP is worth all that

Amen. We will have a much better chance of helping our O and D lines (and still possibly get a decent DB) more by staying put or trading down. The game is won in the trenches. Trading up would, IMO, suck regardless of how the organization feels about PP. We could help our team, overall, more by not trading up.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Hostile;3916576 said:
Apparently you didn't notice the comment about ILB as opposed to OLB.

My feelings remain the same, but I'll alter my statement.

If the Dallas front office needs to be alerted by a message board admin about the potential of moving an OLB to ILB in a 3-4, things are still worse than I thought.

Let them know that Brewster isn't a tackle and to try him at guard.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
Avery;3916396 said:
For anyone who is opposed to trading a 3rd to move up to select Patrick Peterson, may I offer the following rebuttal:

Jason Williams
Robert Brewster
James Marten
Jason Hatcher
Stephen Peterman
Derek Ross
Willie Blade

And those picks have nothing to do with this year. Just like the Ratliff pick has nothing to do with crappy 7th round picks. Just like the Carpenter pick has nothing to do with the Dez pick.

Every year is different. Although we blew the '09 draft with a slew of low picks (a 1st or 2nd rounder would likely have made that draft better and had it unfold differently) it doesn't mean you give away picks like a high 3rd. Look at what we did in '05. It doesn't mean we can do that again this year, but it shows that it is nice when you have the opportunity to use extra picks (that are not a bunch of low rounders).

Trading down a little allows us to get a top lineman and the ammo to move back into the first while still retaining a 3rd. 2 firsts and a third is more appealing to me than Peterson and a second. I also think that if we trade up and then try to recoup the third by trading down in the 2nd we'll probably miss out on a bunch of guys we liked in the 2nd (early 2nd round is often a great spot to get a sliding top talent). That kinda crap seems to happen when teams get too cute. But I don't think trading down a couple of spots in the first in getting too cute. Top players will be there for us. I'm also good with staying put and taking Tyron. To pick 9th and get the top player at a position of need (with freakish upside) is a gift we should probably just take.

BTW, thanks for the info Hos. Great post and much-appreciated.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Idgit;3916667 said:
Second-guessing is easy. But both of these guys were taken just about where they were expected to go.

I'm not second guessing, I already first guessed. I hated both picks and liked neither as prospects.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
junk;3916737 said:
My feelings remain the same, but I'll alter my statement.

If the Dallas front office needs to be alerted by a message board admin about the potential of moving an OLB to ILB in a 3-4, things are still worse than I thought.

Let them know that Brewster isn't a tackle and to try him at guard.
Who says they needed to be alerted to this? Even I don't and I sent the message. Also, thank you for basically calling me stupid.

visionary

Reaction score
Randy White;3916527 said:
I used to think like that way back, but then after researching draft after draft, mostly for arguments' sake, the facts just say otherwise. The truth of the matter is that the draft is truly a crapshoot no matter where you pick. Sure, there are better odds of landing a productive player the earlier you pick, but it's not just landing the player, it's developing him properly and having a little luck on the side that says you landed the right person. I wish I could say that if we had the 11th pick, we're guaranteed a DeMarcus Ware every time ( not just in terms of talent, but of character ), but that's just not the case. By the time the 3rd round comes along, 64 players have been drafted. If you're picking in the middle of the 3rd, now we're talking into the 80's.. That means that whomever a team is selecting in that round, most of the time, he's just as good as what they already have on the roster, but because of salary reasons, or injury reasons, or even trivial reasons such as " might as well keep the pick to make us look better PR wise " the team keeps the drafted player.

The Cowboys have a young, talented, way underachieving roster. Alot of people, including in the media, don't want to see it, instead taking the easy way out which is: " cut everybody because they haven't produced ", but it is still a talented roster. What that means is that whomever they draft in the 3rd round, there's a great chance that player not have any impact on the roster. We should consider it a good choice just if that player makes the active 45, or whatever they come up with in the next CBA. However, we should be prepare for the fact that there's a good chance we're just going to be drafting the next Robert Brewster, or Williams, or Marteen.. The odds are stacked against us, just like they're stacked against everybody else.

It's not easy coming up with players like Doug Free, or Marion Barber, and even harder: Jason Witten.

:laugh2: :laugh2:

circular logic at its best
or maybe i should call it JJ logic because this is most likely exactly the kind of stuff JJ thinks about when he drafts

randy, i agree with a lot of your posts but this one is a stretch
by this logic all teams should be looking to trade out of round 3 (since "the odds are stacked against everybody")
maybe the NFL should just have a 2 round draft

this needs to be a meat and potatoes draft
we have huge needs at OL, front 7 (DL, ILB), and FS

taking a CB (just becasue he is a flashy player) and losing 2 of your top 3 picks in the process
then trading down in the second to "recoup" the 3rd to address "more needs" so that we lose our shot at the top OT and OGs

this is exactly the kind of drafting that has us in the predicament we are in

i know there was a call for 2 ambulances (by joyful posters) if we trade up to draft PP, better make it 3 anbulances becasue romo will also need one

lostinomiya

Reaction score
Hostile;3916754 said:
Who says they needed to be alerted to this? Even I don't and I sent the message. Also, thank you for basically calling me stupid.

My thoughts exactly. They "needed" to be alerted is just junk.

Great write up Hostile - you seem to think they will stay where they are and take Smith but what makes you doubt they will move up for PP if the possibilities exist with Az and the Browns as you have suggested?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
lostinomiya;3916758 said:
My thoughts exactly. They "needed" to be alerted is just junk.

Great write up Hostile - you seem to think they will stay where they are and take Smith but what makes you doubt they will move up for PP if the possibilities exist with Az and the Browns as you have suggested?
I just think Peterson is so good him falling relies on a lot to happen and it might not. I don't think he will go 1 or 2. CBs never do. It has literally never happened.

I still want us to land him more than any other player by a wide margin. I think he is the best player in this Draft and will be an instant difference maker. I believe he will score defensive TDs and that is winning football. That is what makes Ed Reed and Deion Sanders so special.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Hostile;3916766 said:
I just think Peterson is so good him falling relies on a lot to happen and it might not. I don't think he will go 1 or 2. CBs never do. It has literally never happened.

I still want us to land him more than any other player by a wide margin. I think he is the best player in this Draft and will be an instant difference maker. I believe he will score defensive TDs and that is winning football. That is what makes Ed Reed and Deion Sanders so special.

I think the wildcard is Arizona. It would take our 2nd rounder to get to #5 overall, correct? We could get away with giving our 3rd to Cleveland, but I have a feeling Arizona will try and get a 2nd out of us. If Arizona passes on Peterson, I think Jerry will make the call to the Browns. What do you think?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
visionary;3916755 said:
taking a CB (just becasue he is a flashy player) and losing 2 of your top 3 picks in the process then trading down in the second to "recoup" the 3rd to address "more needs" so that we lose our shot at the top OT and OGs
I understand what you are saying, but there are good OT's and OG's taken after the first round every year. We just need better luck finding them.

Aven8

Reaction score
visionary;3916755 said:
:laugh2: :laugh2:

circular logic at its best
or maybe i should call it JJ logic because this is most likely exactly the kind of stuff JJ thinks about when he drafts

randy, i agree with a lot of your posts but this one is a stretch
by this logic all teams should be looking to trade out of round 3 (since "the odds are stacked against everybody")
maybe the NFL should just have a 2 round draft

this needs to be a meat and potatoes draft
we have huge needs at OL, front 7 (DL, ILB), and FS

taking a CB (just becasue he is a flashy player) and losing 2 of your top 3 picks in the process
then trading down in the second to "recoup" the 3rd to address "more needs" so that we lose our shot at the top OT and OGs

this is exactly the kind of drafting that has us in the predicament we are in

i know there was a call for 2 ambulances (by joyful posters) if we trade up to draft PP, better make it 3 anbulances becasue romo will also need one

I think you nailed it here, but you HAVE to put yourself in Jerry's shoes. He's a salesman and a gambler. He covets splash and big names. Look I would LOVE to get PP, no doubt. I think he and Dareus are 1A and 1B in this draft. I agree if we don't address our needs on the Oline we are cooked. Jerry won't see it that way though, he just can't help himself.

I know I'm ready for this draft. It cannot get here fast enough.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
If you can move up to get an impact blue-chip player at the cost of a 3rd, you do it every single time.

I'm iffy on a 2nd unless we are getting picks in return.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Trade up for Peterson, and then trade next year's 1 to get back up around #12 to get T. Smith. Only acceptable scenario in my opinion, regarding trading up.

If we once again fail to address the offensive line with blue chip talent available, we will be watching the Super Bowl from the seats at Lucas Oil Stadium in February. Guaranteed.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
casmith07;3916917 said:
Trade up for Peterson, and then trade next year's 1 to get back up around #12 to get T. Smith. Only acceptable scenario in my opinion, regarding trading up.

If we once again fail to address the offensive line with blue chip talent available, we will be watching the Super Bowl from the seats at Lucas Oil Stadium in February. Guaranteed.
I would absolutely do that if we could. I feel like we'd be getting two of the top 10 players in this draft and one is the best player in this draft.