My Yearly Report on What I Am Hearing About the Draft

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
great stuff hos. do you know how much it will cost to move up to 6 for PP if that takes place?

mickswag

Reaction score
Hos, can you talk a little more about our convo with Arizona? How did that take place?

Randy White

Reaction score
TheCount;3916477 said:
All that list suggests is we need to stop treating the 3rd round like it's the 5th round. We always outsmart ourselves by thinking we are outsmarting everyone else. Williams, Brewster and Marten are picks that just reek of ego, there was nothing about Marten or Brewster that suggested either had much upside.

I used to think like that way back, but then after researching draft after draft, mostly for arguments' sake, the facts just say otherwise. The truth of the matter is that the draft is truly a crapshoot no matter where you pick. Sure, there are better odds of landing a productive player the earlier you pick, but it's not just landing the player, it's developing him properly and having a little luck on the side that says you landed the right person. I wish I could say that if we had the 11th pick, we're guaranteed a DeMarcus Ware every time ( not just in terms of talent, but of character ), but that's just not the case. By the time the 3rd round comes along, 64 players have been drafted. If you're picking in the middle of the 3rd, now we're talking into the 80's.. That means that whomever a team is selecting in that round, most of the time, he's just as good as what they already have on the roster, but because of salary reasons, or injury reasons, or even trivial reasons such as " might as well keep the pick to make us look better PR wise " the team keeps the drafted player.

The Cowboys have a young, talented, way underachieving roster. Alot of people, including in the media, don't want to see it, instead taking the easy way out which is: " cut everybody because they haven't produced ", but it is still a talented roster. What that means is that whomever they draft in the 3rd round, there's a great chance that player not have any impact on the roster. We should consider it a good choice just if that player makes the active 45, or whatever they come up with in the next CBA. However, we should be prepare for the fact that there's a good chance we're just going to be drafting the next Robert Brewster, or Williams, or Marteen.. The odds are stacked against us, just like they're stacked against everybody else.

It's not easy coming up with players like Doug Free, or Marion Barber, and even harder: Jason Witten.

irishline

Reaction score
Alexander;3916485 said:
Just post Jerry Jones' picture next time and save yourself some key strokes.

He is the one ultimately responsible for each and every one of those choices.

I thought the Q&A article posted in the Garrett and scout thread in the fan zone stated that Jason Williams was someone Phillips fell in love with and wanted not Jones? Could be wrong but pretty sure it addressed that. If that one is true who knows how many of the others followed that pattern.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Hostile;3915484 said:
There is one surprise player we could take in the 2nd that would kind of thrill me because I sent the word to the Cowboys a few months ago. Mason Foster is an OLB at Washington but I told one of my guys to watch the Oregon State game where he shadowed Jacquizz Rogers all over the field. You generally mirror a RB with an ILB not an OLB. It showed Foster's incredible range and instincts. Excellent ILB traits. About a week ago one of the Draft sites mentioned Foster being looked at as an ILB instead of an OLB and mentioned Dallas as interested.

No offense, but if the Dallas scouting staff has to be alerted to a player by a message board admin, they're apparently in much worse shape than I thought. Might explain 2009.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
junk;3916547 said:
No offense, but if the Dallas scouting staff has to be alerted to a player by a message board admin, they're apparently in much worse shape than I thought. Might explain 2009.

:laugh1: The "Might explain 2009." part had me crack up.
That draft was awful.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
mickswag;3916518 said:
Hos, can you talk a little more about our convo with Arizona? How did that take place?
Rod Graves called today and asked if we would be interested in a move up. I am assuming that they want Green or Jones opposite Fitz and feel that they can add a pick and get one of them.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
junk;3916547 said:
Apparently you didn't notice the comment about ILB as opposed to OLB.

pupulehaole

Reaction score
Hostile;3916574 said:
Rod Graves called today and asked if we would be interested in a move up. I am assuming that they want Green or Jones opposite Fitz and feel that they can add a pick and get one of them.

I'm Going to need an ambulance readily available on Day one if we trade to Arizona and get Peterson, I will pass out. I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS DRAFT! Peterson or Smith and I'll be ecstatic.

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
pupulehaole;3916580 said:
I'm Going to need an ambulance readily available on Day one if we trade to Arizona and get Peterson, I will pass out. I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS DRAFT! Peterson or Smith and I'll be ecstatic.

Better make it two ambulances.

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Hos! You would know better then me, but I've had a gut feeling for 2 months that we're going to land Peterson. I hope I'm right and that trade happens bc I think it's not crazy at all that he makes it to #6.

I say that bc I believe 2 qbs will be taken, Darues will be taken, Green and Miller will be taken in the top 5. Again, that's just the way I see it. Don't know the order per say, but I think those guys go top 5.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Corleone;3916589 said:
Better make it two ambulances.

Three... but hey, if I die, it'll take the undertaker a week to get the grin off of my face...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Hos, this is nothing but a great thread... however, I must chastise you for being a little too modest here... it's true that SDogo seems to have some really, really good sources of info, but your sources have been pretty good over the years too... most important, what you post and what SDogo posts are generally pretty much in sync, so it seems that both of your sources are hearing the same thing...

Again, thanks for this thread, man... I have no real criticisms of your take, and eagerly await SDogo's input re: the late round picks...

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
dbair1967;3916500 said:
Upside is a consideration, but you draft to your board. If the guys carry a rating there, then you draft them.

Marten was well thought of coming out of BC and was expected to go late 2nd to early 3th at the worst. Brewster was a late riser but was a guy Gosselin had in his last top-100

Yeah that was the problem, neither of those guys should have been rated where they were by us. Especially considering the low grade we've given other OT's that have gone before where we had them ranked and gone on to have fine careers.

I remember being pissed when we traded down because Phil Loadholt, William Moore, Sebastian Vollmer and Sean Smith were still on the board.

Sean Smith has gone on to be pretty average, if not bad, but we did pass on Loadholt, Volmer and Moore who I was pretty high on for a bow-legged tackle and an athlete we couldn't find a way to coach up.

All three of those guys are now starters and all three play positions we need just two years later. Hell, maybe Sean Smith would have had a better go at free safety, another position of need.

fishspill

Reaction score
TheCount;3916610 said:
Yeah that was the problem, neither of those guys should have been rated where they were by us. Especially considering the low grade we've given other OT's that have gone before where we had them ranked and gone on to have fine careers.

I remember being pissed when we traded down because Phil Loadholt, William Moore, Sebastian Vollmer and Sean Smith were still on the board.

Sean Smith has gone on to be pretty average, if not bad, but we did pass on Loadholt, Volmer and Moore who I was pretty high on for a bow-legged tackle and an athlete we couldn't find a way to coach up.

All three of those guys are now starters and all three play positions we need just two years later. Hell, maybe Sean Smith would have had a better go at free safety, another position of need.

I wouldn't be too quick to anoint Loadholt either. I may have just seen some bad performances of his, but last year he looked average at best. I suppose that would have been an improvement over what we rolled out...

Moore and Vollmer, that would be nice.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
fishspill;3916616 said:
I wouldn't be too quick to anoint Loadholt either. I may have just seen some bad performances of his, but last year he looked average at best. I suppose that would have been an improvement over what we rolled out...

Moore and Vollmer, that would be nice.

Oh trust me, I'm not crowning any of them, but it'd be like if this year we had Marcus Gilbert available and instead took Lee Ziemba. I mean there's of course the chance Ziemba could be the better prospect, but a team would have no business taking Ziemba over Gilbert other than they think they know something no one else does, which is just pure ego.