My Yearly Report on What I Am Hearing About the Draft

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Sasquatch;3915616 said:
One other thing, no interest in Prince, given the possible departure of Newman?
I think he is a lock to Detroit at #12.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;3915655 said:
I don't get the love for McElroy. We've invested 2 years in McGee who showed some promise after a rough start. I know McElroy is close to Garrett and the staff but it doesn't make sense to me that we would cut McGee to bring in a family friend. The fact Greg's dad works for Jerry shouldn't have anything to do with it.

The guy is extremely smart but very limited as a QB. I've watched him for 5 years at Bama and been to numerous practices and scrimmages in which he played even when he wasn't the starting QB. He is not a future starter in the NFL and imo, he is not even another Jason Garrett. Garrett had a quality where players like Aikman and Irvin were drawn to him. McElroy does not have that kind of relationship with his teammates.
I never said we'd cut McGee.

tm1119

Reaction score
Duane;3915617 said:
That would be awesome but you have Minnesota and Detroit that could both take OTs and you'd be stuck with the 3rd best tackle in the draft.

Yeah didn't say it was likely, just that it would damn near perfect if it happened that way. It's not that far fetched tho. We would need Minny to take a qb(locker) and detroit to take Prince. I don't think Smith would go prior to that.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Hostile;3915662 said:
I never said we'd cut McGee.

So we'd keep four QBs? Great idea.

I'm with you, CA. The guy's dad working for the team doesn't mean anything -- or at least shouldn't.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3915687 said:

I'm with you, CA. The guy's dad working for the team doesn't mean anything -- or at least shouldn't.
Practice Squad.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3915687 said:

Practice Squad. Someone would go there.

I think if we get Dalton, he is the 3rd QB and McElroy goes to the PS. McGee goes elsewhere.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Okay, so spend a draft pick on a guy we know in advance won't make the team? And a guy who will never have a chance at being a quality NFL starter?

Again, great idea.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3915696 said:
Okay, so spend a draft pick on a guy we know in advance won't make the team? And a guy who will never have a chance at being a quality NFL starter?

Again, great idea.
He couldn't make the team? Ever? That's just plain silly man. I'll gladly spend a late draft pick on QB every year if it means we can turn some who develop into a high draft pick or we find another Romo. It is worth the gamble. Green Bay made a killing out of trading guys behind Favre to other teams. Philly too. That we should sit idly by and ignore that while we have Romo and Kitna to teach these guys not to mention Garrett and Wilson.

Yeah, great idea.

Gaede

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3915696 said:

Again, great idea.

Yeah, can't say I'm too thrilled about that option. If we don't get a QB early, why bother? None of them are gonna offer us more than McGee

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
casmith07;3915691 said:
Practice Squad. Someone would go there.

I think if we get Dalton, he is the 3rd QB and McElroy goes to the PS. McGee goes elsewhere.
If we have Romo, Kitna, Dalton, and McElroy I'd be one happy son of a gun.

I once again eat a bite of crow for my negativity towards Jon Kitna prior to his taking over last year.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Hostile;3915703 said:
He couldn't make the team? Ever? That's just plain silly man. I'll gladly spend a late draft pick on QB every year if it means we can turn some who develop into a high draft pick or we find another Romo. It is worth the gamble. Green Bay made a killing out of trading guys behind Favre to other teams. Philly too. That we should sit idly by and ignore that while we have Romo and Kitna to teach these guys not to mention Garrett and Wilson.

Yeah, great idea.

You might luck out and find a diamond in the rough too. It's a late round pick. The only late round pick that we had that turned into anything as of late was Jay Ratliff.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Hostile;3915705 said:
If we have Romo, Kitna, Dalton, and McElroy I'd be one happy son of a gun.

I once again eat a bite of crow for my negativity towards Jon Kitna prior to his taking over last year.

How likely do you think it is that we take Dalton at 40 and try and trade immediately back to take Rackley or Ellis?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
casmith07;3915715 said:
How likely do you think it is that we take Dalton at 40 and try and trade immediately back to take Rackley or Ellis?
I don't think we'd take Dalton at 40. I think we'd trade down in the 2nd and take him there and then if we got a 3rd for the trade down I do think we could go after both of those guys.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Martelleus Bennet - "We drafted 2 QB's for a reason, we are 0-1 so far this season, lets give these 2 young guys a shot."

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;3915703 said:

Yeah, great idea.

I've said this before and will say it again, the idea that drafting a QB every single yr is pretty dumb. Especially if you are a team with a probowl calibar starter in his prime and a very capable veteran backup.

If they have decided Steven McGee cant play and has no future role whatsoever, then yeah, spending a late rd pick on a QB makes sense. However the idea that drafting someone and wasting a pick on a QB just for the sake of drafting a QB is silly. The 3rd guy should be a young guy you think you can develop, most times having a guy around only a yr isnt long enough to decide whether he will or will not develop.

What sense does it make to use a pick on a "developmental" QB, only then turn around and give said player little time to actually do so.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Ill take a pro-bowl kicker in the late rounds and not have to worry about that for years over a JAG QB who goes on ESPN First Take and take throw the deep out.

Gaede

Reaction score
Drafting a guy so you can develop him to be a backup one day makes about as much sense as trading down to the third round and exclusively drafting special teamers

RS12

Reaction score
I like Dalton, but he is luxury this team cant afford in the first three rounds. I think it was Vela who wrote a month or two ago that this team is two drafts away. I tend to believe that and the defense still stinks at this point.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
RS12;3915735 said:
I like Dalton, but he is luxury this team cant afford in the first three rounds. I think it was Vela who wrote a month or two ago that this team is two drafts away. I tend to believe that and the defense still stinks at this point.

Vela is wrong. This team is much closer than two drafts away. I think we are one free agent in Huff and this draft away from competing.

Hell, one could argue that we're right there where we should be after the 11-5 year and playoff dismantling of Philadelphia. Then Wade's preparation shined through against Minny.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
casmith07;3915747 said:
Vela is wrong. This team is much closer than two drafts away. I think we are one free agent in Huff and this draft away from competing.

Hell, one could argue that we're right there where we should be after the 11-5 year and playoff dismantling of Philadelphia. Then Wade's preparation shined through against Minny.

I think they need 4 starters in the OL in the next 2 years. So what he may mean is the core isnt there yet.