My Yearly Report on What I Am Hearing About the Draft

Woods

Reaction score
casmith07;3915747 said:
Vela is wrong. This team is much closer than two drafts away. I think we are one free agent in Huff and this draft away from competing.

Hell, one could argue that we're right there where we should be after the 11-5 year and playoff dismantling of Philadelphia. Then Wade's preparation shined through against Minny.

I think we're 1 good draft and solid coaching from being a playoff team.

However, I'm not sure we're only 1 good draft and coaching away to consistently compete against teams like NE, Pitts, GB.

Let's see how it goes . . . . but I'm in this for the long run with Garrett as HC.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3915748 said:
I think they need 4 starters in the OL in the next 2 years. So what he may mean is the core isnt there yet.

I agree except on Gurode. I think he is okay for a bit longer.

But we can still win without needing a brand new offensive line. If we were even decent at RT when we were 11-5, we would've been fine. Free should have started the game against Minnesota.

Randy White

Reaction score
dbair1967;3915728 said:
The 3rd guy should be a young guy you think you can develop, most times having a guy around only a yr isnt long enough to decide whether he will or will not develop..

This...

Drafting a QB every 2 years ? Ok, I'm down with it. Hoss is right in that you should do that just to see what comes up. After all, who the heck cares, or even remember, who was the 4th, 5th, or 6th round pick 2 or 3 years ago if the guy didn't make the team. You really never know what happens with QBs and the Cowboys might hit the jackpot at some point.

However, drafting one every year is silly and counterproductive. You're not going to give the guy you drafted the year before much time, so you won't REALLY know what he can do with just one year, but yet you're going to bring ANOTHER one. To do what ? sit around and watch the previous guy take 5 snaps in practice ?

If you want the Dallas Cowboys to become a farm system for QBs ( and I do ), then do it the right way. Draft or sign one, develop him PROPERLY then trade him. Draft another one 2 years later and go through the same process.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
casmith07;3915753 said:
I agree except on Gurode. I think he is okay for a bit longer.

But we can still win without needing a brand new offensive line. If we were even decent at RT when we were 11-5, we would've been fine. Free should have started the game against Minnesota.

Hell they could have won if they had Garrett all year.

Swap out Wade, Ball, and Colombo for Garrett, Huff, and anyone else and they should be in the mix.

But I think they are aginf badly along the line and in the secondary they may have no keepers if Jenkins doesnt turn it around. So I would agree that they are 2 good drafts away from getting there. They need to hit some home-runs here.

Between this year and next year 3-4 starting OL, 1-2 DB's, 1 LB, and a DE. Not to mention at least some contributors at WR and RB who can be late round types

Aven8

Reaction score
For the love of me I still don't get the love for McElroy, other then his highlights as a Southlake Carroll Dragon.

and

Andy Dalton. Very good college QB, but I just don't see it in the pro's. He's got a great head on his shoulders and is a super nice guy, and has won a lot of games. (I've seen almost all his 4 years) I think I heard Casserly, or somebody, say that Coaches feel he could come right in and start, but not be a wow QB, just a decent QB.

I could be wrong, they might be Tom Brady's or Tony Romo's, but I don't see it.

clutch88

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3915484 said:
Every year I try and share the info I've gotten regarding the Draft.

The first thing I want to confirm is that Jerry is getting A LOT of calls about trades. This is encouraging to me because it could mean we are going to get a pretty screaming deal from someone. Who it could be I don't know at this point.

Okay, we do have a trade on the table with Cleveland if Patrick Peterson makes it to number 6. Cleveland is looking WR and expects to land Julio Jones and feels they can get him at 9. The scouting department and front office and coaching staff all see Peterson as a once a decade talent at his position. That is why we would go up for him and give away our 3rd round pick to do it.

If we stay put at #9, don't be shocked but that pick is most likely Tyron Smith. I know Mosley is saying absolutely not, but I want you to think about this. He is the guy we've invested the most time in. The media wrongly reported he is the only guy Jason Garrett went to see. Why would we spend that much and pass on him?

He is the player we have probably the greatest chance of ending up with. I would say 80% chance this is our guy. He will be used at RT despite what some publications are saying about not taking RTs in the top 10. Free is the LT and Smith played RT at USC. No need to screw with that.

If Smith is gone for some reason we would likely accept an offer from either Detroit or St. Louis to move down. You've seen rumors about Aldon Smith. Forget them. No one I have talked to gives those any credence at all. The pick is most likely Castonzo if we trade down from 9th unless Smith also falls for some reason. There is a chance we are hearing he is falling and we're going to capitalize on this. Not saying it is a given, but it could happen.

Some will ask, what about Carimi? They like him but not as much as those two. Those two would have to be gone for them to take Carimi. They feel similar about Solder, but he might drop out of round 1.

I also feel I need to comment on Mike Pouncey. Yes, we absolutely could end up taking him if we trade down to middle of round 1 and there is a deal on the table to do this. I would probably actually put him ahead of Carimi and Solder as a possibility. So his reason for being so sure he's coming to Dallas could be that he was told we may trade down to the middle of the round and we would take him. Players are almost always told where we might take them. Some get excited about this. He would be a Guard most likely. He can play Center, but is seen as better at Guard.

I give a trade up or a trade down and equal 10% chance of happening. 1st round money is still on Tyron Smith.

Jason Garrett loves TCU QB Andy Dalton. The Cowboys will not take him with the #40 pick and if we take Peterson in a trade up we will not take him at all because #40 will be for a RT. I think Solder, Sherrod, or Ijalana if we end up with Peterson and one of the first two falls.

If we get our RT in round 1, be it Smith or Castonzo, and we trade down in the 2nd round to add picks watch closely because we may be taking Dalton. If he is there in the 3rd round we absolutely will take him. He won't make the 3rd round. I am sure of that. What I am not sure of is how much we want him. Basically I am just telling you that the interest in him is absolutely genuine and high.

Right now at #40 the odds are we will decide between 2 players in the defensive backfield. Rahim Moore of UCLA and Aaron Williams of Texas (he would move to Safety). Williams is the player more likely to be gone of the 2. He might end up at the bottom of the 1st round. If a surprise player is there this could change, but these 2 are the most likely choices at this time that are expected to be in that area.

There is one surprise player we could take in the 2nd that would kind of thrill me because I sent the word to the Cowboys a few months ago. Mason Foster is an OLB at Washington but I told one of my guys to watch the Oregon State game where he shadowed Jacquizz Rogers all over the field. You generally mirror a RB with an ILB not an OLB. It showed Foster's incredible range and instincts. Excellent ILB traits. About a week ago one of the Draft sites mentioned Foster being looked at as an ILB instead of an OLB and mentioned Dallas as interested.

Hey, I can hope.

As I said above, if Dalton is there with this pick, we take him. 100% guarantee.

Right now the 2 main players they are looking at here are OG Will Rackley out of Lehigh and NT Kenrick Ellis out of Hampton. We love both players and it is doubtful we could land both unless we ignore S in round 2 and take one of them. If both are gone it could be Brandon Harris if he continues to fall or Marcus Cannon or Danny Watkins on the OL. If both Rackley and Ellis are there I think we could take one and trade back into the 3rd almost immediately and take the other too.

I would be thrilled if we do that.

Lots of room in the 4th through 7th rounds and nothing is really concrete anywhere. My pet cat, Cecil Shorts is a very serious option. I have not heard a peep about my FB Henry Hynoski, so I assume he is not. If we do not take Andy Dalton I will bet my favorite hat we take Greg McElroy of Bama on Saturday in one of the rounds. His dad works for the Cowboys.

DeMarcus Van Dyke is someone who we are showing a bit of interest in for these rounds. If Mark Herzlich makes it to the 4th round I think we'd pounce on him. I would love that too. If you watched the story about him hosted by Steve Mariucci on NFLN you had to be jazzed. What a great kid.

What I am hearing right now as it pertains to Free Agency. We will hopefully re-sign Kosier, Free, and Sensabaugh. There are 5 high priced veterans who may either be cut outright, cut and re-signed to better deals, or renegotiated deals immediately. These moves need to clear cap room if we get a CBA.

Right now, I do not think we will get a CBA. I believe they will play with another uncapped year and on the 2010 Guidelines. This disturbs me, but I think the owners want this more than they want to get a deal done. Think about it. UFA again moves to 6 years instead of 4 and then an even bigger UFA pool next year. More pressure on the players association because more guys without deals.

It absolutely would help Jerry though, because all of these guys would likely be kept for depth if he doesn't have to care about a Cap.

The player most in danger of being gone is Terence Newman. His cap savings if we cut him is huge. I would hate to lose him and he may re-sign at a lower deal. I hope so.

I'll be shocked if Marion Barber is here. I love him, but his production does not match his salary at all.

Colombo is one I think will be cut and re-signed to a lower deal as insurance and Barron would be gone. If Colombo is gone we keep Barron as insurance.

I think Leonard Davis is safe, but his deal is not good for the team. If we do draft Rackley in the 3rd I can see us starting Holland at RG and letting Davis go and developing Rackley to start. Both our OGs are long in the tooth.

Keith Brooking will be back but probably backs up Sean Lee.

Roy Williams costs us nothing if we release him after this season. That and the troubles Dez has had keep him around 1 more year at least.

I absolutely think Michael Huff will be our starting FS in 2011. He may be the only UFA we sign due to the cap.

EDIT...One thing I want to add. If SDogo chimes in for this thread and shares anything, you should absolutely give it more credence than my report here. His Draft sources are better than mine. I pay absolute attention to his info.
Great read Hos!

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Great stuff Hos, I always look forward to this thread!

Christmas in April, gotta love the draft!

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Great read Hos, thanks for the information.

Hopefully SDogo is hearing similar things.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
SDogo;3915774 said:
Great stuff Hos, I always look forward to this thread!

Christmas in April, gotta love the draft!
If you have additions or corrections just let me know.

Woods

Reaction score
Hos, if you think that Huff may be the only FA we sign (due to the cap potentially), do you still think that R Moore is the likely pick at 40 assuming we take T Smith at 9 (and we don't trade down with 40)? I'm assuming A Williams is also gone by 40.

Thanks.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Hostile;3915781 said:
If you have additions or corrections just let me know.

If I can get some verification on a few things either today or tomorrow I'll follow up this weekend.

For the most part you seemed to cover it. I have a few slight additions and if I can get some more information a variance on one point that should bring up some good discussion.

I also got some interesting news on some lesser prospects in rounds 4-7 that we have been searching for. Jason Garrett made more then a few stops along the NCAA game trail this season then the media has caught on to.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3915729 said:
Ill take a pro-bowl kicker in the late rounds and not have to worry about that for years over a JAG QB who goes on ESPN First Take and take throw the deep out.

MBIV, you've got too much going on in your posts (signature, graphics, quotes, et cetera), I have a hard time reading them, lol.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Woods;3915786 said:
Hos, if you think that Huff may be the only FA we sign (due to the cap potentially), do you still think that R Moore is the likely pick at 40 assuming we take T Smith at 9 (and we don't trade down with 40)? I'm assuming A Williams is also gone by 40.

Thanks.
I addressed this early in the thread, but I'll share again. I think if we take Moore at #40 we could either let Sensy walk away or give him one more 1 year deal and let Moore learn a year.

I think we'll sign one other player in Free Agency, but as yet I don't know who that might be. I assume OL. But it is merely that, an assumption.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really fantastic stuff, Hos. Thanks for sharing.
Hostile;3915484 said:
If Colombo is gone we keep Barron as insurance.

I totally get this. In a very similar way, I keep a big pile of oily rags in my basement as insurance against fire.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;3915805 said:
Keep 4 QBs? That doesn't make a lot of sense does it?
We've done it a couple of times in the last few years with a guy on the PS. What happens if we stand pat with our 3 QBs and Kitna suddenly retires after this year? The draft is about the future every bit as much as it is about this year. I don't see QB as a luxury at all.

CoCo

Reaction score
jimnabby;3915816 said:
Really fantastic stuff, Hos. Thanks for sharing.

I totally get this. In a very similar way, I keep a big pile of oily rags in my basement as insurance against fire.

This really made me laugh out loud... :laugh2:

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Hostile;3915818 said:
We've done it a couple of times in the last few years with a guy on the PS. What happens if we stand pat with our 3 QBs and Kitna suddenly retires after this year? The draft is about the future every bit as much as it is about this year. I don't see QB as a luxury at all.

Gotcha, thanks for the input.

I would love to add Dalton, I just don't see him being there. I don't see McElroy as adding anything to the mix. But hey, that's just my opinion. I certainly trust Garrett to do what's best for the organization.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;3915828 said:
Gotcha, thanks for the input.

I would love to add Dalton, I just don't see him being there. I don't see McElroy as adding anything to the mix. But hey, that's just my opinion. I certainly trust Garrett to do what's best for the organization.
This is a smart QB needed system. McElroy is. Stanzi is my other QB I like.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
So no real intrest in a 3-4 DEs? Unless the plan is to resign MSpears we'll need some boddies up front. Cam Jordan and JJ Watt would be my plan B and C, with plan A being Tyson Smith, but if we landed Smith in round 1, I'd target a guy like Heyward in rd 2.